Tropical Garden #75

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Why RJ would anyone need to hide stuff from me??? like I'm capable of a midnight raid (hehehehehehe)??????? nemesis (rangoon creeper) still not blooming; why or why didn't it freeze this winter????

Yes the pink passie is pretty. lots of nice photos everyone. I'm off to water the beds at the church; then home to start watering on mine. It is another hot one here in South Texas!

Patty

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't believe my rangoon grew so fast so soon It is blooming now...

Red Oak, TX

mjsponies, I have already put the passi Nephrodes in the must have catorogy. Even the foliage is interesting!!

Phughes, I hope that you are enjoying your vacation. It might be time for you to dig up that RC and replace it wth something else.

Thumbnail by prita
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Quote from rjuddharrison :
I can't believe my rangoon grew so fast so soon It is blooming now...

go ahead and rub it in RJ; just remember I know where you live and a midnight raid at your house is not out of the question.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

uh ummm. I'm not adverse to midnight raids either, (see the chocolate basil thread) in the Herbs forum....you never know where me and my ponies will end up ...................
mj

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

here is something pink for you Patty..

Thumbnail by joeswife

love in a mist?

Thumbnail by joeswife

it likes pink too

Thumbnail by joeswife

HI MOM! I am still here!

Thumbnail by joeswife
Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks to everyone for the great pictures. Are Texas and Arizona in zone 6 or 7? I am in zone 5. All of your plants are so beautiful - maybe they feel your love so they grow better!!!

From the tropical Plant Trade.. Last Fall

Thumbnail by joeswife

Hi Mabelruth! I am in Kansas it gets cold and snow here, my plants stay inside all winter... ( The tropicals )

Thumbnail by joeswife

Big Dipper new leaf

Thumbnail by joeswife
Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I love big plants and I cannot imagine how I would move them inside come winter. In fact even the "small" ones would be impossible. But I have some that are special to me this year so I have to think of something. This is the first time in several years that I have been able to actually go out and do something in my garden. At the pace I work it will be years before the garden looks like I can "brag" about it. In fact I think my kids will have to come home again and continue the "work" after I am gone! Anyway, for now I am thrilled that I can get out there for a little while and sit in my glider and just "be".

Any Garden, one plant or many, is soothing to the soul, and worth bragging about mabelruth, so enjoy and feel welcome to share your pretties.. and.. welcome to Daves Garden Tropical Forum!
I have no clue how I am going to move stuff this year, guess I will enlist the kids, no matter how much they gripe.

Look , the squirrells left me a pear! YAY!

Thumbnail by joeswife
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I welcome a midnight raid, after I make you plant it back, we can have a glass of wine.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll hold you to that . . . glass of wine that is . . . don't know about planting it back though. I just need you to come take care of my rangoon until you get it to bloom; that would take care of the need for a midnight raid. I keep threatening to cut it down but just can't bring myself to do it. It's got to be a soil issue. Just don't have what it likes so it won't bloom.

Mable, most of us Texans are in zone 8 or zone 9 I believe.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Well here is my purple hyacinth vine I am using fishline to help it grow up.

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden
Red Oak, TX

Hi All!

Joeswife, I look forward to your pictures every morning, it is very good to see what's blooming in your back yard. The pink Monarda, Bee balm picture caught my eye with the cute planter hanging there. This is the first year that I have BeeBalm blooms. I got a start in a trade and am very proud of myself for getting it to grow.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

mableruth, welcome!! and we thank you for the nice words concerning our pictures.
I am in 8a as well, and after a few years of having to take my plants in for the winter, I decided to cover them where they were. I planted them in the ground and built a Hoop House over them, with a heater on the very cold nights. It works very well for me.

pensacolagarden, we would love to see it when it blooms!

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Red Jatropha

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

variegated rose-of-sharon

Thumbnail by prita

Wooo hooo, hit the jackpot today...other half and I were out running errands and saw "Plant Sale" at a house as we went by. Stopped and I got two Icohorma Purple Queen plants about 14 in. tall for $3.00 each, some bulbins (sp?) for $2 ea. and then while talking with the lady she told us of some folks around the corner that were having a sale! Got a Jatropa Budda Belly, Tall Flowering Maple, Red Reed Orchid, variegated Duranta, and Lemon Lime Duranta, something else I can't remember and it's raining so can't go out and look and a NOID pictured.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Rita, Patootie is not even a childhood name. Just made up on the
spur of the moment. :-)

Jackie

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I really like the Rangoon Creeper, but it seems as voracious and aggressive as wisteria. It is difficult to keep in control?

got an id on the plant above
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55915/

Red Oak, TX

mjsponies, I would say that is was a very good day!! What a Haul, I bought my first Budda Belly this year, I love the leaves.
That is another great vine to add to your collection.

patootie, that was my first GS nickname until high school, when he asked us to stop calling him by that name.

peony1066, Rj in Houston suggested that I trim my Rangoon Creeper for more blooms in the spring. It has been under control ever since, with lots of flowers.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Happy Father's Day!

Thumbnail by prita

Happy Fathers Day to all you guys that have influenced a child in Life.
Beautiful flower pics everyone. Rita the creeper you sent me is really starting to thug the South Barrell, and that is awsome.

This salmon four o clock is one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by joeswife

I have been trimming the trumpet vine to give me just a few flowering branches, and it is worth the work..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Red Oak, TX

joeswife, Those are very good pictures, I hope that one of my four-o-clocks is that salmon color. That is good news on the rangoon creeper!! I hope that you get at least a few flowers this year to experience the fragrance.
I have both of mine with a homemade trellis made from livestock panels, with re-bar to secure them. I find it much easier to trim and wheel in and out the GH.

Red Porterweed

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

This is Strophanthus preussii (poison arrow vine). It sports a profusion of dime size flowers which are adorned with long streaming tendrils. (from zone 9)
I will post a better picture when it is in full bloom.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

I wish knew the name of this Bromeliad, it is a pleasure to watch it grow and bloom!!

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

I noticed that the Lilies and crape myrtles were exceptionally beautiful this year.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

ardesia, Happy Birthday!!

Thumbnail by prita
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you, it has been a lovely day.

This is a new crape myrtle, Sweetheart Dazzle and she really is a sweetheart with tiny leaves and drapy branches.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Happy Birthday Ardesia!

Rita those cannas are very pretty.
yesterday I was able to get a photo of my i. plantesis
Ardesia that crape myrtle is also lovely.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 8:35 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

Thank you.
I am just loving these gloriosas this year.

Thumbnail by ardesia

ardesia, yours are "pink" ? ,

I have several in various colors - including the pinks. Here is another that is yellow and red, I have some that are all red.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010 7:37 AM

Thumbnail by ardesia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.