Becky's garden - Summer 2010

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Becky, couldn't read the tag it as faded.. *sigh* Your kikyo pink is vining, i used a paint pen on that tag.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra - I have no idea! Let's see what the next blooms produce. It's really pretty and I like the blending at the ends of the petals. Definitely different and quite lovely!

Jackie - Well, the disappointment with Blue Speckles may be that the bloom from the seeds might produce solid blue blooms instead of the cool speckles. I think everyone likes it for the speckles, so it would be a disappointment to be just a solid blue color!

Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, Very nice eye candy, I miss seeing these babies in person. Those blues are really nice with the white rays almost taking over.

Elsa, how did the cactus seeds do that I sent you, and the Gourds, hopefully you got a good crop. I know you said your son was so excited to get them but I never heard back from you.

Jackie, the blue speckles are really neat, who would have thought that so many varieties were going to crop up in both the I. nils and Purpureas.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I like it anyway because I love color blocked blooms as well as
the speckles. lol

Antoinette and Jackie - Thank you! :-)

My Silver Wolf vine is barely alive but is still producing one or two blooms a day. It turned out to be almost sterile. Few seeds. I will grow out the couple that I got and hope for better luck on the next grow out with them.

Today one of the blooms on the vine was most interesting! It had not one, but two relatively large flags coming from the throat. It looked more like a carnation or peony bloom to me than a MG. Sure wished it had produced more seeds!

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 6:09 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Gautier, MS

Wow Becky that is an awesome bloom!! Just beautiful.

My vine is still doing good and climbing, I'm hoping for more blooms.

Becky, that is drop dead gorgeous.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Just stunning!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8018768

Really Lovely, I love that look on that one. What is its name? Silver Wolf?

Thanks everyone! It was definitely an odd bloom today. I can't believe the vine is still alive. And these weird blooms must be coming from somewhere in the genetic background of these cultivars. I wonder if this might have come from Kyushu University. I saw one on their website with flowers like the normal Silver Wolf blooms from last year's grow-outs. Interesting, huh?

This message was edited Aug 5, 2010 12:11 AM

Pretoria, South Africa

Becky,

Silver Wolf definitely takes first prize this year. An absolute winner!

Antoinette,

The cactus seeds has a sad story to it: the first batch got drowned by the gardener, and then the second sowing was poisoned by him, using weedkiller to get rid of some weeds in between the paving bricks. Needless to say he has been banished from my garden apart from cutting the grass. I don't use any poisons, so it was not received well...

Elsa

I want to show y'all a couple of crosses.

This is one of Antoinette's that I got a year or so ago from her.

This is Hanafubuki x Blue Tie Dye.

Can you see the bloom features of both those cultivars in this bloom? I can. Pretty cool cross!

And this one is a cross from this Spring. It is Full Moon (Yukon) which is a pale yellow bloom crossed with Blue Speckles. This is the 3rd bloom on this new vine. None of the blooms are opening completely. So ... not sure what the deal is with that!

The bad thing is that the yellow bloom color is a recessive gene in this cross. The blooms are white (not yellow) with the blue speckles. The seeds came from Full Moon. It was a partially sterile vine. No pollen production and so I had to cross it with pollen from another MG. I was warned that the Yellow Moon tended to be sterile. It's true, unfortunately. It will be interesting to see what the F2 will produce from the seeds of this vine. Will the yellow show up, will the speckles return, or will it produce something else entirely. THAT is the question!

Love that last bloom Becky. Hope the yellow shows back up in future
blooms.

Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, that Silver Wolf looks great. It will be interesting to see the Hanafubuki x Blue Tie Dye (from parks) cross's next flowers...
Is Full Moon the name of a I. nil? Lots of people are crossing many speckles with the Kikyo's.. as you can see, they generated a whole bunch of interest from several growers.

Elsa, let me know if you need more seeds, some of the Golden Barrel cactus have fruit on them now. Sorry that happened to you. How did the gourds do?

By the way Becky, all of my plumeria bit the dust this year too.. I still have 4 or 5 Clematis and all the passies are goners too.

Jackie - Me, too! Here is a photo of the bloom from Full Moon x Blue Speckles. It is creating a beautiful large white bloom with blue speckles. I am curious to see what the F1 looks like from this cross.

Gourd - Your Hanafubuki x Blue Tie Dye cross is wonderful! I'll post a photo here next! So sorry to hear that you lost a lot of your plants this past winter, too! We had such a cold, cold winter for Florida! I lost all my passifloras too. This year I am growing them in containers. Will move them to the garage if need be!

A - Here is the current bloom from Hanafubuki x Blue Tie Dye. Dark pink x blue = a light purple! LOL! I love it! A neat cross and very pretty bloom!

I've started 15 seeds in cups in the plastic bins! One cup has a Silver Wolf seed in it. Today I saw one of the seeds sprout already! The 15 seeds are from the Blue Speckles vine. I want to see how many of the vines produce speckled flowers. This is a grow-out to stablize the speckled blooms. I hope I can get a couple of vnes that have those same blue speckled flowers on them!

This message was edited Aug 9, 2010 5:14 PM

Love those last 2 blooms Becky

me too!

Pretoria, South Africa

Antoinette,

He would love some seed if you have, but please don't put yourself out to collect.

Becky,

Holding thumbs for your grow-out.

Elsa

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Becky nice blooms! Every square foot of trellis in my garden is jammed packed with Mgs, I wish I could start more!

Thumbnail by Jiny
Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, that looks purple to me also, but, those Tie Dyes that year were a blue purple from Parks, so anything is possible.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2010 8:21 AM

Aschaffenburg, Germany

Becky, the dark spots on the leaves http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7998509 it this rust?

Martin

Good eye, martin. I just now went back to look. I get breath taken away at the blooms. I can't wait for my tie dye to bloom.

Mesilla Park, NM

Get some Tie Dye's from Parks Seeds, you can get some nice flowers you can "Isolate"

Mesilla Park, NM

Jon, very nice pinks there.. looking good in the neighborhood!

Martin - The dark leaves are the result of rust. The rust is actually the orange color clusters on some of the leaves. You can see it if you look closely at the photo. Rust forms on the underside of the leaves.

Thanks to everyone for the kind compliments on my blooms! It is a joy to go through the garden every morning! I feel like Debra ... I may just have to be late for work when I go back in a week! LOL!

Here are some new blooms from today...

This is Antoinette's large Chocolate Blizzard ... which I like the name Blushing Bride for this one! It is really a beautiful bloom!

Jon - Your blooms are looking to the sky! Lovely indeed! I am just amazed at all the blooms you are getting on that vine! :-)

This is a Pie in the Eye ... Blue Speckles.

Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, is that one from today? Just very nice!!! That is a good name too.

Plum Shadows. (Bloom #1)

Yes! That was taken today, Antoinette! :-)

This is Plum Shadows (bloom #2). Totally a surprise!

Mesilla Park, NM

That blue speckles is very interesting like that, it looks good, just the contrast alone makes a statement...

Now Plum Shadows has a very nice center/throat, it almost looks like if it has been painted red in the middle.. I've never seen these two shades together, they may exist, I just haven't seen them.

A - I thought the Plum Shadows was quite different, too. I agree that the color combo is very unusual. I really like it! Thanks for sharing that one with me!

This is my Full Moon x Blue Speckles. Larger bloom and it seems to have a yellow throat. I am so tickled to get this cross! It will be interesting to see what the F1 seeds produce.

A - Here is a bloom today from your Fuji Shibori x Ten Ten! Love it!

Ishidatami solid petal sporting a spider! :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, be still my heart... Please save me a couple of seed for the Full Moon x Blue Speckles if you get some... I've got that fertilizer on my list for Sat or Sun and will get you one when I get mine.. They should have some on the shelves here and maybe it is on sale, if it is, I'll grab a couple for you.

Gosh, I can hardly wait to start some for this winter..

A - I hope to get seeds from that bad boy! The Blue Speckles was a great seed maker! So hopefully those genetics will pass along on the cross, as Full Moon was a stingy seed producer and I had to cross it to get the seeds I did from it! :-/

Here is double Jishi. So pretty!

Kikyo Lace single petal bloom with a flag in the throat. Beautiful!

Fuji Musume (Wisteria Girl) from Darren. Thanks for sharing, Darren!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.