Summer Blooms!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Show off your summer blooms here!

Here's Delphinium elatum 'Magic Fountains' doing it's thing. I love love love delphiniums, and the appear to like me just fine. ;)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's some astilbe looking lovely in the shade. This is astilbe andresii 'Fanal.' This is the first year I've ever gotten astilbes to grow for me (or not get eaten by something.) Maybe the wet weather is to thank for it.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

This is 'Peach Blossom.'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Madison, WI

Kayly, both your Astilbe look great. I am having tough time with them and am thinking that it's not enough water.
I do love delphiniums too. Not sure what is it about them that make my heart skip, but it does every time I see
them.

Here's my Leucanthemum 'Esther Reed'. I don't think all of the pictures in the PlantFiles of this particular Shasta Daisy are accurate. I like it's strong stems and not aggressive nature. Actaully, I'd like it to spread a bit so I can divide it :)

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

This is Rudbeckia 'Marmalade' just about to burst into color and take the stage left by the Penstemon 'Huske Red'.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

This is the first year my Dianthus amurensis 'Seberian Blues' is going to put on a show. It's not blue, but lavender.
It's really thriving this year in the poorer soil but with more sun.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

The very last Ensata iris 'Gracieuse' of this season. All my irises will be done when this flower wilts.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

Asiatic lilies are starting to bloom. This is 'Tiny Toad'. It is rather short.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

This is Asclepias turburosa that self-seeded it self from my neighbours and has not spread much in 3 years.
I love this butterfly magnet!

Thumbnail by enya_34
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous, enya! I especially love 'Tiny Toad' (and that's a great photo, too) and 'Esther Reed.' 'Marmalade' is a pretty rudbeckia, too. None of my rudbeckias are blooming yet, and I'm guessing it's just that they're too shaded. They'll get there eventually. :)

Madison, WI

This this Platycodon grandiflorus 'Komachi' . I have started it from seed 3 years ago, then "lost" the seedlings.
This year I see that my baloon flowers look different: there are the taller ones and bushier shorter ones.
Well, the bushier ones are my lost 'Komachi' :) I actually took one to the RU but no one wanted it so it came back.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

I have Monarda didyma blooming.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

This one I got from Maxine and lost the tag :( Planted in a pot but don't see it getting out of hand at all.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

This is Dianthus barbatos 'Cranberry Ice'.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

Blue Mouse Ears. This is the best filled up one of the two I have.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Ok lets see whats bloomin around here .Iam so patiently waiting,spring and early summer were here and gone ,all I have is green it seems...This was a walmart find ,I think peppermint twist phlox.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2010 6:47 AM

Thumbnail by huggergirl

tcs,my huskers red penstamon was doing well ,I found it yesterday dug up and shriveled up,#$^%& chipmunks !!!!!!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh no Tamara, that's terrible. Nothing has bothered mine at all and they are must beautiful or rather were till excess rain had everything droopy........

How are you girl??????? Bath done yet? She is done but the painting and the shelves inside....................

hey,cece,unfourtunately the bath will be on hold till winter.Umm he says he is going to finish both porches this summer anddd he has made a lot of head way soo far ,I got the fire lit,now to keep it burning..He is selling his project car a 75 corvette stingray,as he bought a new well used toy car,we are making headway..YES ive been trying to get to the new comode garden ,got new dirt,hoping to get on that this week,ive planted flowers in the toilet,starting to take off.Now if it does not rain anymore,like today its going to again...Iam already deciding what I will be bringing next yr to the round up...just some things Ive been working on to add to my ECCLECTIC GARDEN ART...1 was free the BB was 15$ at wallymart,these items should be popping into my gardens soon

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

cool cool, Every time I think about the round-up I remember you saying you're cece coogan who got the new bath????? Still haven't got mine. Girl is was so great to meet ya! You just can't know. l can't wait to see pics of your potty garden! My new pond well the surface a couple days agol.

Thumbnail by cececoogan

wow,cool ,I know I was soo glad to meet you too.Really like the pond,DH drug home a fiber glass tub of sorts now he says where do you want this,i dont know !!!! i will post when we do something with it,but its on the bottom of the todo list at the moment.Like I said cant wait till the next r-up.Ralph really enjoyed himself too,i was glad he really was a trooper.But ive been going to car shows for years without complaining...

I found some bloomers...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

see what I mean about green...they are on their way..

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Quote from huggergirl :
tcs,my huskers red penstamon was doing well ,I found it yesterday dug up and shriveled up,#$^%& chipmunks !!!!!!

I'm SO sorry to hear that. I have a terrible hatred for chipmunks. They dig around in my gardens, too. They've eaten buds off plants that I've been anxiously waiting to see in bloom, and it looks like they've uprooted some of my campanula persicifolia (the tall stuff). They've dug around my hostas and eaten some bulbs. They've chewed astilbe plants down to the ground. (No, I know it wasn't deer--I live on a city lot and have a 6 foot privacy fence. Neither are foolproof deer deterrents, but I've never seen a deer here in town.)

Stupid *&$*%! chipmunks! Every time I hear them going chip! chip! chip! I go twitch! twitch! twitch!

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Squirrels do the same. Then they look at you as you watch them from the window, as if to say, "What is your problem?" then go back to nibbling. And ants?? Oh my God - for 5 years, I couldn't figure out why my viburnum "Blue Muffin" would not make blue colored berries as it was supposed to. It bloomed, but no berries. This year, I found out - I caught ants eating all the berries!! Lord, I'm sure they are here for a reason, but I don't know what it is. I would like them to go away.

Anyway, here are some pics from today of blooms in my yard . . .

This is a pic of phlox 'Wendy House' - a beautiful fuscia!

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Wendy phlox again with delphinium 'Blue Mirror' to the right and delphinium something to the left. Geraniums in the back.

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Daylillies and geraniums . . .

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Hosta 'Guacamole' in front of viburnum, daylilly, and a 'Pinky Winky' hydrangea that's just getting its flower buds up . . .

Thumbnail by sherriseden

Kayly,still chuckling about the chipchip,twitch,twitch ROTFL...All I can say about those little rodents is,if they eat mole pellets too badd....Yes they work well.Sherri,love the Wendy and guac...

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Mole pellets...

Yes, I'm thinking I'm going to have to resort to awful things. Can't have my gardens destroyed year after year. Do you think they would move the pellets, though? I could put them in the front yard, but if they transported them to the backyard the dogs might get into them.

Oh, and Sherri I forgot to comment (too twitchy about the chipmunks) that your blooms are beautiful!

This message was edited Jun 28, 2010 8:30 AM

Madison, WI

chipmunks = evil so do squierrels
The only difference is that the former dig up in the flower bed,
whereas the latter trash all potted plants.

Enjoying the color and the whimsy :)

kayly,Yes they do work I was over run by moles last yr and chipmunks,soo I had to do the pellets and I thought 2 birds 1 stone possibly,well it worked on both ends.Havent seen any moles yet !!! But it took spring to bring back more chipmunks.Iam ready to do it again....I put the pellets in both mole and chipmunk runs as they will share.I have never seen any sign of the pellets any where after they disapear from the run.I place a rock over the hole after the pellets. I hate doin it. I hate mole traps more they just tick me off ...LOL

ok some critter chewed the under ground phone line,small critter ,Iam thinking Chipmunk...Looks like its time for pellets again...phone guy was here all day yesterday,they have to bury a new line,they have us hooked up with a jumper line now.I had noticed a new pile of dirt in the ditch never even thought about it,other than whats digging here ??? not a ground hog too small,but aalot of dirt 3 inch hole,well the new hole right by the pole where the line runs....

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Tiger eye,rudbecia,its an annual though... But soo pretty ,I will plant it again

Thumbnail by huggergirl

I dont remember what the purple or I dont even know what color to call them are ??? But it turned out soo pretty the plants were all leftovers.... The bocca is white but its not blooming,Iam having the same trouble with purple bocca too,growing not blooming ??? Iam hoping that it looks as pretty with the white if it ever blooms again !!!!

Thumbnail by huggergirl

purple cones filling in nice ,going to have to thin them..anyone need some???

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Purple and white cones at the property line ,there are a few white ones up top peeking out,and there are more white blooming out there now,took this few days ago.I gotta get out there andd clean the grass out of them.

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Hugger, your echinaceas look great. Mine are really pathetic this year for some reason. I can't tell if it's bugs or disease or both (aster yellows, although it doesn't quite look like it.) On many, I'm getting cones but no petals. Also strangely bent stems. :(

Madison, WI

Yes, your echinaceas look very bright and floriferous. The "leftovers" are quite artistic :)

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Kayle Some of mine in back are doing the same thing. I never questioned it, My bad.

The ones out front have taken over the bed. But the gaillardia and the bellflowers are catching up quick and Shasta Daisy Becky is being no slacker.............

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.