Accessible Gardening Thread #12 (Compassion for...)

mulege, Mexico

I grew up in Northern Michigan so I absolutely know what you mean.

kb

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Good - people around here def.make me feel like I'm whining as they wear flip-flops, shorts and sleeveless shirts just because it's 70*! It has to be 70* at night, too, and my internal temp. has to ar least get up to 98*! (My normal is around 95-96* and my BP 85-90/40-50, my pulse hard to discern.) My PT wants me to get my PCP to prescribe drugs to increase my BP!

Midland City, AL

Carrie, is that a known symptom of MS? Sounds similar to the symptoms Kay has because of hypothyroidism. I used to be jealous of how she never broke a sweat and could look cool and collected wearing one of those women's suits in August. In summer, I come back inside drenched in sweat just from the short walk to the mailbox. It never crossed my mind it was all symptoms of an illness. The doctor caught it on a routine blood test.
I know your package was insured Kb. I'll give the postal service to the end of the week and then start calling. Does mail service in that part of Mexico tend to be slow? (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yup, Jim. My neuro will explain it's all related to my amigdyla and I'll nod knowingly. Which is why Debra's first post ever "I have MS and I garden in D/FW" took me so much by surprise, because generally, people with MS get hot too fast and prefer cooler climates. But me, I just cannot control my body temperature well at all by myself. We keep the house at 70-72 in the winter and as long as it is 68-80 outside, I do ok. Much colder than that, I start adding silk long underwear, wfront and back are dry.ool socks, wool long underwear, wool sweaters, sweatshirts, corduroys, but this can be if it's 67 during the day and 55 at night -- I'm frozen! Never expect me to go to a fall football game (up north, at least) or an A/C movie. The low BP is a symptom of MS, although it runs in my family too, just not THIS low. Hotter than 85 I start not being able to think and sweating strangely. Like my thighs will sweat but the rest of my legs - calves, feet, ankles, hips, etc, -- will stay dry as the Sahara. My face will pour sweat but my armpits and arms and hands and scalp and neck and front and back are dry! IT'S SO WEIRD!!!

BTW, are Debra and I the only ones not allowed to donate blood? I'm not allowed to donate blood or organs or platelets or corneas or anything! I mean, they don't think it's contagious, but they think a blind person who's missing a cornea would rather not risk getting MS (which is very treatable these days) than take a chance at getting a cornea or a kidney or a heart or liver? And shouldn't it be the recipient's decision?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, I think MS is scary to most people.Guess we're all scared of things we don't understand. I've never been able to donate blood either. Always too anemic.My normal RBC is lower than a normal persons.Mine tops out at 12 and normal is 14.
I rarely sweat and have always had to watch out for heat stroke.Don't know why.
My face sometimes sweats now and means i'm having heart problems.
Cold gets to me some too but not like it does to you.
I drove out to get the mail and
was such a beautiful day. I drove out on a forest mountain road and injoyed the scenery. Still some leaf color, looked at rocks. Saw so much fern.
Two more days till i can get my stove.
We have an abundance of large acorns this year. The deer and other wildlife should be fat for winter.
Have found some Kudzu but had better wait till spring to transplant it.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

But if you were dying of liver failure and there was a matching liver available in perfect condition from someone who had MS, which you take it, or die of liver failure?

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Is there really any question there? Since MS is not a disease of the liver, it would not seem to matter. It also is not a blood borne disease to my knowledge. However I certainly do not even claim to be all knowing or even up; to date with current medical protocols or treatments.

mulege, Mexico

I want a brain transplant. The one I have now is all grubby.

Does anyone here take Metformin for diabetes? I think a lot of my less-than-happy frame of mind is a side effect but am wondering what others have experienced. I have almost no energy and just feel crappy (am I allowed to say that here?).

grumpy hugs, katie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Sheri, Because "they" haven't pinpointed the cause of MS, but do think it could be caused by a virus, the restrictions are just in case. If viral and we give blood or an organ, we could infect the new host.

Katie, I lovvvvvve that. May I borrow the grubby brain descriptor? LOL I am sorry you feel crappy--yes, you can say that here. :-)

Debra

mulege, Mexico

Debra, You can borroww the description. You are also welcome to borrow the brain.

kb

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

There is no generally agreed upon 'cause' of MS, and so, it 'might' be transmitted any way, even a way they haven't thought of yet. The ethics committees need to get together and compare living with the possibility of m-a-y-b-e someday getting MS which m-i-g-h-t in 20-30 years get as bad as mine -- although they have MUCH better treatments now, not just symptomatic but actual getting at the MS itself--vs. dying now for sure of kidney, liver, lung or heart disease.

Sheri, Debra and I are NOT PERMITTED to give blood. I'm listed as an organ donor on my Driver's License but as soon as they found out I had MS they would cancel the transplant.

It's not our choice or the recipient's choice; it's correct medical procedure at the moment, SOP. Idiotic, I agree. When I was dying of pneumonia 8-9 years ago, it had gotten to the point where the MDs all were predicting my heart would give out. Nope, my heart and lungs and all my other organs were STRONGER than they "should" have been. Anyone needs a transplant, I recommend MY STUFF (if I'm done with it,totally done).

Katie, if your fuzzy brain is plaque-free, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

Midland City, AL

My Dad was on the waiting list for a kidney when he died. I know he would not have hesitated a moment about accepting a kidney from a donor who had MS. Isn't MS a slowly progressing illness? Doesn't it usually strike people in the prime of life? Dad would have probably died of simple old age before MS would have become an issue, even if there WERE a viral cause to MS. I do think it should be the decision of the recipient. All Dad really cared about was living long enough to see his daughters into adulthood.
Katiebear, Papa J and I were talking today about how glad we will be when they can install wetwear interfaces and computer augment human brains. (We were shopping at HD, but had forgot our list. We were trying to remember it.) Then, lightning struck nearby, and we began to think of potential problems with that solution. lol.
You are going to have to share your secrets for finding good plant deals on perennials, Debra. It is suppose to get down into the 30's at night by Friday. I thought sure I would find some good end-of-season deals today. All I found were tropicals and cool season annuals. (grumble...grumble) Haven't given up yet. Will try Lowe's and the local nurseries tomorrow. ~Nadine~.

mulege, Mexico

I am so irritable that I think I must be getting better.

Tony's father is now scheduled for surgery on Nov 18 which is when I will be on my way to No Ca to see Amma. I think our friend Jon can take care of the dogs and since Dana and Tom, my next-door neighbors are here everything should work out OK.

We will start van clean-up in a day or two and there are some things that I can pack now. A lot of the preparation is fairly routine but the trips are always somewhat difficult. The best way is to prepare thoroughly and then take my time on the road. And hope it doesn't rain.

kb

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep...grumpy definitely can be a sign of getting better! At least ya don't just feel totally blah anymore if you are getting grumpy.

I'm praying for a quick recovery for you , my friend.

Hugs,
Sheri

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Kb, if being irritable is a sign of recovery, I must be doing VERY well. lol. Positive thoughts and prayers for you and yours.
Nadi came across an old Farmer’s Almanac and has become fascinated by astrological gardening. She tells me I have to plant today to take advantage of the lunar influences. Uh-hph, it is rainy, cooling down fast and my joints hurt. She’s decided to cut me some slack and gone to get a few bags of potting soil. Wouldn’t want to plant contrary to the Moon, now would I? Give me patience for the enthusiasm of youth! :-) Kay*

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay, Plant what? We're expecting our first hard frost and you're planting something. There's something wrong with that picture!!!!LOL
Katie, I'll take your fuzzy brain too. In fact i'll be glad to take parts from anyone of you willing to give.
Grumpy is a good sign. Now find someone deserving of a good dose of grumpiness and let em have it.How about writing a letter to some good ole American politicians(any of them will do) Hope you get well quick and have a safe trip to Cal.
I take Glipizide for diabetis. Which reminds me my blood sugar has been up around 200 this week. The bologny sandwich sandwich i just ate probably did'nt help any. Have'nt had any sweets tho
I want so much to pack up and take off but that eye surgery and a couple other things put everything else on hold. Who knows, I may take off with just gas money.LOL Am trying to get together stuff for a garage sale but Gee i'm slow.
Nadine, my Lowes are stripped bare of flowers. They have a bunch of Norfork Pines for Christmas. Sure hope they get some Christmas cactus later. My dream stove was all sold, But the beautiful salesman said he'd ordered some more and they should be here in two weeks.

My grandmother was a firm beleiver in planting by the moon. Not me! I plant when the brain mood hits. LOL
I found a good place to overwinter the cannas. Right up against my south living room wall. It'll be protected from the north and east wind.I'll pile the leaves high too.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

There is a "Gardening by the Moon" forum on DG, you know, you crazies!

mulege, Mexico

I'm happy to report that I slept DEEPLY for several hours last night and early this morning. It's the first time in months that that has happened and, boy, do I feel the differemce.

My ankle is still tender and I am being very careful of it. If all goes well, I'll be seeing Amma Thanksgiving week and she usually has a good acupuncture person there whom I will see at least once. I'll be seeing my Kaiser doctor the following week and we will reevaluate any and all meds.

Have no idea what I'll do today. Enjoy the day and take good care of myself. Hope all of you do the same.

hugs, katie

Midland City, AL

Sounds like good advice to me, Katie. Kay is feeling just good enough to get herself in trouble if we don't stay on her case. She is doing a lot of winter sowing in pots today. Everything from goiji berries to calendula. Stuffing more stuff in the little "winter salads" greenhouse. I don't suppose she can get in too much trouble doing that. She told Nadi that since she was born a "moonchild" (in the sign of Cancer), she can plant successfully any darn time she pleases. lol. I always thought she was rather luny...eh,,,I mean lunar. (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

There is a "Gardening by the Moon" forum on DG, you know, you crazy nuts - I wrote that yesterday (the 7th) but for some reason I never pushed send! Trying to finish this article!!!

Midland City, AL

Thanks, Carrie. I put that on the forums to watch. I think planting by the moon is worth experimenting with. It certainly has a long history. I guess when you have a lot of aches and pains though; you have to do work when your body says you can. No matter what the moon and stars suggest.
I think being born the last of June makes me a “moonchild” too. Meaning, old scorpions should be careful of their stingers if they want that from-scratch German chocolate birthday cake. Now, I just might decide to make a mooncake instead. lol. .
I think Papa Jim is grumpy because we went to the furniture store to buy him a new desk chair for his birthday, but ended up buying a new kitchen table instead. It is going to be harder than I thought to find a comfortable desk chair for a tall person with back trouble. If I keep looking I might find one by Christmas. He adapted the one he has to his needs by adding a headrest taken from a second chair so getting the same style chair isn’t an option.
Kay slept all day so the rest of us did play. lol. I'm sure she'll be back to cracking the whip tomorrow. She is slowly
getting better. ~Nadine~

Midland City, AL

Hey, I like mooncake, if it is what I'm thinking it is. ( A pastry filled with sweetened red bean paste). But, I'll play nice before they decide to stick a candle in that southern classic, the moonpie. lol. (Jim)

Midland City, AL

Yep, a candle stuck in a moon pie with an RC cola. (Do they still make RC? I've heard jokes abut it all my life, but I've never even seen it.)
Does an acupuncture treatment hurt much, Katiebear?
We plant garlic and perennial onions in the ground outside this time of year, Vickie. Turnips and mustard go thru the winter too. MK planted some kind of giant red mustard greens in the FLOWER beds. I guess it isn't any stranger than the ornamental cabage in most flower beds this time of year. It sure taste better. :-)
I'm so wired about getting into culinary school I'm having trouble getting to sleep tonight. ~Nadine~

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Nadine, Don't remember you trying to get into culanary school. Congratulations!!! We expect many wonderful things from you.
Turnip and mustard greens sound fabulous.Wait till Kay and Jim are relagated to gardening in big pots.Wish i'd thought of plantng some.(turnip and mustard,not pots)
Had'nt thought of RC in years. If it's still around count on it being sold in Arkansas.
Jim I'd like to hear more about this moonpie.
Is the first part of June a moon child too? I must be a feral child of the universe. Actually i'm a Gemini, Which is why i have a split personalty.LOL
Katie Am so glad you had a sound nights sleep. I can appreciate the feeling to celebrate.Hows Tonys Father?
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Glad to see everyone still here. I've been in bed for two nights and one day. A nasty bug. Tony is not here today so either he got it or his father is worse. He hasn't called as he wouldn't want to wake me up if I'm still asleep.

I just stripped all the leaves off my apple tree. This at the direction of a man who grows lots of apples in Santa Cruz. Seems that one way to get apples in warm climates is to see that they only produce one crop a year. This is my first year of trying this so we'll see how it goes.

Since I haven't been out of bed hardly for a 40 hours, I don't have any news To answer a previous question - in my experience accupunture doesn't hurt.

The upside of being sick is that my ankle is much improved.

hugs, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm glad, very glad, that you're feeling better, Katie! Myself, I went to New Orleans with DH and without DD#2 and had a lovely time. The thing was, I kept falling asleep! I think a W/C ride over cobblestones at breakneck speed is exhausting! Jeez.... Add more alcohol than I'm accustomed to in a year and you get one very groggy Carrie. Anyway, I'm glad you didn't miss me too too much. Now I have to COMPLETE my article about Enterprise AL and their curious statue, so don't think I'm ignoring you.

Midland City, AL

Vickie, my goal is to one day own my own bakery. I will study cooking, in addition to business and accounting courses. I will have to work for an established bakery at first, of course, but eventually I want to go out on my own.
I think the first part of June means Mercury. You sound mercurial to me. :-) I'll ask Kay. She made money as an astrologer (of sorts) way back in the 80's. PJ told me she made money doing natal horoscopes for CABBAGE PATCH DOLLS. Remember those? The funny-faced dolls that came with names and birth certificates? I remember my elder sister having one. I can't imagine paying anyone a $100 to have a doll's birth chart done. My sister told me, though, that at the height of the Cabbage Patch craze a lot of childless, adult professional women and couples would buy the dolls and even set up nurseries for them. They played Mommy and Daddy with their doll children while waiting for their careers to allow them time to have the real deal. O-o-ohkay....and people say MY generation is weird! lol. ~Nadine~

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I do remember the cabbagepatch dolls. Luckily i was in between kids and grandkids and did'nt have to deal with them. My GS were into those Ninga Turtle transformers things.The girls got Betty crocker toy kitchen stuff but mostly they played outside climbing trees,playing in mud etc. Sometimes their mom did too.
LOL Nadine, I decided a long time ago that even tho i loved the human race. We were decidedly very much on the crazy side.How we've lasted this long is a total mystery and miracle.
I love being mercurial. Sounds kinda mysterious.
I will buy from your famous bakery and tell everyone i knew you way back when, Speaking of which. I've cooked and froze pears and apples all day. The apples i mixed with pineapple and cranberrys to make a sauce for Thanksgiving.I missed out on the sweetpotatoes as they were all sold. Will still buy a few from the supermarket.My nephew, Paul will trade me some venisen for some homemade butterscotch pies.
Carrie, Sure wish you coulda come by here.Did ya go to Bourbon street and hear some wild blues bands? Arkansas has acouple of airports.
I used to read the Boston Globe online all the time but have'nt in a long time. Got an E-mail from them today asking me where i'd been. Actually theyed changed their format up and i did'nt like it as well.
Maybe for the winter i should start going to some of my old haunts.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Started a new thread,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140511/
Thought it might be getting a little long.
Vickie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.