Willows Greenhouse

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Willow, can't wait to see tomorrows photos!

Pix, will have photos of the new shelf idea, but will have to wait until the greenhouse is empty so DH can go in there and "measure" to his heart's content before building. He is a bit anal that way....

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Just took these 9:50 AM. Can see how little sun hits it at this time and date.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And to show the side with fascia boards.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
(Judi)Portland, OR

Ooooohhh it looks great! You must be so excited! Is it a bit like giving birth - without the midnight feedings?

Lake Stevens, WA

Willow,
Not much longer and you will move in. Have been watching. Great design. Do you have seedlings in the house or will you be starting as soon as the last nail is in place.
Exciting!!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I will probably be tempted to grow a few seeds I find around, but I simply don't have any space or enough sunshine for large amounts of seedlings. I do some cuttings every year. Buddleia, weigela, not much. It will be mostly a place to work and store tools, pots, soil. I will have to experiment to see what I can do. Might try to raise the marigolds I use each year instead of buying them. Things like that.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Another plan for the party- There is a nursery down on the canal close to my house that we could stop by on your way out. We would also get a beautiful view of Alderbrook Inn, Olympic Mountains, and the canal. Harmony Hill is also only 2 minutes from here. Save some money.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Now I'm thinking. If anyone wants to stay overnight, I have a guest room with private bath. My neighbor, who is a party gal and is in Tucson until May, right next door to my house, has three bedrooms with double beds and each has a bath. I have her key and I would ask, but I know she would be happy to loan us her house for a night. She also has a dog pen with three dog houses in it. And in the garage is a pen for another small dog. There is also the Inn, beautiful but pricy, but dog friendly. There is a motel in Shelton and one in Belfair each about 1/2 hr away. Twahna State Park on the canal is 5 miles toward Belfair from here. We have a boutique, expresso, pizza, and a really neat resturant about three minutes down the hill. So there is enough to fill two days if anyone is interested. Or just to get up and go home in the morning instead of late. We could even go into Shelton to a great nursery. Many options.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Willow, do you have tide tables? Perhaps some attendees would like to incorporate oystering as well...(Not me, however.)

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I can get them. There is a place you can buy oysters on our side and I'm sure there are places over at Hoodsport. I don't know anything about digging them but I will ask. Hoodsport is a tiny town on the

canal. There is also Whitney's Rhododendrom Nursery that is fantastic and has more than Rhodies. It's about an hour from here up past Hoodsport.

Now for tonights pictures.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010 5:18 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Tomorrow the siding.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The door side.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

That is going to be an absolutely beautiful little building. How fun. I hope you have room to fit in a little 'get-away' chair to just sit and ponder life.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Inside right.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Inside left.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

My fan. Upper left.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And my puppies.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

Wow, that really seemed to come together fast. It looks wonderful, kinda like an tree house without the ladder. Fabulous!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well done willow. I think everyone was entertained through the whole process. Enjoy the seed planting. Absolutely beautiful.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I thank you. And Dean thanks you.

I know you don't dig oysters. I don't know why I typed that.

I don't think I will get a chair in there but I do have a hurking big stool that will fit.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010 7:22 PM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It looks so nicely done and all finished and stuff. I think you need to start plants in there JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN. You're going to have so much fun this summer. And the party weekend is starting to sound pretty crazy!! Like lotsa fun.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I am totally impressed. That is one sweet little building!!! You are sure to spend many happy hours there puttering around with plants.

So when is this greenshed party??

Harley says the place to get oysters is 'Taylor United', located between Olympia and Shelton.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Holly, We are shooting for April 10 and will slide if necessary. You are right on the Taylor place and I do know where it is. Easy to get to and you don't have to get cut-up and dirty PICKING oysters.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Today we have siding on all but the the left side. And Dean is going to work the weekend to take advantage of the weather.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2010 4:31 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The good old right side. I saw the sink and faucet today. They are really nice.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And the front.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

That is looking so lovely. Will you paint, stain, or treat the siding? Or let it age to gray? I had a similarly shaped greenhouse years ago, with the side opposite the window being a bit larger and housing chickens. It made for a nice combo (both birds and plants got daily attention), but very dusty and hard to keep the glass clean (chickens are not real tidy creatures).

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I think I will put something to preserve the natural look. But I don't want it to gray.
I raised 60 baby chicks in my basement once. Very dusty. Then mom and I had to butcher them all and freeze them. Not fun either.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I learned how to butcher chickens from an older farm woman many many years ago, when I was a real rube on the farm. She was very matter-of-fact about it all, and we had fried chicken for lunch immediately after. I think that was the most difficult chicken meal I've ever had (could still smell the guts on my hands it seemed like), but I did learn a lot from her. And went on to raise chickens for both the table and eggs (and later rabbits, ducks, and geese) for quite some time. No farm animals anymore, just a dog and couple cats. I kind of miss it, but on the other hand, like the freedom to just pick up and go if we want.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

We raised rabbit too. For eating and pelts. Mom used to tan the hides and sell them during WWII.

But those chickens sure did taste good. So much better than store bought. Some of mine were tiny one and some were roaster, huge.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

We raised chickens when I was little, and I would love to have them again if only I had the time to tend them. There is nothing better than fresh chicken or fresh eggs.... and when you are the one who collects the fresh eggs by walking through the coop with dozens of chickens everywhere, it is pretty easy to choose who gets to be the "fresh chicken" (for those of you who haven't raized chickens, some of them can be very nasty.... especially if you are eight years old and just trying to collect the eggs without coming out bleeding!)

That is going to be a great little greenhouse/shed! Very nice!

(Judi)Portland, OR

Willow! It is almost finished! And it is oh so cute! Excellent!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Today the siding is finished and he started working on the bench.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The bench from the top.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The other end will have the sink. With a little retro-fitting.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2010 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Looking out the greenshed door.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And my metallic blue lady hellebore.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Up close.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Are you just itching to get in there? I like the view out the door. This is really the perfect spot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.