Daily Walks - 2

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Almost to the top of RHH. If you look on the left side of the photo, you can see a place that is sheltered by the big rocks and is relatively flat (hard to see in this photo). But that is where the NAI, chipped out their arrowheads. We found a lot of the chips in that area. Was verified by members of the Pechanga Band of Luiseno Indians cultural committee, who came with me on a walk about. They said our farm was full of NAI sites of cultural, historical and spiritual significance. We try to be good care takers.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is to our northwest. It's Mt. Baldy and Cucamonga Ridge? Did I get that right. Where is weegy?
She'd know.
This is what QuiltyGirl and I were talking about seeing tonight. About five pm tonight this was bathed in pinks, reds, and goldy colors. It was beautiful!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sentinel rock. Lots of foot and hand holds going up to that seat. Decided not to try since someone, (Spirit) was sitting on my feet. I don't think he wanted me trying it. Who told him I have bad vertigo?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

He did let me get this photo which shows the seat/throne better. Please note that the birds sit up there all the time as evidenced by the white poop stains. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Part of the Cucamonga Ridge.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is why it is worth the walk up the hill. The incredible views! Mt. San Gorgonio.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Gorgeous photos SW---since it was gloomy again here all day today, it was nice to see blue sky!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I took this photo not to show off the mountains or the neighbors horse farm, or even the ag preserve, but over that hill in the mid distance is a sacred place. That is where the Bell or Ringing Rock is. It was used to call several small villages of NAI, together for ceremonies or used as a warning. When struck by another rock the Ringing/Bell rock does sound out. Fenced off and protected by Pechanga NAI, these days.
Would have been quite audible before the age of machinery. I can hear the 215 FWY which is about a mile away from us. Used to be able to hear the bells at the elementary school. (Now mothballed.)

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Glad to provide some sunshine for you ima. I must be on a pun jag.
It's hard to pigeon hole me. (Forgive me imapigeon, I just can't help myself sometimes!)
This shows some of the newer development in our community.
Wow, I didn't realize til now, that the Funke's back pasture (where I get my horse manure), is flooded. They live two farms over, and have always looked out for me. The horse farm in between us is new.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is not the clearest photo I've taken of it, but that small white blob on the ridgeline is the Palomar Observatory. I'll have to comb through my photo archives to find a good one.
I'm getting tired, sigh . . .

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I should have mentioned that Mt. Palomar is South of us. This is the peak of Mt. Palomar. Still kind of hazy but another beautiful view to me.
Also the end of my energy for the day. I have to go to bed early as I can tonight. I have to get YS to school, and then have Dr. Appt. in morning.
With your understanding, I'll finish this walk tomorrow. I took a different way back down RHH.
Also to the West of us is the Santa Ana Mtn.'s, but you can't see them from our place. Too many hills in the way.
Til tomorrow,
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

It is beautiful SW. You took some Beautiful photos,
Especially the hawks. Loved that close -up.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Wow, I'm huffing and puffing after that walk, Jules. Love the Sentinel rock and the views. Thank you for posting all those photos. I did try and take some photos this morning, but it was so bright I couldn't see through the camera! LOL

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Try putting the sun behind you! LOL!
I'm using one hand to balance the camera from underneath, and one on top. I guess I'm expecting recoil when I push the button to take the photo! LOL!
Have to leave in a few for a Dr. appt.
Will finish posting the walk down the hill when I get back.
We do drive up there occasionally, but I like walking.
How else would I have found the heart shaped lichen. I haven't even walked a fraction of the farm yet. You'll see.
Glad you are enjoying the walk. I was surprised about the hawks too. They have nested up there before, and if they decide to do so again, I won't be walking up there till the babies are gone. In which case I'll have to start a new thread on the birding forum.
More later!
WIB,
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

SW - Hey I found your photos. While your photos of the snowy mountains are really great, the camera was not able to catch the splendor of the moment with the beautiful color. Or was the photo taken earlier in the day. That's right I think you said you were also in the car when the sun hit the mtn. You really do a great job of making what most people would miss in a walk, look so interesting.

Lynda

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks QG, and you were right, I was driving when I saw the mountains yesterday. These photos were taken on Sunday. I'm taking longer to share my walks, than it took me to take them. That is alright. Just moving slower today.
We are still near the top of RHH, in this photo, looking down at our place and the bee barn. Maybe helps put things in a bit of perspective. : - )
It's a long way down.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Don't know how clearly you can see how the blue granite broke apart right here. It's half in shadow.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Spirit sees something! I have no idea what. Prolly a silly wabbit.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I photograph best on this side!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

With his short attention span, Spirit is ready to go smell something or dig up a hole in the ground.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is a grouping of boulders near the peak of RHH.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Flowers framed by a boulder.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A close up of the flowers.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A piece of gnarly wood growing out of a crevice in between the boulders.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

One year DH and the kids decided to do an archaelogical excavation on the top and found this flat stone under about six inches of dirt. People have placed the other rocks on top as prayer offerings.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This odd whole on the side of a rock was probably caused by a bush branch brushing against the stone over a long period of time. It's odd looking isn't it?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I just like the way these rocks look.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Framed by large boulders near the top of RHH, you can see Grandmother Oak in the distance.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know how to describe this, but that low rock in front of us in this photo is the top of a sheer drop off. I don't like heights. : - |

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is as close as I get to the edge.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Different view of the same rock face.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I've always liked this view of the tree and the boulders. My back is to that sheer drop.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Circling around to the north side of RHH, I found this neat looking patch of moss.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The rock the moss is growing on. Do you see the skeleton of a bush that was growing between the cracks on the rock?
Almost looks like a stick figure with green hair. LOL! : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Working my way both down hill, and to the south, I find more brush and rocks.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A bit further down slope.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A slightly different view.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Snow covered Mountains.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

That sheer drop I mentioned is center left on this photo. I couldn't climb to it's base that day.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I was standing in the gap between those two big rocks on top of the sheer drop rock. It's deceptive how long that drop is, in this photo.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.