Chit-Chat, everyone welcome #170

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Come on in and let us know what you are up to

everyone is welcome

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1068538/

Thumbnail by wren107

Thank you Sandy - pretty bloom!!

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

morning all-think I'll play golf in sanford today before that jacksonville rain gets here. Looks like it will be down your way,Dutchlady, by this evening..

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi, Kids.

Well, it's gloomy again this am but a balmy 70 degrees. The dog even took his sweater off. Off on errands today. TTL.

Hap

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Good Morning all

Darla

The weatherman seems to have been off the mark with the predictions on the 11 PM news. I thought he said the rain wouldn't come until about Noon today as it moved down through Georgia. It started pouring here last night around Midnight and doesn't seem to have stopped and includes some deep rumbles of thunder somewhere in the distance. I'm glad for a good rain, though.

As I look out my window this morning, I'm seeing the accumulated freeze damage really starting to show. I'm feeling especially dumb about leaving out in the open air the two Cat Palms (Chamaedorea cataractarum), still in their pots and that I got from the bargain bin at Lowe's a few weeks ago for $3.99 each. They were looking like they were able to take the freezes, but now they look like they may be nigh on to totally dead. I had dropped them near where I thought I would plant them and didn't think about moving them into a covered area. Dumb and dumberest!

Looks like I will be the first to be the bearer of the bad news. As a result of some interpersonal communications and establishing a friendship over the years with Dave, the DG founder, I was included in a group D-mail this morning in which Dave let us know that DG has been bought out from NameMedia by another company, and Dave will no longer be the Administrator for DG and is not even certain he will still retain his DG screen name. This change came as a total surprise to Dave and he is saddened by having the site taken from his control after he has put so much into DG and had every intention and expectation of retaining his position at the helm for another decade or so to come. He started Dave's Garden from a simple beginning as his personal seed inventory site to having it grow through his loving guidance and prodigious computer programming abilities to become an international premier gardening website with tens of thousands of members and subscribers. I have to admit, I am on the verge of some very sentimental tears because it seems like we may be headed into a transition at DG that may change the friendly neighbor charisma of the site. I know I will definitely miss Dave's presence and his consistent enthusiasm for maintaining DG. In his Dmail, he stated that we could pass along this disheartening news, and that we will all should expect a public announcement from NameMedia sometime in the near future.

This photo of my Cat Palm's seems to match my mood over this change at DG.

Jeremy

Edited to clarify some sentences.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010 11:40 AM

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010 11:42 AM

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

well thats crappy.

I too have alot of stuff that is really showing freeze damage. palms among them.

I pulled out the stuff I had stored in the bike shed (got rid of the bikes) so that they could get watered. I heard the rumblings last night. didn't know if we actually got rain or not but it is wet out there now and the rain is light for the moment. I noticed the outer most branches of my brugmansia that I had covered are feeling slimy. but further down SEEMed to be ok.

Darla

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I wonder if he has a "no competition" clause or whatever that would prevent him from starting a new site.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2010 12:32 PM

Our little corner of the world near Oceanway community in Jacksonville is currently precisely the area of tornado warnings. A few funnel clouds have been spotted further north and some reports of trees being snapped off by tornadoes touching down. So far here, it is just lots of rain and thunder, no nearby lightning strikes.

Jeremy

Yes LOTS of rain here. I have to go out at 3 so I hope it lets up by then!

Darla

Where is our rain? Not any in sight, just windy!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Jeremy, that horrible. Who said change is good? Shoot them!

Hap

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

Jere-You left palms outside in this weather??shame-shame-how could you??

Thats a real bummer about Dave....I hope things dont change for all of us...........

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's going to be interesting.

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry to hear About dave, this has been a fantastic website, I hope the takeover company is half as good. Same thing in UK, my daughter works for Cadbury's!! Choc & Cheese the new all americn favourite - maybe!!

(Zone 1)

OH NO! This is very distressing news! It seems like the way of the world nowadays, so many company's being sold to large mega-company's. I was a bit concerned awhile back when I heard DG was sold to NameMedia, but so glad when nothing changed. I will be curious to see how things go with whoever the new owner is. Hopefully this garden will remain as is and the new powers that be will not make major changes that will cause folks to get disheartened and go elsewhere. There is NO "elsewhere" for me! DG was the first on-line site I ever joined. I have checked out a couple of other sites in the past two years that folks mentioned, but they were just not for me ... I love the ease of navigation of DG and the "Family" here!!

:(

It is just so sad to hear this news. I can't imagine anyone other than Dave being administrator of this Garden!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

ME TOO!

This is my life-line to the world.

Hap

Jacksonville, FL

this is a brighter note---let's not despair yet. Dave's Garden will not go on without Dave and his team and we all know that Hopefully all will work out well for Dave
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070930/

I was just going to post that link too ^_^

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

I've learned more here since I joined last may, than the last 5 or 6 years put together.
Its more like talking to neighbors than just someone out "there" somewhere..
I hope it doesn't change---

Post exactly those words on that thread, Goodgreen... the more people post there the better. They won't be able to change it if we all stand behind Dave.

GOOD NEWS http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070930/

Good morning everyone. Muggy here this morning....

Good morning everyone, to dark to see out, but at least it is not raining. And I am not working frantically to finish a pray/wellness shawl. All done. Now to get it off to Canada.

Sandy

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Everyone please go the the link Sandy posted and show your support as one of the new owners has posted and is following the thread.

Mulberry, FL

Plenty of rain here last night proably a couple inches. I heard about this a acouple months ago. Figured I'd watch it play out no sense in starting rumors.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Muggy and 85 degrees today. Yuck! Don't mind it in July/August, but in January??? Is everyone's grass, the was so brown a week ago, starting to make a comeback? It's been looking much better this week down here and was curious if everyone is seeing the same.

Jon

Nice article on the Brussel Sprouts Hetty. Have some growing in the vegetable garden at the moment. I lived in The Netherlands, part of the year, from 1999-2003, and recall how inexpensive they were to purchase, year round, at the Albert Heijn Supermarket.

Jon

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Jon, my grass AKA weeds, are green, I'm going to have to mow in a day or so. Wait till you get about 40 more years on you and I bet you'll love the hot weather, I never complain about the heat, but let it get below 70° and all I do is complain.

(Zone 1)

Everything here including the grass is still brown, even after all the much needed rain we had yesterday evening and last night. We have St. Augustine lawn and it wouldn't bother me one bit if it didn't re-sprout. I'd love to somehow talk my DH into a totally natural landscape with lots of Florida native plants but alas, he loves a green lawn.

This is what the Schefflera and a Hibiscus look like one week after the freeze.

Thumbnail by plantladylin

LOL Jim. I can relate to a mixture of grass/weeds. Don't think I'll ever be complaining about the weather when it gets below 70 degrees. I do complain in August/September when its been no lower than 75-80 at night for the past 3 months and the bugs/mosquitoes are everywhere.

Wow, that was one hard freeze you had plantlady. Ouch. Looks like that grass will be making a comeback though.

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

PlantladyLin, I too have St. Augustine and I hate it, if thoughts could kill the stuff - Ah Well, the worse part is, it makes me itch so I don't like walking on it at all.

Kissimmee, FL

Hey everyone it is great to be back, but saddened to hear the news about Daves. I hope you all did better than I did with the bad weather, I was not here to protect my plants, I feel so guilty. As a result my yard looks like the set of a Clint Eastwood movie.I hope everyone had a Great Christmas and Happy New Year! Keep on doin what we do!!!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Welcome back Viceroy. It was a rough January.

We all hope that DG will survive.

Hap

I think it will. ;-)

Kissimmee, FL

Anything we can do to assure that?

I think everyone has done MORE than enough with the amazing showing of support that was expressed on the DG forum. You all will never know how much all that meant to us.

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Great to see you here Dave on the Florida thread. You assured us all once before when the site was purchased...I'm just glad to hear that things are working out and not as dismal as when we first heard the news yesterday morning. I can't imagine this site without you!

Kat

Good morning everyone. 70 degrees here in Naples, that's more like it!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.