Seed Swap & Chat # 55 - sowing and germination

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

New thread....

we came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1079883/

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Alright gang it's been really nice here for a while now and now it's like 30 degrees outside what is up with that LOL I'm freezing! I was wanting to get back outside today and do some more transplanting from my beds but no it's too cold! The wind was blowing like crazy last night and even blew one of my jugs over that was standing by it's self no damage done though lol

Anyone know if anyone is having a sale on heat mats I need another one :) I'm always fighting a two tray one it's time for another one and this one I have is wearing I do believe there are little white threads showing now :( Going to have to put some electrical tape on it I guess for next year.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

HI Everyone Thought you might like to see the white daffodils blooming. This is the first time I've took picture of them. If you want a closer look just let me know and I'll go take some more. They just opened up pretty today.

Thumbnail by Mindy03
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm getting to see my daphs bloom usually we have a cold snap then the buds are gone I've had them planted for about four years now I think and have seen them bloom twice lol Mindy I'd love a close up of your white ones I've never seen the white ones :) Mine are a yellow with an orange center a friend of mine on here sent them to me.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Me too. I wanna see. I have yellow ones.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes! I'd like to see if I can tell what variety they are!

My little 'Jetfire' Daffs are so bright and cheery!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lea, those 'Pinto Salmon' Geraniums are growing like weeds! I'd never even tried Geraniums from seed before, thinking they'd be slow and fussy. Was I ever wrong!

These split cup Daffodils turn solid white as they age. They're pretty at every stage!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Close up tomorrow. Gemini I hope you can id these because I haven't a clue what they are. I got them free with a order from Gurneys I believe it was. I have yellows ones here as well that belonged to my MIL.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

I think this one is called Ice Follies.

Thumbnail by Patti1957
Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Very pretty! I'll have to take pics of mine tomorrow :)

ants

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Neal love your daphs never knew they had two toned ones like those but I’m not much on planting bulbs I have that big purple allium (sp?) coming up out back right now I should move it never think it’s going to make another year in the vole bed or oops excuse me my middle flower bed out back lol Geraniums do grow fast and mine are looking pretty nice about now glad you are happy with them :) I have over 50 of them growing I knew I had a lot but started counting as I was watering them yesterday and oh my I think I may have went over board a little! I am planning on selling some though to help finance my habit lol

I’ll take a picture of a bloom of mine tomorrow evening if I remember and the frost doesn’t mess with the bloom. A good friend sent me mine they have an orange middle but they aren’t as long in the middle as yours and Patti’s, Patti BTW I love your white one too it’s really pretty!

LOL Mindy has started something now :)

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Here you go a close up of the bloom.
Now Lea, I was just showing the ones who got some of those bulbs from me in the piggy swap what they look like LOL. I can't help it if everyone is crazy for pictures around this place.

Thumbnail by Mindy03
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL Mindy I should have asked for some of those bulbs but knowing I only get to see them just every other year just about it's such a waste in my book my weather is just not right for daphs it seems, I hate missing out on those pretty little blooms! It's so frustrating! I just took a look at mine and looks like the cold got them last night when I put my dog out this morning there was ice in his water bucket!

I just took some Jester's Jacket geranium starts earlier this week I hope they are ok!

Your daphs are really pretty! Looks like the one behind the one you are showing is orange in the center like mine might be just the way the camera just took the picture but mine are yellow with orange in the middle I'm liking these white ones :) All the ones I see around here are yellow so different to see white ones for me :)

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

There something about daffs that ya just can't but smile. Makes ya wanna be free and wild when your walking in a field of them. There a guy down one road that over the years they have multiplied in a field and it so pretty to see. Makes you want to stop yoru car and get out and go pick a boquet of them. LOL

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Lea some of them have a light yellow center. When I first got them they were solid white but mixed with the yellow ones over the years and now I have white with a yellow center. The yellows here are the solid yellow ones. DH always picks me a big bouquet of them as soon as there's enough open. Both the yellow and white are fragant. One of my sisters has a white with pink center that I'm dying for but she keeps saying not yet not enough to share POUT.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I understand that Mindy I've had mine for a few years now and they haven't multiplied that much at all.

We have them on the side of the road out here years and years ago when I was a kid this guy out here planted a bunch on this hill side to say USA but now it's just a bunch of daphs can't hardly tell that's what it said you can a little if you know what you are looking for.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I finally took some pics today of my "flat"

I'm not really good at this , in the house sowing thing... but i give it a GO every year.. i have a heat mat and flats, so why not?

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here are my tomatoes ...

the tallest ones are Napoli Roma [yum]
the first cell has 2 San Marzanos... one is struggling to survive ... i moved it a scosh, gave it soil and a few squirts of my "tonic".

the back 3 sells are Maestro Beef ... out of 6 seeds, i have 4 plants. [i put 2 seeds in each of the 5 cells... I have no idea what i'm going to do with 8 tomato plants, plus i have some winter sowing -- no germination yet though.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is ONE cell with the Electric Blue ... [Lea and I have just been calling it EB, so if you see that, you know what we are talking about... not Ella's Brain.]

How any do you see in this cell??

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I think the only seeds that have NOT germinated yet are...

Black Eyed Susan Vine, 5 cells - 10 seeds total
Black and Blue Salvia - 2 sells
Lambs Tail, Joey - 5 cells.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Mindy, I'm pretty sure those are 'Ice Follies'- such a great Daffodil!

Lea, sounds like something to do with the cultivar(s) of Daffs you've got- sounds like they're not suited to grow that far north, but loads of them perform like troupers even further north. Those tough varieties bloom and don't mind cold temps while blooming.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Gemini, I love the split cup Daffodils, the blooms look petunia-like.

TCS, nice job on your seedlings :) I hope to get more seeds planted today.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

WaHooo Terese looks like eight to me looks like one in the lower right hand corner popping up to if I'm not mistaken, you go girl! I didn't notice the stems looking white on mine they look to be green but it's easier to see them on your picture and blow it up to 150% LOL Not fair I know mine aren't coming up all at once! Mine started germinating 3-6 and are still going lol

Terese I wondered why you don't grow seeds in the house always thought you did until you made the comment that you didn't much I can see why probably because you are out of town so much and if your son can't keep a real plant alive your seedlings would surely be gone lol

The blooms came out later yesterday but they were all shriveled up in the morning Neal lol Didn't realize they did that they are from Pirl on here so they may not be suited for here she is in NY by Cape Cod I think :) The yellow ones people have planted on the sides of the road the weather doesn't seem to phase so you may be right.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi wind :)

We are getting storms today so I hope to get caught up on some seeds today too picked out my hibiscus seeds last night to start soaking I always forget those lol Going to try how Robynznest does hers with the boiling water haven't tried that yet :)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

WhoopWhoop

I've got a B&B seedling... must have just poked up last night.... but there is greenery!!

I'm also getting a bit of mold. I may put the flat downstairs in the basement, [so i can take the dome off] as that is the only place Charlie does not go. Anywhere else and he will certainly eat all my seedlings.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Cool congradulations mommy!

That poor baby if you fed him once in a while he wouldn't eat your seedlings LOL I have to keep mine downstairs too :)

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Just went running out in a hail storm to rescue a flat of babies. This was the second night I was going to let them stay out, and we started getting 1/2" hail all of a sudden! The rest are on shelves or under an umbrella, but one was out in the open! Family was greatly amused. Luckily, storms should turn to rain by bedtime, so maybe I can sleep!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

hahahahhaahha Tcs.. Can't tell your not excited or anything are ya. LOL Congrats!

KL.... Don't they know just how important them babies are that we will risk life and limb , rain and even hail to save them. : ) Glad ya remembered them and got them in.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Persistence pays off! Congrats Terese!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 12:32 PM

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Kelly, your a Hero, saving plant lives! Your my kind of person!

Congrats tcs, let us know if it blooms the first year.

Going to look at Neals ......

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yippee! Can't think of a better gardening topic for our GeminiSage! Off to check it out ... Thanks!

KL, kudos for saving those seedlings! I've done the same, and yes, DH chuckles.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I love Neals. You've all go to go see it!
Oh, and I've asked for help in one of his areas, so I'm expecting some ... hint, hint

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I think i found your post... you're "toomany" over there, right?

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

yeah, that's me. Used to have toomany, now I have toofew. ☺
Here's my only . (I know I've shown this photo before, but it's the best picture of him I have, he doesn't seem to pose well for me.)

Thumbnail by toofewanimals
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh ... he is gorgeous!! Love those markings.

I was never a cat person, until we got Charlie.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh Neal that herbs in the cottage garden forum is right up my alley for this year I'm starting a new experiment with herbs and voles for this year and will need help and suggestions on what herbs to put there to maybe deter the voles some people have problems with the deer, mine is getting to be the darn voles lol

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Sharron I have a kitty like that except for the markings are closer together she reminds me of a coat my mom used to have then sometimes of an owl in the face? lol Esp. when she holds her ears back when she is upset lol

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Lea, I've seen that look before! LOL

Ella, you sent me 25 seeds of pink freesong snapdragon ... I just came up from the basement and 23 have germinated!!!!! I'll be having tall pink snapdragons this spring ... well, since I planted them so late it will be late spring.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I wonder why i can't grow Snaps...

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I got some snaps i need to get transplanted soon, Some look like they trying to make some buds on them. A few gonna need to get some wide lightweight bird fencing or string up to keep them from falling over.

what ya doing to your snaps tcs? I start mine in the tiny cell trays and in a baggy. lay on kitchen table under just regular kitchen bulb light 24/7 til they sprout.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.