Tropical Garden #75

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Happy Birth Week Ardesia.

how do you care for your gloriosas in winter. any special care?

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

oh those are beautiful, I have four coming up.. do they need something to climb on?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

love those gloriosa's! I have all orange and all yellow ones.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I don't do anything except throw some mulch over them. I don't dig them up, just let be.
I must find that pink one. It would look great climbing the fence behind my pink and yellow knockout roses.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010 12:34 PM

Red Oak, TX

Hi All!!

joeswife, I got my MG names mixed up when my tray of seeds fell over. I do hope that I have one that color. You will definately have to get a trellis for your Gloriosa's.

ardesia, I love that crape myrtle. It seems as if it would do well in a hanging basket, if it stays that size.

Anyone with a nice Tropical picture is welcome to start a new thread.
Canna Cleopatra

Thumbnail by prita
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

My asian jasmine is blooming like crazy. Here is one that my mother bought for me last year. The flower is big, like a mini mum. Check out the size comparison.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

whoa! nicole LOL makes my sambuc look anemic!

Thumbnail by joeswife

Rita, when they start blooming just post them and I will tell ya what they are.. no big deal, mine are mixed up too.. Love that canna, I replanted the red one from you so it is starting over... tropicanna is forming a bud, but it isn't in the ground yet since I hurt myself I can't dig or lift or well, Garden..
south fence middle part.. those are two of my monardas there and a white chaters holly hock from last year..
edited for spelling

This message was edited Jun 22, 2010 10:02 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

north fence across from previous post.. more monardas

Thumbnail by joeswife

my favorite brug flower right now..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Well i know this is an odd question but it almost time for me to rejoin does anyone know how I can change my name and information?

James

you might try under the "my info" tab at the top of your home page and click on the links there, James.. that might give you some direction.

Debra, it's jasmine on steroid. LOL! I love Monarda. They do multiply though. I want some hot pink ones and some purple ones... :)

I see them (monardas) here at the nurseries but I've never seen them in anybody's gardens. they're gr8 for butterflies, right?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have some monardas that are looking good this year and finally getting ready to bloom but I have had them for years and they did nothing but spread around. I have a local friend who has fabulous ones - go figure.

This is a new lotus for me, 'Thousand Petals', not sure if I like the look or not. Most of them have such perfect flowers and this one looks a bit raggy to me.

Thumbnail by ardesia

I like it! I've never seen one so "ruffledly"

both my Monarda Jacobe Cline and Raspberry wine have been blooming for about 3 weeks now. BF's and Hummer's love them. We just mow them over if they get out of bounds....

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Well I think it is in to small a pot or maybe it would of bloomed but not a chance. It is margies delight x rubiline x rubiline x peanut#2. HYB Patricia Watson. I think I will plant it into a bigger pot.

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden

All our monarda's are in the ground they get pretty tall too ! I'll try to get a picture later.

my monardas are over 5ft tall.

so are mine, I have 6 different ones, the light purple ones are the last to bloom, the Jacobs Cline and Marshalls delight are always at a tie, Garden View Scarlet and Raspberry wine come on next, and my new chocolate is due anytime to bloom. I will be offering bare roots of all of them this fall. Pink Surpreme grew where ever I put a piece of her last fall.
James, I can't wait to see your cross! I just love Brugmansias, don't you?

Thumbnail by joeswife

Vossner, I sure wish I had that tecoma sans, I planted some seeds but have not seen any come up yet. A few years ago I found that at walmart and didn't know it wasn't winter hardy here, I thought it was a trumpet vine.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Ardesia, How did you get that crape myrtle to shrub out like that? I also haveplanted tons of seeds that people have sent me, and so far no babys yet, but then I have no idea what they look like as seedlings, so my beds may be full of them..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I have planted 6 lotus seeds. I have been waiting three months. Nothing. *sigh*

Here is that queen Annes Lace, these seeds came from one of my country wild flower jaunts.. I sent some of these out in my seed bag mix.. hope someone else got some, I almost pulled it out..( It looked like a weed at first)

Thumbnail by joeswife

The whites are my favorite in this area..

Thumbnail by joeswife

One more, this one is for Rita.. I can't remember its name tho..
it has been in the high 90s almost 100 heat index 107 to 110 here this week, so I have put out handfuls of pea gravel on top of everything to hold in the moisture.. I need more, but can't lift now so have to wait until son gets back to town.. does anyone else do this? ( Use pea gravel for moisture control) The EEs seem to like it.
Also, Rachel, the begonia you sent me is so full and fluffly, but it is under the tall stuff on the patio, and have to bring it out this weekend to take a pic of it.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife
noonamah, Australia

Debra, lotus seed needs to be "knicked" before planting. Otherwise you might be waiting up to 2000 years for them to germinate. I think by that time we'll be growing plants in a much different way, LOL.

Not a lotus but a waterlily I happened to photograph today. Same colour as our native lotus here.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Debra, the crape myrtle above is a weeping, dwarf cultivar. In this photo the plant on the left, Berry Dazzle is also a dwarf but with more traditional CM foliage and growth habit. Sweetheart Dazzle, on the right, has a very different shape and the leaves are much smaller and closer together. Both of these are fairly new introductions and both will stay small in the 2' - 3' range in the ground or even smaller in a container. I can also add that they are very hardy as they spent the winter in 4" pots out in the open during the very cold weather we had this year. The Berry has already bloomed once and I just deadheaded it in hopes of getting more flowers. Their small size makes them perfect for firring into a perennial border.

http://www.gardenersconfidence.com/Razzle_Dazzle/Razzle_Dazzle.aspx

edited to add that those are 1 gallon sized pots these babies are in.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2010 7:51 AM

Thumbnail by ardesia

I wonder how well those dwarf CMs would do in hanging baskets. The light pink one is just beautiful.

tropic, I did kinda soak and scarify them so hope they sprout before I am in a walker LOL
ardesia, thank you for the information, I would love to find the weeping kind. Especially if they can stay in their pots thru winter..
it is hard to believe this balsum was just a tiny sprout in my window sill..it is huge now!

Thumbnail by joeswife

We have a new thread. Go here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1110728/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.