Squirrel Pics Vol. 14

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

What an adorable shot, VA_Wild_Rose!

Melbourne, FL

That is a cute shot. Here is a similar one.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Absolutely darling, gardenpom. Your pics are astounding!

Who in their right mind wouldn't think these guys are cute.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I glanced out my kitchen window this afternoon just in time to see. . . . a tiny ground squirrel chasing a much larger squirrel from one of my "feeder stations" to the Ash tree about 30 feet away!! Really. Yes, I'm dead serious. No, I didn't get a picture.

Besides, even if I was that quick, which I'm not - they'd have looked like two ants with my 3x optical zoom.

It was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while, though.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots everyone!! Been awhile since Ive posted a squirrel shot. This one was having a nap.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

? Is he sucking his thumb?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Great catch Burd...so cute!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Aww Burd, that's to sweet.
Nuts, that must of been fun to watch!!!
GP, that's a nice clear shot.
Wild-Rose, great shot, he must be use to you, if he was coming down that tree toward you.
I don't have a Squirrels, but a chipmunk.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Sandusky, OH

Nice shot Burn! I think your Chipmonk knows a few squirrel's though by that look he's giving. lol

Melbourne, FL

Thanks. Here's an even closer one.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Cute chippie burn...as long as it is at YOUR house! LOL
I am having my usual war with one here.

That is so good GP!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Really cute, Burd! Looks so inocent.

Your Chipmunk is darling, burn! Do they dig under everything like ground squirrels?

Just so, so sweet, gardenpom! You can almost count the hairs.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Burd, burn, and gardenpom...

Those last three are so cute!

The chippies are out in force now that the weather is warm!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I have had to cut back on what I put out for the birds so not as much for the foragers either here at Morgan's Diner!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

They keep you very busy eh Nanny? ;)

Well, I declared the Chippie Romper Room offficially open today. Had a pair of young ones running around chasing each other in the backyard today! lol

Another shot of the one that was in the shrub the other day.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Not too many squirrles around so far this summer.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Sandusky, OH

Nice shots GP and Nanny!! I have found a fourth Robin nest knocked out of a tree...and I think I know who the culprit is now...one of my adult squirrel's. Only thing I can think of is that they want to eliminate the competition. Ive never seen this before though. All the nest's had unhatched egg's.

That is so sad about your nests....not much you can do about it I guess.

It has been unusually hot & humid here. This one was just hangin' out & chillin'.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

Squirrels eat the eggs too.
Nice one nanny!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

You got several really great shots, nanny!

BTW, how are you liking your new Canon SX20-IS? Also, are you using a tripod for the long shots or just holding the camera?
I'm starting to research info & reviews on about a handfull of different Super-zooms so I can take more pics of birds & critters. I've looked into the Digital SLR's that some of the DG members use, but an SLR is out of my price range.

So sorry about your robin's nests, Burd. It is unusual. I find eggs on occasion, but no nests.

I am really liking the SX-20. It took some getting used to from my old Fuji. At first I wasn't real sure, but now I wouldn't trade for anything! I don't use a tripod at all. I am sure if I went SLR I would have too because of my balance issues due to vertigo. ANd I am still learning on this one....I forget to change ISO a lot and what a difference that can make! But sometimes you just have a bad day filled no matter what equipment you have!

My DH has tried and tried to talk me into a SLR but I just can't justify spending all that much money on lenses and body plus other accessories I would want...like a tripod!

Take your time and do lots of reading and then go to a store and try a few out at the store. See how they feel in your hand look at the set up of the buttons. All of that is important.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much for the info, nanny. That really helps me a lot.

Your DH sounds like a great guy, but I agree with you on the expense part. I still have a very old Nikon SLR film camera (built like a tank - heavy as a tank) purchased years ago when I started really getting into photography. The problem was the lenses & other accessories were so expensive I never ended up buying much for it. I haven't used it in years so I don't even know why I keep it.

Digital SLR's are definitely tempting & the quality of the shots can be incredible, but they are expensive - particularly if you want lenses that allow you to shoot birds & other wildlife.

The new "point & shoot, super-zoom" digitals seem to be impressing a lot of people & they're getting better all the time.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2010 8:32 AM

Sandusky, OH

Nice shot Nanny!

Well this lil guy and his sibling are on their own now as the mother met her fate trying to cross the road. But I think their far enough along that they should be fine.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

say hello to everyone...

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Melbourne, FL

Beautiful shots, Burd!

Marlton, NJ

Burd, Those are adorable!

I hear they are trainable Burd...very cute. I am sure they willl be fine too.

Melbourne, FL

Short-tail is still around.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Shot at the feeder.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Wow...how long has short -tail been there now GP?. None of mine seem to live very long here. But there are lots of predators here.

I had 3 have this evil things romping in the yard yesterday! LOL

One really enjoys climbing the tree. I think this is the one that is coming over from the woods. It is goin gdown to the bird feeder. If this continues I will have to remove the feeder as safflower is to expensive to feed the chippies.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2010 1:40 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

One of our live in residents....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

this one sunning on the back deck...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I even had a squirrel of all things...LOL!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Melbourne, FL

Seems like he's been here at least 3 years, nanny. I still wonder what happened to his tail. Probably a close call with a car tire.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2010 7:52 PM

That is amazing....I have only had a couple that I was able to track from fall onto summer one year. Most don't seem to make it from season to season let alone years!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I really like the second one you've posted nanny. If he would have had more paws , he could have covered his ears.`( See no evils speak no evils, hear no evil). lol

LOL!!!^_^

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Every time I see short tail I have to wonder how he does so well. You think it would make it hard for him to jump and fly from spot to spot. You would think missing part of his tail would put him off balance.

My chippie s are all out and having fun too. I do so enjoy them, but sure hate stepping on their trails. I wish I could figure out where their main nesting home is, so that when I have to start digging the back area I don't dig or cover up their nest. Anybody know what to look for to find the main home?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.