ORVG Coffee House #178 After the RU!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103303/

Well it was raining when we started.... sweltering by the time it was over.
86° (Heat Index 97°)

This message was edited Jun 12, 2010 7:10 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Columbus, OH

But so good seeing everyone!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Dave took some pictures at the RU and of Cookies beautiful gardens and pond. You can view them here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/louelmore3546/2010RUAndJoycetSGardens#

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

It was a great RU even with the deluge of rain all morning. It seemed like more plants were traded and more desserts were eaten than in previous years. But that perspective may be because I came home with so many wonderful plants from wonderful people .
And I definitely ate more desserts than in previous years.LOL All the food was very good. Thanks to all who put this together. I am tired tonight, but tomorow will be a day of happy planting. Lou

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

We made it home ok.
Got the truck unloaded.
Joyce does have beautiful flower gardens.
Even though Lil D my grandson was stepping on her plants

We had a really good time, just wish we didn't
take so long to get there, but wasn't anyones fault.

Pauletta

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I was so glad to have you visit the kingdom!! :o)

Thanks for posting the pictures, Dave. I had no idea that you had even taken any!

I had a wonderful time too, and it's always so much fun to get to pick glass from Rebecca!

Nice to put a face with Annie's name, and meet Rob and the husbands I hadn't met before.

Food was glorious as always, and I came home with two, count them two bags of cookies!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

TWO bags Joyce????? Wow....lucky you!!! :))
Celene, I really didn't have a recipe for the beans...but will tell you how I made them. First....you HAVE to use Bush's beans...lol. I used the country style, two large cans...plus a can of pinto beans. Drain all the beans. Mix together. I add...to taste...mustard, ketchup, sorghum, brown sugar, and a few drops of liquid smoke. (that's optional) Then I halve a whole onion, and lay it in the beans, and two slices of bacon on top. Oh...and I added some green pepper, chopped. I put it all in the crockpot and let it cook all night. If doing in the oven, 1 hr or 1 1/2 hrs. will do it. That's it!
You can also use, Karo syrup in place of the sorghum..but will have a different taste. Glad you enjoyed them!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Have to say, I thought I was on the food thread...lol. Does that tell you I am tired?????
We really enjoyed seeing everyone, and exchanging plants! It was a fun day despite the rain! And all that rain we were in coming down there, and after we got there...we only got less than a 1/4 inch here at home! But we just had a really bad thunderstorm...so it made up for it!
Great food, great company= great time!! Thanks everyone!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It was indeed a Great Time.
Food was Fantastic as always!
Sorry we missed getting a group shot.....errrrr!
Rain Gauge read 2.5" here at the house.

Jon said to say Thanks!!!!! To all who sent him DL's!
He'll be planting tomorrow.
We'll get a few in but have to be back up by Joyce's tomorrow afternoon for a baby shower.
So it will be Monday before we hit serious dirt.

Off to edit photos.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Just wanted to say, even though the rain/accidents delayed our arrival, enjoyed talking to everybody. The ride home was dry and uneventful (thank heavens), and took half the time as it did coming up. It was good to meet Celene, Annie and Rob, and to see all of the ones that have been regulars at the Round Ups.

Wish I had had more room to eat more, because everything I had was delicious.

As always, I surely enjoyed getting the glass from Pat (Thanks) so I will have another piece to go in my glass cabinet.

Joyce wish I could have come seen the gardens in person, but I knew we were planning on going to the hospital tonight to visit DH's great nephew that was in the accident, so couldn't do that and be home in time to go again.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We're currently getting pounded by wind.
Some rain but the winds are incredible.
88° to 72° in 5 minutes!
Just barely got back from Jon's when it hit.

Columbus, OH

I loved meeting Candy, and I'm so sad that she didn't get to come. Her gardens and plants are beeeautiful.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

(Pssst, Bonnie...It's Rebecca with the glass....)

I agree...wonderful everything. I'm sorry you missed the garden, too, Bonnie, cause it's totally different in June than it is in September! Bertie said to say "you're so thoughtful" about sending along the celosia.

I'll be out planting in a bit. I walked the garden last night and placed everything...I'm only thinking of one change since then....so that's half the battle. Want to say thanks again to all of you who brought me such wonderful containers. :o) Pauletta, thanks for goodies, too!

While you're editing those pictures, Ric....could you take say 10 pounds off me???????? ^_^

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Good Morning... Looks like I missed a good party. :(

I didn't miss your rain, though. The heavens opened up with a ferocity last night. I left my screen door open about 6-8" because one cat was still out 'hunting'... The storm was over and the power back on when I awakened at 11:30 to go to the bathroom... and huddled between the bathtub and the sink cabinet was a trembling, soaking wet golden retriever! I have no idea how that dog found a way inside and a hidey-hole in the pitch dark, unfamiliar house.

It took half an hour to dry it off, and coax it outside to the covered front porch. Had a collar but no tag, and not a dog I have seen in the neighborhood. It was gone when I got up at 7. I had a golden years ago, named Galax... she did the same thing in a fierce storm. I'm just glad this one didn't decide to crawl under the covers with me!

Back to my boring life... can't do anything outside with all the rain, and more on the way. (I did clean and somewhat organize my pantry room, which had become Fibber McGee's closet in a big way!)

Columbus, OH

Darius, sometimes dogs have panic attacks so severe that they burst out of their homes or yards, and will go anywhere. We will see dogs crash through windows because of this.

(Zone 5b)

The RU, W O W !!!! Ya'll are some serious chef's AND gardners, with a wicked sense of humor! It was sooo nice to put faces with names. I'm amazed at how generous everyone was with their beautiful plants. I feel pressure not to kill any of the plants given to me, my thumb is not any shade of green LOL.

I have Synda's plants here... thinking of a way to hold them for randsome ha!!

I'm still in shock, and completely amazed at how wonderful you all are!!! Wish Julie could have come too. Joyce I SOOO wanted to come see your gardens!! My DH is out of town on his fishing trip, I had to get back to take care of my animals. Your garden is on my wish list!

Thanks everyone for a great day and a warm welcome!

I'll be outside planting after I get back this afternoon. Rebecca, thank you, the glass is beautiful and my piece is staying IN the house!

Annie

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I had the best fun placing my glass. You know it may get moved two or three times before you find just the perfect place for it, but it's so fun doing it!!

boy did we have a storm last night !!
wicked thunder and lightening and lots and los of rain !! all night long.
lost internet last night too
Geo chicken is sitting on 9 eggs but 3-4 are on the side lines ? still ok ?
today we are going to TSC and get an incubator to hatch the rest of the eggs .
So fun at the RU and once again i had a great time !!!! and wow on the food. The meatballs are a treat for me.
so i m on my way our
stay dry everyone
!!!

Philo, OH(Zone 6a)

We had a great time! Ate way too much of course but I figure I'll work some of it off digging holes. Very bad thunderstorm here last night but so far I don't see any trees I have to saw up. I know better than saying the th word but I am full off appreciation for everything recently received. (how was that for slick talking!) Joyce your gardens are loevly!

Rebecca (and of course Dan)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

DAN! Dang, couldn't remember his name. He's a cutie-pie. Thanks for the compliment Rebecca, it's a labor of love. Now tell me about these rocks you have.....

We got an inch of rain yesterday morning and during the RU, then another 1 1/2 inches in the night. Should be good to go on watering for a while!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue next time I make up the Keftedes I'll double the batch and freeze some for you.
They do VERY well thawed and reheated.
In fact probably are even better.
I use them for meatball sandwiches.....
or open face and smothered in Parmesan

Saw where you were getting that storm.

I'm heading out w/ the laptop to add the new plants to the database.
THANKS so much everyone!
Many of the 'extras' will end up at Jon's.
We have FAR too many Dahlias for our yard, as Candy gifted me twice, so we're starting a bed over there too.

Darius we had that happen w/ a Beagle.
Just appeared out of nowhere during a storm.
Next day we locked it in the sewing room, put signs out and went to work.
Came home and it was gone. Screen was popped out.
A few hours later the owners, Beagle on leash stopped by.
They had seen the signs, stopped by earlier and called the dog.
It went crazy and came thru the screen.
They offered a reward and to replace the screen.
No damage so.... we refused.
They lived over a half miles away.

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

We got an inch of rain last night!
And we actually turned on the air...woohoo! Made for GOOD sleeping!!
It may stay on all week, from the sounds of the weather liars!
Celene, I hope you saw how I made the beans, since I was on the wrong thread??? Ohhh...and I would like your recipe for the potato salad too! It was wonderful! But then....everything was wonderful!
I guess we are going up to Staples today, to see about getting paper and info on how to print up invitations to our party. I really need to get them in the mail...and I can't find anything in the stores that are even reasonable!!
I'm sure they can be printed on my computer! Just hope I can do it...lol!
Bonnie, I want that squash recipe too please! I planted yellow squash this year, and that tasted great!
Well..off to eat lunch, and get moving here!!
Glad to see everyone made it home ok...hmmmm...Geo hasn't checked in yet??

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I know for a fact that he's okay, cause I called Sue with a question, and she was talking to HIM! :o)

Columbus, OH

I did, thank you Marcy. I could tell they had bacon, but the texture of the beans was so good--not mushy like most baked beans. I'll fake it without the bacon. LOL I love sorghum, I was glad to see that as an ingredient.

I'll post the potato salad recipe--in the food thread? Somewhere else??

I am so sorry to misspeak, when I thanked Pat for the Glass, when I knew all along it is Rebecca who does the beautiful glass. My apologies, Rebecca.

I am tired today, I think it is a combination of the drive, and being in a tense mode while fighting the hydroplaning, and just the tenseness of being vigilent. It was a mess.

However, again, thank you all for the wonderful food, and the good time.

Marcy, the squash recipe is so easy. I just wash and cut the ends off the squash, dice them along with some onion, and add both to boiling salted water, and let them just get a bit tender. They are so easy to overcook. Drain them, and add, a little more salt and pepper. Equal amounts of velveeta cheese and a mild cheddar. About a 1/4 cup of milk, then top with ritz crackers, and dot with butter. Put them in the oven at 350, for about 1/2 hour, or until the crackers begin to brown. It is good reheated too, but I never seem to have any leftovers.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Yummy...I bet it would be good with a combo of zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Bonnie, I was not there, or probably would know the answer to this... but what kind of squash did you use, summer or winter? Did you peel them?

Yes we are ok. what a nasty storm it was ! i would say over 3" of rain. ? just a guess . poured buckets for at least 6-9 hrs.
Geo and i were talking chickens LOL we get carried away.
so i have a new incubator and 9 of the eggs will go in it. 9 are under the chicken. I hope we get a good turn out. I m sure we will. Unless due to my first time doing an incubator hatch. ?
welp off to feed the chickens
woops i m a bit late on that

Jules, it was yellow summer squash, and they are so young and tender, there is no need to peel them. I just wash them thoroughly, cut the ends off, and dice them up. The yellow skin gives the dish, a nice sunny look.

Columbus, OH

I'll be trying that in a month or so, when I have way too many zucchini.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

:o) I'll be trying it, too...for the same reason!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Bonnie! It never hurts to have another recipe for summer squash on hand!

Columbus, OH

For me, it's the endless zucchini latkes, and lemon or chocolate zucchini cake.

I have a squash pickle recipe that is good also. Just don't have time to post it right now. Remind me later. You can use the yellow or zuchinni.

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Our drive back home was great, nice and dry
Didn't take nearly as long to get home.
We had a storm last night though
I was so tired I slept anyway

Great seeing everyone again and the new ones.
Been outside looking at my new babies/flowers
Had to dump water out of them.

LOVED Joyces flower gardens
They was so beautiful.
I especially loved her Hosta Garden

Pauletta

Columbus, OH

Defoecat, I think it is you who gave me the idea to use the kosher dill recipe with zucchini slices. They were great.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Aw, Thanks, Pauletta....

I think you may have left a couple plants here. One of grass in a glass, and the other a bag of Japanese Painted Fern...I'll plant them here for you and you can come visit them any time you like.... ;o)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Pauletta sounds like they are being held hostage!

Had a great day running w/ Joyce.
We hit a Koi Factory.... trust me this ain't a Koi Farm.
Then two different nurseries.
Scored GREAT! Two new EE's

Colocasia esculenta 'Diamond Head' a true shiny black EE.
I would have named it 'Black Patent Leather' like the Coleus.
http://www.willowaymarketing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=103244

Also a sport of Black Magic
Colocasia esculenta 'Mojito'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/189256/
Mine was listed as 'Illustris', Joyce's listed as Black Magic.
Obviously they were mismarked and we did a bandit run!

Joyce then gave a tour of her Garden to Robyn's sisters.
They were suitably impressed!

Winds just came howling thru and it's raining buckets!
Looks like Louisville will get pounded.

Ric, we have severe thunderstorm warnings that just flashed across the tv screen. It was 91 today, and the humidity dense enough that we almost needed gills to breathe. So stands to reason all that has to go somewhere.

I just thought about another squash recipe that I have that I will share with you all. It is a squash fritter, and it is really good. Just remind me to give it to you, as my mind has holes big enough to walk a dog through.

Shutting down until the storms pass through.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.