Wildlife: Critters Big and Small Volume #4, 1 by WaterCan2

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright WaterCan2

In reply to: Critters Big and Small Volume #4

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Critters Big and Small Volume #4
WaterCan2 wrote:
Scores of Monarch butterflies take a more direct route to get up north by traversing part of the Atlantic ocean to get to the South Shore here on Long Island. Yesterday DW and I watched as groups of these butterflies flew onto the beach. Many do not survive the crossing, as we sat watching the show, (which most beachgoers were oblivious to), one happened to land on our beach umbrella. It slumped over wings folded, exhausted in the rising temperatures of a severe heat wave we are experiencing here, still about ¼ mile from vegetation it seemed doomed, just another casualty in natures scheme. DW picked it up, the butterfly barely moving it's legs gave no resistance and sadly handed it to me. It's wings in perfect condition, but too weak to fly, I put it in a brown paper bag and brought it home.

Upon arriving I put a buddleia bloom in a small bowl of water inside a small two gallon fish tank, placed the butterfly in the tank and closed the ventilated lid. Within seconds the butterfly started drinking the nectar from the blooms and was up and alert within an hour, rejuvenated it stayed in the tank overnight, (motel 6), and will be released this am amongst our butterfly bushes. Hopefully gaining strength and following it's instincts back to the shore just a few miles away where they all swarm in October before returning south.

Taken just a few minutes ago in the tank before release.