2010 Garden Photos - Part 2

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hyacinth.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

Scilla??? I always mix it up with Glory of the Snow.

What cool bark?!! Sarah's Favorite crape.

JM Kashima opening.

Mophead hydrangea.

Flowering quince.

Any ideas?? I know it's a minor bulb. Tiny flowers.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looks like my blue bells.. but it's not blue

Don't think so.

Here is deodar cedar with nandina in the background.

Lilac bud.

Last - hellebore.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am still waiting for a bud to open.. the stinky one might be today

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow Victor. Nice. I have a daffodil, some reticulated iris and glory of the snow ready to go soon, other than that just crocuses so far.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice victor!

early for a jm to be opening

Thanks. Yes, that's the only one already opening, Bill. First spring with that one, as I planted it last year. It is sheltered and gets east and south sun.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have three in the garage starting to open - to much heavy lifting to bring them out and bring back in if we get another cold spell - hope yours does well - great shot btw

Thanks.

Thomaston, CT

Very nice! Loved Patti's collage, & Victor, you're way ahead of us...my hyacinths are not showing any color at all...is the white flower Star of Bethlehem? The blue looks like chinodoxia.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Very nice Victor!
The white flower, is it one I sent you? If so it's most likely hepatica. It a native woodland flower.

Don't think so, Celeste. It's in an area I planted with Brent & Becky fall sale bulbs.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Victor, I think i found it.........
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/39289/

That does look like it! Thanks!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

good job Celeste!!!. my squil is like that with a blue stripe

Sounds like something edible.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I have a narcissus plus some other goodies today. No Scilla mischtschenkoana showing yet or Hyacinth. Victor, if you don't use electric blankets, do you have polar fleece hoodies for your plants? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice shots there patti - looks like someone was crawling on the ground to get those!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice job Patti!!

Very nice, Patti!

Wow - 'Negro Boy'!! Think it's time for a name change there. Ugh.

I said before - I have a giant magnifying glass. ^_^

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I was not on the ground, but I used a feature that lets you do Macro from far away. No bending needed. My back was killing me from all the yard work. Loved it, no matter the soreness. Some more blooms today.

Victor, you got that right. as noted in the Old House Gardens.

Quoting:
Its name may be a troubling anachronism, but this old crocus is too special to let go extinct. It’s the world’s deepest, darkest crocus, with midnight purple petals set off by a heart of gold and a tiny edging of silver. All but lost, it was preserved by one far-sighted collector in Latvia. C. vernus, zones 4-7, from Holland

I got it from McClure and Zimmerman 24 for 7.50. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Yes, really.

That's cheating, Patti! You have to crawl. ^_^

Been meaning to ask - did you ever post pics from your trip to S. Africa?? I don't recall seeing them.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I haven't yet. I had to put together a huge number of labeled photo's for my Mom's 95th, as my cousin got her one of the picture frames that hold 5000 photo's and as he downloaded all kinds of old scanned photo's of my Mom and his Mom, my mothers little sister (age 92) along with tons of old family photo's, I had to do the same. Mom loved it. I am photo-ed out. I will get to them soon. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Reticulated iris is me come fall. Scheepers has them and B&Beckys too .
Nice Leopard Patti!!
What a great garden ornament that would be.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Gardens are really bare now. I am waiting for the new Giant crocus to open.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

patti i remember your camera died in a tragic fall - what camera are you using now? pictures look great.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wha, Thanks, actually the camera survived much to my surprise as it went flying and landed hard. The lens cape stayed on. but my leg still has a big patch that is scarred and sore way more than a month later. Those pictures in South Africa were taken before the fall. Here is a photo taken with it from yesterday. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Patti! That iris is on my list. I have seen it in J Scheepers and Brent and Becks.
Did you get those bulbs from either one?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Ge1836, I bought that one from Van Engelen 15 for 5.25 as they are often cheaper than their retail company , J.Scheepers. But I have bought Iris reticulata from Brent and Becky, Eflowergarden, Touch of Nature, McClure and Zimmerman and a few other places too. Prices vary greatly from vendor to vendor. Bulbs have all been good from any of those sources. Patti

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I noticed the price diff. from Scheepers to Brent and B.
I assumed the bulbs were smaller. But if thats not the case I will put a note in my Daybook to check Van Engelen.I used to buy bulbs from them.
It wouldnt bother me to have many.
Thanks.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Ge1836, don't kill me but the pre-season annual sale has started for 2010 fall bulbs at Brent and Becky. It always pays for my shipping. My order is all ready to send. I am ordering more I.histrioides 'George' and I. histrioides 'Frank Elder' along with too many other things to mention this early. They have some great new Narcissus too.

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/

Quoting:
You definitely want to take advantage of the early order discount! Place your order by the end of business on July 1st, 2010 (12:00 AM/Midnight, Eastern time) and receive a 5% discount on your bulb order! Pay for your order when you place it and receive an additional 5%, or 10% off! For many of you, this could offset your shipping charges!

They do have I. histrioides 'Katherine Hodgkin' 10 For $6.10 Patti

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I did it last year patti...will again this year i think. I need frank also. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.