ORVG Coffee House #178 After the RU!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue, I failed to comment on your hosta garden. It is looking good. I only have about 3 varieties, but love them all. One day, I will add to the collection, since all of mine are full enough to look pretty, and that project can wait a little while.

DGD had lice one time, and with her long curly/wavy hair, it sure was a big job to comb through it, and try to get the nits. I think her mother used the shampoo, and combing for about 2 weeks until she felt comfortable they were gone. It usually doesn't take that long, but with the long hair, they had many places to hide. She had been itching her head for about 2 weeks, and I bought dandruff shampoo thinking that she might just have that. Then her DM got a call from the school. Even though she was here during the outbreak, I stripped her bed, vacuumed thoroughly and took all kinds of precautions, nobody here caught them. Hallelujah. Never had them, and sure don't want them this late in life. Good luck.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue, your best bet is to call your Dr or the kids Dr and get the prescription cream. It costs a lot less than the over the counter stuff and it's 5x more effective. We had them here once a few years ago and I hope to never see the nasty little )(&()&$## again.

Columbus, OH

Chelle is all over the head lice advice, I learned the same thing. My niece had a couple of lousy kids in her class, that family had lice every couple of years, and shared :/

Marcy, here you go:

Rosemary New Potato Salad With Gorgonzola
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 lbs. new potatoes
1/4 lb. red onions -- minced
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbl. white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary -- crumbled and
chopped
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Gorgonzola or feta cheese
1/4 lb. toasted and largely chopped walnut pieces

Rinse the new potatoes well and place in cold salted water. Bring to boil and boil til tender about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup white wine vinegar and rosemary.

Combine the 1 tablespoon vinegar, Dijon and salt and pepper. Whisk or using blender, pour oil in a thin stream to emulsify.

Mix everything together and toss well and serve.

Note: I use more vinegar, and ACV rather than white wine vinegar, I like the acidity. I probably double the amount of dressing, I like it a little sloppy.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Sue those hostas are making me want to go buy some. Only the deer will just come and nibble away if I do. :( I had some gorgeous hostas at our old house.

I have suppressed nightmare saga dealing with lice...all I can say is get the DR prescription and be done with it. Also vacuum, couches, car seats, carpets, pillows, etc and Wash or tie up in black bags all non washables. Throw out vacuum bag.

Just think six kids all 9 and under.....girls with uncut long hair and it lasting all summer long.

Columbus, OH

I used the flea spray with precor on the furniture and mattress, etc. Gah.

i guess i will be cleaning the house today. So much for going to farmers market tomorrow and to top it off i got a fever and a bad cold.
Chelle i can't blame you their with the @#$ nasty critters. I can't imagine with that many kids and lice. You poor thing.
Heny i have deer too and they don't seem to bother my plants so far. Knock on wood. maybe cuz they are to close to the house ?
i can't wait to comb out my hair LOL
kids have hair cuts today also ... uhg. LOL sick irony isn't it ?
off to wally .

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Okay gardening question:

I was surprised by the Shasta Daisies, Baby's Breath and White Sweet Williams...I had winter sown them winter '09 and then transplanted them for the of summer '09, They only had foliage last year [which being a newbie I didn't realize that was how they roll]. This year I walked down to check on things and before anything else that bed was overflowing with blooms and flowers.

Now the bed seems to be all but dying....not brown foliage just dead flowers. So do I cut back all the flowers? Will they bloom again?

Also the gutter on that side was overflowing [fixed now] and the the downpour went straight into the middle of the bed...I have a large rock I plan to move to that spot for next year...to try and help if it happens again.

Thumbnail by Henygirl
Columbus, OH

Try deadheading them and see if they rebloom...it depends on the variety for all of these. My dianthus bloom all summer if I deadhead, BUT...but...they're not long-lived perennials, so let some of them go to seed. And don't be a maroon and dead head all of your annual dianthus till the seeds don't have time to develop. If that sounds like the voice of experience, well...*blush*

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue, if the kids have lice, I would not take them to a salon unless you've talked to them already. I don't know what the rules are now...used to be, we could not work on anyone that had them. We'd have to close down the salon and sterilize and sanitize everything. It was a royal pain. I have had a few people tell me their stylist did take care of it for them. Maybe things have changed or maybe they had a really nice stylist. LOL Even though the medical and government people have said kids can go back to school if they have nits, so long as they have no moving bugs, but the schools here will not let kids participate if they have a speck of ANYTHING.

When they showed up here, it was one of the little kids. I'm fairly certain where they came from and when. I called the school to let them know so they could check other kids my kids were in contact with. They singled out my four youngest girls, sent them all home. I treated, checked, used the preventative measures, etc and sent them back after a few days. Talk about paranoia!

We used the electric comb and the metal comb and the plastic comb and checked constantly for months. It was horrible. I checked hair until my arms burned from holding them in the air and I sat and cried. Then I went and checked all the preschool kids since the church people were unfamiliar with what they looked like.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Sue I think your hosta may be Sagae. I have one. Just to let you know, it is not huge --- yet. I saw a 10 year old one that was at least 8 feet across and nearly 4 feet high. Mine has been in about 5 years and is over 4 feet across.

Go here then click on Sagae in the left hand column.
http://hostalibrary.org/s/s.html

A friend gave mine to me, but I think they are a popular hosta. I had plants closely planted around it and each year, as mine gets larger, I have to dig up more plants to rescue them from being overtaken, as it gets bigger and bigger.

Here is mine, from 2007. Could not find a more recent picture. It has grown so much since then that it's now over taking that bleeding heart down at the bottom, just right of center. Also, notice the astillbe to the right and a little to the back of the Sagae.

I'll go take a photo of it today to show how much bigger it is.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2010 10:55 AM

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Curious?
Could you 'Flea Bomb' the house to get rid of the nits?
Obviously you'd have to hand control the kids but.....

Columbus, OH

Spray, don't bomb. I dated one of the entymology guys at OSU when I was in college. LOL

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue,...definitely Sagae. Pretty isn't it? I saw one on a garden tour that lined the back of a deck. They were 4 feet high and the row was probably 30 feet long. I put it on my wish list immediately. Now I have two! :O)

Isn't that just the luck...School is almost out and NOW you get those buggers....geesh.

Been a busy girl the last two days. Spread two yards of red mulch yesterday and I still need half a yard more....sigh....

Sue....save me some of the JP ferns!

(Zone 5b)

Catching up! Was canning strawberry jam most of the day and didn't get finish and clean kitchen up till jsut after 2 AM. I took a few short breaks but will never get 15 qts of strawberries at one time again LOL

Darius - I gave your Pickled Red Onion recipe to my friend yesterday. She made two batches and said to tell you THANK YOU, they love it and ate half of the first batch before it even had a chance to marinade LOL. I bought 12 red onions and am going to make it later today!

Sue - SHEESH!!! I feel down right lazy after looking at your veggie and flower gardens, girl you've been working your butt off. It's all so pretty! I'm so excited about your incubating project. If I don't get a broody hen I'll get a little incubator and try it.

Candy, hope you feel better soon! This is an awful time of year to be sick, too many beautiful things to look at and do outside.

Marcy, dont' worry! My DN loves being tall! Her mom is probably 5ft 7, and her dad is over 6 ft. She is always telling me she doesn't need help - she can REACH it by herself LOL. She's shy and felt very welcomed by everyone at the RU. She wanted to know if there were RU's every weekend because she wants to go to all of them LOLOL.

Celene, a kitchen renovation sounds exciting. The mess and dust goes away and you'll have a beautiful new kitchen, Pictures??

Henrygirl, just love the color of your front door, what is it called? It's a very inviting color. Did you make the kite ont he door? What a cute idea.

Now I'm itchy just from reading about the Lice! When my DN first came to live with us she had head lice but I didn't know it until the dr told me. Never had any experience with it!! She was so sick I didn't even notice her scratching her head, not that that would have been a clue I'd notice qith everythign else she was going through. She was too sick for any lice treatments so we had to wait about 2 weeks before it was safe enough for her to use the prescription. In the mean time I alternated between using olive oil one day and the next covering her head in Cetaphil the next. Nit combing every day too. I cleaned 24/7, sprays, swept, washed everything in bleach. It was a real PIA! The head lice was the least of her problems. I will never understand mothers that don't care for their children. I feel a rant coming on and will stop LOL.

Ric, can't wait to see pics of your defined garden rooms. It seems you have a treasue in every room. You should have something at your house so I can figure out a way to get that exploding red bench in my car LOL

I have serious hosta envy from all the pictures! Wish there was a shady spot here but there isn't.

Wheeew!! Sorry this was so long! Happy to see you all!!

Annie

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Sue, I took pictures of Sagae this morning. Notice where the bleeding heart is now - under the hosta - I will have to move it, and probably the astillbe this fall. The hosta covers the astillbe plant, pushing the blooms off to the right.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2010 10:56 AM

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

For those with kids and/or grandkids:
Campbell Soup Company is recalling 15 million pounds of "SpaghettiOs"
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_035_2010_Release/index.asp

Darius, heard that last night on the news. DGD eats it sometimes, and I checked and have none in the cupboard. Whew, always something.

Columbus, OH

Halfway through 3 tons of pea gravel around my garage. That's a lot of shoveling and schlepping.

LO, I think just 'schlepping' adequately describes the ordeal!

I don't think you will have to bomb or spray a house for lice. Remember they are blood sucking parasites . They can't live with out a host . maybe 24 hrs to the most 48hrs. They won't leave a host just to go and hang out on a couch. :) I have used DE food grade on most of the kids pillows and hats ect... put them in a bag and will leave them there 48 hrs. THen wash and rinse them off.
Chelle no we rescheduled . I wouldn't put them poor girls through that LOL . I feel for you with all them girls and lice. You poor thing. !
A dryer is a great source for killing the lice ,louse and nits. ( no don't put your kids or animals in the dryer ) The temp in a dryer is to hot for their survival. I read this while google searching lice . can't remmeber the link ?
i guess i will be getting new shirts on sunday.
Celene wow that is a lot of gravel . your poor back ?
Yuk Spagetti'os . what was the recall for ? bacteria ? couldn't imagine anything living in one of them cans of that stuff LOL IMHO :)
Jules that is a beauty of a hosta ! thank yo so much for the info. Hooray . I can finely tell people what it is.
Joyce i got one with your name on it.
well i have a temp of 101 .5 and a dragging body . feel like crap.
i got to go lie down. headache from the smell of all this shampoo . blach

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Yoo Hoo! Baker's Acres Annual Summer Sale!! http://www.bakersacresgreenhouse.com/

Well, I am feeling much better this morning. Just in time for the heat and humidity. Still, it feels good to sweat from working instead of having a fever! Spoken like a true gardener. LOL

Rebecca, yesterday when I went into the shed I discovered the beautiful glass ornaments you sent me. I had forgotten all about them in my cold-induced haze. They are great, thank you so much. I put the yellow flower in a pot next to the "Dancing Gypsy" coleus, the hot colors really set each other off. I am still deciding where to put the blue glass ball.

Celene, I have been enjoying the rose soap and the bath salts. You really have a great eye for design. I'm amazed by your attention to detail - even the scoop is so attractive tied with the ribbon to close the package. Thank you again.

The lilies are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank goodness it was only a couple of mine! I treated everyone though, just to be sure. Everything got sprayed and vacuumed, stuffed animals were banished from the house, etc. It was unfun and I'd not care to do it again.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

taynors, it sounds like you have what I had. I finally went to the dr. and got on an antibiotic and that slowly turned things around. My throat was raw and my head was stuffed up. It took me 5 days to finally give in and go to the doctor on Monday, and today I am feeling really good - at last!

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sooooooo many beauties......I would love to tour everyone's gardens...LOL !

Annie you know I want to taste that strawberry jam.......LOL.As if my waistline needs to.Last night talking about it and hearing the lids pop makes me want to go get some strawberries of my own.

Woke up this morning with my kidney ,back and legs killing me........boy I can't wait until the 28th to go to the urologist.And if I drink anymore water and Gatorade I'm going to float away......ROFL.I don't even have room for my coffee ~~~~ ugh !

Thumbnail by synda
Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Okay...I made a decision while I was outside watering all those plants and veggies. I hacked down the daisies. :O I only hacked to the new growth...I saved the old dead dried flours and stems...threw those on top of the new foliage growth and covered the whole mess with some hay.

It looks tons better...even if I don't see new blooms this year.

And the okra, peas and beans are popping up...I was super late planting my seeds this year...with a daughter graduating my gardening was neglected.

One reason I loved moving here is the gardening seems easier since the rainfall is normally consistent enough I don't have to water. But this week we got nothing and next week doesn't look good either.

Evening folks. Boy was it hot here today!!

I took my walk this morning, then was in and out. I had to take breaks and cool off, but I did accomplish a few things before I had to leave to take DGD to meet her mother. She is going home for the weekend.

I got one bed weeded, and then deadheaded all the roses, and gave them a shot of fertilize.

I have two pots that I tossed some seeds in a few weeks ago, and I have a bumper crop of something. I forgot what I planted!! So will have to decide where to plant them, and then will have to wait and see just what I have!! I love surprises, and these plants sure are gonna be.

You all talking about the strawberry jam. DH picked several gallon of strawberries, but I just put them in the freezer and will make the jam later. I usually make one batch to eat right now, but will wait until winter to make the rest.

DH just came to the door. He had gone fishing after supper, and has several fish,one a huge catfish. So you know what he is doing right now.

i didn't do strawberry this year. i m saving my funds for black raspberries ! i like better cuz i don't have to use sugar in the jam.
so tired
still doing laundry
bed stuff was put on hold due to baseball game
thank goodness its the last one
soccer is next.
World Cup USA played today.
still doing laundry,,, did i say that already ?
good night
i m pooped and i ain't got no pillow !
to tired to care

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

My DH just paid this guy down in town ten bucks for a medium sized container full. Not even sure how much is in there! He told Dave they were selling for 2 something a pint? I know they aren't cheap. Anyway..I have enough to make a pie...wow..expensive pie huh?
Celene..thanks for the recipe! I will be making that soon!
Well..we been running all over hunting gold paper plates. Finally found what I needed.
Anybody have any ideas what to mix punch in for 100 people? I don't even know how I am going to chill it??? No room in my fridge! My brain is tired from trying to figure out all this stuff!
Sue..hope you feel better soon...and get rid of the lice too! Not fun, I am sure!
We were supposed to meet Martha and Morris for lunch tomorrow at a small restaurant in West Milton...but guess we will go by ourselves. She left a msg saying her SIL was coming to fix their riding mower, and tomorrow was the only day he could come. And that's fine, because Morris has been mowing an acre with a push mower! At 90 yrs young! Geesh!
Hope they get it fixed! Night everyone!

Columbus, OH

I am piddling with a rhubarb chutney recipe. I'd like to can some for Christmas presents, if I get the flavor I want.

Marcy, I used to have a punch recipe where you froze part of the punch and you didn't need to pre chill the punch, just put the frozen part in the bowl and pour in the pre mixed punch. I think it had bananas in it, and it could be made way in advance and kept in the freezer. Maybe the whole thing was frozen, and you just used ginger ale in the bowl and let it thaw. I will look, and if I can't find mine, and you are interested, I think DH's cousin has the recipe. Just LMK. When do you need it?

Are you talking about black raspberries that are so high? Sheesh, that is expensive for one pie.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was going to say the same thing as Bonnie! Freeze part of of the punch and use that to keep it cool.

(Zone 5b)

Sue, try rolling up a towel and using it as a pillow until the lice situation is cleared up. Easier to toss the towels in the washer with some bleach than to constantly clean the pillows. I did that for my DN when she had lice. I put her pillow in the dryer for 15 minutes, sprayed it with nit spray, put it in a plastic garbage bag and put it in the freezer for a week. I wanted those buggers gone.

I sure hope you feel better soon!!

Annie

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Wow! This is one busy thread! I've been out dealing with hubby and the fire ring out back - that man is a firebug to say the least. Earlier today I had to take my mom-in-law to the doctor and then mess around with trading cars because mine's been in the shop for a few days. Tomorrow I am running a rabbit clinic for the FFA and 4-H kids in Butler County.

Marcy, thanks for the nice welcome! I read this thread all the time and just love hearing what everyone's up to. Thought I'd finally post a little here and there.

Joyce, I would LOVE to see your gardens; especially after all the wonderful things everyone has said after seeing them on RU day.

I would've loved to come to the RU - it was only 25 minutes due east from me!- but my nephew is getting married next week and that was bridal shower day. How often do you hold them and are they always at Armco Park?

Celene, I am still planning on coming up to Baker's Acres but just found out today that my AC unit on the van is totally shot and will be $800 to fix so.....no Baker's Acres til fall! LOL my van is navy blue and I can barely get to the grocery without melting with the heat we've had lately. We've been trying to cut back on spending so we can see our son get off the USS Eisenhower at the end of July - he's been out to sea since Jan 3.

Di

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey gals..that sounds like a good idea! Thanks! And Bonnie, yes..would love the recipe. Need it before July 10th.
And yes....talking about black raspberries. These are wild ones. This guy told Dave he spent two hrs picking them...lol....and soooo..his point was?????? I thought it was kind of high...considering we don't know how much are in that container. But I will measure them out to see!
I've never paid ten bucks for a pie in my life! And I still have to make it too!
This guy has it made anyway. He does mechanical work at his defunct gas station in town. And whenever you try to get a price out of him ahead of time, it's always..well it won't be too much. But it always is!! A lot of people don't have any choice but to use him.
Now..in his defense...I have to say he is a nice guy...lol. He mows yards for little old ladies, helps many people out in one way or another .
Ok..now my concience sp?....feels better...hahaha..!! Nite all!!

(Zone 5b)

Darius,

I made a triple batch of your refrigerator pickled onions today, wow are they ever good! I took a big container down to the shop for my husband to taste, he brought home an empty container, guess everyone there loved them too. Can't wait to try them on burgers on the grill, yum. I've already passed your recipe to three people!

Tasted the strawberry jam I made yesterday. That's it, I'm breaking up with Smuckers LOL. It was good stuff! DN is going to decorate some jam jars tomorrow to give away as gifts. She's so proud of herself for helping.

I'm hoping tomorrow will be a quiet uneventful day so I can spend it in the flower beds and enjoy it.

G'night all!

Annie

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Di....come on! You're welcome here anytime.

This is the first time we've had the RU at Armco, but it worked out really well. We have the main RU once a year, and a mini in the Fall. Not too much plant trading at the Fall one, just eating and gabbing!

Well, I've heard so much about those pickled onions that I'm thinking of making a batch...I'm not a huge fan of onions, but I do like vidalia. Trouble is onions don't like me so much, so maybe pickling them they won't be so bad.

Youngest GD turns 8 today. Her BD party is at 2:00. Then Father's Day tomorrow, so a cookout with my Dad and Mom. Only one of our 4 kids is in town, so it won't be a huge celebration. I've invited Bill's Dad, but you can never tell if they'll show or not, and if they do, they might not stay long enough to eat! We were gifted some steaks the other day, so I think we may have those. I was only planning on hotdogs, but the steaks sound a LOT better! ^_^

I'm finally finished with my red mulch. Wish I'd been finished before you all came and saw the garden! I found a place that still had bulk left, only not very much, and it's really similar to the original red bulk I used. So I covered all the bagged red with the new and finished the main paths. Then did the shade bed and finally the baby hosta bed. Whew....that's tiring! Then I worked like mad on the bed at the end of the house. Not finished there yet. It will look stunning when it's finished. IMHO!!! LOL

Okay, need to go clean the kitchen....I'm telling you I surely wish I had a maid to do the inside stuff during the summer!

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Marcy if you have a bunt pan you can fill it half way with water and some fruit...that compliments the punch...freeze the filled punt pan. For the party...just sit it in alittle hot water to loosen and then plop it out for your ice...and it looks beautiful too...chills the punch great.

(Zone 5b)

I was wondering if the same recipe for pickled Red onions could be used for Vadilia onions? The canned version -----not the cold stored ones?

I know Vadilia wouldn't look as pretty in the canned jars as the red onions would - but it would be a nice change of taste. Also the canned vidilias, it wouldn't take up so much space in the spare fridge. Anyone have an idea if the V's would work or not?

Need a nap today for some reason. IT'S SO H O T !!! For once I have the time! Just let the dogs out quick and gave them a drink of water, they're all comfy in their beds in the living room napping. The chickens just got fresh water for the second time today and half of a small watermellon. The cats, well, they do what they want but will let me know if they need anything so I can JUMP and get it for them right away. DN is taking a nap so I should take advanage of the time and take one too!

Can't believe I'm saying this but a little rain would be nice. Keep cool today!

Annie

Glad y'all are liking the pickled onion recipe(s). Any kind of onion would work (other than scallions)... just a slight change in flavor although the vinegar might override it. The red onions are pretty... part of the appeal?

Nothing going on here... too hot. Got an electrician coming for an estimate on a small job. The pump house circuit comes off the main outside box with no breaker. Some previous homeowner job and not too safe.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We got 3/4" of rain this morning.
No watering for a few days!!!!!

86° (Heat Index 91°)
And of course we're working in a sunny bed..... lol!

Here's Missy doing an Annie Impression.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.