Tropical Garden #75

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Let's keep chatting here. Nothing terribly interesting in Richmond, but we love pics anyway, right?

For 3 yrs I tried to grow Tecoma stans as a standard, but it just didn't wanna. So this year I trimmed it to the soil line and am letting it be a large shurb. It's telling me it's much happier that way.

Thumbnail by vossner

My fave hardy hibby, Blue River II. Flowers are enormous

Thumbnail by vossner

Eucomis clump. Now here is an easy plant. Planted rhizome in part shade, harsh afternoon sun and let it fend for itself. Should be blooming soon. I would characterize it as a fast grower.

Thumbnail by vossner

noid red glad.

Thumbnail by vossner

my scadoxus, slowly but surely it is becoming a clump.

Thumbnail by vossner

every winter when I have to drag my potted plummies I solemnly swear NO MORE. But who could resist a dwarf orange plumie, who could? My baby arrived yesterday from Florida Colors.

Thumbnail by vossner

Finally, a pot of caladiums, a peachy impatiens and a orangey-reddish begonia.

Thumbnail by vossner
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Voss, I'm trying the Tecoma stans as a standard this year, just got a small plant in a trade with the lady at the local hardware store. it's got two stalks, so was going to try twinning them around each other.

If your winters are milder than mine, you'll probably be successful. I did OK for two years but when it got too cold for comfort, my tecoma died to the ground, which meant starting all over again.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

tabernaemontana--single

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

crinum--getting ready to bloom for the first time. very excited. it is several years old.

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

jasmine--mysore mulli--very fragrant

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

yellow jasmine--no fragrance

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

giant turk's cap

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

dwarf pomegranite

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

peach--thevetia

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

duranta

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

vitex --very fragrant

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

trumpet vine

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

yellow thevetia--love fragrance

Thumbnail by lovetropics

I got thevetia from Benny 2 yrs ago but it didn't survive this past winter. I would really like to grow one into a standard but I don't know if my weather will allow that.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

morning glory--blue dawn climbed all the way up paloverde tree

Thumbnail by lovetropics

do you have the cream one too? you are so lucky

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

rockrose--pavonia

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

did you mean white vossner?

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

vossner--mine were huge shrubs until we had BF a few years ago. They all went down to the ground but did not die though. Came back and it took them 3 years to reach the same size. If you want me to make you feel better---they are messy since they bloom perfusely. Does it help you?

yes, white. I'm thinking vanilla ice cream white, or old, used to be white, socks, lol

now you're just teasing! lol

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

red-BOP

Thumbnail by lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

vossner--you all can grow plants that I can't grow because of lack of humidity. I have been admiring all of your posts. I need to take time to appreciate the plants that grow well here in AZ :)

Voss, well we do get some hard freezes here some years. I guess it will be a "lets see what this winter brings' thing. many years no freeze, but the last two, very hard freezes. oh well, if it doesn't work I'll let it be a shrub.
mj

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

wow I love all your plants AZ, really I do. I have a baby BOP growing, can't wait to see what it does. Is it the same as pride of barados? I never heard of thevetia, i LIKE IT ALOT..

Front Porch tropical garden North side

Thumbnail by joeswife

All these plants were from DGrs' this is my front porch wall ledge tropical garden LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

vossner, I had a tecoma sans one summer and it did well all year, I had no clue it would die in the winter, thought it was as hardy as our trumpet vine, wish I had known, I would still have it, prolly..

front north end corner of porch garden.. I use what ever space I can drives DH crazy until it blooms..then he is all about them..

Thumbnail by joeswife

south east porch corner garden.. I love my prenniels here..

Thumbnail by joeswife

my new clematis had a bloom today, I thought it was done, it is still in the tub It came in, I moved it to the southeast front fence under the mimosa and honeysuckle canopy.. just until fall that is..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I wish I could grow the Clematis here. I've looked but can't find one that likes the weather......
but my Butterfly Orchid Vine does !

Thumbnail by mjsponies

most clems are supposed to be hardy to zon9b, so you should be able to grow them successfully in your area. I am not big on vines of any kind, except clems and a few cl roses. Visit Donanues or Silver star Vinery b/c their site has gr8 info. The clem forum is also a very good resource.

In my area, you usually see them at HD/lowes around mother's day; however, there were none this year. I'd think they'd be gone in FL also unless a good nursery that knows how to care for them has some they've been babying.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I am surprised to hear that clematis does do well in 9a. My mom grows them in St.Louis MO with no problem. They are cold hardy.
Hi Joeswife, if you are good with seeds, I can save some tecoma stans seeds for you.

the way I've been able to grow them is by mulching the base heavily and watering, being careful not to overwater. I stick mostly w/ group 3 clems, which are ones you prune heavily each season. they get multi-branched that way. I have some in full TX sun and some in shade. They can takeTX sun fine, but some cultivars do fade. A good website will usually say, "fades in full sun" so I look for that or I ask the nursery.

I do want to be on record as a vine hater, but I'm talking about growing clems b/c if, as a vine hater, I can grow them, then they must be easier than you think. Not all clems are hardy to zone9, but the good nurseries like Donahues, Silver Star Vinery are good and truthful about saying which are and aren't.

I think this is Niobe

Thumbnail by vossner

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.