Daily butterflies page 78

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

agree on the pea vine!!

I think it looks like a spicebush cat??? Dunno. love the big eye spots.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think you are point on Mrs_Ed. This site has both adult and cat. http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/images?l=1379

Also further down on that page is the first instar and the final instar pictures...all different.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2010 7:22 AM

I think they might be my favorite cat. They are so cool looking.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Can I join this thread? Here's a red-spotted purple from 2 days ago in the poconos.

Thumbnail by pgt
Kissimmee, FL

You guys are all over it! Spicebush it is. I have had a good run on them this year that is about the15th one I have had this year.I just gave away a few to the local nursing home for their garden.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Another of the same guy with its wings closed.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

One more shot of the red spotted purple

Thumbnail by pgt

welcome pgt. That is one intensely colored RSP! love it.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's some sort of fritillary, but not sure which one.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Mr Ed. The RSP also landed on my toes, and have some pictures of it, but my toes were too gross to post the picture!

LOL. darn that RSP for not covering your toes. Very cool!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

And here's a swallowtail drinking from my petunias.

Thumbnail by pgt

Ha. the headless butterfly.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

And checking out our humming bird feeder

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

And here's one of the RSP on my son's finger (I'll spare you the one of it on my toes)

Thumbnail by pgt
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome pgt....nice shots of the RSP and Tiger ST. Not sure witch the Frit is.
Well put off doing the yard edging as long as I can....later all.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Frit looks like a Great Spangled...

hard to say on that frit for me without seeing the underwings.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I went out to check the frits in PA and found they have bunches!!
Check here and see http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map?ds=39&_dcs=1
Look under the descriptions of each.
I am agreeing that it could be the Spangled because of the black on the veins.

hmm. well it looked more like an Aphrodite to me.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice ones pgt!! I had a TST checking out my hummingbird feeder yesterday!

TST...Dark Form??????

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I vote for GSF.....

oh...like that headless BF shot!

That's what I'd guess nanny (ETS)

Meadow Fritillary in the garden this afternoon. Pretty quiet otherwise. I miss those Red Admirals!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It may well be the Aphrodite Ms. Ed; too many that I have not seen in person.
Where is Dale?? LOL!

I just always thought that the Gr. Spangled were thicker black marks. But again, the telltale sign is the under wings with the light band between spots.

Yah. Dale… Yoo Hoo!

I have gone back and looked several times....You could be right Mrs. Ed!

I thought this was a cool shot of a Dark EST....(I happen to see 3 total yesterday!)

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Nanny...that is a great shot! With the body hidden it looks like a little bitty head and huge body.

Looks like it's sneaking up on that clover flower and going to "get it"

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Well everyone I wanted to share with you the second Black Swallowtail who eclosed this morning. The first one did 2 days ago but I wasn't able to take pictures. As I was walking out it was taking off. This one I got up at 7 am and got to spend some time with. Excuse the quality of the pictures. They were taken with my camera phone. I think my mom to my camera to her job to show her coworkers the Monarch pictures from Sunday.

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

An a top shot

Thumbnail by Roly0217

Congrats!!

The Buckeyes have finally showed up in the last week!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Lots & lots of Siver Spotted Skippers!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Congrats Roly and Nanny. I haven't seen a SS skipper in the yard in almost two years! Last year was terrible for all butterflies. And this year my main clump of lavender phlox is struggling. But I have a few other things they like.

Well sad news. I've lost three of my 4 larger monarch cats. Looks like the 4th is not far behind. I have one other tiny one left, and I saw one on the swamp milkweed yesterday. Boo.

OH that is just awful Mrs. Ed. Do you know what happened? I know how much you care for these guys.

I saw another big BST out on the fennel yesterday but I decided to leave it out. I have all I can handle here for now.

I found this cute lttle skipper on some clover. I have not been able to ID it yet....any ideas? My first thought was Fiery Skipper....but doesn't seem to match the photos I found.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

You know, this is the third year of trying and my skin is toughening up. The two smaller ones just started doing that wriggling around thing. The larger two went to make chrysalises and one fell and wriggled. I checked the other one and it is just hanging there, not even in a J. So I've lost it too. Anyway, I'll disinfect and keep trying!

Maybe Peck's Skipper?
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/images?l=2088

and

http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/632/

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010 7:46 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

So sorry to hear the bad news on the Monarch's Chrysalids, Marna. I feel as if I just saw a miracle of tranformation! My first BST cat. just pupated this morning. It's a complete green chrysalid. Should I have success with this one. I'll try my hand at others since there are too many predators lurking outdoor. Thanks all for sharing your joy as well as sadness on our quest to preserve these beauties.

hey good luck lily. I never had a problem with the BSTs. Too bad I'm not seeing much of them now.

My dill crop is not so good this year, but the bronze fennel is looking good. I had to cut the parsley back from last year because it was so tall. It's doing well but still seems to be mostly flowers. I also have the Rue. Don't know if I'll get any takers or not.

Red Oak, TX

I wouldn't hazard a guess on the fritillary without at least seeing the underside. Those Speyeria are just too complex. Photos also don't always give a good reference to size, etc. It could be a male Great Spangled, an Atlantis or an Aphrodite. Beats me. Sometimes even with a specimen in hand it's difficult to make a positive id.

Nanny: I agree -- Peck's Skipper (Polites peckius).

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

That just might be it Mrs Ed...THANKS!

Thanks Dale!

Congrats ...Lily!! It is really cool to watch the process, isn't it!! I have had chrysalis that I have over wintered...but never had a BST eclose for me. So I am hoping to see this for the first time with a BST too! My first chrysalis is at day 9-10 right today.

A Pearl Cresent...???

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010 10:24 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

And a sulphur.....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.