Willows Greenhouse

Lake Stevens, WA

Nice Willow!
The sink in your greenshed will save you many footsteps. You may move in soon. The helleborus 'winter sunshine" is wonderful, now i want one. Love you plants from the nusery. Always great when a project requires you to buy plants. Have fun

Portland, OR

Really fun looking at the pictures, Willow. What a lot of work. It looks great!

Thanks for the invite! I don't have my schedule for April yet but it'd be fun if I get enough time off to make the drive up and see your handiwork in person. I'd love to see the metallic blue lady hellebore, too!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Willow I can't make it to the GH warming. Gotta stay home and warm up the fires since I went to Maui without my DW.

I would like to print out Ms. Binnetti's suggestions and allow my voles to study them. Especially the part about the hellebores. I don't think they got that memo. But I will definitely give the euphorbia some thought. That might bode well.. for me.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Rockems, I'm driving up from Lincoln City with a truck. Maybe you or Susybell would like to ride with me. (And the dog -- but it's a Ford XT, lots of room.)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Willow, what time is your get-together going to start? I may be taking a workshop that afternoon, but I haven't committed to anything yet. Carpooling in a truck to a plant get-together has an appeal.... ;)

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Anytime after 10 AM on April 10th.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Yep, and the bed has a cover to protect anything that should find its way in there ...

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Close up of the door. Has no window in yet.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

better perspective.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

New plants purchased today. Four hearthers, bog rosemary, and another hellebore.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Face-up on the hellebore

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

New flower bed around the corner. The new hellebore, some sedums and crocus.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Black mondo grass down the front walkway. Have to get a few more stepping stones and some black rock to finish the walkway and flowerbed here.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 4:26 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This is on the back side. Ruth laid what stepping stones we had in here. We pruned back a few branches. Looks good.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Another one I can't see. Oh, wanted to show my bergenia. It has reddish leaves. And I think purple flowers.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 4:33 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I have a massive amount of bleeding heart seedlings coming up and a big bunch of skimmia seedlings. Two other bunches are (I think) virginia creeper and "pacific frost" hellebore. I will have potting soil here for the party but please bring some 4" pots if you want some starts.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It looks so nice - the green shed looks very rustic with that black hardware. And I absolutely love the row of Ophiopogon down the walkway. It was made for that spot.

I'm amazed at how much attention to detail is going into this.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

On Azorina's 'good cause' thread, she has been talking about Michael Ewens who is collecting plants for the widows in Guatemala. He will be coming to our party on April 10th and will willingly take all the plants or seeds we can gather for him. So we have a good humanitarian reason for the party also.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 4:51 PM

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 4:54 PM

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks katie. Ruth and I both got kind of teary today when we were out there. I just absolutely love it.
My next door neighbor, Mike, asked me if it was a latte stand and if there would be pasties and bikinis. ^_^

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 4:57 PM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Shame on Mike (but that IS funny).

It's nice enough to be a latte stand. It'll be too bad when Ruth and Dean move on to their next project. Sounds like you've all had a pretty good time with this.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Love love love it! I hope you have lots of fun hours in that great green shed!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Dean has to come back and make me a craftroom in the attic. Ruth has been here helping me for about 4 years. So she won't be leaving. And we see Dean whenever something goes wrong. We have a few more things lined up too.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Excellent job, Willow!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

It is so cute, and useful, and just perfect in every way! I love how you are gardening around it with all those sweet little beds.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I need a RUTH in the worst way. How fun to have a gardening companion like that.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Willow, when yer ready, why don't you start a thread for party details?

Lake Stevens, WA

This is such a great thread. Willow thanks for the pictures. I'm sure we all are dreaming of our own versions of a greenshed. Like to see how you organize. I am challenged with that. My stuff is a mess, potts, flats, tools and such here and there.

Wish i had Ruth and Dean. My house is breaking. Frig. in basement and oven in my kitchen broke, dishwasher leaks. Oh my!

Love your plants. Is that chair for sitting or something to grow a vine on? Have fun!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Willow, everything is looking fantastic! I can't wait to see it all in person. You must be in pure heaven watching the project come to completion AND having an excuse to buy new plants! Did you just pick up the black mondo grass, or did you already have it? We have been looking for a local source and haven't found anywhere that has it in stock yet.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Julie, it's available down here, but I can't remember what I paid. Good reason for me to go visit the nursery tomorrow!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

It looks wonderful! Are you thrilled? Have you 'moved in' yet?

Bad news for me. It turns out the I will not be able to attend your party after all, Willow! :( Andrew's spring break is the week before your party and I am taking him on a road trip down to Utah to wander about in the desert. I've been promising him to take him back to Utah for 5 years. He graduates from highschool in June, so now's the time. It will just be the two of us and may be the last opportunity I have for this kind of mother/son trip. I'm really sorry to miss your party, though.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Bitter/sweet, Pixy. Sad to miss the party, but glad to have mother/son time. There IS something about mothers and sons. Have a great time!

(Judi)Portland, OR

Pix, the trip with your son is fantastic, and something both of you will remember for ever. So quickly they are off to find their way in the world. What will he be doing after high school? Will he be far away from you? Enjoy that trip!
Before one of my sons went to Africa to teach he and I spent a few days together in Stinson Beach, which is just north of San Francisco near Muir Woods. I was in a panic about his safety and he was a little nervous so I didn't want him to know I was freaking out. We collected beach glass, which I kept with me at all times, carrying it in a little pouch, until he returned safely to me. He returned fine, except 20 lbs lighter and that was not good since he has always been tall and skinny. He also had encounters with unexplained fevers, lions, giant mosquitos, thieves, and Masai warriors. But he's healthy now, and was profoundly touched by his experience. I am so glad we had those few days together, and he told me it meant a lot to him and kept him calm before going off to the wilds. I still have the beach glass.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The chair is decorative only. I'm so sorry you can't make it Pixie. I hope you can come over at a later time. The trip sounds fantastic.
Ruth picked up the mondo grass at Costco in Olympia I think. I haven't moved in yet. I am going to try very hard not to stuff it. Just the things I use in the garden. I'm going to try also to wait until it is completely finished before I move in the tools.
When I have to change threads from this one I can make it 'Willows Greenshed Party'. Then we can do all the before and after party pictures.
Judi, your story is the same as my experience when our GS went to Niger with the Peace Corps. Now he is in Hondurus and this fall he will be teaching in Brazil. Don't think he will ever come home to stay.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Willow, what your GS is doing is so fantastic, but I guess the worry is always there. How often does he come home for a visit? My son is back in Santa Barbara and has plans to go back to Tanzania to visit with the family of one little boy whose education our family is sponsoring. He is actually an orphan who is cared for by his grandmother but without help he has no hope for a meaningful education. SInce he has been back the past year Ben has started a business in southern Cal - it does not extend past Los Angeles & Ventura counties but check out the pics of fruits & vegs on the website - I love the website! www.helloharvest.com

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That is a good web site. On the Hondurus job, he has been coming home, summer and Christmas. They paid. On this next one I don't know yet. He's in Brazil for two years and then they want him to come to Cario. And you can bet he loves that.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

What a cool idea and the site is very well designed, too. Something like that would go over big around here ...

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The path on the backside of the shed is finished. I planted a flat of stepables around yesterday and Ruth finished re-setting all the stones that needed doing. That was a job and well done too.
I moved in a few things today. The small garbage cans fit perfect under the bench. At the same time I was cleaning up the potting bench area on the other side of the house. Both places look better. A few more days. Dean comes back on Monday and he has the glass for the window ready.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I planted a bunch of stepables last summer in between some stepping stones. It was in an area that does not get much traffic, if at all. None of them grew. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.