In my dreams, my garden is...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)
There are a total of 293 votes:

In the middle of the woods with lots of ferns and shade loving plants.
(33 votes, 11%)
Red dot

A sunny meadow with wildflowers and lots of color
(22 votes, 7%)
Red dot

An English cottage garden
(112 votes, 38%)
Red dot

An Alpine garden with cool climate plants
(5 votes, 1%)
Red dot

A Xerescape garden with drought tolerant succulents
(10 votes, 3%)
Red dot

An edible garden with many fruits and veggies!
(73 votes, 24%)
Red dot

None of the above! (tell us!)
(38 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Similar to Sheila's post: all of the above.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I would love to have a New Orleans-style cottage garden...does that make sense? And a lush courtyard/patio with a fountain, lots of wrought iron and wicker, and all kinds of things growing around it, including edibles.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm with Growin. A warm (not hot) tropical paradise. You described my perfect garden to the T

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I chose a woodland garden with lots of ferns and trees because that's what I currently have - and I've really grown to love shade gardens. I love the cool, calm, serene feeling that my shade garden evokes.

That being said, I have ALWAYS wanted to have a veggie garden so my dream garden would be exactly what I have plus a patch of land adjacent to my current garden where I can grow sun-loving veggies and maybe a sunny cutting garden :)

Here's my cool oasis

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy
(Zone 7a)

Beautiful!!!

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Yes!!! Beautiful ; I have a pond & water fall next to our patio but--- it is in sun, all day. I am trying to get a nice shade tree growing nearby. I have several failed attempts. Twice the great grand kids broke it down while playing. I have another one started and just for it's protection I have a little fence around it. As for the G G kids they are welcome anytime.

(Zone 6a)

I chose 'none of the above' simply because my dream garden would be a mixture of all the above! With LOTS of fruit and veggies all year round.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I chose a Xeriscape garden-- because I live in the middle of the woods and have the shade garden. I long to grow lots of cacti and succulents outdoors--not just Opuntia and semps. I guess i will just have to move back to So. Calif.

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I said none of the above but that's because I want all those aspects in my perfect garden. Im talking several acres of gardens.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

My dream garden would include all kinds of vegetables and fruits in a 4 season set up, along with an extensive orchard. Throw in a tiny kitchen/herb garden, a herbaceous border English style and a park like arboretum, British style. And of course, a team of helpers to maintain it. But really, just a good producing vegetable garden a some flowers and I'm happy.

Windham, ME(Zone 5a)

TROPICAL,TROPICAL,with a nice pool .Life would be perfect.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Ericabelle described my tropical garden to a tee!!! Of course a beautiful pond with lots of fish, frogs, little lizards along with beautiful birds and butterflies and a place to sit in the middle of this paradise!!!

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

@ Marti

That book is an absolute gem. I found mine at a book re-sale shop, and with what I traded in, was bought for 50 cents! Beyond well and worth it. Mind Rummage and Flea Market season is coming up!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I've got a new friend that has a used book store I'll check with her for the book and the local flea market.

Marti

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm surprised at the number of people who put down edible. In my dreams I don't need to eat and food is never an element. In reality, I grow lots of edibles.

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

I voted None of the above, I would like a combination of all of them!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Want it all too:) Full sun area, woodland shaded area, a creek for stuff along the banks leading to a small pond, veggies and herbs, natural areas for nectar and habitat plantings and a great patio area for my fiendish love of containers. Really not asking for alot am I:lol:

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Although I voted for the cottage garden, I would love to have a combination of that with the fruits/veggie garden. I need more space!!! (and a longer growing season).

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

dmac085 sounds like just about what I had in mind except you forgot to include a couple of grounds keepers so that I wouldn't have to work so hard;o)

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Own the book "Carrots Love Tomatoes" and have tried everything! Now my garden is overrun with tansy, radishes, & all the other plants that didn't repel the squash bugs, but have self-sown out of control. That's why I'm so frustrated. I just grow trombone squash because it's so prolific.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Yeah:lol: I thought independantly stinkin rich was implied:lol: Oh yeah, no future subdivisions, associations or neighbors right on top of you!

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Ha ha ha; I am very UN-rich, that's why all the edibles are in my garden!
Not in any hurry yet as garden is under 3' of that white stuff.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I forgot to add that my dream garden would include a fulltime groundskeeper too...one that looked like Johnny Depp. lol

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

No, you can't have Johnny Depp because, in my dreams, he is at my house!

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

How about one of you two plant HIM and put the clones up for trade! I'd take the 'Pirate' cultivar!

I want to apologize for being unclear. I should have clarified that I was speaking about the Cucumber Striped Beetle (stripy devils) when I mentioned 'squash bug'. There are good articles on this obnoxious pest at www.simplykitchengarden.com and
www.attra.org/attra-pub/PDF/squash_pest.pdf. This second one treats on the borer as well as the bug.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2010 9:41 PM

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

ROTFL....;-D!!!!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I voted for sunny wildflower - because the question included "in your dreams"

That is the garden I planted and it is hard to walk through or enjoy because of the bees. So while it still is my 'dream' garden, I am slowly replacing it with things not so bee loving.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

none of the above.what else but a lily garden!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm English, so I grew up with an English Cottage Garden. As an adult I lived for 30 years in South Florida, so had a tropical garden. Now I'm in North Carolina. I voted for a vegetable garden because I'm in "if-I-can't-eat-it-I-won't-grow-it" mode :)

Maybe by next year I'll be able to alot some space to flowers.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

What, no ALL OF THE ABOVE option? I didn't vote, because I really would love all of the above. I'll just have to go visiting a lot of gardens, I guess! Travel is fun when there's a beautiful garden to see.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Honeybee -- here in my neck of the woods ...if you can grow it EVERYTHING eats it!! So you got to like to share and plant extra!

Port St Lucie, FL(Zone 9b)

I voted for the English Garden. In reality I live on the Treasure Coast in Florida and have a rather unorganized yard full of plants and a small veggie garden. I enjoy the birds and butterflys that frequent my backyard. I have larvel and nectar plants for the butterflys. I have had lots of cardinals and painted bunings this winter. I have 3 birdfeeders and strow some seeds on the ground for the doves. My garden is a work in progress, I'm always seeing some plant that I just can't live without and have to find it a home. My garden is my therapy in this rushed world, time passes quickly while I'm out communing with nature.

Thumbnail by gardener1941
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I voted English Garden too, but honestly in this high desert climate, with a 5/8 acre of land, we would be nuts to have my whole landscape like that. I can put water loving plants in pots and pockets but I also need to have some Xeric plant areas and plants that can be drought tolerant.
I have made a nice English style garden out of drought tolerant plants, mixed in with roses, in this same region before and it worked but with the water shortage, I could lose all my plants in one year.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

gardener1941,
Your garden and location already sound like a garden in my dreams!! I bet it is beautiful!!

Central Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Suprised and pleased that vegetable gardens are only behind English cottage gardens. See I am not the only one that passes up flower seeds for a good tomato or pepper plant. To me, a yard full of veggies and fruits is the most beautiful thing in the world.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

That half of the planet be gardens, wiith no weeds and for all of us to enjoy. We could wish for world peace while we are dreaming of our ideal gardens....would it be great for all of us to just get along with each other? Well, that would be my dream garden!

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

evelyn,when i step into my lily garden,[seed growing vortex],there is world peace

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Yes, when we are in our own gardens...heh, heh.... :-)

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Well I had to vote none of the above because I want a one that's a bit of several!

I need a big section of trees and filled with ferns & hostas and the like.....but then I want a nice big meadow filled to the rim with wildflowers....and then out front I want a lovely English Garden.......and close by in the back a nice veggie garden!

Now that is not too much to want....is it?? ^_^

Fixin typos!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 9:36 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.