RU Thoughts

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Celene, I lost my variegated African violet you gave me. You couldn't start me a leaf could you. I can give you some organic pastured eggs for one.
Geo

Columbus, OH

I'll bring you one! I also have some heirloom tomato and Italian heirloom pepper seeds for your traveling companion if you want ;)

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

I had close to 100 African violets before the heart surgery and lost all except 5. Couldn't care for them properly. I can't thank you for the plant(granny rule), but can't wait to add it to my new beginning collection.
Geo

Crossville, TN

OH I got excited that I might be able to make it this year....I plan to go to the one in VA...June 26th...so I thought to myself...Self...You could fly to Nashville...visit son in Crossville...have son take me to Mystics...then ride with her and ride on to VA with Darius!! (and visit family after getting to Darius....*sigh*...Heck!...I could still make it work if Darius will give me a ride to Wytheville...so I can catch a bus for Beckley....HMMMM...or WV Daisy could drop me at a bus station some where so I could get to Beckley....if she is coming.

HELP! Jo

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Jo, you KNOW my Farmer's Ferrari will take you for a ride to Wytheville, or even to Edna's, don't know how far Beckley is, but I might even do that!

Crossville, TN

Darius...that would work great...It would mean that I would extend my trip by a week...which I told my dog I wouldn't do...but she'll forgive me...If I can't get a good bus schedule from Wytheville to Beckley, my nephew would come over there to pick me up...it's about 60 miles from Bluefield over to Beckley...On I-77.

I'll work on the new destination...LOL Jo

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Jo, seems like someone told me there's a garden shop in Beckley that's a MUST to visit. Is that so?

Crossville, TN

Idon't know...I'll check that out. Jo

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Soooo???? I'm gone a week and everyone dries up?

June 12th is fine with me.

Since Steamboat is the only place I've ever been to an RU, I love it there, but like I've said before....I'll go any place you want to have it!

If anyone is interested in an "afterglow" party, my house will be available for it again this year. There's always the garden tour x 2 with Bertie's house thrown in!

I'm a mile from the I-75 Franklin exchange, exit 36, so it's easy to find and quick to get on the road again if you're traveling the highway.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, soccer will be over by then I think but this year I have 2 playing softball....hopefully I can make it to one or the other....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I hope you can make it, Chele...you had to miss last year!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'd love to go to Armco park, or whatever they're calling it now.. I was abt to call it "Old Armco Park," but that's where Miami University Middletown is now. Formerly known as Bunny Hollow-- so when the Miami branch opened up we smart alecks started calling it Bunny Hollow Tech.
I think they have the foot paddle boats for rent a Armco/Warren county park. That would be a hoot!

I can offer shelter & an air bed for people who don't mind a smoky house-- my sister smokes.
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

OK here's the deal.
We had to get a place now as the Parks, etc reservations are filling up rapidly.

RU Date:
Saturday June 12, 2010 starting at 10 AM.

PLACE:
Armco Park
Warren County, OH.

http://cincinnati.metromix.com/leisure/recreation_facilities/warren-county-armco-park-turtlecreek-township/1265572/content

It's easily accessible from I-71 & I-75.

Don't have a signed contract currently so I won't give the Shelter # and such just yet.

Some Park Rules:
No Pets! (their ! not mine) Obviously Service Dogs and Chickens don't apply.

No Carry In Alcohol....
They sell bottled beer and wine coolers in advance.
Contact me if you want any 10 days advance notice must be given.
There's a list of available brands.
And not that I think we will.... but they have 1/4, 1/2 and full Kegs

We will have Electricity and are very close to the Restrooms.
Don't know if they are Handi-capable or not just yet.

If you have any questions give me a holler.....

Ric

Columbus, OH

I'll mark it on my calendar.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ric thanks for thinking of Josie in the pets rule... I hope I can make it!

Crossville, TN

I'm still working on coming....Jo

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm planning on coming and I'm so thankful for the not so early morning start time, as it is I'm gonna have to get up at 6:00 am so I can be there. Looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully my ws will produce many plants so I will have lots to trade. As we get closer I'll list what I have available and see what is of interest to folks.

thank Ric for you work on this.

So now are we all bringing dishes for us to eat? Not sure what the rules are as I've never been to one before so please let me know what I need to bring.

I also once we know who for sure is coming I'll be happy to do name tags for everyone.

Janet

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Janet 10 AM is just the earliest time we can get to our Shelter.
Most people stagger in around 11.
We usually don't eat until at least noon -12:30

Ric

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

gooddddddddd

thanks Ric, so if I don't get there till 11 that would be ok?

Janet

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yep!
Just try to be there before lunch....lol!

Ric

(Zone 5b)

My first RU, I'm counting the days, so excited can't wait to meet everyone!

Meadowyck, I think name tags are a great idea.

Food... what to bring??

Annie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ric

what is the name of the town, I can't get map quest to give me directions... it doesn't understand co. names....LOL

Jan(et)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Look up Lebanon, Ohio.

I think it's actually closer for me and an area I'm familiar with. :) Don't know what the sports schedule is yet though.

If it's where I'm thinking it is, it's darn close to my friends, the Bachmans over at Valley of the Daylilies.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hmmmmm..Chele..I was thinking Middletown???? Really????? Lebanon??
Just asking...as I haven't checked yet...LOL!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, Google actually pulls up 2 for me: Lebanon 45036 and Middletown 45032.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's East of 75 , on 741. Between Otterbein College and St Rt 63 I think it is.
Google
Armco Park Warren OH then open the map tag 'A'

Ric

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I stand kind of corrected Marcy. LOL I guess it's half way between Middletown and Lebanon. How did we get from the old place to there? Nothing in between? :P Heck, I liked the place Melissa used to reserve. They are all an hour or so for me.

Crossville, TN

Goodness....I thought I was going to Cincy!! Chelle...how far is this from Crossville, TN?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Awww I was just thinking...Armco...the company used to be in Middletown....didn't it? LOL...doesn't mean the park is there does it? Duhhh. What do I know?????

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Jo, I think it's about 40 minutes from Cincinnati. I'm waiting for details and sports schedules so I can figure out what I'm doing. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Steamboat was booked and is currently under water.
Woodland Mound Park had a few others open but they were either a longer hike from car to the shelter or a car ride to the restrooms.
Sharon Woods is a PITA anymore.
The other Hamilton County Parks are a far longer drive for about everyone
or in areas I don't feel are safe.

Old Armco Park was in Middletown.
The newer one has been recently remodeled and is very easy to get to off either 71 or 75 as I said.
I'll get a map ready to show the best routes.

As Chelle said 40 minutes north of Cincy.
But you run straight thru Cincy instead of heading east to where to last year's was.
So maybe 20 minutes further from Crossville.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We probably can't make it this year. I guess everything's in the air for a bit and we'll have to play it by ear.

Crossville, TN

OH NO! I was looking forward to seeing ya'll and your DM..my friend, Lostusblossum. Jo

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

How much farther will it be this year for us Hoosiers?? Do we bypass the city traffic at Cincy? Thanks, Lou

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Lou, do you usually come across 74? You will take exit Rt. 63 or the Morrow city exit toward Lebanon. Not sure where you're located in IN, but you will definitely miss the Cincy traffic if you come across 74.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lou it looks like about 2 hours for you.
But 74 to 275 to 75N misses most of the Cincy traffic

Columbus, OH

GW, if having a ride will help, let us know. You can ride in the purple HHR, I know you like the retro style :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, Have you said anything about the price to rent Armco or if people need parking passes? I've been popping in and out.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

No parking passes it appears.
We just drove right in.... but I'll double check.

The Rental Fee for the shelter is about 1/3 the current cost of Steamboat.
Steamboat is now $125. Armco is $45.

Ric

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That's good! I think Chilo is $50 so you're back in the ballpark. Is it going to be much farther for the KY folks?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.