Accessible Gardening Thread #12 (Compassion for...)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

As of today they're starting to switch me from wellbutrin to cymbalta. I'm really worried about that moment when the wellbutrin stops working and the cymbalta hasn't started yet. My MD is v-e-r-y__s-l-o-w-l-y over 4 weeks tapering down the one and up the other and as of now I'm taking mostly wellbutrin and a little cymbalta.

Yes, Vickie, you guessed it, music for me is not soothing or relaxing, it is stimulating! I analyze it, I arrange it, I think of other music.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I could'nt take welbutrin,Good luck on the cymbalta. Prayers and hugs.Guess all of us could have had better weeks.
Had Dr appointment today.He can't figure out whats causing my weakness but wants me to have my BP checked in office everytime i'm in town.He wants me to have someone come in everyother day. SSI should pay for it. He does'nt want me to be alone so much.
I need someone to rake a pile of leaves for me to play in. LOL (no leaves yet)
Everyone have a great day.
We're having great fall weather now Highs around 80 and lows around 60 and 50.
I have a huge polk salet plant outside my window here and it is covered in purple berrys.
I get so sad looking around my yard. Everything is so growed up.I went out and weeded a little and really payed for it.Now i sit mostly.
Everyone have a cool sunshiny day.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Vicki - I know just what you mean about getting sad looking at a yard that i long to care for, but just cannot. Any time I spend more than about 5 minuted weeding or anything I have muscles that "talk" to me for a few days. And boy do they grumble!

Hugs all around,
Sheri

PS- did I tell you all about the Mama Flying Squirrel who has nested in a Bluebird nest box attached to my front yard wooden swing? She has 3 babies. She also will accept an almond from me!! Flying Squirrels are on the endangered list, so I feel especially blessed by their presence. Guess my efforts to have my property as an official wildlife habitat have been successful!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, you told us about the flying squirrel -- very exciting! when you were telling the story, I thought it was going to be bluebirds inside. Isn't this an unusual time of year to have babies? I thought they were all born in the spring.

Squirrels have both spring and fall litters. The fall litters get to stay with Mom overwinter as they would not be able to forage for themselves yet and accumulate a winter storehouse.
No doubt everyone is familiar with how plentiful rodent reproduction is!
I don't like to think of them as rodents, but alas, they are!

Sheri

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Aha. I was a spring litter myself and that seems most natural to me. But it seems like the fall babies have a longer, er, period of what they now call "co-sleeping" or something like that

I learn something new every day on here. Thank you.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Sheri, I have a SIL that calls them tree rats (mainly to get a rise out of me lol) I love squirrels and they are MAMMALS.LOL I love to watch them.
Carrie i learn something new everyday here too.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, here's our new thing to learn for today: go to -- dang, I lost it! It's an accessible gardening charity (I know we all probably hate that word, but it is) in England called Thrive, and they have a page called "keep it up" or "Keep it on" or something like that, and I had the page open but then I had a fit of tidiness come over me.

WAIT WAIT HERE IT IS!
http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/gardening-sitting-down-and-from-a-wheelchair.aspx

"carry on gardening"

Midland City, AL

:-)Thanks, Carrie. I don't remember seeing all that the last time I went to their site, but then I was researching something for the VIs. I think I will subscribe to their newsletter so I can keep up.
Kay calls squirrels "tree rats" but that is a habit she developed when she was young and couldn't say the word "squirrel" right. Before speech therapy she had a problem with any word that strung r's, l's or w's together in any combination. She found all kinds of ways around saying such words. (Jim)

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Be vewy. vewy quiet. Sh-h-h. I'm hunting wascawly watty husbands. Kay*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll help!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I'll help too!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Do I sense a common thwead?

Midland City, AL

I happen to know Kay likes big, fat rats so I’m safe even when she finds me.
Photo: Ratty, Kay’s favorite Halloween decoration, among the fall tomatoes.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

Wow, a buck tooth rat with raccoon hands and OOHHH, those evil red eyes! I tell ya, I'd be shakin in my boots if I had any on!!

Scaredy Cat Sheri

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

A rat or mouse with the dexterity of a racoon. Now THAT would be something to fear. I once forgot a loaf of bread in the car when I brought the groceries in. When I went to get the bread the next morning, I discovered a racoon had gotten through a window left partially open, tore into the bread and ate it in the car. What a mess! It looked like he had invited friends and had a wild party.
Rats and mice that could open containers. Maybe, even the fridge! That would be scary.
BTW, how are Rosie and family? Kay*

^_^ Trish & Dave had a 9#10oz baby boy yesterday afternoon at 4pm (texas time)!!!^_^

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

That was a big baby. Thanks Sheri.

mulege, Mexico

I'm finally back on line at my house. That's probably the end of the home improvements we've been doing while the internet was down.

The operations for Tony's father was cancelled as his kidneys were not working at all. If he geta some better they will reschedule but it does not look good.

My ankle is recovering slowly which is better than not at all. I guess.

hugs, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Good luck for Tony's father.

Congrats to Dave and Trish. That's more than twice the weight of my littler baby!

Midland City, AL

That IS a big baby!
Package coming your way, Vickie. I'm going to check into that TOPS weight loss program you mentioned on another thread. I got one of those all-to-familiar lectures from the doctor this morning. He thinks I will be dealing with diabetes in a few years if I don't get things under control soon. Blood pressure was high, as well. Six-month check-up with the VA next week. They won't be nearly as polite and understanding as my civ doc is. They will hammer me hard. I want to get healthy to avoid these kinds of confrontations, if nothing else. lol. I need to find a sensible diet I can stay on long-term. (Jim)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Jim, Somewhere here i have a diabetic diet booklet that i used 30 years ago It was a good common sense book. I lost 40 lbs on it.(over a years time.) As soon as i find it i'll send it on.Saw it the other day. I've just glanced at the book they use today and i was not impressd.
Saw a program on Kudzu last night. The spring leaves are good to eat. The vines makes great baskets, The tubers are a good source of starch, like potatoes. If we used the plants they would'nt go wild as a weed.
I've been completely cleaning house(nothing left unturned) I get so discouraged because i'm so slow. Needed a break and built a fire outside and cooked hamburgers and potatoes in the coals.I did not want to come back in. I saw Orion the constellation come up in the east on his side.Katydids are all gone and it was so quiet and peaceful.
I met a lady the other day and she is into Native Ameican dancing. We talked a long time. The 23rd we are going to a meet north of here.and hopefully i'll be accepted to come back to participate. Am thrilled to death.
Am seeing well but the depression keeps hanging on.
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Our weather here has taken a major turn for cooler. We are all very happy It takes a while to recover from our summer and, like Vickie, I am frustrated that I am still low energy (AKA depressed). Which means I'm happy that it's cooler but unhappy that I don't have more energy.

My ankle is still sore. Sometimes it hurts when I'm just sitting and other times I can walk on it with no pain. I'll be happy when I have better supports. I also have some pain in my left kidney and that also slows me down. I know I will feel better but this has gone on for a long time.

The good news is that I did some work in my outdoor plant room yesterday. Enough of the kitchen is done that I could put most things that have been out in boxes away if I had the brain power to figure out where I want things to go. I slept about twelve hours last night after very little sleep the night before.

All in all, I'm doing OK and hope you are all the same.

hugs, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katie, What kind of pain in your kidney? Truely that is nothing to mess with. I know by experience.
LOL! We belong to the same "Now where am i gonna put this" club. I just throw everything into a nearest drawer than change things later after i find out what i need most etc. Did that make sense?

mulege, Mexico

The pain is a slight nagging one in my left kidney. I'm drinking celery seed tea and it's almost all better.

Tony and I worked for about an hour in the arroyo today. Doing permanent work. We like the word permanent. We got to throw a lot of tires around and play in the dirt (mud) and admire our border of bouganvillas.

There is a baby hummingbird that has been feasting on the pomegranates that are growing by my outdoor bath tub. Today, while I was soaking, it stuck it's head through a hole in a pom which had a v in the bottom of the circular hole. It got stuck. It was so intent on the pom juice that it didn't know what to do what to do when it couldn't get it's head out. I was less than two feet away so I grabbed the pom and pulled it apart. The hummer flew off but was back a minute later. We are getting used to each other. Wish you all could have seen the poor thing flapping its wings and trying to pull its head out. Sure glad I was there as it doesn't seem to be the sharpest hummer. It is cute, though, and tiny. About the size of a cotton ball.

I'm very ahppy to have been able to work outside for over an hour. It's been a while.

We're having our fall/spring weather. Good for working and for sleeping.

hugs, katie

it surely sounds inviting to me , Katie! ^_^

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ouch, Katie! You could also try unsweetened cranberry juice (where you could get that, I don't know...) but kidneys are kind of important! Please take care of yourself - we need you.

I talked to Steph (Scrapps) last night and she sends a big "hello" to all of us. She has no online access now and is facing may challenges. Please lift her up in prayers & thoughts.

Sheri

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Sheri. I just got my Steph-made scarf for another winter. Tell her our thoughts and prayers are with her and we miss her (and you).

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katie, cranberry juice is the best for kidney infections drink lots of any juices and water.OH and don't complain about having to live in the bathroom. LOL Anyway hope you're all over it by now.I know how you feel, I've been working outside some too.
I really miss Steph. I had her phone number but lost it cause i did'nt put it in my address book.
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Hi everyone. Sorry to say there is more sad news here. Tony just came and told me he needs a couple of days off because a brother-in-law died suddenly. Tony is kind of reeling. He doesn't let much show but all the illness and now a sudden death are getting to him. The only thing I could do was offer extra money which he said wasn't needed for now and tell him to take whatever time he needs. Tony has a few health problems himself and this clearly rocked him.

I was thinking about what I might do and realized that when he's able to come back I need to tell him that if anything happens to him I will continue to pay his salary to his family. His oldest son is at the university and planning to become a veterinarrian. His second son just graduated from high school and his daughter is twelve. His wife is a good wife and mother but has problems working outside the home. One of the strengths of my realationship with Tony is that he is a commited to my care and well-being as I am to his. When I go north he takes excellent care of my dogs, as well as the house and garden. I really don't know what I'd do without him, both for the work he does and for the solid friend that he is. In the really bad hurricane last year he left his family and stayed at my house as I was on my way home from Ca and got stranded on the road.

All this by way of saying that I have let myself depend on him more and more as I realized that he wasn't going to disappear on me. I would survive without him but there would be a big hole in my life.

Mexico doesn't have Social Security or any other retirement plan, at least not for people like Tony. I pay him what amounts to most of my Social Security as I also have retirement from the county I worked for.

Because of my own co-dependency issues I have not rushed into making long-term promises to Tony but I think it's time.

Thanks for letting me talk about this. Please send lots of paryers to Tony and his family.

hugs all around, katie

Katie,
I just wrote a lengthy note that suddenly disappeared!!!
Am running late for a Dr appt 45 miles away in 75 minutes!
Please know that you and Tony along with his family are all in my prayers. I will add all of you to my churches prayer list if it is OK with you.

Hugs & prayers,
Sheri

mulege, Mexico

Thank you, Sheri, that is very kind of you. katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Katie, how very generous and thoughtful of you to think of Tony's family that way!
is
Years ago, when the wealthy long-ago distant branches of my family had caretakers for their summer homes, they would maybe invent jobs for widows to do (when the wage-earner died young and the widow was sitting around for 20-30-40 years) or then later pay the widow a pension to supplement Social Security.

I think it's entirely reasonable, what you are suggesting; you and Tony are not co-dependent but you are certainly INTERDEPENDENT! He and his family would suffer financially were you to die, and you would suffer logistically were he to die. (Obviously you each would suffer tremendously emotionally were the other to die!)

The question to me, Katie, is can you afford it? Suppose you do this for Tony's family upon Tony's untimely incapacitation -- can you still afford to hire Tony II? You will still need help. If you can still care for yourself--even if that means hiring someone to take care of you--then I'm all for it! Do you know a Mexican estate lawyer? Because unfortunately this kind of nonsense has to be legal. A trust? That he is the beneficiary of that kicks in when he is disabled or dies or turns 65 or 80 or however old you think he will be too old to work? Think long and hard before you act, my dear. Then act. love Carrie

mulege, Mexico

Hi Everyone, My neighbor Dana and her husband Tom got back late Sat. Dana had found me a really good ankle brace. I think it's the blow-up kind but the inflatable part doesn't work. Will be getting a working inflatable one in the mail soon but meanwhile this is a huge improvement over and Ace bandage wrap. My ankle is a lot improved mostly due to my staying off it but I hate that I can feel my muscles atrphying while I read or watch a dvd. However, when every step on the right foot causes a pain I am reminded that I must let it heal. Yes, let the heel heal.

Tony is back today and I will talk to him about money. Mostly, I don't want him to hurt himself by feeling he has to get here to work. When he first started working for me - now about 14 years ago - the first rule I gave him was "don't hrt yourself." He had done damage to his back breaking up a rock wall with a short-handled sledge h ammer. He is now very good - and very funny - about coming in to ask me for hellp when he needs someone who's "very strong." There are other Americans here this time of year who want his help and one Christmas present to him in a year when I was short of money was to let him take unlimited time off to do other work while still getting paid his usual salary. He has always been good about not taking advantage. I sent him home when he came to work with smallpox and chewed him out for not taking care of himself.

Anyway, we will have a talk which i hope will reassure him in the wake of all this stress. We need to see a lawyer, anyway. I'v'e just been putting it off.

Our weather is beautiful. We have the bluest skies and the Sea of Cortez under them. As my mother once said, looking around happily, "This blue weather is so beautiful." Couldn't have said it better myself.

hugs, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

He came to work with SMALLPOX? Jeez, Katie! That's loyalty! And does that mean he won't get polio (and that he never had a polio shot)?

mulege, Mexico

Yes, with smallpox. He has previously worked for people who would dock his pay if he couldn't come to work. I changed that. Sent him home and told him NEVER to do that again. If he or a family member is sick he gets time off - paid. No questions asked. If he doesn't show up for work I know there is a good reason.

Today Tony did a back log of dishes for me. I think I should recommend him for sainthood. We are graduallly getting the kitchen together.

The brace that neighbor Dana brought me is helping. Still waiting for the one that's coming in the mail.

Feeling pretty good considering I didn't sleep much last night. But now I'm getting sleepy so I think I will lie down.

hugs, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Tony sounds so much like my Espanic native American XSIL.Which reminds me i need to call him. I have'nt talked to him in a long time.
My prayers and thoughts go out to Tony and his family as well as you. Is the Economy hitting hard in Mexico as it is here?
I'm downsizing my phone goodies and Satellite tv programming.I don't use my phone much and don't watch that much tv.
Glad you're ankle is improved.
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

We made it trough another week. My ankle is much better but I am still being super careful of it as it is still tender and very vulnerable to another injusry.

Tony is hanging in. We aren't trying to do any heavy work and mostly I let him do what he thinks needs to be done. This time of year a lot of that is raking leaves. When we have more energy we will hook up the trailer and get loads of dead palm logs to beuild up the soil around the arroyo. I'm trying to figure out the best way to plant dragonfruit as my plants are growing wildly. We need something where the bottoms of the plants get shaded and the tops are in the sun. I've been gradually getting adenium seeds started; I bought a lot of them on eBay and they don't stay viable for long.

It's hard to know about the economy here. Most of the places where I shop are hanging in but that has always been the case. The last hurrican hit very hard and many Americans simply abandoned their damaged homes as it would be hard to salvage anything and it was the fourth time in five years that we were hit. Most people won their homes so the bite comes with large electric bills during the hot summer and high gas prices. There's not a lot of general store type shopping. We have lots of small groceries and a couple of store that sell kitchen stuff and that kind of thing and a hardware store. People are used to making do. I've had to educate Tony to the value of his time by buying adequatye tools and supplies so he doesn't spend hours to save a few dollars.

We are in pretty good shape as far as my house goes because I have stocked up on wupplies when they were available or when I was in theUS so our ongoing expenses are low. Tony's second son just graduated from high school and may join his older brother at the university in La Paz. This, plus medical expenses for his parents and the fact that his wife is not a good worker in terms of being employable, keeps Tony pretty strapped. A friend of his talked him into loaning him $200 for an "emergency" and has not paid him back so I "loaned" it to him. He knows that I will provide extra help if he needs it and he rarely asks for it but I'm sure it's a feeling of security to know the help is there if he needs it.

It's a beautiful day here and I'm going to do as little as possible.

hugs, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hasn't been a beautiful day here in forever ... maybe just a few days because we had really nice weather last week but that was after a MONTH of cold weather so I couldn't warm up in time to enjoy it, you know what I mean?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.