What's happening in your neck of the woods friends , July/10

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

A little rain in NB last night and unsettled weather today - a few showers and chance of thundershowers. Supposed to be nice weather this weekend. Lots of weddings in the area so I hope it will be nice for them.
I have a Rose of Sharon but not having a lot of luck with it. Maybe it just doesn't like where it is. Every year there is more dead and less re-growth. I wrap it in the winter but is really slow coming back. Beautiful blooms though. Wish I could get it to grow.
Been eating peas, beans, potatoes, carrots and will have cucumbers soon. I was late planting everything but really glad I did.
No plans yet for the weekend. I didn't realize till today that some provinces don't have this as a holiday. Glad I do.
Good luck to you Jen, hang in there - it is well worth the wait!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh boy Jen I feel for you. This heat and the baby coming , yikes. When he/she gets older it will be fun to have a party in the summer!

I can't believe how many things Lorna has done, wow!

Growum it's this time of year I wish I had room for more veggies, my tomatoes are just starting to be ripe and then it will be gang busters till the fall. I miss the other ones, thank goodness for farmers markets.
This weekend is a 35 yr high school reunion and I'm thinking I look the same so everyone else should too, right? It's very casual and not overly organized which will be nice so no formal thing , just a bunch of about 100 give or take some who are meeting at a pub . We did warn the owners and have been giving him updates on our numbers. Folks are bringing yearbooks and brag books so that we can visit like crazy and reconnect if we like. Should be fun and I'm looking forward to Sunday night.
Bye for now
Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I thought the 1st weekend of August was a Civic Holiday (meaning National) ......... it's Heritage Day on the 1st Monday of August here in Alberta.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good for you, Anne! I'm sure it will be fun at the Reunion! A nice small bunch, rather than the 300+ at mine 25 years ago...... (should have gone to one in May, but my (.... grrrr) brother didn't tell me they called him, so I didn't find out about it until 3 weeks before, so didn't have the chance....... it left me no time to get everything in order.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning everyone...sounds as though you've all got great plans for this coming long weekend, travels on the highway will be deadly so please be extra cautious..already we've had a death!

Reunions sound like a lot of fun, have never made it to one...Ann sure hope you rekindle a lot of friendships, have you remained in contact with some of them..what a hoot you will have.

"M" are you meaning Woodbine racetrack here in Toronto, imagine so because Lorna is from this neck of the woods right...not good about your weather...they are calling for high temp digits in the 20's and no rain, but as you say, that can change..

Paul just called and told us to leave at 1:00pm so I'm going back to the garden center and picking up another rose of sharon..are you like me, the plants/shrubs have to be somewhat balanced...set the 2 I bought at lunch yesterday in the area of the new garden I want to make, lots of plants just sitting for planting that I've purchased over the past weeks and I saw that I really should have had another...want to get to the garden center and on the highway asap, will be wicked today..already this morning you could see the masses head north.

Mom just called, they are leaving for the cottage, asked what I was up to this weekend, said Kempenfest by the Bay tomorrow morning, told me NOT to spend all my $$$ as I'm planning to be unemployed in a few weeks, told her I'd worry about that then..lol moms...you are never too old to get told what to do by a mom right?

Although I'm on my own, sure wish I had a veggie garden to go and pick peas/beans/cuc's and tomatoes..perhaps next year I'll find a little corner in my world and plant some...

Had fresh corn as part of my veggies last night when I went out for din/din...lordy it was good...might have to stop at a garden center myself and pick up goodies for the weekend...nothing like fresh veggies..

Nothing like enjoying friendships...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

The names we have picked is Allison May (well call her Ally) and for a boy Derek Roland Jr (after my hubby, all his friends do it so he has to too)

Thats what they say first are always late, I was just hoping mine wasn't lol

Our pool and they A/C are really helping these days, oh and drinking ice water too.. Yes we were very happy to find out we were having a summer baby.. Every birthday if people want to come see the little one they can all be outside..

We also get the holiday, hubby was done today at noon and hes now off till tuesday.. Brother in law is coming for the weekend also, so it should be a good weekend... would be even better if i went into labor lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Both are lovely names Jen. Wouldn't it be a great time to have the little one with hubby home for a few days...do they in your region keep you in the hospital for any time? know here if you have it before noon, you go home the next morning providing all is well..hoping you don't have a long labor...regardless, as soon as you see your baby all the pain will be forgotten..

Well, had mine New Years Day, poor Greg, really never had a birthday/birthday, although everyone was off on his birthday...who wants to throw a children's party on New Years Day??? now he doesn't mind as all his friends celebrate with him..

Well it's time to start my long weekend...

Gab to you when I get home..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Went out to the big summer dog show- at Spruce Meadows this year, lovely site - and visited with a few friends not seen for some time and also- the real reason to go out - to get a new collar and leash for Abby. Cant find the style I want in town and I knew one of the retailers at the show would have them. This is called Crazy Dazy!

This message was edited Jul 30, 2010 5:18 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Pretty , now you are all set for walking the dogs!

Not sure about your neck of the woods, but lordy can almost wear a snowmobile suit this morning..shut the a/c off last night as it wasn't humid at all, plus, after getting notice that hydro bill would go up 16% due to hydro cost and HST tax I thought I'd better...opened every window and the temp dropped by about 10 degrees...

Up early, ready to go to Kempenfest by the Bay festival for the morning and not sure what too wear..say temps will be 25 today but it will take a bit to reach it..

There is about a 5' x 5' area on the side of the back bedroom deck platform I just had done so last night worked on garden art and digging it up..planted a rose of sharon behind a metal art piece, put the new birdfeeder in front, once I plant and it matures it should be lovely..now along the decking I'm digging out more garden, just what I need...bought more wreigelia's and have another rose of sharon to add...going on the lookout for discount shrubs to complete it...

With the rest of my weekend I'll just puddle around..might even get enough energy to paint all the birdhouses for that condo unit I was making..besides that, it's playtime this weekend..

How about you all, anything special to keep you busy? know Jen will have her baby, that's more exciting than what I'll be doing (except for the labor part) lol..

Gab later

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

GADS !!!!!!!!! Between inept weather reports, and central air that went BYE BYE yesterday at 4pm, this is turning into an uncomfortable LONG weekend (if you can figure out exactly WHO is off)
I called for service to be done on the AC .. got a time for WEDNESDAY !!! Temp at present is 32C .. and temps, which were reportedly going to be 22 to 25C .. are now going to be hitting 35C or more !!!

Got lotsa yellow beans picked, washed, blanched (gotta LOVE the microwave and Corning Ware) and now frozen, tomorrow will be the green beans and the remaining peas ..
Soaker hoses run 2 to 3 hours on the tomato plants and carrots .. it is SO dry !!!

Puppy 'Piper' is hating the heat .. have had him in the 'kiddie pool' .. not saying he likes that much either LoL

I guess I should try and figure out something for supper .. have a movie to watch as well . 'It's Complicated' with Meryl Streep.

Take care all

~M~

Movie reviews LoL
'It's Complicated' .. totally a 'chic flick' .. very funny and entertaining ..
'The Other Man' (Liam Neeson/Antonio Banderas) .. weird but OK .. kind of a surprise ending.
Had to watch movies as the heat and humidity were literally making us ill !! AND .. still NO A/C repair until Wednesday, supposed to be 37 or 38C here the next 2 days, yesterday it hit 36C. Thank heaven I did NOT turf out our oscillating fans when we had the central air installed.
Have just emailed Sears to complain .. I doubt it'll go anywhere .. trying to call these people is BEYOND ludicrous !!!!

On the brighter side .. Lorna wore her prosthesis up into the garden , with the help of her rolling walker, and, while I watered the pots and flower gardens and babysat Piper .. she picked peas and beans .. I was able to 'put down' quite a few bags. Gotta LOVE using the microwave for that .. NOWAY am I turning the stove on !!

OH .. we got about 15 minutes of rain last evening .. even though it was predicted to stay for hours LoL

HAPPY HOLIDAY DAY ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks "M" enjoying the day off, here they call it Simcoe Day-Civic holiday..not staturary holiday, regardless I'm off and enjoying doing nothing, well perhaps not quite nothing..lol

Haven't even taken time for lunch and it's almost din/din..no wonder my tummy is hungry!

Went to Kempenfest by the Bay Saturday and they were expecting 250,000 over Sat./Sun. - I think they were all there Saturday morning with me..so it was a quick walk, no, stop and go trying to get through the masses..can anyone tell me why people have to bring their dogs which are larger than humans in size..must not be fun for those poor furries in the heat of the day...

Managed to get 2 treasures...a metal art piece which will eventually rust, my kind of garden art..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Now that a lower deck has been added off the back bedroom deck I had a little corner to plant..managed to purchase this pretty butterfly..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Yesterday I managed to dig up a garden for shrubs all along the deck, hoping that in a few years the underneath of the deck will be enclosed by shrubs...need a few more...wow, sure was hard in high temps..

Managed to set in 6 shrubs, this week I'll look for 3 or 4 more..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Jeff and Julie got back safely after 17 days of kayaking..just dating, guess they'll still be dating as both came back and said it was a terrific trip and would do it all over again..

Talk about tanned.. said no rain during the day and only rain a few times during the night...

Now I can stop worrying about them..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

So today, Noah brings me Ned, young pup that just got fixed..because stitched are desolving stitches he couldn't go along with them on 1 week camping in Tobermory...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Hate to leave Ned with the collar but he's been licking his wounds and they have opened a bit..look so uncomfortable..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Now didn't I say no more worries, Jeff/Julie is back home safe and sound? well Greg and Mel and the boys are off scuba diving/camping in Tobermory..going to check sunken ships out...so worry again until this group comes back..

Other 2 grandchildren were doing kayak/canoe trailing in Algonquin Park for just over 1 month..food dropped in by helicopters..come days more than 3 portages - 2 or 3 miles from each other...nice to be young..glad they are home safely as well...

So, with rumbling and the odd rain drop today I decided to play inside..have some Christmas Quilt blocks to do for September so why not get ahead of the game..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" when Roger was alive I'd help him do down all the veggies/fruits - make jams/pickles etc...but since his passing I just look at all his family recipe's and decide to do nothing..only thing I miss is my grandmothers 'mustard beans' she'd do down, should go buy a few baskets and do a batch, kids loved them as well..do you make them?

Lorna is doing so well..what a help she is to you!

Think it's a little hotter in your neck of the woods than in mine..I've not used a/c since Friday..nice breeze out there right now...

Did your hydro go up by 16%..8 for hydro and 8 for HST..wow, that's a big increase isn't it?

Rather than having 3 t.v.'s going all day long, I'd better start turning a few off as well as lights that I don't need...had a surplus but won't take long at this rate to use it up...

Waving to all who are absent..time of year that everyone is either on holidays or spending time in gardens or with family...

Sure hope you've enjoyed your day...

Jen, hoping you can post and tell us how the birthing went...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Love the metal finds Betty especially the one with the dragonfly!

Pretty quiet weekend here. I guess lots of the neighbors are away and going out with the dogs early both mornings it was so quiet I thought something was wrong. The sound of the reduced traffic over on Crowchild Trial sounded like a rushing river! Very enjoyable ,

I went out Sat morn. to look for a pair of shorts - wanted a decent pair for next weekend, Plus size store had nothing so I went over to Zellers, emerged with 2 pair shorts $10 each( pull on the kind I like!) and 2 sleeveless and one short sleeve seersucker blouses $15 each. Not too bad! I like the cotton blouses better than the polo shirts I usually wear if the weather is hot. And I will be outside most of the weekend coming at the big agility show, So that is the bottom layer!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sounds as though you got a great deal..most stores are now into the summer end sales..good time to purchase. I've never found a whole lot at Zellers, I was a K-mart shopper...whenever I'm in Buffalo it's one of the first stores I visit not so much to buy but just to look around...my big find is Khols...sure wish they were in Canada..

It's been quiet here as well, think everyone left town. The news were saying that over 1 million people estimated heading north so maybe everyone decided to stay put until they return home today.

Mom was at the cottage, she played it smart and went home yesterday so they wouldn't have to contend with the traffic.

Was thinking of the next long weekend (if I'm still working) otherwise it won't make a difference if it's a long weekend or not right??? anyway, it's September, yikes that's heading into fall. time is passing much to quickly, we no sooner start one year that another arrives. That's the way it is when you get older, when you are young you just can't wait for sweet 16, 21...ahhh to relive those days.

Carol, wasn't a long weekend for you was it? Such a mix up holiday.

WOW .. Betty .. your 'metal finds' are wonderful !!! They looks great as do the shrubs .. give ya credit for planting in heat and humidity .. kind of a no no for me !!
Gotta love adventurous families .. NOT .. glad Jeff is back, and hope that Greg and family have a great time.

I spent most of the day being a S LU G !! It is SO warm here .. and.. with no air conditioning, I have to watch the pup ..sure do hope Sears will be true to their word and we will be a priority .. will NOT hold my breath though ..

Betty .. my Mom used to make Mustard Beans, I MUST look up the recipe as we have LOTS of beans !! Green and yellow.
The garden tomatoes are absolutely wonderful . love this time of year :-)

I have to get to Zellers .. there are mens shorts they sell for about $8./pr .. love them .. pull ons with POCKETS !!! Hope I haven't waited too long !!!

Best take the dogs out for one final 'whizz bang' .. ^_^

~M~

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Well ladies sorry i haven't been around this weekend, i was in LABOR!!!! July 31 at 6am my water broke and off to the hospital we went.. After hours and hours we decided at 4am aug 1 that we needed to just have a c-section.. 5:46 my 7 pounds 13 ounce, 20 inches long baby girl Allison May was born.. I'm still in the hospital and wont be home till morning but had a chance to update you all...

Thumbnail by smurf428
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

awwwwwwwwwww she's adorable!! Hello little Allison May!! ^_^ (May is my Mom's name!)
Glad you were able to pop in and give us the Wonderful News!!!
Looking forward to even more pics, you "proud parent", you!!!

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Hello Ally. You are beautiful! Welcome to your new world.

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG Jen, Allison May is absolutely beautiful..

Ahhh had hoped it would be a short labor..but, wasn't it all worth it? you bet it was...

How exciting for you to come home today, the start of family life with Allison May..bet hubby is thrilled...

What a way to start a morning...C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !

Look forward to seeing photo's....now you can breathe..

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Congratulations Jen (and family). Allison May is absolutely adorable. Wishing you an uneventful recovery from the C-section and enjoy life with the little one.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2010 7:26 AM

Wonderful news Jen, congrats !!!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

wow, talk about a hot one today..say we broke records for July and now saying much the same for August...even the a/c doesn't seem to be cooling things down this morning...

Good day to relax inside, be careful, not heatstroke please..

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Jen
She is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations.
Ann

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

thanks ladies, we are home now, taking it easy.. Let me tell you its nice to not have a nurse coming in ever hour or so to see if your doing ok or check something

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Panicking here for awhile here yesterday. I have always just had this site in favourites to click on and it went to my home page. Well yesterday I must have hit logout and then couldn't get back in. My husband had set everything up and I thought I knew what the password was but no nothing worked. Sent an email to the good folks here and they got me going again. Don't know how much you miss something till it is not there anymore. They were very quick at getting back to me too. I will know for next time.
Rain rain rain and thundershowers here for the next couple of days. Really need the rain though - we have had a ban on campfires for the last week. Hoping to get t he rain out of the way now - my sister is coming to visit on the 23rd so hoping for good weather then. There is lots I want to do with her.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Glad you're back!!!!
Enjoy your time with your sister ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

System went off line for awhile this morning and like you, I tried to access it every 5 minutes..was already having withdrawal..

Extremely hot here today, with humidex it's 40..at lunch the sky got dark, wind came up, started to rain..all for about 2 seconds now it's clear, can't even see wet ground, perhaps it was dry rain...lol had thought it would save me watering tonight but am sure I'll have to especially as we are on even days for watering

I was so set on taking this weekend to re-energize..mom called, they put the last of the new windows in at the cottage this week, step father Jim wants to do some drywall and trim work and he thinks it would be a good weekend to take mom away..but I'm tired but guess I could muster up a tad more energy and take her..will call her tonight and see if she's gung ho to go and decide from there...

Just got a text from the kids, they were going to come home tomorrow from Tobermory but they've decided to stay till Friday so with my looking after Ned for them not sure what I could do..kind of last minute...I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Jen, glad you are home, don't overdo..love it when I spent months/months in the hospital, nurses would wake you up to see if you needed something to sleep..helloooo, shaking my head at that...

Just don't overdo Jen...so far, is she sleeping / eating well?

Hi all ^_^

I, too, had a small wobble in my system re Dave's site .. but it rectified itself .. like Growum, I keep logged in .. when the 'glitch occured I thought 'OH OH .. what IS my password' ? LoL

Talk about crazy weather here in Thunder Bay .. we had a week or mor of temps in the high 30s .. and then .. POW !! 7-10C overnight, and highs of 23C during the day .. it was WONDERFUL !!! Got to hang out laundry and do some much needed dead heading .. looks like we're headed back to hot/humid days this coming week .. but .. HEY .. it's already AUGUST !!!

Piper continues to grow and learn .. why oh why is it easier to learn 'naughty things to do', as opposed to NON naughty LoL .. my Petunias have undergone a very severe 'puppy culling' over the last week ..

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend ^_^

~M~

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Cooler in NB today too. Only 8 this morning and high of 20. Lots of rain last night so as soon as it dries up a bit I will head out to the gardens to see what I can do. Really need to mow the lawn, we had rain most of the week do that didn't get done. Also want to paint a bedroom before my sister comes, freeze some peas and beans, get my printer hooked up, I have a carpenter coming to look at a deck I want built, need to get some groceries and something for my daughter (her birthday is Aug 20) so need to get a parcel away to her, and the usual laundry and vacuuming etc. Weekends are just way too short!
Have a good day.....Laurie

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, it's recharge your battery weekend for Betty..almost thought I'd stay in my jammies all day but no, need to at least water my gardens..they called for rain for 3 days and it passed us by, flowers are asking for a drink so I'd better get dressed..

Can you imagine, after all that heat, that just to lay on the chesterfield last night to watch t.v. I had to get a blanket and close all the windows..yikes it was cold..

Kept putting off purchasing a dehumidifier but yesterday I picked one up..this morning coming downstairs I though it didn't work, no sounds coming from it..checked it out and from 7:30 last night to morning time it was full..goes to show you how damp it was in this house..

My Riley has been missing now 7 days..hate to think what has happened..did have "NED" puppy labradoodle and same day "NED" came for his visit Riley went missing, no he didn't eat him ..lol..but it's sad when a pet goes missing..don't know how many times I've looked outside and called for him..

Sailor hasn't been the best either and I keep thinking that the day is coming to make that choice..will be a quiet house for sure..no more pets for me once that happens..

Laurie, you sure do have a full slate planned for this weekend..see you are up early and ready to take on the day..always someone in the group that is go/go/go and encourages us on..good luck with the carpenter..where will you put the deck? love the story about your chicks..

"M" with Ned being here all week I know how exhausting it can be with a puppy..he's about 6 months old, just got fixed a few days before coming to spend 5 days with me..had to have the head cone, felt so sorry for him, each time I'd take the cone off I'd think if I watch him and he doesn't lick his wounds (disolving stitches) then he can have a break from wearing it, within seconds he'd be licking....he sure did miss his family..so excited when they got home..

"M" poor gardens..how they love to dig..you'll have to post a photo of Piper so we can see just how he's grown..

Well, it's breakfast time, like Laurie I'm an early riser..off to have coffee and see what I can do to relax...

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Looks like lots are early risers and here I am still playing on the computer.
Betty the deck will go at the back of the house - I have one there already but is rotten and the dog actually broke through it in one place last week. I was brushing her when it happened so was able to catch her (as well as I could catch 140 lbs) but only one leg went through, scared me though, I was glad I was right there with her. We aren't using that door anymore till it is replaced. Also having a deck built at the front of the house. Don't even have a stair at that door so will be nice to have one. And why would a house have 3 doors? Now I also need a door step at the other door - this is the door I use the most. The carpenter will have his work cut out for him (if he can come up with a half decent price for me). Had a fellow here last week to look at it and he doesn't supply the materials, wanted me to go to the hardware store and tell them he would be coming to buy at this stuff and I would pay for it. Ha! Nice try but I don't think so - he could have been putting all kinds of stuff on my tab.
Off and running now - it is a beautiful day here! The computer is getting turned off!
Have a good weekend everyone.....Laurie

I'll post 2 pics Betty .. one with him SLEEPING and bein a 'good lil boy' .. and one of him stealing a cob of Sweet Corn from Lilly .. they both love to gnaw the corn from the cobs ....

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Last one ...

Actually .. I have a few pics on the pet forum in a thread called 'Introducing >> Piper' ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.