What's happening in your neck of the woods friends , July/10

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh lucky you Ann!

Thanks for the mouse list! I see I have a long way to go!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Doubt most local nurseries would carry these ??? going to have to pay more attention...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Easier to find by mail order. There are several good hosta nurseries in Ontario which Ann recommended to me.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm back in Calgary from my camping-out week in Waterton.
Had a great time, but glad to get back to better washroom facilities LOL
(and my internet buddies, too!!)

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Nice to have you back Susan .. and I SO hear you on the 'facilities' .. when we camped .. we did the REAL camping gig. Tent on an island, sleeping on skinny foam matresses in sleeping bags, cooking over a fire or with a portable propane stove .. wonderful memories .. but THE most outstanding was the LACK of a nice bathroom, running water and PRIVACY (at times) LoL

GLORIOUS weekend here .. again the meteorology dept erred in the Public's favour ..

TTFN

~M~

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Wow I didn't know hosta's came in so many varieties. You guys are very knowlegable. I have a few but the labels are long gone so wouldn't have a clue what they are and all are big. Wonder what other mini plants you can get. I know there are minature roses and there is somewhere that sells minature trees. Would be a cool garden theme.
Ann the greenery around the side of the pot is a sedum? My daughter was trying to show me a plant in her yard on Skype the other night but she was getting to far from her house - looked a lot like that though from what I could see.
Beautiful day yesterday and I spent all day outside. Pouring rain today so it is housework and laundry today. That is OK though - the gardens need the rain and my house needs me to stay inside for a day.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

There's a thread over on Cubits that has pictures of mini hostas (with a few that are just small thrown in as well). http://cubits.org/Hostas/thread/view/19187/ I started posting about 1/3 of the way down the thread and there are also some pics at the bottom.

Growum, I'm just scratching the surface of hostas with about 165 varieties. My friend up the valley (with more space) has around 500 varieties. Check out the Hosta Library web site (Google it). There are pictures of thousands of varieties as well as a lot of other information.

Betty - I think you can find the 'mice' at most good hosta nurseries. I wouldn't buy hostas from any store that doesn't specialize in hostas and/or perennials. There's still too much Hosta Virus X in plants found at Canadian Tire, etc. Those that specialize in hostas are testing for it and buying from suppliers that test for it.

I don't know whether I've ever given you the link to my hosta pics. They start at: http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas-in-my-garden-A-F/7617361_bLwdx I've tracked them over the last 3 years. I have 2010 pics up except for the newest ones but I still have to add some general garden pics from 2010 and fix most of the links that go to the MyHostas database as the site moved last year.

Have a great day. We plan to head up the Valley for Herbfest. We'll be back around 4 as I'm team leader for a concert this evening - a string quartet, I think.

Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

While camping my DH "dragged" me off to a Quilting Shop, and I got great deals!!
one of them was "buy the bolt and get 50% off"!!!
We went horseback riding too ^_^

LOL .. 'DRAGGED' Susan ... love it :-)

Finally got some pics of the 'pretties and the veg garden' .. work,work,work .. but .. so far we have fresh peas and beans and potatoes, cucumber and tomats !!! All because of the electric fence !!!

NO Hosta pics (yet) .. they turned out SO washed out due to the sun ..

First pics .. with my thanks .. the SWEET POTATO VINE .. luv it !!!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Next is the Maroon/burgundy vine with some darker pansies in the mix ...

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Some veg garden pics .. just 2 ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Last one ..

Between puppy chasing, and gardening I am NOT surprised by how quickly this summer is passing !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Had to add this 2 pics with head hung low as the garden these Hens and Chicks are in ALWAYS seems to need weeding, and, this year .. it ain't happening !!!!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Last one then .. GONE ^_^

~M~

OOPS !!!!!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry ladies that I haven't been posting lately, I just got hit with a wave of exhaustion.. I dont really do much but lay around, i just have no energy.. Hubby has been watering the garden for me, I dont even have the strength for that.. I week left till the due date. Hubby thinks i'm going to go over but i hope not lol.. I'll post pictures once the little one comes, well once i get home from the hospital..
jen

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Marilyn what a lot of garden you have! You will be kept busy taking all those veggies in for sure.
My Hen's and Chicks also do the flowering thing and my 76 yr old neighbor gets such a kick out of the shape and always has a giggle about them.

Jen, You are almost there!! hang in and it will all be worth it soon. Have some rest if you can and we will look forward to new photo's of your little one.

Ann, great list of Mouses! I have sent an email to see if I can get two of them from Shades of Green so will let Carol know how that goes. I only have a few hostas but am loving my Mini's!
Here is the small group that was battered by hail a few weeks a go but are coming back well.
Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hello everyone - I finally posted pictures of This year's trip to Waterton. Promised to do it last year, but it didn't get done.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did the visiting of Waterton National Park.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1118602/#new

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Ann - check out the "Quiet Water" thread on the Hosta forum. A friend of mine from near Ottawa posted a lot of pictures taken at Shades of Green last week.

Off to Chamberfest on the 9 am bus. Gotta move. Not working today, but want to attend 3 concerts.

ViAnn

Victoria Harbour, ON

Beautiful gardens girls...talk about 'wow' you've given me so many ideas for planting my new hypertufa pots...hens/chicks did buy some a few years ago but didn't come back..not sure why, believe they are perrenials ??

Jen, I'm sure you are counting the days, glad DH is helping out in the gardens...

What a beautiful weekend that just past..yikes I'm burnt to a crisp..feeling a bit chilled here in the office because of it...

I did not stop all weekend..on Thursday night I got a call from a friend asking if I could give refuge to a friend of hers, an acquaintace who needed a weekend away from home..of course my doors are always open so she arrived at 6pm on thursday night..She called me at work and planned to take me out on Friday night for supper than a show..another friend dropped in and told her about a palm reader so off we went and got our palms read..lol..did I tell you I'm going to met a 5'9" blue/green eyed man who will sweep me off my feet??? She took my ring from left hand and put it on my right hand, said he needs to see I'm not married...ooookkkk...did tell me I have 2 children, 4 grandchildren and will have 5 great grandchildren that I will enjoy spending time with so guess because the grandchildren are young I'll live to a ripe old age...

Saturday, I went early morning to fill in a job application, think I told you I resigned here, want something 2 or 3 days a week, that's a no go here..was back home by noon, spent the afternoon enjoying sightseeing and out for the evening, yesterday morning we were gone by 7:30..did the Collingwood Elvis Festival..got to tell you, 100 Elvis's walking the streets in different costumes is fun..entertainment is Las Vegas venue..even the little ones were spectacular..9:30 to 12:30 was Gospel and buffet with all the different Elvis's performing...then after that, 5 doors down was competition and semi-finals, then 6pm to 10:30 pm were the finals..yikes, there was a big bash from 10:30-1:00..no could do that...so sitting in the sunshine and too stupid to remember sun screen I'm a little burnt, on the good side,by tomorrow I will have turned brown..

Will post a photo after I download..was far too late to do so last night and this morning, well slept in and just made it to work on time...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brought Abby home on Monday, here she is with Bailey ( on the right) this morning.
All going well except Jazz the cat hisses and snarls every time he sees her - he will get used to it, that is SOP for him when there is a new dog in the huse!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Abby looks sweet, Carol!
Is she shy around Jazz?

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG they look identical don't they...Carol, how does Bailey feel about your new addition?

Not sure I updated yesterday, you know I gave in resignation last Thursday but the boss didn't come in until yesterday..well we had a nice gab session, you can do that when the boss is your BIL...anyway, he asked if I'd consider staying with the firm if the phones would be put in my home..well now that gives me food for thought...

Called for rain all day, was pouring for about 5 minutes this morning on my way in then it stopped...guess it's waiting for the long weekend..speaking of long weekend, what do you all have planned..think I'll go over to the weather station and check what they are calling for...

What are you all up to?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

how awesome that you're able to retire and still earn $$! Lucky gal, you!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan Jazz is not a dog friendly cat!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well, not just sure I want all the equipment and responsibility in my house..lordy I just wanted to work 2 or 3 days a week...surely someone must want this old gal for a few days???

Weather warning across my computer screen..storm rolling in..time to go home so hopefully I'll miss it..I take heed now after having a tornado in my town last month...

Keep well, keep safe and above all enjoy yourselves...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ouch........ !!
well, I guess Abby will be avoiding Jazz then.

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Abby is beautiful! and what a good name!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Couldn't resist taking photo of the Elvis walking his border collie, young pup, reminded me of sailor... not sure if I was taking photo of Elvis or the puppy!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

While I was out taking photo's of my Elvis, here's Cathy enjoying a drink with hers..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Photo of Cathy and Danie, 2 girls that went Elvis hunting with me...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Sending you a 'rose'

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

What a gorgeous triple rose, Betty!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Think there are 6 or 7 roses on this one stem..I don't do well with roses but this one seems to like me..

Warnings came over the screen yesterday afternoon re storms, rumbling/grumbling last night but the sunrise is beautiful this morning and no call for rain (although clouds are in the forecast) for this long weekend..

What kind of weather will you have this coming long weekend?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Jen, it's about that time...today would be a good day as you'd still be able to make it home for the long weekend...let's get at it girl! lol hope it's an easy labor..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

West of us we're having terrible thunder storms, and hail, but should be over (?!) by this weekend...... I hope! lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Think the first think we do when a long weekend is coming is check several times a day for weather updates..so far so good here..thank goodness, witht he big Kempenfest on the Bay celebrations - 400 vendors, entertainment etc. nothing would be worse than rain..

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

betty i agree, My brother in law is coming down again this weekend and he said I better pop before he leaves lol... Wednesday the doc and hubby and i are going to talk about when i should get induced, if i dont go before then.. Doctor is thinking the 8th..
I would much rather it just happen but at this point i've had enough I just want the baby here..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Certainly can understand that, wow, nothing like being pregnant and having hot humid weather conditions..you poor thing..August 8th. was my grandfather's birthday...did you say Jen if you picked names for boy/girl???? I always left that until I saw my babies, seemed so natural, they almost seemed like a Greg and a Jeff...

Bought a couple of Rose of Sharon's at the garden center at lunch time, quite a size - 3 to 4' high..thought I'd get some gardening done but not as Darlene just called and said she was having a bunch over for supper and would I join them..will go home first and let Sailor out then head to the lake..

She also told me there is a serious accident Hwy 400/93 which is the route I take to go home so best I find alternate route..

WELlllllllllllllllllllllllllll ... what should I say about the EXPECTED weather in Thunder Bay this long weekend. The meteorologists are calling for rain starting SATURDAY if not Friday evening, and it is to last into MONDAY!! As always, I will believe that when I SEE that !!!
Today has been lovely and I was able to harvest a bit more of the garden .. mostly peas and tomatoes ..

Off to a riding stable down the road this evening to visit a friends horse .. Lorna is quite excited as in past years she has trained horses who have run at Woodbine etc .. multi talented woman this one .. ^_^

Jen .. first babies are usually a week overdue .. wish you all the best .. and a happy healthy baby !!

Watching news re the oil spill in Lake Michigan (Enbridge) so hope it is contained soon !!!

Off I go

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.