Critters Big and Small Volume #4

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Great macro shots of your insects Hack, and like the description of them too.
Nanny, that is so neat, that you got a Hummingbird Moth. I've seen one at my sister last month, and realized to late it was one. What was worst, I had my camera in hand, and ready to take pictures. It was just one of those Duh moments. ;) My sister got a picture of it days later, in her Lupin patch, but it was a bit blurry.

Here's one of a European Skipper. There were a bunch around me, where I took this shot.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

These little bees are quite busy in the garden.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

One of my baby Black Swallowtail cats! I brought in 6 and 4 have hatched so far.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

What's their host plant Nanny?

Sandusky, OH

Nice work Hack, nanny and Burn!! Have a few pics from the last few days. Some are butterfly's if you want to Id them.

First this painted turtle was crossing the path at the marsh to get to the other part of the marsh...notice the leach tagging along...lol

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Butterfly no.1

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

No.2

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

No.3

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

and lastly No.4

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Burd, #2 is called a Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis).

http://animal.discovery.com/guides/butterflies/angelwings-tortoiseshells/question-mark.html

Hack

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm pretty sure that #1 is an Aphrodite Fritillary (Speyeria aphrodite).

http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabambc/construct-species-page.asp?sp=Speyeria-aphrodite
Look at the 4th one down, looks like yours.

Hack

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I think #4 is a Cabbage White Butterfly (Pieris rapae)

http://greennature.com/gallery/butterfly-pictures/cabbage-white.html

Hack

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Without seeing the dorsal wing surfaces, I'm at a loss as to what #3 is. I went through my books and nothing stood out.

If you've not already done so, take it to the Insect ID forum. I image suunto will know what it is. I'd be curious to see its ID.

Sorry,
hack

This message was edited Jul 5, 2010 10:47 AM

Burn, here the BST will lay eggs on fennel, parsely, dill, Queen Anne's Lace...just about anything from tthe carrot family. I have a couple Bronze Fennel plants for them and that is what they used here. No takers on my dill or parsely. I often find the cats while walking around on the wild Queen Ann's Lace that grows all over here.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Pretty sure #3 is a Hackberry emperor. The rest of your IDs seem right on, Hack. The aphrodite and Great Spangled Frits can look alike, but the GS has a light band on the underside between the spots.

Leconte's Haploa Moth

This message was edited Jul 5, 2010 10:22 AM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mrs_Ed, I'd briefly saw that, but for some reason I dismissed it. But now that you've called my attention back to it, I, too, think # 3 is a Hackberry Emporer. In my Audobon Field Guide, it is simply referred to as a Hackberry Butterfly (doesn't include "Emporer" - but it is ID'd as Asterocampa celtis. In the Audobon book, It is exhibited as from above, with a view of the dorsal wing surface, I looked long at it, but passed. That's why I told Burn I wish I had a dorsal view.

Here, Burn, here's a link to one. Hackberry Emporer (Asterocampa celtis) - aka Hackberry Butterfly
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1473398630056961735ynvsFc

Hack

This message was edited Jul 5, 2010 11:42 AM

Plenty of links in our own bugfiles too!

Sandusky, OH

Thanks Hack and Mrs_Ed for the Id's! Ive seen these large yellow butterfly's but they won't land for a shot.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

WOW, Mrs_Ed put me on to something

http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/53/

Hack

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Long-legged Fly

I am amazed at the beauty of these little flies.

I measured the length of the leaf it is on - about 1.5 inches.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Cropped.

I wish the image were sharper. I was hand-holding the camera and the fly was in the shade, so to speak.. If it had been in the sun light, I could have upped the shutter speed. Maybe next time.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

I think we've unleashed a bug maniac here!! lol

Got a Comma today!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Cool, nanny, I can see the comma. Now, don't be calling yourself names :-)

Aren't bugs neat. At a glance, you never see the intricate colors and patterns. Amazing to me

hack

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Hack and nanny! Follow mom!

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Quote from TheHackster :
Cool, nanny, I can see the comma. Now, don't be calling yourself names :-)

Aren't bugs neat. At a glance, you never see the intricate colors and patterns. Amazing to me

hack

You know who I am talking about!! lol :0)

But you are right...very cool to see what you can find if you look around!

Hey hack, don't forget to visit the Photography forum. they have a macro thread going on there.

Love that little groudhog parade!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL! The "Follow Mom" picture should have a caption like "and over here, the humans have planted a wonderful buffet for us that they call a garden"

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Scores of Monarch butterflies take a more direct route to get up north by traversing part of the Atlantic ocean to get to the South Shore here on Long Island. Yesterday DW and I watched as groups of these butterflies flew onto the beach. Many do not survive the crossing, as we sat watching the show, (which most beachgoers were oblivious to), one happened to land on our beach umbrella. It slumped over wings folded, exhausted in the rising temperatures of a severe heat wave we are experiencing here, still about ¼ mile from vegetation it seemed doomed, just another casualty in natures scheme. DW picked it up, the butterfly barely moving it's legs gave no resistance and sadly handed it to me. It's wings in perfect condition, but too weak to fly, I put it in a brown paper bag and brought it home.

Upon arriving I put a buddleia bloom in a small bowl of water inside a small two gallon fish tank, placed the butterfly in the tank and closed the ventilated lid. Within seconds the butterfly started drinking the nectar from the blooms and was up and alert within an hour, rejuvenated it stayed in the tank overnight, (motel 6), and will be released this am amongst our butterfly bushes. Hopefully gaining strength and following it's instincts back to the shore just a few miles away where they all swarm in October before returning south.

Taken just a few minutes ago in the tank before release.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
PERTH, Australia

WC2, good on you and you wife for doing that. What a beautiful photo.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I was ready to take of pic of it's release, but it flew out of the tank so fast!! - it headed directly South, - straight for the shore to join his friends as I expected. ☺

Big BST caterpillar found today while out walking...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Found a couple smaller ones on the fennel this evening...so all are inside now at the Morgan Inn! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Yay swallowtails.

Feeding time!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Here fishy, fishy.....

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Lol Nanny, I agree with you on unleashing a bug maniac, he's got some pretty colored one too. Thanks for listing the host plant for the ST.
Your butterflies are really nice Burd.
Marna, you have Koi! I'm still with Shubunkin and comets, and common Goldfish. My Shubunkin is well rounded with eggs.
WaterCan, glad you were there for that poor Monarch your care gave him another chance, to maybe produce another generation.
I found this Groundhog coming toward me on the road. I approached slowly, and when I was too close for comfort, it got on it's hind legs, and then seeing I was still approaching, he dashed into the high grass.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

My cat was playing around with this frog last night. DH caught him just in time, to rescue it.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Yah, we bought two small koi earlier in the year to go with the 2 comet and 2 shubunkin. They are growing fast!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Neighbor's cat got this mouse in my flower bed.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Good kitty!

Hey hack....here is a couple for you!

Bee & Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.