Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Nice to be in rock country eh Bernie!
Wish I had the farm equipment you have.
We'd be putting in 2 ton boulders! lol!

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Warmer this morning at 43° -

Details for Tuesday, April 20
A mix of clouds and sun this morning followed by increasing clouds with showers developing this afternoon. High around 70F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Evening: Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. Low 49F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

My strawberry plants (50 ea) shipped yesterday (Nourse) FED-EX will be here tomorrow.

I need to go to the DR tomorrow and see if I can go back to work.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Marilyn, Please send some of that rain our way. The radar showed a few showers had reached southern Kentucky this morning, but we need it up here!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

40°. I see a trend here, LOL! It's going to be in the 70's with more sun than yesterday. I'll be able to wear short sleeves today, and sunscreen. I think I forgot to hit send on my post yesterday! Well, I'll have to go the short version on answers.

Bernie, knob hill, interesting but not good for planting! I do believe rocks and flower clumps gain much weight!

Chrissy, I love stories about the old folk!

Celia, neat hawk picture! No, weeping shape is cool and the blossoms are gorgeous!

Pepper, hockey blossoms :o)

Bernie, nothing so cheery as red tulips!

Ric, good to have the car fixed and a beautiful azalea! Isn't that a groaner on the car. 15 minutes. My Dad would say you got the goody out of that part :o) Wow, what a brilliant idea on the bolt!

Marsue, your tippy pot is cute!

Dyson, another job down!

Celia, I wish I had a nice wall as a backdrop. What vines have you decided on?

Sunfarm, aren't simple things best sometimes? The violets are so pretty. I have those and the purple and they cheer me up to see them.

Dyson, I'm glad someone else was available to move furniture!

Oh Kelly! If I had Best Bet I'd give you some. Nice color in your yard! Yor roses are gorgeous!!! I had Mr Lincoln and it frittered away, to death, over the few years I had it. So that's how it could have looked, sigh!

Pepper, 70's. we're livin the good life now! Never leave home without your hat!! Love the huchera and it's name!

Cuckoo, I'll bet it's gorgeous everywhere! Our lilacs are just opening and I want to run into everyone's yard and smell each one :o)

Bernie, I love works in progress and I can't wait to see it finished! It will be a job to do, but a job well done! Wow, are those the rocks you picked up? Questioned answered. I'd never get tired of seeing what I dug up next.

Marsue, how beautiful! The colors go well with your brick and it's so peaceful!

Dyson, you're getting it all in before the rain. That's always nice! Enjoy your time off. It will be over all too soon.

I watered the garden yesterday and can only hope we'll get rain later this week. Today is going to be one of those perfect spring days. The plants that are up are clean, untorn and perky. Yes perky! It's light out and I'm going to get dressed and get my walk in early. I have a lot to do while it's not too hot or cold!! Whoo Hoo! Winter is over!

I decided to move this small Cup Plant from beside the compost pile. I dug... and dug... and dug . I finally dug out beside it and was trying to jab the shovel under it to cut the root that was holding it. Talk about feeling old and unhandy. Then I wrestled and wrestled it out of the hole. It sat for two days while I decided whether to keep it. It took about 10 minutes to wrangle a chunk off to replant and planted the main chunk across the road.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Dyson: I hope you get a good report at the Dr.'s tomorrow! Go back to work?--sounds like you have already "gone back to work"!!
Sally: that is some big root ball! What kind of plant is that?

# Today: Plentiful sunshine. High 74F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low near 45F. Winds light and variable.
Not much chance of rain till Saturday--wouldn't you know? That is the day a bunch of us from the Mid-South are meeting at Randolph's Nursery in Jackson, TN for a plant shopping frenzy, lunch and lots of good fellowship! Maybe it won't be raining over there. They usually get our weather the next day.
edited to add: more reports of "earthquakes in diverse places" this morning. hhhhmmmm???

noid iris

This message was edited Apr 20, 2010 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Kelli I absolutely LOVE your flowers!! Very very nice, and CA roses are the best, hands down!

Ric my goal in life, since I was about 10, is to visit all 50 states in the Nation before I die. 46 is awesome, which ones have you not been to?

I'm about to go visit and dig into my work, so I'll catch ya'll in a bit!

I don't know about the rain Mau, Channel 16 said last night that there is 30% chance rain Wednesday, 60% chance Thursday, 60% chance Friday with possible strong storms, and 30% Saturday. They can't predict it while it's happening, and every channel and internet page says something different, and they all get their info from NOAA, that's what's hilarious!

Here are some pics I took yesterday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100419#

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I've not been to HI, AK which is funny because I've been to BC, MN and ID....

Hmmmm think I just saw a Hummer!
BBL....

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

48°
Sunny & Bright

Watered lightly as it is supposed to rain later and the radar shows it to the SW.

(Zone 3b)

26*F
We did get up to 50*F, once, yesterday's high was 43*F, not the 50 forecast. There's still snow on the ground and nothing green. That will change dramatically; once it starts it happens very fast.
Can't begin to tell you how pretty all the blooms are-hockey are my favorite:))
The pond project will be wonderful, CG.

Thumbnail by kiska
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow.. we have a group of busy beavers!! I cna't keep up! hahaha... way to go folks!
Kelli.. I LOVE your roses.. I have some too.. I lost my "Brandy" ( sounds like I lost my liquer!!! hahaha) a few yrs ago & it was one of my fav's!! I am having problems with blackspot right now.. my current fav rose Double Delight has had it the worse.. it looks almost naked now! I have a "Don Juan" (climber) a rink one & a white one & Montezuma( an orange one).. I can't remember the names of the pink & white! hahaha

Marsue.. it's too bad you can't kill your weeds with vinegar without affecting the plants too!!
Marylyn_TX.. if you are going to the Arlington RU May 2 I will know it's you when I see nothing but ferns!!! hahahahaha

I was happy to notice my seedlings are starting to peek through. I also notice my Angel Trumpet doesn't look too well!
We got 1.5 inches of rain over the weekend..some areas got more. It is now in the 70's, after being in the 50-60 range.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

The Mister Lincoln rose bush is old, probably over 40 years old. The woman next door said that most of the landscaping that was here when we moved here was put in when the house was new.

Kiska, do you get tired of looking at all of that white for so long? I think two or three weeks would be enough for me. I have to have some color.

Marylyn, I have a Boston fern as a houseplant. It barely muddles along here in the land of no humidity. I didn't know they could grow outside beyond the tropics.

We are having some wind and a little bit of drizzle right now but not enough to even drip off the roof yet.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on April 20, 2010
60 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 12 mph from the South

This is a kalanchoe (actually, three in one pot) that I got for Thanksgiving and it is reblooming now.

Thumbnail by Kelli

I just realized that I have been to half the states, 25 of them! Let's see...

CA, OR, ID, NV, AZ, UT, WY, CO, NM, TX, OK, KS, NE, SD, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, TN, KY, HI

Woo Hoo!! I'm half way there and approx half my life is over. I need to get on the stick I suppose...

Well, I had to count, too, and was surprised to come up with 32, including places where all I did was change planes.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

67° - The rain is almost here.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Forgot the pic -

Thumbnail by Dyson
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The only state east of the Mississippi I haven't been to is Vermont. West of the Mississippi, I haven't been to Minnesota, North or South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Hawaii, or Alaska. So I've been in 37. I've only been in Arizona long enough to change planes in Tucson, and I slept through Kansas as we were driving through, so they only sort of count. LOL

After a very rainy weekend, it's really nice again here. We had a "cold front" come through... It wasn't very cold! Today we're back up in the upper 70s.

I started typing this about 2 1/2 hours ago and got distracted. Oops!

Kelli, your roses are gorgeous! I hope you didn't send ALL of your 'Best Bet' irises away! Yep, Boston ferns love it here. They die back over the winter, but they pop right back up again when it warms up.

LOL Cindy! I wish I could go to the Arlington RU. Some year... I want to go to the Jacksonville one sometime, too. They both look like fun. :-)

Ric, I'm drooling over your azaleas!! We just got 4 pink ones from the RU. I'm hoping I can keep them alive now.

Dyson, I'm glad your son in law moved the furniture for you. Yayy for strawberries!

Bernie, your pond is going to look great! Maybe you need to do some more house remodeling, so you can get more dirt? LOL

Marilyn, I LOVE those tippy pots!! I have liked the idea since I first saw them, and I particularly love your colored pots with the watering can on top. Perfect!!

Charles is home, so I need to get dinner. Talk to you peeps soon!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CDT (60 min ago)
Temperature 76 °F 24 °C
Dew Point 55 °F 13 °C
Humidity 48%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.4 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir WNW 300°
Ceiling 5000 ft 1524 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 °F 26 °C
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 60.1°F / 15.6°C

Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Weather here today was great!! Clouds came in this afternoon so I didn't need my hat or sunglasses. LOL. High in the low 70s with a breeze. Of course at work there's always a breeze. It's like a wind tunnel there.

I've been to IA, IL, KY, OK, KS, NE, SD, ND, Minn, Mont, WY, NM, AZ, CA, OR, WA, ID, NV, TX and Indiana. Only 2 western states I haven't been to are Utah and Colorado. Haven't been past the eastern MO border states yet or down south.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the Sewing Room and Porch GH are empty.
Work Bench is about complete.
Tomorrow we'll start tackling the roof GH.

The Silver Maple leafed out at an unbelievable rate.
Amazing how in one week the Backyard went from full sun to shade.

No rain here till at least Friday.

Our neighbor's dogs got out for the third time this week.
Our dog went nuts and wants a piece of them....lol!
I walked out our back gate and the smaller one headed at me w/ murder in her heart.
She's maybe a 20 pound Jack cross.
I yelled right at her to get her butt home.
She kept on coming but their Rottie turned tail and ran for it's gate.
The little bugger kept coming.
I turned sideways, pointed straight at her and in my 'construction voice' said 'NOW! and pointed toward their house.
She dug a skid mark patch stopping, turned and beat feet home....lol!
I went over later and beefed up their gate latch.
The 130 pound Rott was just pushing it w/ his head and springing it.

Ric

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Ric, that was close! Lucky you had your "construction voice "with you!LOL
Crissy, your garden looks great! Wonderful irises!
Sally, I was wondering too, what is that plant? You sure had a fight with her!LOL I have something similar here, but I was thinking it's a weed...has very deep roots too!
Kelli, those roses and th ekalanchoes are beautiful!
Mau, your irises are blooming too! What earthquakes? Love the colored pots pyramid, so cute!

The rain has stopped and the sun is shining, yeaaah! I got my hanging geraniums out on the balconies. I hope the wind won't break them.
This is a sunset from 2 days ago.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

52°

Details for Wednesday, April 21
Cloudy with showers. Thunder possible. High 69F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Evening: Clear to partly cloudy. Low 46F. Winds light and variable.

Currently still raining

When last checked the strawberry plants had made it to Salem, Va. (20 - 30 Mi. away).

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

45° and it's light enough to see clouds.

Marsue, it's a cup plant. They get about 10' tall with sunflower blooms. The real reason I have it is the leaves clasp all the way around, forming a cup that really holds water for small birds. It's a bit on the wild side and spreads where it's happy. Sitting on the edge of the compost made it pretty happy! I also kept it, because for the first time ever, I had an Angelwing/Comma butterfly on it. That's a beautiful delicate color on the iris!

Chrissy, I love your slideshows! All beautiful pictures!!

Ric, ROTFL over your BBL!!

Aahhh Kiska, a beautiful break in the ice!

Cindylove, that's a nice rain!

Kelli, the kalanchoe are gorgeous! I love the three in one!

Wow, a lot of you really travel for one reason or another!

Ric, your projects keep rolling on! ROTFL at mighty mite and the rot! You sound like DH. It's easier to fix something than to mention it sometimes.

Adina, I love your sky photos! You have the perfect open space for a good view!

Dyson, hope your strawberries come before the rain.

We have a slight chance for occasional showers today, but a better chance over the next couple of days. I'll be weeding again.

Cup Plant blooms and Angelwing butterfly

Thumbnail by billyporter
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Been raining half the night, starting to taper off, should be finished soon.

(Zone 7a)

53.3 °F with 70º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 43 °F
Wind: 5.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 14.0 mph
Pressure: 29.58 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1800 ft
Scattered Clouds 3500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

I had minor surgery yesterday. I'll catch up later.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Cindy: I finally resorted yesterday to using spray-on weed killer but I got down real close to the weeds and just sprayed them and the wind wasn't blowing while I was spraying. Having to hand pull all those weeds would have taken me days and been hard on my back! I don't like to use weed killer but it was them or me and I chose my own welfare over theirs. LOL
Crissy: love your photos of your flowers, etc. They are doing great! I'll trade you a Gentle Giant Daffodil bulb for one of those yellow iris rhizomes. I was going to count how many states I have been in but I can't find my atlas. I know I have been in or through every one of the southern states from the east coast to the west coast and also in PA, NJ, NY, plus all the states from LA straight up to MN and also in SD, WY, Montana, Colorado and Kansas. That's a bunch but I don't have a count. Took me 60 plus years to get around to all of that. One of these days I'll make it a point to find my atlas so I can count them all. LOL I would like someday to drive from CA up the west coast all the way to Alaska. Have to find me a traveling companion first. Preferably a rich one! LOL
Kelli: I love the kalanchoe and the different colors. I would buy one for myself but I really don't need another house plant.
Ric: that dog recognized a true pack leader when he saw one!
Pepper: I see the hockey team is still "blooming" LOL
Adina: nice photo of the clouds. the earthquakes I mentioned were very minor and showed up in places where they don't normally have
earthquakes. I can't remember now where they were. Oops!
BP: thanks for the info on the yellow flower--nice pic of the Cup Plant/butterfly!
Dyson: glad you got some rain--if you needed it, that is!
Celia: At least the surgery was minor. Get better soon!

Another lovely day here though a bit warm. Currently 78F on my back porch!

Here's a link to my flower pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/Spring2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3YtdqY-5uLUA#

More noid Iris

Thumbnail by marsue

Gee, Celia, keeping us hanging... Nice quail picture.

Cloudy and chilly today. We got 0.03" of rain yesterday and about a micron today.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on April 21, 2010
55 °F
Light Rain
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 41 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the ESE

Thumbnail by Kelli
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Dyson, I hope the rain was just what you needed. There was so much dirt flying around here today, someone is going to get a good rain.

Celia! I hope your minor surgery was nothing too painful. You know I adore that picture! Does he only have one leg?

Marsue, we're all guilty of having to use weed spray. Sometimes you have no choice. ROTFL over the rich traveling companion. Amen! I loved the slideshow. What gorgeous blooms!

Kelli, a micron is more than I got today. It popcorned all around us. Love the African Violet!

As I said, the dirt just blew today. It was 80°, but not warm at all. I re-potted tomatoes and tried to weed before the dirt drove me in. Now I'm all showered shampooed and in my flannel jammie pants. It's dropped to 68° and still breezy.

Sunrise from this morn!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Celia, hope you are on the mend and will be back to feeling well soon. Today was gorgeous here. Wish I didn't have to spend a lot of it in doctors' waiting rooms! At least my checkups went well, though I am tired from the drive to and from the Big City. Redbuds and dogwoods were beautiful, though I didn't want to risk taking my camera and leaving it in the car.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau what lovely pictures!
Your yard is looking very nice.
That Jacob's Ladder is especially striking!

Celia hope you have a quick recovery!

Another clear and warm day.
We're hitting the upper 60's/ low 70's now.
Way too warm still!
Maybe some rain by tomorrow morning. Better chance overnight tomorrow.
Then we may hit about 5 days of on/off again rain.....
Funny ti be needing rain this early in the year.

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cool today and cloudy. Never left the 60s and there was scattered showers around us most of the day. Never got a drop though.

Queen of the Prarie coming up.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Went to the doctors office today - I am cleared to return to work. I will start on Monday.

Took the wife to Red Lobster for dinner on the way home. When we got back to the house there was a box on the front porch - 50 Strawberry plants - can anyone guess what I am going to be planting tomorrow (weather permitting)?

It is dark - good night all.

(Zone 7a)

I am still a bit tired so I'll keep it brief. I won't go into details here. Crissy knows what happened and can vouch it isn't anything major. Hence, the "miner" procedure. ^_^ The deed was done, 2 stitches and on my way home. The anesthesia is what makes me overly tired for a couple of days.

Mau, that's my dwarf weeping cherry. My first tree planted in this yard and she blooms abundantly without fail every year.

Weeping peach in full bloom today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

My cherry blossoms have faded but I have pea-sized fruit coming along. Hope I don't have to "donate" them all to the birds this year!

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

43° and I can just see shapes and white birdbaths.

Dyson, good news! It means you're heart is OK! Isn't it funny how things always seem to be waiting for you :o)

Celia, glad it's just stitches and not a cast. The color on your cherry tree is so perfect!

Sunfarm, sweet or sour?

''They,'' are talking rain, if the warm front comes thru to deliver the moisture. I've heard that before. I think I'll water today.

Wind beneath my wings

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: Now that I know you use weed killer, too, I won't feel guilty anymore! LOL I'm glad you enjoyed my slide show. I suppose the closest a human can come to "the wind beneath my wings" would be a hang glider--but I think I'll pass on that. I have been parasailing (20+ years ago) and once was enough! LOL
Kelli: pretty violets. The Mead's Strain amaryllis has a bloom stalk coming up!
KY Sally: glad the checkups went well!
Ric: glad you liked my photos, too. We are supposed to get rain/thunderstorms Friday night and they will probably head your way. See the report below.
Pepper: no rain here, either.
Celia: so glad it was limited to a couple of stitches! Why don't "they" name the "weeping" trees "fountain" trees instead. It would be a much nicer image than "weeping" LOL as in "Dwarf Fountain Cherry". :o))

I came across this from the NWS. What a bummer--this does not bode well for our trip to Jackson, TN to Randolph's Nursery on Saturday! Some of us Mid-South Folk are taking the annual trek to Rita's nursery for container plants. Should be fun if the weather cooperates.

...SEVERE WEATHER POSSIBLE FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT...THEN A MAJOR
SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK EXPECTED SATURDAY...

A COMPLEX WEATHER SITUATION IS UNFOLDING FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.
A WARM...MOIST...AND UNSTABLE AIRMASS WILL OVERTAKE THE MIDSOUTH
FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THIS UNSTABLE AIRMASS IN COMBINATION WITH
STRENGTHENING WIND SHEAR COULD CAUSE SOME SEVERE STORMS TO DEVELOP
LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND PERSIST THROUGH LATE FRIDAY EVENING.
THE UNCERTAINTY OF FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT HINGES ON WHETHER AN
UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE CAN TRIGGER THUNDERSTORMS. HOWEVER...ANY
THUNDERSTORM THAT MANAGES TO DEVELOP DURING THIS TIME HAS A GOOD
CHANCE OF BECOMING SEVERE WITH DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL GIVEN
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS.
THE SEVERE THREAT INCREASES MARKEDLY SATURDAY AS A RAPIDLY
STRENGTHENING SURFACE LOW TRACKS FROM SOUTH TEXAS TO SOUTHERN
ILLINOIS. A MAJOR SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK IS LIKELY TO UNFOLD
BY LATE SATURDAY MORNING ACROSS MOST OF THE MIDSOUTH. THE BEST
CHANCE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS SATURDAY WILL BE ALONG AND EAST OF
THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. EVEN STRONGER WIND SHEAR AND A CONTINUATION
OF UNSTABLE CONDITIONS COULD PRODUCE TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL...AND
WIDESPREAD WIND DAMAGE WITH STORMS. FLASH FLOODING WILL ALSO BE
POSSIBLE.
THE BEST WINDOW FOR SEVERE WEATHER WILL BE FROM 4 PM TO MIDNIGHT
FRIDAY...AND FROM 10 AM TO 7 PM SATURDAY.

Friday licking his chops after chewing on a rawhide.

Thumbnail by marsue
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

55F - Clear and Bright - Strawberry plants await.

(Zone 7a)

Friday snuggles! LOL So cute...

The name given for that little cherry is supposedly, "Snow Fountain." I got the runt of the litter as this tree is listed as being 12'-15'. It's topped out at just under 4'.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL, Celia! I'll say you got the "runt of the litter"! It is still pretty, though, and I like the name of "Snow Fountain"! :o))

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

The cherries are tart enough for pies and jam, but not so tart you can't eat them right off the tree. I don't know what variety they are as they are volunteers from three old trees that were in the front yard when we bought the place. We transplanted 10 to the garden area beside the house four years ago.

Please send your severe weather in another direction, Marilyn. We need rain but not with such baggage.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We need the rain, too, but also without the threat of tornadoes, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.