Daily butterflies page 78

Kissimmee, FL

I hope this works here goes! GF sun bathing...

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

I am pretty sure this guy is a barred sulphur.Took me 20 min to get a good shot.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Viceroy for a new thread. Please send those GFs my way. So far I saw only a couple, and still no eggs yet. :-)

At the meantime I've many of these Silver Spotted Skippers.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Kissimmee, FL

I will give them the message Lily! what are you using for your skippers to Host on?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ooooh I don't know. Please help look 'em up. I don't know what their hostplants are.

Kissimmee, FL

I use Butterfly pea which is a beautiful vine. I think they also use wisteria and a few others.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the new thread!! Great pics too!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ah, I do have those mentioned hostplants. As far as wisterias, I'm battling those that were planted in ground. I've some beautiful specimens wisteria in container that I try to preserve.

Here is SSS on Joe Pye Weeds;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Viceroy, please tell more about Butterfly Pea? Some ornamental legume? Baptisias?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Painted Lady

This message was edited Jul 23, 2010 1:19 PM

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

head on

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Bee

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Skipper in sunflower.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice ones jmorth, I especially like the "head on" and skipper on Sunflower shots!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Jack, that's a cute skipper photo. I think you have a painted lady there (instead of a red admiral) though. They are just now showing up in my garden too.

Here are a few from a monitoring route I did last week.

I was so happy to see this female eastern tiger swallowtail laying eggs. Always makes me happy to see that. I don't know how many of the cats survive though when the host plant is in the middle of a bunch of grassland that hosts birds.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2010 9:52 AM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Next up is a meadow fritillary.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Eastern Tailed Blue. These guys are so tiny and I was so hot and tired by the time I saw this, I was amazed I could hold the camera steady. I HAD to get a photo for ID purposes because I can't see these close enough, especially when I forget my binoculars!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Same butterfly. I think it's a girl because of the gray-blue color.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Had to do some lighting adjustments on this one. American Copper

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Here's another. I was laying in the gravel road for these shots. I was sure it was a copper but couldn't tell which.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And finally, a common wood nymph. again, big lighting adjustments here to see detail. It's interesting how different they are up north than down south.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Hey, I just noticed something in that ETS photo. Clearly there had been lots of caterpillar activity on this plant as you can see all the leaves eaten. But look at this shadow. I'm not sure if it was a Cat or not because I didn't know those to have antennae. Pretty funny though.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Marna, beautiful series and you really worked to get those pretties to share with others. Thank you. I was admiring my one and only Cosmos bloom for the season. The Sulphur stopped by for the photo op. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Oh that's a wonderful picture. Still jealous of your setting. But not your humidity. lol.

I forgot this common buckeye. I see these in all areas of the route, particularly sunning on the gravel road.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Neat! Your mysterious shadowy visitor with a pair of antennea. :-)

This 'lil one is about the size of a hairstreak. Could you help I.D.?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Definitely a Satyr. Maybe Carolina Satyr?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Marna, I'll see if I can catch some more pics. this evening to share.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I believe you pegged the Painted Lady (not Red Admiral) correct, Mrs Ed.
Good capture on the American Copper, that's one I've yet to see.

Thanks J. I had an American Copper sighting a couple of years ago. I was psyched as it was my first ever. Glad to see this one. Everything seems smaller to me now! LOL. I keep thinking that the buckeyes should be bigger! Maybe it's just those big spots!!!!

Well, I'm not sure HOW i missed these two monarchs on the swamp milkweed, but they are now caged with their siblings. Went searching for more and found a tiny one on the common milkweed.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was just thinking as I looked at the first copper shot....there is no way I could get down that low and focus a camera! Then I read you were lying on the ground, LOL!
Good shots everyone!

Yea! for the Monarch cats!

I have one update shot of the Silver-Spotted Skipper that I brought in as a cat off of my False Indigo. It made it's pupa about a week ago. Looks like a bat's face! LOL!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

oh it DOES look like a bat face! I'll have to look for some SS cats.

It was not hard to be on the ground since I was about to pass out from the heat! LOL. Needless to say, this was the end of the route.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Viceroy......I forgot to say thanks for starting a new thread. The other one was getting slow even for DSL!

Great pics Mrs. Ed! Lots of new to me ones!

I went out to get my little one some fresh fennel and oh my goodness I found 3 more 5th instar BST!!! I have looked that plant over everyday...do wonder how we miss seeing them until they are so big! Anyway...brought them in and they are in a big container now. Will have to go get another one I think. This bring me to 4 in chrysalis and 7 cats.

My smallest from my first eggs that hatched just was not growing so I put it outside. Maybe it will fair better out or maybe there was just something wrong with it.

Was getting lots of this one...in an small field. I haven't compared it yet for an ID. I was looking for milkweed to check for monarchs but no luck on that one.

Think this is a TST - Dark Form

This message was edited Jul 20, 2010 9:27 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Kissimmee, FL

Mrs_Ed outstanding pics! I think Nat Geo is looking for camera operators who are not scared to get down and dirty!

Even though I forgot to post the link you are all still here thanks to Mrs_Ed! (me computer literate I dont think so.)

Lily this is a pic of the Butterfly pea it is in the family of legumes (Clitoria Ternatea) here in Florida mine has gotten to 12-15 feet and it hosts several different skippers. It seeds a little but only enough to have a few xtras. It is really pretty in full bloom, and starts real easy from seed.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

Here is the Arbor I grow mine on.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

look what I found.

Thumbnail by Viceroy

OH man!!! you are so lucky!

Oh my goodness!!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What a cutie pie!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

As pretty as the pea vine is I would have it all over that fence! Nice.

What is the cute little cat? Or if you don't know, what is the plant?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.