ORVG Coffee House #178 After the RU!

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

darius, those are beautiful hollyhocks! This is my first year for them and mine are a wonderful creamy white color with no leaves because of rust. I have tried just about everything..I love the hollyhock flowers but the bare stalks look a little weird. ^_^

joycet, I'm about 30 minutes from you and saw my first japanese beetle a few days ago - right on my roses!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Good evening. Today was grocery/errand day, and with the horrid heat, I was exhausted and had a headache when I got home. Needless to say nothing else got done, because I took some Tylenol and had a short nap.

Joyce, I am seeing JB every day. Not so much on the plants, but the are diving into the pool, and I have to dip them out. They are still alive, so I have a small can (peach can) with some diesel fuel in it, and they go in there. No squishing, just instant death.

Sue, I hope the sticky things work for you with them. Everything at your house is looking really good. Sure hope that you don't have more rain, as that could be detrimental to the garden stuff.

Darius, thanks for that onion recipe. I think I will make some to have on hand. Can you put them in a water bath to seal them, and hence can them? Your hollyhocks are pretty. I have the black ones, and the leaves are riddled with holes, but the flowers unaffected.

Annie that is a short while to get all the plants in the ground. Don't feel any pressure, things happen you know. Some things live, some don't.

Sue, I have bunches of daylilies blooming. Matter of fact went out tonight (late evening) to take some pictures, and drat, the batteries in my camera were dead. So will have to do that tomorrow.

Janet, when is the big tour of your daylilies? If you need any help, give me a call, I would be happy to come lend a hand.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Di.....get here and see my garden then....you can even help pull weeds! LOL...

Sues......I need some of those Darius Daisies.....

Had a fun day yesterday with some girlfriends and then it was a pleasant day to plant. Getting there! I think the only things I have left to plant are irises.

Okay, need to go walk the kingdom!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Bonnie, the first pickled red onion recipe LINK I posted above in this thread is for canning. They taste very similar but the ice box ones are a bit crisper.

Joyce, I think those daisies I gave Sue were the shasta daisy 'Alaska'...

I finally got in some weeding yesterday after I mowed. Dug an entire wheelbarrow full of just tall prickly ones that were close to seeding. Got the rest of my tiny tomato seedlings in the ground. They hadn't done squat in the seed trays after 6-7 weeks, barely had their second leaves. Just that amount of time in the heat and humidity took all the starch out of me.

Cookie yes i will put you down for some daisys LOL
darius the scapes are the little cocoon things in the top part right ? i see about 3-5 in the patch. I have heard of pickled scapes in a Mother Earth News mag. it sounded good.
If anyone needs them yellow sticky things LMK i can order you some. THey are great !! i can't stress it enough. i have not seen one bug ! on my plants.
today i will dust with DE for the ground bugs.
thanks for the kind words on my garden. Next year i hope i can get it under control with mulch and landscape clothe. I was hoping to do it this spring but with all this rain, it just didn't happen :(
Bonnie take it easy in this heat. How is DH doing ? working his garden good i m sure. It was great to meet the face to your GD. She is a cute girl. Very pretty long hair. :) good coloring . i spend big bucks trying to get that color hair LOL
off and running

Sue, I will pass along the comments to DGD. She spends hours on her hair straightening it. It is naturally curly and wavy, and of course that is NOT in right now. I fear that she is going to cause real damage with the straightening iron. She is a really good kid, and such a smart one too. She has been in honors classes since she was in 3rd grade.

Well, I need to do a garden walk, and exercise walk before it gets too hot.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Yep...Gaby was a sweetheart. as well as :Annie's DN, but I don't remember her name! Hard to type with Atlas gloves on!

TAKE THE GLOVES OFF. It is easier that way.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi to one and all,

Sorry it has taken me so long to post after the RU. I have been sick as a dog, went to the doctor on Monday and got antibiotics for the first time in about 15 years. I am starting to feel better although still sleeping a lot and not doing much when I am awake.

I have managed to keep everything alive that people gave me from the RU. Thank you all so much; I am thrilled with all my new plants and soaps and bath salts and glass ornaments - just what the doctor ordered to help me feel better!

The rain has finally stopped just in time for the JBs to arrive. I still have all my dahlias to plant (at least 40 of them) and over 100 colored calla lilies, and their bed is a mucky swamp. Oh well, by the time I feel well enough to plant maybe the bed will have started to dry out. One good thing about being sick - I've been forced to spend a lot of time just sitting and looking and I'm really enjoying seeing all the beauty instead of focusing on what needs to be done next.

So I'm sorry I missed the RU but you were all definitely better off without me and my germs! Hopefully next time I will make it. Thanks to one and all for your generosity and a special thanks to Celene and Marshall for transporting plants back and forth for me.

And now it's time to take some cough syrup and sit on the patio looking at all the pretty flowers. 8^)

The Japanese Iris have loved all the rain.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Joyce is trying not to leave fingerprints.
Obviously CSI is involved.... Let me talk to Bill!!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I spoke w/ Candy Tuesday and from the way she sounded we definitely didn't need those germs!!!
Glad the 'biotics are kicking in!
The Dahlias are coming up from our Bakers trip.
The others are getting cataloged in our Database and will be planted today.
Candy says LOW LOW Nitrogen on them.
Otherwise it's weak foliage and few flowers.
We're turning our 'tater patch at Jon's into a Dahlia bed.

We 'might' be able to get in the veggie garden today.
Almost dry enough.
SO glad we put in that boardwalk, patios and decking system.
We'd be knee deep in mud otherwise.

Sue when did you start signing as Madonna?
We've always known you were a Diva but.....

Thumbnail by henryr10
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sue, the information about pickling garlic scapes is here
http://www.southernexposure.com/newsletter.html

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all!
Candy, so glad to hear you are on the way to recovery. Don't over do it!
Di...yes....you NEED to go see Joyce's gardens and pond! She is not hard to find! And good to see you posting!
Bonnie, I meant to tell you what a pretty girl your GD is too. And she is so sweet!
And Annie, I hope I didn't hurt your DN's feelings when I made the comment she was taller than my GD who is 11. I certainly didn't mean it that way. Sometimes my mouth doesn't say what my brain is thinking!
She was adorable...and so interested in everything!
Well..the 'air' is off...windows open!! Yayy!! So pleasant here this morning!
Very heavy dew though, so guess I will wait a bit to get out in the yard, since Dave mowed last night...and there is grass everywhere..wet grass!
YUK!
How I know this is because I went out and took a picture or two earlier.!
I have this beautiful lily I wanted to show you; also poppies (thanks Neal!)
and larkspur..it is so pretty!
I hope you all have a great day!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Here is larkspur and poppies.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy Could I have some seeds from that pink larkspur?
Hey its after the RU and I am still asking for stuff...
sorry, but I love that pink, I have the purple.

Pauletta

Columbus, OH

So...the general contractor for my kitchen renovation just left. He's knocking out 2 small walls. I'm scared. LOL

It'll be fantastic when it's done, but huge destruction is very scary.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ask to help! Taking a sledge hammer to a wall is so much fun!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Celene....

No gloves now. I had just run in to look up the iris that I think came from you, Candy. Lt. Chavagnac or something like that. Bonita, the iris guru to me would like to know if you have any history on that iris. I tried to find it on the web, and I did finally find a picture, (it's purple) but all the info was in French....alas, I'm Greek. (It's all Greek to me.....) anyway, that's why I had my gloves on, I wanted to be sure that I planted it in the right place. Wasn't sure if it was dwarf or not. Glad you're feeling some better, Candy. Ric said he talked to you for an hour....why didn't you say, hang up....I'm sick?

Ric...I want one of everything in your picture...even the blue bowling ball.....^_^

Bonnie, I'd like some of the seeds from all those....love pink, and purple, too!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Most of the plants are from you anyway!

Candy was imparting Dahlia wisdom and did say when she needed to hang up...LOL!

Ric

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

I am still here...not sure if yall remember me or not....

but I have been busy....I was inspired by caladiums to paint my front door yellow.

Just stopping in to say hello...most of you are so helpful without even knowing it.

More photos...

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeNheather.family/FrontPorchYellowDoor#

Thumbnail by Henygirl
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Henygirl-good to see you again. Beautiful door on a great house. Loved your pictures! Lou

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

It's funny...if I have a question I come here and lurk and then call my meemaw. :)

Do yall know if there is a square foot gardening forum or where I might post my successes there and ask my questions? This place is huge...I sometimes feel lost.

Jayce, it is Marcy that has the larkspur, the pink and lavendar.

Yes, Henniegirl, I think there is something similar, maybe Earthbox gardening. Go to communities and look. You could probably find some forum to discuss the square foot gardening. I would like to know whay you think of it.

We have acres, so have the space, but I am trying to convince DH to try trellises for some peas, beans, cucumbers, squash, those things that like to take over all the space.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Joyce,

Lt. Chavagnac is a SDB. I got it from a general store years ago so it was probably one of those rhizome in a plastic bag deals. I will post a picture of it below. The color is blue, just about identical to the TBI Sapphire Hills that I sent to the RU (I don't remember if I gave you any of that while you were here). Of course, coming from a general store in a plastic bag it may not be Lt. Chavagnac at all!

You can see the color of Sapphire Hills in this photograph: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7871106

Here's a blurry picture of the Lt. - the color is pretty accurate.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

defoecat, this is my second year trying it out. I really like it. Last year was my first try at vegetable gardening, beyond tomatoes. I don't really have the space to plant rows and the back of my living area decks over the back yard...so I needed something pleasing to the eye.

I dream of having a real true potager garden using the square foot box theory...but it will take time and money...as all of this seems. :)

Below is the picture of one set of outer boxes...and I will follow with the inner set next post.

I had earth worms in the soil mix so I must have mixed it right.

Thumbnail by Henygirl
Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Here is one of the inner boxes...they are laid out in a line.

It is young, I was late planting this year.

The beans run along the fence corners and the peas run up the obelisks in the other picture.

Thumbnail by Henygirl
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Bonnie, sorry, you're right! Oh Marcy.......... :O)

i will need some instructions on what to do with my dahlias ? do i just pot them up .
Ric and what do i do with a EE. ? i got it in a pot but do i need to do anything else wiht it
i still got more to plant from the RU.
i have been rearanging my host a bed today. Planted my ferns.
I thought i killed my 20 JPFerns. Well i stuck the tray under our stair way on the front of the house. Forgot all about them. Guess what is full in plumage and looking awesome ! 20 JP ferns ack. can't stand it. Love it.

Bonnie i spend a lot of time straightening my hair too.
here is what i was doing today
hosta garden

Thumbnail by

this is where i rearranged some things
Marcy the ferns are doing great . The big ones are from last year. you gave me. :) love them
the white stuff is DE. trying to get rid of slugs. ?

Thumbnail by

this is my fav hosta in the garden so far. don't know what it is but i like it. Its huge !

Thumbnail by

baby bunting in bloom , its so cute !

Thumbnail by
Columbus, OH

I am just gaining an appreciation of hostas...I'd only seem the big blue ones, the yellow striped, and the white striped till Baker's Acres. Now I use them in pots to fill in perennial borders, etc.

Straighten hair? What does that mean? LOL My hair couldn't be any straighter.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hair what does that mean?

Good evening. I got quite a bit accomplished today. I put DGD to painting a huge cross and flame that goes on the front of our church while I dug and moved stuff. I weeded 2 beds, and moved about 5 plants. Did a little work in the Daylilies, and then gave some baskets a drink of water. They are not outside, but on a covered front porch, and I almost forget that they need to be watered, vs the ones that are out where they get the rain.

After I got good and sweaty, got in the pool and vacuumed. Boy do I appreciate that pool, especially in weather like this.

Celene, you are in style with the straight hair. Here, and I know the trends are regional, straight hair is in style with the high school girls. DGD has beautiful naturally wavy and curly hair, but she straightens it with a hair straightening device. Looks about like a curling iron, only it has two flat paddle looking things which presses the curls out.

Oh, Marcy, if the line isn't too long, I need some of those larkspur and the poppy seed too. They are just gorgeous together.

Henygirl, I have never tried that small scale gardening, as I have always had plenty of space. But I am trying to get DH to try the trellises, and fences for the climbing things. It just makes sense to me to get the vining sprawling things to grow up instead of out.

Well, I am tired and heading to bed earlier tonight. I probably will have to take DGD to her half sister's house sometime tomorrow, so that she can ride home with her for the weekend.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL..here I thought I had a new name!! I will try and save seed for you all. I know there will be plenty of poppy seed...hopefully, there will be on the larkspur too. This is the first year I have had so much pink. I really watched it last year and sprinkled it around. I just throw it down right after it goes to seed and dries on the stalk.
Celene...I have straight hair too...but I'm too old to wear it that way. Oh..by the way...Dave keeps asking me if you have given me that recipe for the potato salad yet! Pretty please????
Well..been outside all day...planting...mulching..weeding. Can't wait for Sunday when the boys come....and they can help Dave move my fountain. I am so anxious to plant around it...LOL!
Sue...your ferns are lookin' good. They get better each year.
Henygirl...I have little garden beds like that too! I really like them. They are easy to keep weeded and they give a good yield too!
Well..think I am headed to bed soon. I hear it calling my name!

guess who kid has lice ....... and was using my brush this week. .......

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We've been moving, rearranging and repotting most of the yard it seems.
We've made many changes in the hardscape here.
Our light conditions have really changed a lot w/ the trees downed over the years.
And we've changed design focus so it was time.

George mentioned the 'rooms' we've created and now we are defining them.
In some cases very severely but mostly by plant design.
That's the fun part of gardening to me.
You basically have to think in 4 dimensions. W x D x H x Time.
And our Garden has many Islands like Joyce's so you have to think of the view from 360°.
So you are constantly walking around and viewing from different angles.
Just when you think you have it..... lol!

Had the Flamingo Garden about done....
and junkers called about a fridge we'd had in the Garage forever and now sits between the Garage and House....
It's going tomorrow.... but it has to go thru the back gate...
so we'll be moving all those pots.... AGAIN!
But the good news is we can move that Honking big Rubbermaid Shed out of the Flamingo Garden.
It should absolutely change the look in there.... plus free up a 3' x 6' space!

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue
I heard that if you use tea tree oil in your shampoo
that it will help to keep from getting lice.
My daughter uses it on my granddaughter. I think it helps.
This might help.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2188304_treat-lice-tea-tree-oil.html

Pauletta

thanks Pauletta
i have been reading on DE for using on lice.
But i think i will go with the shampoo , the retreat with DE. IT just gets in your nose and can be a PITA .
first stop walmart tomorrow !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.