April Showers/April Flowers (Part 4)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

No frost last night.... it was 37° when I got up but has dropped to 34° currently.

Looks like that Finch was going to Town!

Seems we may have a glitch in putting the siding up on the Sewing Room.
I hung a Grape Vine Wreath up to get it out of the way.
Finches have found it and are attempting to build a nest.... if so we'll wait....

The Japanese Ferns ARE lovely.
The bad thing is that it is hard to get a 'true' shot of the colors.
I guess a lot of it is lighting conditions.
I'll see what I can do.

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

39º was the low here.
Everything beautiful today in the bright sun.
Going for 65º'
Working on the pond area.
Do rocks gain weight ? Seem a lot heavier than when I put them in 20 years ago.
No wonder beds are overgrown. Started this thing in 1982!

Off to the big town. May buy a tiny tiller. Earthquake mini that's only $149. Also need potting soil for in greenhouse.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Dyson: good luck with getting those onions planted!
Sally: that little bird is surely creating a big splash!
Ric: I went out and counted the Big Dipper pups this morning--I now have 10 of them coming up! :o))) Are those goldfinches that found the wreath or house finches?
Bernie: I need to borrow that 'tiny tiller'! LOL I think everything is heavier when one gets older! LOL again!

We are heading for a high of 70F. 10% chance of rain today. 50% tonight. We need the rain.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL Thought you all would like that story, there are many many more stories of things my grandfather used to do, just to see what would happen if...

He loved gardening and had a small veggie garden in the back and my grandmother had 3 large flowerbeds full of miscellaneous what-not. He decided he was going to grow two beefsteak tomato plants and see how big he could get the tomatoes to grow, so he fed one with Miracle-Gro and fed the other with something else that was just as popular but didn't have the rep, I forgot what now. Well, the tomato plant with the plant food that I can't remember grew these nice, flavorful, big beefsteak tomatoes. The plant with Miracle-Gro grew one extremely big, nice, red, flavorful beefsteak! I don't know where the pictures have gone to, but that was literally the biggest tomato I have ever seen to this day. It was a great conversation piece too!

Hi Cindy!! Nice to see you Kelli!

Cumulus nice pics of all that ash coming from Iceland! WOW!

(Zone 7a)

Another beautiful day here. We're outside playing!

75º for the high today and I hope we make it. Partly cloudy.

This fellow checked out the feeder then caught a thermal and headed west.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Neat hawk! We had one in our front yard nail a blue jay yesterday afternoon, but I did not have the camera handy to record it. I just found a few feathers in the grass when I went out to investigate. The hawk was small--maybe a sparrow hawk. Is that a Cooper's or sharp-shinned in your picture?

(Zone 7a)

Not sure what it is. It's not a sharp-shinned. It might be a juvenile Goshawk or...? I have it in the Bird ID. We'll see what the experts say.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

For the first time in months, the temp is now at 50*F~cold days are gone and the snow will be, too.
great photos~

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

High in the high 60s and sunny til a couple hours ago. Then clouds started moving in and cooling down.

Got 2 rows of potatoes and 2 rows of onions planted. Put leftovers in grow bags. Need to get my maters in the ground but have to get this nylon trellis thing put up first and my stakes for it are too short.

Another hockey pic. LOL. I have a ton of them since irises aren't blooming yet.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Pepper, I never said thank you! Thank you!

Here those blooms are open. Weeping peach, 'Crimson Cascade'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

The bird IS a sharp-shin, BTW.

The whole silly tree. I need to make it grow UP not OUT!!! LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

First Iris in bloom here today. Very early!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That IS early Bernie!
Ours aren't far behind though.

Car is fixed.
A stupid 20 dollar part.... that meant taking about 1/2 the top of the engine off to fix....
OK I'm exaggerating but it did take an hour just to get to the part.
And that by a mechanic! It would have taken me 2 hours.
It's a sensor that sets the fuel to air ratio and the spark.
So the car's now running right.

Here's our Azalea.
Just an old heirloom form the 1940's that blooms it's heart out every year.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice pic rick - Used to be able to replace a starter in an hour or less - last one I had to replace was a half day project because of all the stuff that had to be removed to get to it - progress (keeping the technicians (remember when they were mechanics?) employed).

39°

Details for Monday, April 19
Sunny. High around 70F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: A few passing clouds. Low 42F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia: great detail on the photo of the hawk--you can almost count the feathers! Nice crimson cascade!
Kiska: woohoo--you hit 50F!!
Pepper: iris are prettier that hockey players! LOL
Bernie: my iris just started blooming, too! Is that yellow one a miniature?
Ric: one of these days it is going to take a master's degree to work on vehicles! At least it was only a $20.00 part but what about the charge for labor? Beautiful azalea!
Dyson: your temps are about the same as ours. Did you get those onions planted?

Today: (It rained briefly this morning but barely enough to wet the sidewalk. We need a good, slow steady drizzle all day, but it looks as if the front has moved out.)
Mostly cloudy with temperatures warming rapidly into the mid to upper 60s. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.
AM Showers
High
70° F
Precip: 60%
Tonight
Partly Cloudy
Low
44° F
Precip: 10%

This is my latest tippy pot plant stand which I just put together yesterday. I need another pot to put beneath the watering can. Either that or I can hammer the pole further into the ground. I just have the watering can balanced on the top but I need to find a way to hang it up there more permanently. I didn't want to put a hole in the bottom of it to slide over the pole. This stand is in my shade garden so I planted it with impatiens and columbines.

Thumbnail by marsue
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The onions, Raspberry and Lily plants are in the soil, The lily bulbs go in this morning.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We actually joked about the labor involved.
Had they allowed just 1/4" more clearance it would have been a 15 minute job.
My take is the cheaper the part the harder the repair.
Have to make money somewhere.....
In their defense it was a 8 dollar part back when the car was new and had 140,000 miles on it so....

Dyson we had an old 70's LTD and the starter went out... in 18" of snow....
We had one bolt 4" long... threaded the whole way.... no way to get a socket in....
1/4 turn at a time w/ a wrench.... took over an hour for that one bolt.
Before I replaced it I ground the threads off except the first and last 3/4".
Took me 10 minutes to throw the whole starter back in.....

Here's a closeup of the Azalea

Thumbnail by henryr10
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Very pretty!! I love Azaleas. Nice pic of that hawk Celia. Awesome!!

(Zone 7a)

60.7 °F with 76º for the high. Woo hoo!!! Going to be in the sun again today.
Clear
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 28 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

I did this yesterday. Vines will be planted to grow up the trellis.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Ric, I'm amazed that your azaleas are blooming already. Mine are still in tight buds. Here's a pretty violet I found. No frost this morning--just down to 34 degrees.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

56° - Bulbs are planted - have to go move furniture (yes that is what triggered the heart attack last month). Mom is too old to move it.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Take care, Dyson!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Son-in-Law will handle the moving. Wife decided after the truck was loaded at the store.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

OK, I posted last night and my post isn't here...grrr! Oh, well, I'l have to catch up with you later..sigh.
It rained tonight and the temps have dropped to 50.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good thinking on your wife's part, Dyson!

Adina: that is so frustrating to think you have posted something and then find that it is not on the thread. You did post on Cubits, though, so maybe that is what you were thinking?

It's been a lovely day here. Rain very early but then it cleared off and the temp didn't get higher than the high 60's with a gentle breeze. I worked in the flower beds for about 4 hours--digging up and separating some plants and getting them potted up for our RU in May. got it all done--for now.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I see that last fall when I dug up and sold some surplus burgundy iris, I also dug up and sent away my "Best Bet". Bummer.

Celia, I love the weeping peach.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on April 19, 2010
73 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 46 °F
Wind: 10 mph from the WNW

some stuff in the yard

Thumbnail by Kelli

"Love"

Thumbnail by Kelli

"Mister Lincoln"

Thumbnail by Kelli

"Brandy"

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lovely Kelli!!
What's the pink flower in the first photo?
No where I've ever visited and I've been to 46 States has roses like Southern California.
You're are perfect!

Wise Move Dyson... ;-)

Cool here today but no breeze so perfect.
Made a run to Lowe's.... punished the car and it did perfectly!.
Started on the shelf and storage units in the Workshop.
Tomorrow I'll do the built ins.
Robyn's replacing the front walk.
The guy who built it didn't use pressure treated lumber so it's rotted out.
Just a simple walk should be done tomorrow.

Ric

High in the 70s with cloudless skies.

Worked outside in the greenhouse all day and I can tell cause my head hurts. LOL. Tomorrow I will have my hat with me. I did have my sunglasses today so my eyes didn't hurt.

Sweet Tea huechera

Thumbnail by pepper23
Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Kelli I love your beautiful Mr. Lincoln Roses! Also I like those lovely blooming heirloom azaleas grown by Henryr10. Those azaleas have the brightest color next to the brick wall.
Well now, we continue our fabulous weather here in northwestern Missouri. I'm enjoying the most gorgeous spring we've had in a long time. Lilacs, fruit trees, flowers, etc. are opened up and stunning to see. Hope everyone is having a great day in there neck of the woods!!
Cuckoo

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Moved a couple ton of dirt & need lots more! This is going on the top. It was dirt left from the house addition.
Going to use this part of the old pond as a top pool where the pump will put the water to start it's way down the stream.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Nice idea Bernie!
Good start going there!

Ric

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

What a project.....but it's already looking very nice! Like those rocks and looks like all different kinds. How's the weather going up north today? It's so splendid here I can hardly believe it.
Cuckoo

Looking great Bernie!!

Hi Cuckoo!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

great photos, Kelli! Beautiful flowers, all. Love the "love" rose! You sent me an iris but it didn't have a name on it. It is getting ready to bloom and I will take a pic when it does and post it here. Maybe you sent your missing iris to me? If so, I will certainly send it back to you. The amaryllis is getting ready to bloom, too. :o))
Ric: it seems that you and Robyn always have a project going!
Pepper: Sweet Tea is nice!
Cuckoo: sounds like lovely weather, indeed!
Bernie: I'm starting to get jealous of all you folk with water features! LOL I love the sound of water flowing softly over the rocks--so soothing.

My front sidewalk and front porch flower beds and pots All that green to the right is not grass--it is Oertel's Rose Yarrow. It will put up stalks with pinkish blooms that turn white as they mature.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2010 8:40 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Say Pepper.....................? What about this weather we are experiencing? It's been nice now for a long time. Cuckoo

Thanks, Ric and Cuckoo. The pink flower is elegant clarkia.

No, Marilyn, the iris I sent you was from a different part of the yard. It is either the burgundy (may be "Indian Chief") or "Jumping". I have the burgundy ones all over the place.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

All the rocks came out of our field or a few from neighboring farm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.