Tropical Garden #75

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

niobe is beautiful! I have never grown clems, but this is something I have always wanted to.. we will see how I do, the neighbors down the street has some that the flowers get as big as dinner plates..

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Supposedly too hot for Clematis here.
one of our "tenent's"...

Thumbnail by mjsponies

White Veined Pipevine

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Asarina erubescenes Bridal Wreath

Thumbnail by mjsponies

That is beautiful!

Here is the north end of the Pond, and those dark maroon wine fowers are wildflowers known as wine cups but is a mallow, they are vining everything in its path.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Well I am not sure if this is salmon perfection or pink perfection as it has not bloomed yet. I brought 2 of them back with me from pensacola and one of them died.

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden

it looks really good James.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks I just keep wondering which one it is...............lol

Red Oak, TX

Hello Everyone, thanks for all the very pretty, interesting pictures. I will have to go back and re-read ever post, I had to take a few days away from my gardening to get caught up on family obligations.

vossner, thanks for starting the new thread. That is a very happy picture of your Tecoa stans, mine are just now starting to show a little color. I love the African blood lily picture.
It's Crape Myrtle time.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Texasbelle, Welcome! and thanks for the nice compliment. The hanging basket is a noid begonia, the blooms are white, small and insignificent, but the foliage is very interesting.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Joeswife, the yellow variegated alocasia came from me. It came from texasbigleaves, a very good pass along plant. The picture of the variegated sea hibiscus put a great big smile on my face. I knew that you would be able to get it started, that is another from TBL garden.
I am enjoying seeing the growth process in your back garden. thanks!

mjsponies, that Bridal Wreath vine caught my attention. It is a hard plant to find. thanks

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

lovetropics, those were some very beautiful pictures, keep them coming, my Vitex is blooming as well, but the BOP is still struggling.

pensacolagarden, the brug. that you gave to me is about 3' tall and looks as nice as yours, thanks.

Thumbnail by prita
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I've already posted this in the vines forum, but here it is again
in case anyone missed it.lol

Mandevilla White Velvet

Thumbnail by patootie

prita,
The Bridal Wreath is really a wonderful plant. Hardy here, and very carefree. Didn't bloom much the first year, but "full of itself' this year !
IPatootie,
I love the White mandevilla's. Another on my want list....

Mj's, This one is a beauty. Hope I don't kill it. lol

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

welcome....

b4

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

after ( aprox 3-4 weeks)

This message was edited Jun 14, 2010 1:21 PM

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

love this!! just happened...i'm happy! now how do i make more??? LOL

Thumbnail by tobee43
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is a red canna that I recieved from a DG'r!!!

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

very cool pat...and here's the same one...after you have it in about a week with some rain...LOL!!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
Red Oak, TX

Patootie, I am glad that you showed us your new find, that one is a beauty. I did find a Mandevillea Moonlight Parfait a few years ago that I thought was the prettiest one ever, until I saw your White Velvet. A good thing about them is that even if they lose all their foliage during the winter, they quickly recover in the spring.

This is a new Perennial Hibiscus hybrid (Brady Punch)

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

tobee43, you have accomplished quite a lot in one month!! The front yard is spectacular, I am trying very hard to get mine looking half as lush as yours. I can already tell that we will be having a very dry summer here in Texas.
I share your love, and excitement for Tropicals plants. Please show a few more pictures from your yard whenever you can.

This is my favorite plant at this time. Colocasia Thai-Giant.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

pensacolagarden, the variegated pine cone ginger came up and is looking good. I can send you the start that I promised from last year. Are you in Florida or New York?

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

The black banana has grown almost 5' above the Hoop House already.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

This is a Caladium Hilo Beauty, I am very pleased to see that it made it through the winter.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Clerodendron Ugandense is starting to bloom!

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

last one

Thumbnail by prita
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Rita, I'm so glad you have a black nana. aren't they lovely? My siam ruby from Brian's Botanicals is doing great. THis is my third one and it looks like it's the charm. It's still a little bitty thing but I should have a decent pic of it in July.

Rita, I remember you recommending Thai Giant on an earlier thread. Is it bigger than Portodora? My hilo Beauty caladiums come back but they struggle.

Tobee, so impressed with your gardens.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

prita....thanks for the kind words... you also vossner!!

although new to these forums...i just moved to a 9b from a sub zone 4...where for 25 years i designed tropical gardens in northern landscapes...

although "retired" or so i thought....when we came down here and purchased this house site unseen...i was hoping after years of gardens that i would have MORE CONCRETE!! no such luck!! so here i go again!

i have been on davesgarden for years...just not these forums because now that i moved from a sub zone 4 to a 9b things are a chanin!! LOL

this one is just one of the gardens i designed for the entrance (one side), when i designed and was director of the nj flower and garden expo...the beauty of the show was really in the inside of the greenhouse!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

here's a sub zone 4 tropical garden.....NOT fully in bloom...yikes here we go again...my pic from a thread on daves that will not enlarge...grrrrrrhhh.. but really they are protecting me i guess!!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2010 11:10 PM

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/downers.html

here's some pics of my gardens that glasshouseworks deplayed...if you like these types of gardens...i didn't transfer any of my own pics...LOL so i have to get them off of other sites....now that's sad!!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2010 11:14 PM

wow, that is incredible! I love your new place, tobee.. Jackie that white is so pretty.
Rita, my one and only cleo is at Bonnies house. She got it to bloom like crazy last year. I wish I had a piece of it now. I almost bought one on ebay, but decided to wait.

I had to move the windmill, it was beating kaityln brug to death when it ran, which is almost always here, in the past three weeks we have had over 8 inches of rain.

Thumbnail by joeswife

this is the southeast side of the patio..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Thanks Rita and Debra.
Rita, love all your beautiful plants. Very impressive collection.

Jackie

diantheria nodesa

Thumbnail by mjsponies
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks debra! looks like your garden is progressing quite well!! looks GREAT!

my concept is just to plant so much and smash em in that you don't have to weed! LOL

here's a close up from this morning

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

looking from the outside in...i posted this on another forum as well...i'm sure it's boring everyone...it's just i cannot get over the rapid grown...!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

prita...i picked this ginger up at a local plant sale...it's a Costus Amazonicus which i had posted for id..but found it....i LOVE it! it's absolutely beautiful..is it the same as what you have pictured above???

Thumbnail by tobee43

ohhh, tobee43 I like the foliage !

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks so much mjs trying my BEST to get some shade without trees...LOL!!!!.....deland..we ALMOST brought r house there!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.