CLOSED: Grab Bag of Mixed Seeds For Sabe

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh no I understood but it feels better for me when I'm sending some and especially when they will be in a wildflower garden. just love those..

Janet

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Well, give it some time..... I have a funny postal department, that is why I mail from work in Wichita.. okay, I just pulled the huge blanket bag full of seeds out of one of the cars... I keep them in the trunks to stratify, since my garage is full of boxes.
I am keeping this offer open until I have enough of a dent in them to give me some sanity. I guess I thought I would be flowering the world some day or something. Bleah...

Thumbnail by joeswife

Uhm... I really have too many seeds.. I have all my seeds I am planting out of this batch.. I prolly can send quart size ziplock bags full to at least 6 people at this point..and then some..

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Darla) Dubuque, IA(Zone 5a)

Got my envie today !! Can't wait to start planting. Should be a wonderful surprise come July.

Thanks,
Darla

This message was edited Mar 11, 2010 10:37 PM

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

K I will send out an envie tomorrow.

Thanks,
Steph

I am glad everyone is getting their seeds.. I hope come July, you will see some of these...
I am mailing out 4 bags tommorrow.. thanks for sending the bubbles..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Galien, MI

Thanks, Debra. I wasn't sure which size bubble to send. And that outer envelope.....you know that moment when you realize you don't have exactly what you need, and your choices are to make do with what you have, or practically do a double back flip to get exactly what it should have? I was completely there! LOL
LJ

Well, I sent you the bubble inside, LJ, but I kept the other in case I wanted to refill you..
recieved a bubble from Jan..
Butterflys love these coneflowers..watch out for the stickers tho, if you break them apart to get the nuts out, wear gloves.

Thumbnail by joeswife

These are one of my favorite prenniels.. I made sure there were some of these in the bags. Put them in a spot to keep them in, or like me, in a large container, and easy to divide in the fall that way..
I am trying to give you baggie takers a look see at what is in those bags. Hope you don't mind the pics. The seeds to these are dark brown almost black and look like little flecks of pepper only straight instead of round. But then, so do alot of the others ..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

you mean it finally came?

Janet

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Debra, You outta save that March 11th Butterfly shot and submit it next year for the calendar. Your blooms are so cheery, love seeing every one after the miserable Winter we've been through. Hope you keep em coming.
Susan

Well, I just came in for buffalo burgers and sausage links and hot dogs Dh joe grilled while I worked my tail off outside.
I have oodles of these coming up right now, one of my favorites.. Pink Penstamon.. I put as many seeds in there that I could find, but I didn't get much since I planted them kinda late in the Fall..

Thumbnail by joeswife

There are alot of morning glory seeds in that bag and this pink one is one of them..

Thumbnail by joeswife

oh, well that is not the morning glory, that is forget me nots which are everywhere coming up..
here is the morning glory

Thumbnail by joeswife

What a fat pack of seeds and a very generous offer. Thank you, Debra.

I received your bubble today, Steph.. will send it back as stuffed as possible..
I also recieved a bubble from Jasper, TX.
Will be mailing out these last three tommorrow..
If everyone has mailed their bubbles and let me know, plz let me know when you get them back, I am going to close this thread by April 1st.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2010 10:10 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife
Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you soooo much. I will be sure to let you know when I receive it. I can't wait! Thank you again,and again, and again :)

Steph

okay as I sit here sniffling from seed dust, one thing I would love for any of you to do.. post pics to this thread when you grow them out.. I would just love it;)
If you smell the bag and it smells pretty minty, that is prolly beebalms ( monardas) , perilla beefsteak and basils. Good luck on figuring out which one makes you sniffle..

Here is the beefsteak perilla .. the butterflys and bees swarm around it and it blooms in end of september thru freeze time here..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Debra my envie just went out to you today. Sorry to be soooo slow about sending it out.

Oh yeah, I'll definitely be posting pics. Just took a deep whiff and there's definitely a minty fresh aroma. OK, I need a little advice. Since you've included a tremendous mix of annuals and perennials, shouldn't we wait and sow the seeds after our last chance of frost has passed? Ours here is May 15th. I'm Winter Sowing for the 1st time and hate the thought of wasting seeds or killing a plant...lol Thank you pretty lady :)

Hi Susan, Yes, I would wait unntil last frost has passed for direct sowing, one thing I do is fill plastic containers with about 8 inches of potting medium, sprinkle seeds on top, cover with a dusting of seed start, cover with heavy duty plastic of some sort, set out in sunny location, surround with pile of leaves. they won't pop up until they are ready too, and if frost comes, they are protected, even the annuals I put in there.. you can always cover with a tub if temps are low at night. I use any plastic tops of pie containers, cake containers, heavy plastic that bottled waters come in, etc. My Favorite recycled winter sowing material is a box of any sort, set inside of plastic bags from stores, and lined with plastic bags from stores. a few holes poked in the bottoms before your soil, seeds in, tie bags shut. You will be very surprised at spring time. Sent out 3 bubbles today. If you can find the cones and monardas, throw them out where ya want them. They will know when to come up! The wild flowers, butterfly weeds and primrose will be fine thrown out... There are a few Petunias and Impatiens in ya'alls mix, they are little seeds. Round. LOL sorry they are not sorted, but that is why the give away.. oh yes, get the zinnias and marigolds out, cover them up with leaves, they will be fine.

Thought you might like these.. I mixed some up in there..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Galien, MI

Hi Debra, my envelope arrived safe. Thanks again. I'll share with my neighbors. :-)
LJ

LJ that is great, I hope you like what is in it. I know I put at least one of these seeds in every bag..
it will be a small very dark seed..

this seed came from a seed I planted from BlueSpiral on the MG forum. I loved it. I had to share it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Mindy, I am looking forward to stuffing a bag for you;D

I also made sure everyone got either a white alba evening glory...which looks like this..

Thumbnail by joeswife

or a lavender evening glory like this...they both bloom at night, the seed to the alba is light coloured, the lav moon vine darker, both are a larger seed.. and if you didn't get one of those, you prolly got a mix of...

Thumbnail by joeswife

these... these large pink looms and the smaller blue lav blooms will climb gracefully up a showy evening primrose or a tall sunflower or even the large cleome... mine did.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Pearland, TX

Debra, did my envie ever show up?

Galien, MI

so much for being generous. That picture of the bluespiral sent me straight to the envelope to find and remove that seed before I shared the rest of them. I think I spotted it, but just in case, will take out every black, roundish one. LOL

I'm also going to have to rethink where to plant them, with the combo of short ones and vines. This is going to get interesting. :-)

Saphire, if it did it went out... if it didn't it will show up.. I recieved an envie from someone(Mindy) in Kentucky today..
will stuff it tommorrow and send it out from work on Monday.

I also put some of these in the bags

Thumbnail by joeswife

These are a large leaved varigated vine, the seeds are kinda reddish brown and may have a light stripe or speck on it.It rambled across the top of part of the north fence.. it is an i.nil morning glory.

I still have a huge bag of seeds left. They are still all mixed up. sorry..

Thumbnail by joeswife

it is snowing here.. all I can do is tend to the seeds now... I did find a huge bag of monardas and a huge bag of perilla, not mixed up.

This is lobelia.. "Great Blue" the seeds look like a little green pointy cup thing,kinda like a small holly hock pod, the seeds are inside they are tiny. It is a prenniel.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Debra you are killing me with these pictures LOL I'm not a fan of morning glories due to them trying to take over everything here but I'm sure getting tempted to find a place to plant the ones you are showing. Now I am not so patiently waiting until my envie comes back.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

YEA!!!!! I received my bag!! Thank you sooooo much!!!!

Galien, MI

Is is possible to get a pic of some of them on a plate, with a general breakdown of the types. Ex. white alba = 3 o'clock, zinnia = 5 o'clock? I recognize some of these, but I'm clueless about others. I hesitate to ask you to do more work, so feel free to turn that down.

What is the one that is the size of a small pea, but flat, and has a long fringe all around the edge? Very cool looking.

well... lets see..I am now going to post some pictures of a few of the seeds, so that you can see why I was afraid to throw away the chaff, since some of the seeds are ver tiny.. here is the first plate I picked out to show you..

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is the second plate..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Third plate

Thumbnail by joeswife

top of 4th plate

Thumbnail by joeswife

The whole plate

Thumbnail by joeswife

Plate 5

Thumbnail by joeswife

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.