DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 76

Kissimmee, FL

Lily that is what caught my eye was the movement. I have never been that close to one to appreciate what it was doing with it's wings. I patrol the bamboo in the evening looking for roosting butterflies. I am also proud to say that two of my missing spicebush cats showed up this morning all grown up! I was very upset that they didn't call but any way they are home. (Teenagers) I will post some pics later.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL,LOL, VR. Teenagers that were! Congrats on their return. Even they didn't take time to make the call. lol. While I was out yesterday, I saw a Yellow Swallowtail, a RSP, an American Lady and perhaps a Common Buckeye in our area. I was delighted-- too excited that I forgot I DID have the camera with me, but forgot to use it. lol.

Kissimmee, FL

Here are the twins!

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

here is Hector.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

here is Mona.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

Tiger showed up and played for a while.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

many visitors today.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

I think this is a silver spotted.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

and Gray came out also.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Mrs. Ed, am so impressed with your regal frit!! Congratulations! Very very rare around here! Must have been a fun day monitoring! (and your aphrodite, too, btw)

And nanny, how do you get so much business on your fruit tray I wonder? I have orange slices and jelly out and never get any interest in them (except from the raccoons.)

Love all your shots, too, Viceroy! Florida must be a wodnerful haven for butterflies.

We've had a lot of Great Spangled Frits and variegated frits this week in the garden. Still keeping a sharp eye out for a regal frit (or gulf frit), but I don't think we have many bird-footed violets around~~ Also a giant swallowtail, some tiger swallowtails, sulphurs, etc. have come by for a swig of nectar. The garden is beginning to really get busy so I'm excited about that!

I've enjoyed lurking here and hearing about all your successes! t.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

thanks Tabasco. I feel lucky for sure since Regal Fritillaries are endangered. The Birds Foot violet only survives in a quality prairie, from what I've read. And of course, Nachusa Grasslands is indeed a quality prairie. I can't wait to see what others i might find that i've never seen before.

The Red Admirals are still going strong in my yard this year.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Occasionally a Question Mark stops by… (I also had a comma today but no pic).

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Love how fuzzy they look.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Melons were on sale! LOL

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

A Horace Duskywing, the first one this year.

Thumbnail by DATURA12

ooo, nice!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice shots this morning ladies!

Still having an abundance of those adorable red admirals.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I wished I'd see more butterflies here. An occassional hairstreak here and there. Last evening while giving my tropical plants some much needed water. I spotted a Question Mark (?) roosting within one of the shrubs that was disturbed by the watering wand. Yesterday I was chasing after a yellow TST then I wound up with some nice shots of the hummers instead. Ahhh, such as life. Can't have them all! Lovely RA Mrs_Ed.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I put some melon out last week and had no takers..not even a raccoon!

Very nice Mrs. Ed!

A Monarch down at the beach!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was transporting som cats to Datura12 and saw my first Painted Lady of the season, a Tiger, GST, and I think a Silvery Checkerspot in her garden. Loved her windowed room to sit and enjoy her garden from the TX heat. I forgot my camera of all things.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

QUESTION MARK on the jelly...used the falsh to get the mark to show up since it was in heavy shade.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2010 1:48 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Kissimmee, FL

Thanks Tabasco, Florida holds up ok with the butterflies. It's always nice to share with those who appreciate them.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Black Swallowtail in flight.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

BST

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

another pic

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Zebra Swallowtail

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Red Admiral

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Great Spangled Fritillary

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Great Spangled Frit. & Red Adm.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Bentonia, MS

ok my pictures do not compare to these here but i have just gotten a new camera and i can now take pictures of butterflies and humming birds that look ok. i don't know what any of the butterflies are though.

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

this one and the next are the same butterfly

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

this is the same as above but open

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

nice pics, must be a nice camera with a good operator

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

TLC, nice job! Welcome to our thread, and thank you for pretty pictures. jmorth, lovely photos of the butterflies in the garden. Love those Coneflowers too. Amazing my are blooming here too down South.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

TLC....Good job, glad you are joining us. Your first is a sulphur but not positive which one. The second I am pretty sure is a hackberry emperor.
Look on this site and see if you agree. Click the family (sulphur or bushfoot)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabambc/frames-0species.asp

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hummingbird Moth

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

HBM

Thumbnail by jmorth
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Everyone has such wonderful pictures. I wish my camera could take close ups like everyone's here. I see a lot of pics of butterflies on Purple Coneflower. I may have to try and grow that again. I didn't have much luck with it but maybe a different location will be better for it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.