How's the weather where you live?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 294 votes:

Things are just starting to turn green and Spring is around the corner!
(107 votes, 36%)
Red dot

Same as always since we do not have four seasons ( hot, dry, wet? Tell us!)
(4 votes, 1%)
Red dot

It is still cold and wintery where I live.
(138 votes, 46%)
Red dot

I'm south of the Equator, so it is almost Autumn
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Rain, rain, rain. I've had more than my share!
(26 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Hot and dry.
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Other. (Tell us!)
(16 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

cold and wintery is an understatement

Thumbnail by onewish1

Just starting to turn green here, but not a moment too soon.

Middleburgh, NY

This past week we got 6 feet of snow! Albany is 45 miles away and they got rain. We are in the mountains west of Albany.

Thumbnail by herbalbetty
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Rain, rain, rain. And more snow than we normally see too. Most unusual but I won't complain. We've been way too dry in years past.

And I know one of these rains will be the "greening" rain. The one that will make all the buds pop open and the woods come alive.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Should be spring now, but staying wintery after the coldest winter for 25 years. At least there's no snow lying on the ground.

Resin

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Snow is still 2 feet on the level & up to 10 ft deep in the drifts & piles.
Our area was 10º colder than northern MN yesterday because of the snow pack.
Next thing here is flooding!
Bernie

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Still buried under snow and waiting to get our power back. Trees are down everywhere. Where is spring?

Fresno, CA(Zone 9a)

Were still getting some rain but we have been having some great spring like days. The tulips are all coming up and getting ready to bloom. The bananas and cannas are all popping up and the hyasinths are blooming. Trees every were in full bloom. I would say its spring time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

We're enjoying an early spring in the Pacific NW. Lots of new growth and that vibrant spring green all around. Robins and blackbirds have arrived and the frogs are singing. Rain of course, but wonderful mild sunny days in between.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

The Dallas area is already ahead of the game as far as yearly rainfall, and that's a good thing. They are predicting an abundance of fat bluebonnets this year from all the moisture: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030110dnmetwildflowers.3c98549.html

It's been an unusually long, cold, wet winter here, but we were due. I've probably lost a few landscape plants...that just means I can buy new ones!

Pretoria, South Africa

I'm south of the equator - the mornings are notably chilly. We have had lower-on-average temperatures this past summer. I wonder what winter is going to be like...

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Saw the first robins yesterday but it's still nasty here. Not much snow left on the ground but still dreary and cool. Daffodils are peaking up a little.

Doug

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

We've had an unseasonably warm late winter. Normally we'd be complaining about the rain. The Olympics should have been called the 2010 Vancouver Spring Olympics instead. Everything is about 2 weeks ahead or so. I'm just itchin' to get out and do Magnolia bloom pics.

Here's the Olympic & Paralympic clock with a Purple Leaf Plum (Prunus cerasifera 'Nigra') blooming.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 11:00 AM

Thumbnail by growin
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Still a lot of snow cover but expected to warm up a little.

SUN CITY WEST, AZ(Zone 9a)

We still have 3 ft. of snow/ice here in Anchorage but the days are getting longer by 5 plus minutes per day so it won't be long b4 the temps start climbing into the 40's. Two more months b4 we start planting outside. We have a mini greenhouse so we can start some plants, (tomatoes, peppers, etc. ) in the house. The cost of heating our greenhouse is too much so we will heat it up the first of May and transfer everything then.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

No robins yet, they would have to wear winter underwear. Did see a flock of geese though but they were circling, looking for an open field where they might find food. Only snow and more snow.
We are hoping the temps will get above the 40 degree mark soon. It has been 90 days so far that the temp was doing good to get into the thirties. Anybody want some snow, I would even help you load it.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Pollen is already in the air. Trees are budding out and some are blooming. Centipede grass is just starting to turn green underneath the brown stuff. Still, all of February was below normal temperatures for the whole month!!! Hopefully, March will bring normal temperatures!

Dickson, TN

We've had a colder than normal winter with 4 snows. We usually only get one and really get more ice than snow. But we've also had some warm weather 50s to 60. Daffodils are up about 6 inches and the Robins have been around for a couple of weeks now. Can't wait for spring!

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Winter was almost non-existent here this year. We had 10 days in December with record breaking cold tempts. Then we didn't even have a hint of frost again until early February. Once frost returned, it's only been light frosts overnight. 50's and 60's during the day. We've had some rain but there's been a lot of dry days too. So I've been able to work out in the gardens sense mid January. All my daylilies are up and growing. Spring bulbs and trees are blooming. I've seen bees during the day and moths at night. I wish it was like this every year.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Our weather is messed up! It hasn't been normal since they built the Alaska pipeline! lol!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Robins actually pulling worms from the ground. Flower bulbs sprouted a few inches above ground. Grand-daughter chased by a wasp the other day. Wearing my lightest coat and no hat or gloves. Also wearing sneakers; instead of boots. Outside dogs water remains liquid.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

This has been the coldest winter on record for a long time here in South Florida. We have had quite a few episodes where we would wake up to temperatures in the lower 40 degrees Farenheit. Many gardeners have suffered substantial losses to collections that had been established decades ago. But we are a resilient bunch. Some things will sprout back. Others won't. Those will be replaced soon enough and we'll keep on gardening, business as usual.

Sylvain.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Still plenty of snow on the ground.
Some days are getting warmer (30's to low 40's) but the nights are still cold.

No green yet...and if there were, the frosty nights would turn it brown!

Spring will arrive...it always does!

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Sunday was +2 Celsius - the first time it has been above zero since before Christmas. Today -4 C. We're probably in for a few weeks of alternate thaw and freeze. Very dangerous, as it makes for very slippery roads. Record snowfall this year will take a long while to melt; and since the ground will still be frozen to a depth of several inches will lead to flooding in places. Over a metre of snow covering my flowerbeds.

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Nan's got it right - and us Wisconsinites are happy to see temps FINALLY above freezing, at least during the day! From Early December to just last week, I think there had been maybe what...five, six...days of 32*+ weather?
Mom's Naked Ladies are popping from their snug right-by-the-house bed, and I can't wait for the thunderstorms!
That's neat to think that Finland, nearly half a world away, has the same weather we do!
Come On Spring!

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Still winter around here but not as bad as it could be. Heavy rains just a few days ago would have been a foot of snow if it was a couple of degrees colder. Still some snow on the ground and expecting a few more inches over the next 24 hours. On the bright side, someone I talked to today said her crocusus had just begun poking out of the ground (why not mine?).

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Cold and wintery. But...
Rumor has it we'll actually hit 40 degrees F tomorrow, and 50 by the weekend! We haven't seen 50 since December 1st, and only saw 40 4 times since then.
On a positive note, I *think* I saw a tulip and a daffodil sprout along the house where the snow melted from the reflected sunlight

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

We have had some rain this year, which we needed since we are so far below in rain fall totals over the last few years.
We have not had excessive cold this Winter so our plants are starting to leaf out and our trees too, I have those darn elm seeds all over the place.

Don't hate me. We have had an odd day or so in the 80's and mostly it is about 68.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Just noticed yesterday that the snowdrops have bloomed. : )

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Signs of spring in little rock are finally here. Lots of buds on camelias, carolina jasmine, star magnolia, okie red bud,
and my witch hazel is now rockin'. Speaking of robins, my backyard and truck look like a chicken coop.

We'll have temps in the mid 50s for the rest of week, and 60s this weekend. Just in time for the Little Rock marathon.

Thumbnail by diggo1
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Diggo1, I'm in the mountains NW of you and no green up here yet. You give me hope! We finally have some sunshine tho.
Vickie

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

It is that "hinting of spring" time of year here. The mosses are greening up and there is the barest hint of green in the grasses. Flower buds on the trees are swelling a bit and promise that the drought is over and we will have a beautiful spring after all. The really big hint of spring is that the birds are singing their spring songs and are just much more active. So thankful to hear them even on snowy days singing so loudly after a quiet winter ♥

South Hamilton, MA

Where there is snow to the west of us, we have been having mostly rain. What we really had was near hurricane force winds which knocked power out from Thurs night to sunday morning. Can hear wind now. 2 snowdrops where I usually look for them, but as snow disappeared next to front porch I saw the other batch of snowdrops and the green starts of a spider DL. I suppose warnth bounced off the house as it is a silly thing for a DL to do.

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

The last two days have held out hope. Surely Spring will happen!!

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

YiPPPEEEE- THE SANDHILL CRANES ARE HERE!
Temps in the near 40's means the Tema-blanket comes off - shedding out is a sure sign that Spring Is Here! (dancing around) And about time!
Now about this snow still hanging around...the next ten days are supposed to be above 37*, so goodbye white stuff (more dancing). I'll take rain over snow - no shoveling!

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I've lived in Zanesville, OH since 1983. This year is the most snow over the longest period I've ever seen here. Usually we have ice and extreme cold to deal with verses snow fall. But I grew up in Cleveland, OH, so I find it interesting how snow shuts everything down here.

South Hamilton, MA

I haven't seen such exotic birds around here as yet (replace cranes with blue herons). DD's horse is a woolly mammoth in the winter & is not ready to shed out as yet. But life is better for all. snowing big flakes at the moment but they will not stick. Still we can keep an eye on removing leaves from the flower beds & come April the winter pine needle mulch from the iris seedlings. Rain is fine, cold I dislike. Having lived in the 'sunny south' compared to WI childhood, I don't take cold as well.

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

It has been a relatively easy winter on the down east coast of Maine, no plowable snow since January! When the mid Atlantic area had their 30+ inches of snow - it rained here - Hard! Except for a light dusting of snow over night, the ledges and ground are mostly bare - other than the remains of the snow banks and shaded areas in the woods. It is getting into the 30's in the daytime. The ground is still frozen hard. We still have the potential for snow in to April. April is a winter month here. No robins in sight yet.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Wildflowers just starting to bloom. Had a few days in the 70's can't wait for it to get warmer and stay nice and warm. At my high altitude and low humidity 70 is still jacket weather. We will have some more cold before it gets there though. I have larkspurs and poppies that have reseeded all over my courtyard and are about 5 inches tall now. So Spring will be beautiful here as always. Our cold winter and lots of snow/rain(so ready to be over that!) will make for lots of beautiful cactus blooms in the desert and in my yard. I love Spring!

This message was edited Mar 5, 2010 3:22 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.