Show Us Your Containers.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

No end the flow of neat ideas in this thread. Thanks to all who are posting.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Buttoneer, I like that mixed sedum pot really nice. Those seashells are really cute.
Here are a couple of my Caladium pots. Not the most glamorous location but they are pretty.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ooooooh I am getting so psyched over this thread! Thanks for including it, Holly. Actually, I would prefer to create container gardens. So much easier to take care of than planting them in the ground. Will try to include more as time goes on. Judy

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi Judy--I have several plants of yours enjoying my deck. One was a tiny sprout of Kalanchoe, now grown up with huge leaves and dozens of babies of its own. I like mixed Sedum/ succulent pots too.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

This is my Mandavilla I got at Lowes for half price when it was not blooming, not doing too bad now.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita, the coleus you gave me at the Plant Swap, I love the colors.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Not really a plant, but in a container and happily blooming--little Noah, my GS

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

The spider plants from the swap (thanks Gita)

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Cat what a great container that swing makes. So Cute. :}

Robin-- that second container plant cracked me up!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was planting a few succulents today. I picked up a few new ones and had some others that needed moved. So I put together this mixed succulent pot and tossed some extras into this old feed scoop.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a closer look at the mixed planting.
I am working on a new idea for another very small water display. Hopefully I will get it finished in the next few days.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I just love the feed scoop arrangement, what a great idea.

My only Gargoyle captured in an antiques show, Cherry Hill, New Jersey. This one is all cast iron and mounted on a ton of concrete. It is guarding our front entrance.

Thumbnail by docgipe

My NJ Supply stacked pots from last year. I was to ill to bring this one back this year. Maybe next year. I dearly love the concept. I saw a truck farmer with a couple hundred of these planted in strawberries. It must have looked good on paper because these toys are not inexpensive.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, We drove by a field while we were traveling and I swear that is what I saw. Rows and rows of them with something growing in them. I was thinking at the time how expensive that would be and was that what they really were? Can't remember exactally where they were but we are headed back down that way and I will try to keep an eye out for them and get a pic.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Doc just wanted to show you these. They are just so pretty.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I still have them in the pots you gave me. I was thinking maybe I should move them up to a larger pot but they are doing so nice in these I'm not sure if I want to.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Holly, those are doing so beautifully! Kudos to both you & Doc!

The "rule of thumb" for AVs is that the pot should be no larger than 1/3 the diameter of the plant... Mine are sometimes more like 1/2, but still that means that if your plants are in 4 inch pots, they are fine unless they are lots more than 12 inches across. (To move up to a 6 inch pot, they "should" be 18 inches across... I've only had a couple of plants that grew to such a size.)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Jill, Thought I would show off my Caladiums.
These were the last planted I'm so please at how nice they look considering they were planted so late. I was running out of pots so I just filled what ever I could find. These are sitting in the driveway area not far from my Potting Shed.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The window boxes got planted a bit late this year, too. They are looking really nice. Love these new limegreen and red one.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I stuck a few left over begonias in this pot.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These are much bigger as they were planted earlier this spring. Sitting out by the front entrance.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Other side of the entrance.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Together.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Last the big pots by the front porch.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

And the other side.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--they are all just beautiful! I love Caladiums--but won't spend $8 to buy a 6" pot....
We have a table-full at work...no one is buying any! Too much money!

My faves are the whites and the reds with green around the outside edges....
I do not care much for the pinks....

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita Order bulbs from Bill at Caladiums4less. All my caladiums, tuberose and the big Port Odora EE's came from him. In years past they ran a DG Co-op every year but with the new changes in Co-ops they didn't run one this year. He advertised in the Classifieds with special prices for DG Members. Hopefully next spring he will do that again. Not sure I need more as I'm running out of room to put the pots but I was thinking of a few more of the big EE's and I could use more tuberose. I save the bulbs from year to year and so far they have done well for me.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is the same pot that I started off the thread with. It is looking just beautiful if you look close you can see the blushing susie vine that is growing near this pot. I really like the BSV combined with the coleus.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have two of those pots, this one was planted a little late and isn't as full but the coleus are still pretty.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly,

That table-full of Caladiums at my HD--I mean a whole, 12' long table--both sides filled apparently got canned....
I went out there today--and it was gone.....

I sure would have begged for some of the corms....I picked up one pot last week, and the corms/roots were so massive that it had misshapen the pot....Can you imagine? What a plant that would have grown to be!!!!

Anyway......
Does your BSV make seeds? I wanted one so bad this Spring, but never found one here.
If you have seeds--could you send me some?

Thanks, Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I'm sure it does but I can't seem to find them. I have gotten mine from Roses R Red the last two years. Don't know how I keep missing the seeds.

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

Want to show you my favorite. The bowl and pitcher had been a lamp so drainage holes were already in place. There's a flapjack kalanchoe in the top, and the bowl is filled with different tiny succulents and a few "chicks". Aqua colored stones provide the mulch. I don't water it, just spray it. Don't know how long it will hold up but it sure is pretty now.

Thumbnail by Linny1

I love looking at what everybody's done. Great thread, Holly. Thanks for starting it.

Here is my Ivy in Teapot. Had hubby drill holes and add drawer knobs on the bottom.

Thumbnail by Linny1

Next is Begonia in Spittoon.

No container of any type is safe in my house.

Thumbnail by Linny1
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh how inventive and beautiful. Just love, love that pitcher and bowl set.

really nice ,and healthy plants too-Pretty!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"No container of any type is safe in my house. "

You're in good company in this forum, I think! Thanks for sharing those plantings... love the begonia, and the silvery succulents are just perfect in that pitcher & bowl!

Thanks. Now let me share a story with you. Nearly everything on my porch came from my Mama's house when she died a year ago. I have repainted all her wicker, the swing daddy built, all the outdoor furniture... you get the idea. At every step I would naturally wonder "what mama thinks" ... well, the antique bowl and pitcher as a lamp was one of her favorites. When it turned out so nicely, I wished she could see it.

Here's the point. When I first printed out the photo, I got a little surprise. I''m posting it here...

What you see in the photo is the logo of an afterlife communications website THAT I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER VISITED.

I can believe nothing else except that Mama found a way to let me know she liked what I did with her bowl and pitcher lamp. The second time I printed the picture, the image was gone.

Thumbnail by Linny1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.