Daily Walks - 2

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Granite weathering away.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Poor DH just graded this with his tractor, and now he'll have to do it again. We'll be going up this road for the first part of the walk.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I took this photo for you rock hounds. Actually a lot of rocks were featured on this walk, but this shows both blue and pink colored granite. It was here long before I showed up. I love the contrasting colors and the play of shadows.
I didn't see that sneaky hawk trying to get into the photo. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The hawk is sitting on the highest point of land/rock on the farm. Great view from there.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like a red tail too! I used the telephoto on this photo. Still working my way up the road.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Got to keep going, still not above the tree line, although you can see Mt. San Jacinto, and the top of the bee barn pretty good.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking to the North, I can see Mt. San Gorgonio. Lovely!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Still walking up the fire break road.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm wearing my ipod and singing really loud, I think s/he noticed.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, it's just that crazy two legged who makes all those strange noises. Nothing to worry about. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking down I saw this piece of quartz from the old silica mine had washed down and was all sparkling and shining in the sun light. This one is for ridesredmule.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

He is still sitting up there, and I don't want to scare him off.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

It never ceases to amaze me what turns up after a good hard rain! LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A cool looking gnarly piece of wood.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Snowy mountain. You can even see Tahquitz Rock.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Still working my way above the tree line.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Still walking up that road, and hoping that I'm not the one to scare the hawk away.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Another chunk of quartz from the old "silica mine".

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The closer we get to the silica mine, the more quartz is visible in the run off channels on the road.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We are going up this road just a little more. We'll head left when we get to that round rock on the left side of the road.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A close up of one of the run off channels.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Heading off the road, and up to where you can see the tailings from the silica mine.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking back at the road.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Almost to the mine, but I like the bones on this bush, not to mention the moss. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Here we are! This is the oldest continuously mined vein of quartz in the area. It was used by the NAI, to make their arrowheads. In the 1880's the prospectors and first pioneers came out here. While that is gold bearing quartz, in those days it wouldn't have been profitable for them to mine it. Not to mention the damage it would have done. They did try to work it for a short time, then gave it up. It is the reason we were invited to participate in last summers' Independence Day Parade. I had a blast, I dressed in period costume and practiced my regal wave from the back of a tractor drawn passenger wagon. LOL! It was fun.
The reason I have referred to it as the silica mine, is because that's what DH's Grandmother called it. Silica and quartz are basically the same thing. LOL!
Doesn't look like much does it?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The hawk is still sitting at the peak (if you will) of RHH. We call that particular rock formation the Sentinel rock. If you look on the left you'll see where the sentinel could sit and survey the surroundings. That is where we are headed.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking downhill from the silica mine. Doesn't seem like we've come that far, but we did. You can see the old bee barn in the distance.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

He knows I'm there, for gosh sakes' I'm singing "Blue Bayou" really loud, either he likes the song, or he's decided that I'm no threat.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is how I feel about all my DG family.
I'm hoping you be lichen it. : - )
I really can't resist a chance for a pun.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You shouldn't be surprised! : - 0

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Without using the telephoto, the top of RHH.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The rock is smiling at me. : - )
Yep, that my shadow too!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This looks like a volcano, a very old volcano. We do have hot springs near us, so it could be. I like to look at it, anyway. This is to the southeast of us in the City of Murrieta.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

After a prayer and a tobacco offering, I looked at the Sentinel Rock and found out who he's been waiting around for. Nice surprise. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm really proud of this photo. I used the telephoto on it, and cropped it. I just wish I could have caught them rubbing their beaks against one another. It sure was sweet to watch. Are they mates? Tis the season. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Another photo.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Awww! One of them flew away, and I couldn't capture the moment! : - |

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Then he flew away and joined the other hawk, I may have been witness to part of their mating flight. I could only see them until they flew out of the valley to the north of us.
Such a clear blue sky, no clouds but a contrail.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Now that the hawks are gone, I'll continue the scramble (3 points of contact at all times) up to the top of the hill.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is a really large red ant hole. They are cleaning up after the storm. Since I'm really allergic to these guys, I'm not going to stick around for more photos of them.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.