What's happening in your neck of the woods..with friends!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thought I'd best move us over...

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1087719/

Everyone enjoyed themselves..tired when they left...now another trip is needed once their projects have cured to pick up their works of art..

This message was edited May 16, 2010 8:46 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

The day was too perfect NOT to relax...some did relaxing better than others..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" that is just too adorable..a baby shower....we tend to take time to get together for a specific reason don't we rather than just to visit with friends...let them throw you the shower, gifts and all..hope you are able to relax a bit more this week coming!!!

Hard to believe that we could get frost tonight, better cover my newbie plants then off to bed..tired/tired but thrilled that once again the workshop went so well..always worry until they are over..worry wart I am!

Night night

Thought I'd close with a photo of my Missy, who saw a bird entering into this 8' tall birdhouse..what a commotion, poor birdie was so very upset...we were watching Missy watch the bird and omg, within a second there she was up on top of birdhouse just waiting the bird..bird was in the tree watching just waiting for Missy to get tired of watching..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Looks like you had a busy weekend Betty!
It has been a lovely week here and I've been out in the yard most of the time getting things planted and shifted and split- cant work out there all day the way I used to but lovely to get my hands in the dirt. Still a bit early to put in annuals although I do have some geraniums and petunias and pansies out in pots.
Still have not decided what I will put in the pots for the front steps - guess I will wait until I start touring the garden centers this week and hope for inspiration. One thought was simply to fill them with pansies! Have not used pansies for years.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good morning.

Absolutely glorious day here in Ottawa. I hope it's lovely where you are.

Today is the day of my last official concert with the Ottawa Symphony. I'm retiring after 40 seasons (though I'm hoping to find a way back for just ONE concert next year which has a work I REALLY want to play).

Tonight's concert is with the Ottawa Choral Society and the major work is Prokofiev's, Alexander Nevsky which is a wonderful work. Third time I've played it; so not too difficult. We're also doing an obscure work by a Russian composer, Shchedrin - Naughty Limericks. Quite a fun piece, actually. A bit jazzy and funny.

Last night I was given this lovely bouquet of flowers marking retirement. And we'll have a party after the concert at a friend's house.

Have a great day.
Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Carol .. I am totally doing Pansies this year .. best bang for your buck .. flats here are going for between $25./27. this year .. so .. am on the lookout for SALES ..

Betty .. seems the craft class was a success .. glad all went well.
Missy is such a pusser .. doing what comes naturally I guess. Smokey 'gifted' Lorna's Mom with a Mole last evening .. he was SO proud .. ewewewewe !!!!!!!!!
Heading into the final week of the visit. This week will be different as Lorna has an appt of some sort M-T-W .. so ..break my heart, eating OUT is going to be a happening thing !!

Was speaking to one of the 'puppy shower' friends last evening .. if it takes place at all it will be a delayed get together as several of the 'group' are unavailable due to summer travels, plus, the School of Nursing at our University here has asked me to mentor 2 students again this summer .. last summer it was one and that was good enough. The time outlay isn't too bad, but, with me it's the emotional toll. These are 3rd year nursing students who are struggling, so, their stress level is high. Have found in years past that these students have fabulous bed side skills, but are so NOT into the book part of nursing. Have another couple of weeks to decide ..

More putzing around the yard to do today .. never ends ^_^

Thanks for the move Betty.

Enjoy your week everyone

~M~

CONGRATS Ann ... beautiful boquet. ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ann, didn't realize you have been doing it that long, your emotions must be going wild..always nice to be retired but at same time giving up what you enjoy is difficult for sure...love the bouquet...have fun at the get together...

"M" I never buy annuals but the other day when I was doing the topsy/turvy pot planting none of the growth showed colors so I included several pots of pansies...lordy they have so many different colors and mixtures to choose from..you must excel at mentoring "M" for them to ask you to take on 2 students again..

Watched weather update this morning on Breakfast television, they were calling for fantastic weather for this weekend along with high temps all week..just keyed into Midland weather, ho hum, calling for rain...still 4 more days so won't panic..if it does rain all day Saturday think I'll head over to Buffalo to pick up a few things, doing it in the rain won't feel quite as a lost day than doing in in sunshine..

Hokey Doodle !!! we have HEAT !!
24C yesterday and 25C today .. AND .. the rest of the week !!! WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO .. things are bustin out all over in the leaf dept ..

Have taken on the mentoring, will meet my twosome on the weekend . ... hope it all works out well ...

Take care all and enjoy the sun ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" think Thunder Bay is keeping all the nice weather..gee whiz, only 12 here and overcast..checked long weekend forecast..NOT GOOD..rain/rain/rain!

Another gorgeous day 'on tap' here in Thunder Bay. Sure could use some RAIN !!

Am calling the vet's office today and getting some of the 'insecticide' called REVOLUTION .. found 2 more ticks on Lilly last evening .. we had decided to go 'NO CHEMICALS' but .. the proliferation of those ticks after a warm/dry winter is forcing us to.

Enjoy your day wherever you are :-)

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" Sailor has long hair, don't think I'd see a tick on her..is there any other tell tale sign??? my eldest son Greg had a tick, was extremely ill, had to have surgery to remove it..they said had it been much longer it could have paralyzed him...dangerous...I'm not even sure what they look like..I'm also surrounded by woods, best I go check on the computer...

Well it's our long weekend, all week it's been beautiful..they've been calling for rain for both Saturday and Sunday, now says only Saturday, let's hope by Friday that will have changed and we'll be enjoying May 24 in sunshine.

Stopped and purchased a few shrubs this morning on my way to work, does it ever end lol...last night my neighbor gave me a cutting of the 'star of David, broke it up and had enough to plant in 3 different places...

Our church 'plant sale' is May 29th. - always support their efforts wether or not I need more..

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

wow its been a few crappy days here, work all day eat dinner then pretty much off to bed.. I have been so tired lately, could be from the rainy crappy weather we also had.. Today the sun is out going in the high 70's today, and the cherry on top is I'm OFF!!!! Well i have to go do a blood and sugar test but thats only an hour or two out of my day.. To the garden I will go... have a few more seeds to get in pots to hopefully fill that new huge garden once its finished...
jen

Victoria Harbour, ON

Maybe you are doing too much Jen...got to be careful in those last months of pregnancy..the next 2 days will be absolutely beautiful here..maybe I should opt for them off and then work the long weekend..lol..

What kind of seeds are you planting in pots?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty a tick on a human causes all kinds of proplems, generally loss of motor power and the symptoms can mimic more serious illness and if the tick is not found as you have discoveed huge problems. There is generally a history of being out camping the days before and often found in the back hairline )

I am assuming they might have the same effect on dogs but have never checked it out!

Victoria Harbour, ON

thanks Carol..Greg had one on his side and had it for some time..doctor said it could have led to terrible things!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Hardy hibiscus, and a few others not sure what yet.. I'm just starting them in the pot cause the garden isn't finished yet..

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Marilynne, Cooper has 'revolution' and still gets the occasional tick. The vet said the ticks will still latch on, but will not last long because it won't like what he's eating. I've always removed them before they could remove themselves.

I'm lurking... busy going to aquafit, walking the dog much more than before, down 11lbs for the last month. It's hard work.

Victoria Harbour, ON

My goodness that is an accomplishment..I've lost about 15 but at a standstill..am hoping to get some biking done this weekend..if it doesn't rain!!!

Most likely I've seen a tick but didn't know what it was..it can transfer from animals to humans right?

Between the mockorange and lilacs, lordy it's nice smelling...lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Awesome job linda, Betty as well !! Am missing swimming these days as our company is still here. Seems if I am not cooking or baking I am planning a menu, getting kinda tired. They leave for the east on Sunday .. really, the 2 weeks have gone by quickly.

Ticks .. a story from my vet ... in his FINE Nfdld accent :-) " Well ye see .. since we've had a dry winter, the ticks just climb up a blade of grass, and await the opportunity to jump onto someone, or, something, that passes close enough to them. They excrete a local anaeshthesia so that when they bite the creature cannot feel it, they then begin to nourish themselves with blood. They go from flat to the size of a coffee bean when full. When found, they must be removed HEAD first . If you pull away the body .. the head is left embedded under your skin." By that time I was about ready faint .. I am SO not a bug fan !!

http://www.tickinfo.com/

Anywho, phoned Piper's breeder to see how the pups were doing, mentioned I was purchasing Revolution, he had a PANIC attack (I swear he did) told me NO,NO,NO .. nadda, never .. he is totally not in favour of it's usage on animals.
SHEESH .. danged if you do, danged if you don't .. SOooooooooo .. we will now groom Lilly each evening to ensure she has nary a tick attached to her .. lovely !!!

We are in the HOT ZONE here in Thunder Bay, day four of temps above 27C.
First Hummingbirds have arrived .. doin the 'patio duck'n dive' now .. wonderful to see them ^_^

Best shuffle along ..

Enjoy !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks for the link "M"..now why did I think they were warm like ...hmmm..don't recall ever seeing a 'tick' but at least now I know what to look for..

You will be wondering what to do with yourself next week "M"..it's either feast or famine..

Although Breakfast Television says no rain for my area for the long weekend I keep checking the weather channel on the computer..oops shows rain for Saturday so guess they are covered regardless what weather we have..

Was going to USA for Saturday but plans have changed, I get to play at home..if it does rain just maybe I'll take a run to Meaford, always a fun place...

Do you all have special events/gatherings planned?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Weather has cooled off quite a bit and I have even heard suggestions that some areas might get snow this weekend! Got a lot done in the garden -Tuesday trekked thru 3 garden centres that I usually like and was rather disappointed in selection, didnt find much of what I was after so yesterday went back out to my old favorite ( Sunnyside) and got exactly what I was looking for!
I am working on the renovation of the upper perennials beds in the front yard, also continuing the renovation of the north bed against the house, added 4 Hostas yesterday, digging around to clear out some visitors discovered there was a Hosta I forgot about just starting to come up! Must have been an extra I stuck there last year
Have also added some daylilies in a narrow bed bordering the veggie beds which was looking rather messy.
Still have quite a bit to plant, will get all the pernnials in today I hope and some of the hardier annuals. Niught wait until next week to finish off.
Solved the issue of what to put on the front steps by fililng all the boxes with pansies - different color in each one - 4 on each side.
Adopted another dog from SPCA on Tuesday for ASR - but left her there until yesterday afternoon so she could get dental done then picked her up and took her to foster home. She has a lovely face and seems very gentle but she is a BIG girl, currently weighs 64 pounds and probably not much overweight. But her coat is in really bad shape, hope good food and fish oil will solve that. Might be a tough adopt as she is 9 years old in addition to the size! The SPCA named her Shelly.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

She's adorable...am sure once you have her for a bit her coat will just shine..Sailor-girl weighs approx. the same...but she IS overweight...

SNOW..omg how can that be...it's 20 right now, calling for little rain tomorrow but we might hit between 28-30 both Sunday and Monday..can't get much better than that..

I didn't go painting last night, wanted to get yard chores done before the rain, had in my mind to cut grass and weed, well got home and saw that a little elf had visited (neighbour/friend) and had done my yard, I played with weeding a few more hours as I've done every night this week, might say if I soon don't stop I'll be plucking out flowers..

This morning I left extra early and dropped into 2 nurseries, lordy I like the fact that they open at 8am..managed to purchase another hops , need about 6 more shrubs but can't decide what I want so I'll keep that for a weekend 'to do'

Stopped at Walmart looking for outdoor furniture covers, rather than plastic they had what's called 'go green' covers, bought a package, said for 5 piece set..yikes, opened it up in the car and it's a large cover which accommodates 5 pieces so now I'll have to decide if it's what I want or return it..

Carol,your yard will be as pretty as a picture, can you share photo's? I've a few more planters to fill but think I'll wait just a little longer because of the changes in weather..Kyle had bought me a plant for Mothers Day to go in the metal planter he made me for Christmas (you just got to love kids), no sooner did he hang it did it snow..looked pretty sad but I kept watering it and it seems to be bringing it back to life..

Now that house is clean, yard up to snuff there will not be much to do for 3 days so guess it will be play/play/play...how about you?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty check out my gardening blog on DG - lots of pics there but not always most recent.

Victoria Harbour, ON

will go and find it...ooohhh 35 minutes to go and off to enjoy May 24 weekend...oh happy days!

Victoria Harbour, ON

how do I get to your blog?

Once the visitors get on the plane on Sunday morning, I plan to hit McDonalds for breakfast (only place open @ 5am) .. then home to greet the day by planting perennials donated to me by friends who heard of my DISASTER with the landscapers.. have Iris, Phlox, Rudbeckia, peony, and 4 questionables LOL.

Weather here in TBay is to be 'HOT, HOT, HOT' ... 29C for 3 days in a row ? Hmmmmmmm ... believe it when I see it ..

Meet my 2 students tomorrow morning at the university .. have spoken with one today .. she is a sweetie .. she wanted to know what MY expectations were for Saturday ..?? I was stimied .. so .. I said I really had none but relating favourably with her and the other student, and helping them in the areas they are weak in. Her response? "Cool" .. LOL .. I think we'll get along fine and dandy !!!!

Off to create a culinary miracle (aka .. LEFTOVERS tonight)

^_^

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

http://davesgarden.com/tools/blog/

Carol .. Shelly is precious .. would imagine 64lbs is large for a Sheltie ?

Gorgeous day here .. last official day of the 'visit' .. will be up at 4am and off to the airport.

We were gifted by the sights and songs of so MANY birds today .. the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds, Red Winged Black Birds, Blue Jays, Whiskey Jacks, Filckers, Fly Catchers .. just a delight to sit and watch them ^_^

My 2 student nurses are just THE best .. one is from Kingston and elected to stay in Thunder Bay to improve her skills over the summer, the other is from TBay. As always .. even though we met for just an hour, I am learning more from THEM !! We'll tackle their want lists as the weeks unfold ..

Going to head outside and see what I can get into for a bit, plan to 'go bunkies' early !!

Enjoy your weekend

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

M yes she is large but she is not purebred and we dont know what breed the missing parent was. Shelties are occasionally that big but not often. We've had a couple about 45 lbs in rescue and they were pretty large.

Cool here although I did work in the backyard yesterday morning, fences cut the cold wind a bit, this morning I elected to clean out and re organize the shed - a twice a year job. Dont usually do it until I am finished planting but today was the day. Still a few things to go in the front yard and of course most of the annuals are till waiting. It has been down very close to freezing in my yard the past couple of nights. Keeping the tomatoes in the back porch, just in case. I hear a rumor we might even have a bit of snow tonight!

Sure glad I am not one of those who goes camping every long weekend!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all,

Although it threatened rain all day we've had no rain, perhaps tonight..hope so, get it over with..beautiful night out there, sat with Melanie DIL and Greg for awhile until the mosquito's were getting pints of blood for us...

OMG..did any of you watch W5 tonight??? story about ticks and lime disease..lordy, showed so many people deathly ill and no one diagnosing them with lime and because they say we Canadian border provinces aren't affected, no meds..most have to go to USA...it was so frightening to watch..

It's been a long day, mostly just rested, played with some crafts, had an afternoon nap, imagine that...kids wanted me to go for a campfire tonight, about 20 getting together but I said I'd pass..Jeff's on the bay having at a party with friends but this old grandma prefers an early night and bed...lol...

"M" both you and Carol seem to have enjoyed your day...

Ooops someone at the door, gotta run!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty there have been several cases of ticks been reported here in Alberta recently human and dog so they are warning people about it.

Lyme's Disease is here in TBay, I know a nurse I work with was diagnosed with it several years ago. She had to go to Wisconsin to have that done !!
It's a shame it isn't recognized more quickly in order for treatment to begin.
Right now we are TRYING to watch a pea sized lump on Lilly's 'elbow' .. she is SUCH a terrier .. if it's not HER idea to have it looked at .. forget it !!! Under the nearest bed she goes ..

Up at 3:45am .. off to the airport at 4:30am .. all good byes done by 4:45am .. half way home, Lorna looked in the back seat to see how Lilly was soing, and here is her Mom's PURSE !!! SCREEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHH!! Back to the airport we go .. arrived in plenty of time .. her poor Mom and Dad were sitting there looking like lost souls, my cell # was IN the purse !!! Folks at the WestJet desk were all cheering for me .. too funny ..
All worked out fine, and they arrived home in King City by 9:15am (flight left at 6:30am)
Had an issue with Security outside the airport which I will be addressing with the powers that be .. ludicrius about explains the bafflegab I was exposed to ..

Awesome day here

Off I go

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

They don't live that far from me "M" if they are just north of Toronto.. why do some have to make it so difficult for others, must be they need to show their authority and yet if they were more helpful they'd be remembered more!

Got my saws outside, made the floor base for the shed I'm making, have old timber in line trying to get proper dimensions for the base width and all of a sudden it's clouded over, not so sure it won't start raining so tools undercover..drats..was ambitious finally and raring to go..

I sure did have an eye opening when I watched W5..was telling Greg about it and how lucky he was...when the doctor took a biopsy, he put something on a tile so they could send it out, few seconds later, gone..that's when he clued in that it could be live and still parts within, in no time he scheduled an operation..what I couldn't believe was how they change their mode of attack and it's so difficult to determine that it is lime disease..they said in Ontario they had 100 cases and just across the border over 15,000 so how could they not think it's here...did say some can travel by birds, some animals and some humans..lordy when they went on how to dress outside I was amazed..doubtful anywould would dress that way but guess if there are more numbers getting it we will have to, especially near wooded areas...

Hope it's sunshine in your neck of the woods...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sunny but cool again here. This is dress up day for me so probably wont be doing anything in the garden.

King City is north of TO off Hwy 427 (that's one way) .. seems there are lotsa ways to get there :)
Nice place .. typical 'burb' being morphed into a MEGA burb !!

Spent the day/afternoon planting some stuff .. will have to take a pic of one of my perennial beds as the Bleeding Heart, one of my favourites, is in bloom .. with the Peony not far behind.

Pretty tired, am amazed at the years I worked midnights and was NEVER tired/weary .. getting up before 4am catches up with ya !!

Enjoy the holiday day tomorrow :)

~M~

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Wow - well I finally got back here to see what you're all up to, and I sure did miss a lot.

This year I don't think I'll even have any gardens at all. When I was away last, fall of 09, 2 mos in Kenya, front gardens all got overgrown with some kind of "grass" that's been invading (or alternatively, some nice neighbour did me a favour and seeded my lawn for me) the small lawn space and the garden areas are completely covered over now, and this grass has roots so deep that if I want to do anything I'll have to hire someone to come and spade it off. And I'm getting a new back deck and the whole back yard is completely trampled and they're not through yet. It's just such a small space, there really wasn't any way not to trample it all.

And to continue the tale of woe, the tomato seeds I started grew to about two inches and - just - quit! I've never seen or heard of this before, so now will have to find someone else's tomato plants rather than my heirlooms. The squirrels or coons ate all the bean plants I started, but left the peas completely alone, though they were right next to each other. Strange, eh? Fits right in with the totally strange year.

ViolaAnn - wow, retirement. I think it can be an adjustment if you liked your job, and you certainly seemed to, but I don't think that you will be one of those who just retire, grab a beer and sit in front of the TV for the rest of their lives because they have no interests. After a bit of rest and re-org, I bet you'll be as busy as ever.

And fancyvan - such a sweet looking little Sheltie. When I was young and we lived in the country and had dogs, my mom would always mix cooked Red River cereal with the dog food for a while if they were having coat problems, and that stuff really works! Must be the flax seed in it.
So nice to "see" you all - and Happy Birthday JoannaBanana! What a great day for it - or for anything!
~marilyn

This message was edited May 24, 2010 4:20 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Marilyn, omg you have a right to cry, just think though, it was worth it for your stay in Kenya now wasn't it...if you are not off on another adventure I'm sure you'll time to work on the gardens...guess you will have to start fresh..kill everything in the bed, wait a year, add new soil and voila you'll have a showcase garden..easy as though..don't we wish..sounds as though you've a lot on your plate as well...

Weather has been fantastic here today, right now it's 74 but feels quite a bit hotter...got the back and sides done for my shed and then put the tools away, today should be a day of rest right?

Transplanted a few flowers so giving them a drink of water, sure hope I don't put them into shock..it's now or never though, by the time I have supper that will be the end of my energy..

Singing as well to JoannaBanana..little off key but still singning 'Happy Birthday to you!"..

"M" I love bleeding hearts as well, have 1 plant with 3 pink hearts, pretty skimpy, perhaps next year..do you have yours in sunshine or shade? lady next door bought 2 smalls ones last year, omg, they are white and must be 3' in height and I could never count the hearts..will have to go take a photo..oooh just a sec..will only take me a sec...

I'll start with mine..sad...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

now for the next door neighbours...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

OHMIGOSH Betty , the ALBANS (white) Bleeding Heart is SO awesome !!! I have never liked the white, prefer the pink, and yours is lovely.
Mine is in full sun .. but looks much like yours .. will try for a photo later as it is WAY over 90F out there right now !!! Have had the A/C running most of the day.

Marilyn, nice to hear from you .. and empathize with you re your renos and garden problems .. give it a year and all will be fine I am sure ^_^

Lorna spent 3 hours trimming out the property next door .. she uses an electric wchair to do it .. however, her right arm suffers from holding her gas trimmer ..
We start swimming again tomorrow .. and I have my nursing students in the afternoon ..

Best get to dinner .. THANK YOU M&Ms ^_^

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.