New bees chit chat - come on in!! 06/21/2010

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Today is the official first day of summer! Tell us what's going on in your garden...

Any links you all want me to add to this let me know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1105408/

Come on in...

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Thumbnail by locakelly
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

HA - I made it!! Bought my new HP compact desktop computer yesterday at Best Buy in Rochester. Getting the parts together to assemble tomarrow, I've still need to clear some space in my cramped work room so I can install everything.

Had a great weekend with the kids and GD Olivia, nice BBQ in the backyard for a great day!

Welcome to the newbies, you've found a great bunch!

Al

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Sure am glad I'm not the only one who can't see that little purple flower, teehee! Glad you've about got the computer problems solved Al! Just wondering, what kind of fertilizers do you all use on your flowering plants? Any thing special for any special plants? Anything not to use on anything? I'm thinking that since our growing season is so-o-o short, especially this year, so far, that maybe I should boost mine some.

Booneville, AR

thanks loca im go;ng to try the climbing rose again i found it after checking all my photo files

Thumbnail by littlenettie
Booneville, AR

this was one of the first roses i plxnted when we moved out here from in town. love the color it needs a new trellis but won.t get one any time soon. nettie

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Nettie, when was that? That is so pretty! Love roses, and have 2 climbers that I just planted this spring, so wondering how many years I have to wait, teehee. (Assuming I can keep them alive, that is)

Booneville, AR

that would be awhile ago longer than i can remember name is golden showers one of th older climbing roses around lovely rose.

Booneville, AR

skel you can krrp them alive and most won,t climb the first year just be patient climbers do take their time but most are worth the wait.

Booneville, AR

mekos i can,t find rrm home add do you know it. nettie

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks Nettie! I have a climbing yellow, but it's name escapes me right now.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Beautiful rose Nettie!

Booneville, AR

thanks loxa at one time i had around `125 they take alot of work i love roses i havr one of yhe old green roses but can.t start roses this time of year thanksgiving is the perfect time to start roses if you won,t them to do good. ihave several people who won,t one things will have to wait. not good to start things when its the wrong timr of year. love nettie

Booneville, AR

skellogg i use fish on my hosta and ferns they seam to really like it. someone told me this was go to do i was haveing trouble with my ferns wilting. they don,t do yhat with the fish stuff.

Booneville, AR

mekos got seed in the mail thank you good night love all nettie

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I found you all!

Al, you should see the sunflowers you sent... they are HUGE!

Thumbnail by cue_chik
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Cue! Good to hear from you. I sent sunflowers to just about everyone, they should be in bloom all over the country by now. Love 'em. Thanks for getting back.

Al

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Good Morning All.. Robin that baby is so precious.. I know he makes your heart proud..Nettie your yellow rose is very pretty...I was always told dont start rose cuttings unless the month has a R in it, the other months are just to hot..

I planted sunflowers but i was having lots of trouble with armadillos and moles too, but the armadillo's uprooted them..They also kept uprooting my daylilies.. I think my boys finally got rid of most of the armadillos.. Now the moles on the other hand are another story.. Any suggestions for ridding oneself of them? They are tunneling the whole yard up..I planted some dahlia tubers not to long ago and within a few minutes I could see the ground moving around it, I tried to dig the lil devil(mole) up but i never found him..Just wait till my Pup gets a lil bigger.. I bet he will get them for me and probably do more digging than the moles lol..

Haha, I think you are right about the puppy digging, Huney.
Nettie, the white blooming ground orchid is called a Spiranthes Cernua Var. Odorata, ground orchid. It has small leaves and sends up a spike that will flower all the way up the spike , it starts late summer and the flowers open around fall. Those I sent are blooming size pieces. They should bloom this fall. I was told they are hardy and go in ground but I kept mine in a hanging pot just to keep up with it. I'm gonna put it in ground this summer. One less to have to bring inside this winter.
Happy 1st of summer (officially),everyone. It's been summer here all spring. It has been at least 10-15 degrees hotter than normal all spring. It is suppose to get to 96 today and the air quality is not good either today. No breeze they said to move the air. At 9:00am, it is already 78 degrees and awful outside. From inside it looks great, nice and sunny and you go out and sweat. Guess me and Kaylee will hug the air again today.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Huney, I have been having the same armadillo problem as you have. Here are a few links I've found helpful.

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-armadillos.htm

Organic method:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/view_question/id/7/

I am going to try the organic method. Let me know how what you end up doing and if it works and I will do the same. I know it's gross but I am willing to try anything. He knocked over like 4 tomato plants, and a couple bell peppers last night. grrr..

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL Michelle 22 bullets got rid of the armadillo's..Thanks for the links tho..Now if I could figure out how to get a scope on those darn moles I'd have it made hehe..

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Heres a pic of my lil pup made about monthago.. If I can get him to be still long enough, I will get another pic today.. He has grown alot this last month.. He was 4 weeks old when we got him.. That picture was taken with my phone also sorry for bad quality..His name is Roscoe..

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Cue, your sunflowers are huge! I only have a few growing of the bunch I planted. I think the birds were snatching my seed. The thanks I get for feeding them, huh?

huney - your puppy is a cutie!

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks puppies are a new experience for me..Ive always started with dogs that were already grown.. Usually rescued from the pound..Im learning they(puppies) are as much trouble as babies, you have to watch them all the time and he is always dragging out things.. My house isnt child proof or puppy proof anymore, so I have to watch him closely..Not to mention I always said NO animals in the house! But he was so small and so cute and it was so cool outside.. Now its so hot and the mosquitos are so bad. When he gets big I dont know what im gonna do with him lol.. He's a good baby tho..

Booneville, AR

mekos rrm your things are on their way dh just went out the back door with them i hope they make it all right. love nettie.

Booneville, AR

huney fix him a place in the back yard and put in a dog door that works real good we have one the cat even goes out it i like them they are great for animals pets. love nettie

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

I was thinking about that Nettie.. Im teaching him to ring a bell when he need to go out so he doesnt scratch at the door.. He is so funny..He really does keep me company..We have to work out a gardening agreement tho.. He is always wanting to help me, when i go to digging with the shovel he gets all excited and wants to attack it, or when I get the hole just right, he thinks its his turn to dig..

Booneville, AR

i have seed for these

Thumbnail by littlenettie
Booneville, AR

yhe bell would work but the dog door would save you time im not lazy but try to save steps whenever i can. need to go hook up some soaker hose just wish it wasn,t so hot 98 on front porch in the shade some of the house plsnts don,t look verry good i can,t go put until it cools off a little may wait until about seven this evening heat stroke is not any fun.love nettie that pup is so sweet.

Booneville, AR

hi al sure have missed you glad you have a new puter. i need one but it will be a while before i can do that. nettie

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Now can you see the purple?

Thumbnail by arejay59
Booneville, AR

a landscaper in ft.smith told me to try bubble gum in the hole and they would eat it but they can,t digest it so they die id hate that haha no i wouldn,t they make a mess aym where they go they will even have their young in your flower bed they don,t care. nettie

Booneville, AR

rj ican see the purple i put my glassies on that always helps. ilike that little plant what is it called. nettie

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

lol Nettie it is taller than I am I dont know the name that is what I am hoping ou will tell me!! If I can figure out what it is I can figure out how to propagate it then I can send you one!!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm almost up and running, doing huge file transfers today. Over a thousand photos and counting. New computer looking great. Found this recent photo of Lil' Olivia only GD so far.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh how cute is she!

Booneville, AR

do we have a name the plant forum must be one somewhere on here ive nsvsr seen one like it before. nettie

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

We do - I think it's called Plant and Tree Identification.

Arejay, your plant blooming purple is Lions ear, Lions tail, leonurus Cardiaca motherwort.
Now what do I win for finding the correct name for you? I think I should get a Iris seed pod too. LOL?????

Booneville, AR

al beautiful liyyle girl i love girls and boys both can,t help myself its the moma in me. nettie

HOT DAWG! Guess what I just figured out? You can hold down the ctrl key on your keyboard, and press the + key and the post where you are reading gets larger print. If you want to make it smaller, just hold down the ctrl key and hit the - key. I'm playing tonight.LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.