May Blooms

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Roses

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Beautiful!
jen, saw your rhodies in another thread and they are great. I don't have any, and just barely two azaleas- had their first blooms this spring. I cut two roses yesterday, but my stellas d'oro's are still just buds, and the first buds of any in the row of DLs. ots of iris out, oxeye daisies near to open, bubby bush going the latin name escapes me at the moment, (Carloina allspice) and purple ninebark.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Aquilegia "Coral Star" grown from seed (winter sowed 2009), picture taken May 5th.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Geranium "Vision Violet" (grown from seed, winter sowed 2009), picture taken May 5th.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Lupine "The Governor" (grown from seed, winter sowed 2009), picture taken May 5th.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Allium "Purple Sensation" and Salvia "May Night" on May 4th.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Columbine of unknown variety on May 4th.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Lupine "Gallery Pink" (grown from seed, winter sowed 2009), picture taken May 7th.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Baptisia x bicolor Starlight, picture taken May 7th

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Centaurus montana, picture taken May 7th

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Dianthus "Firewitch", picture taken on May 7th.

Thumbnail by pgt
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

pgt,

Do you mean--all these were just wintersowed last Fall?????
I am especially blown away about your Lupines! So large and blooming--and just from seed over the last Winter?????? Or--was it W-sowed fall of 2008 and grew all last year?

WOW!!! Great pictures!
Please share what kind of containers you W-sow in and where do you keep them 'protected"?

Thanks, Gita

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita,
Thanks! They were wintersown Feb of 2009, so not this past winter, but the winter before. They didn't bloom last year. This is their first year blooming. I use milk jugs, and just put them out in the open, and don't really protect them. I've become a big fan of winter sowing. It's such an inexpensive way to get lots of great healthy plants!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful flowers everyone
pgt, I really need to start Winter Sowing.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wow, so much pretty! I swear I can almost smell that Daphne. And those camelias are drop dead gorgeous, Gita. I love the color. On the leaves, yellowing dropping is often some nutrient deficiency, often nitrogen or iron.

However, I found this:
Camellia yellow mottle leaf virus causes irregular yellow patterns or mottling on camellia leaves. Leaves may eventually turn completely yellow. There is no cure for camellia yellow mottle; therefore, prevention is important. As this virus is transmitted through infected stock, make sure camellia plants are obtained only through healthy plants.
Here: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/flower/identifying-and-fixing-problems-with-camellias.htm

Bec, what is that dark pink rose? It sure is a beautiful color.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

pgt, you have some great color there.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hart - it's a "Zepherine Drouhin" (sp?)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Well, duh on me. I have that one. Mine has buds but no blooms just yet. I'm sure you have the spelling right.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

these niobe clems are always the first ones up. they are much darker tha they appear here. love all the pics. hunt and peck will go on til the wrist and hand get free from cast.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

hart--

Thanks for your suggestions.....
My camellia has had these leaf problems for the last 3 Winters....it starts developing around early winter and by bloom time, many of the affected leaves will have dropped off. many still remain.
it does give the shrub an unruly appearance, as the leaves that fall off are from last year's growth--so to the inside of the bush.
The new growth will be fine and unaffected until next Winter--when all this starts up again.

Last fall--I spread a lot of coffee grinds and pine needles under it. Just a week ago, I drenched it with an Iron solution.

My Camellia is about 12 years old. It is "Bob Hope"--a very pretty double/tripple red. Almost looks like a Peony....

This shot is from 08. I have photos somewhere of the affected leaves--just cannot find them right now.....
Gotta run! G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Wow there are some great gardeners here!! LOL Love all the photos...

This one is Abelia, the fragrance is incredible! I want a whole hedge of them somewhere!

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Shenandoah Valley, VA

You might want to try some Espoma Hollytone fertilizer too, Gita, since it sounds like it's an acid lover. You can get a small bag for around $5. It's terrific stuff and you just sprinkle it onto the ground around the plant.

I used to have a huge abelia hedge along the side of my front yard. Mine had pink flowers. It was gorgeous but grew so extremely fast, it was hard to keep it chopped into a hedge shape.

Roses, I LOVE that Niobe clematis. What a stunning color.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

i wish that i had a ca ellia tree. even the leaves are beautiful, gita.

that abelia sounds like something i should have plenty of in my new bed, ronnie

trying to do away with mulch and continue to seed start various ground covers. starting to spread nicely.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

hart--Thanks!

I use ALL the "Tones" for my garden! Plant--Rose--Bulb--Holly-Lawn, etc.....Been doing it for years!!!!

I buy them in 20-25lb. bags at Meyer Seed Co.

Irises are big n my yard right now This one is NOID from jill, she tagged it 'FSK Swap" The cool thing is, FSK is my three kids' initials.

Thumbnail by sallyg

High Spirited from critter- (somewhere I called it High Society- the label is out there I swear but my brain is not conected) "spirited is in plant files and society is not soooo

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally they are so pretty. Only irises blooming in my yard right now are the white ones the others are coming along though. The white irises look really pretty when you have some color to go with them but right now standing there all alone they look pretty boring.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Here's my white one, a touch of yellow, my yellow one above has just another touch more

Thumbnail by sallyg
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Irises!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

very pretty Iris, Mine are not blooming, have not been out to see if there are any buds. I'll just enjoy seeing all of the pretty ones here and I can almost smell them. I love the fragrance of Iris.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This may become a very interesting Azalea. It didn't bloom much last year so I didn't notice it. When I bought the Azalea I noticed that there were two Azaleas growing together. I didn't think much of it at the time but decided not to try and separate them just plant them as they were. Well it turns out that there were two different Azaleas in that pot.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That azalea is very pretty.

interesting 'bicolor' azalea!
Click to see this entire tall skinny picture. I have just had the Iris forum people pretty much decide it is Wabash developed around 1940. This wind has dried out and wilted all my iris blooms except what are by a tall wooden fence.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally I have a similar one and I think they might have IDed it as Walbash also I've have to go back and find the thread were they were discussing it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Spiderwort

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Black eyed Stella

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Daisies (from Sally)

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sib Iris

Thumbnail by flowAjen