So. Calif. Spring RU 2010

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

DP, I was at Lowe's today and they have a lot of heirloom seeds, but if I remember right most of them were veggies. Didn't stop long enough to really look over the entire rack.

I gave DH a pocket calender and he told me to put down the "club" date so that does sounds encouraging. MRI is scheduled for Feb. 19, but can't see the doctor until March 15, so that is all we know so far. Haven't decided what to bring yet but will post on food thread soon.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh there are no fish tacos quite as good as they are in Baja but Rubios are darn close. MMMM, not runny or watery at all. Speaking of fish, it is reminding me how great those fish and chips were at Dr. Don and Pams that year.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I believe Rubios came from Baja.

Is Dr Don a Psychiatrist, Psychologist/Therapist? Daughter is going to an office in Temecula that has a sign referencing Dr Don, no last name. Have not seen him post since I came to California Gardening last March after the RU.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Is there still room at the party?? I've been offline for a while, but if there is still space, I'd like to come :-)

karen

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Only if you bring potato salad!

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

You've got it! I'll happily bring potato salad...

karen

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Karen, see...we remember what you brought last time and it was so good.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, yeah, I remember that potato salad! But you'll be what we want to see, no matter what you bring!

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Karen.......Love to meet you and your potato salad. Love, love, homemade potato salad.
Sylvia

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Yippee!
Amarantha00, you just made my DH's day. He loves homemade Tater Salad too! (I won't make it for him.)
I get to meet another DG'er too, Yippee!
WIB!
SW

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Yeah, well...Karen's is the BEST!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Karen I have not met you yet but you will find me at the table next to the tater salad :o)

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hi Karen too. I was new to the 2 RU's for 2009, so have not met you. Look forward to 'seeing' you.

I got my first sweet pea today, lavender and smells heavenly. I wasn't looking for any flowers until the middle of March.

Still thinking about a dish to bring. Will post as soon as I can figure out one. Hoping surgery on DH's shoulder, if that what the MRI will tell us, will be done and he will be healing by the end of April.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh yeah Pegi. I saw the heirloom seeds at Lowe's yesterday. You'd think they were "family heirlooms". I had already found them at Joe's thankfully. Lowe's price for corn (something Joe's didn't have) was $2.29 for half an ounce. I bought 3 pkgs so I'll have some corn. You can bet I'll save seed from it at that price.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Pegi what kind of surgery needs to be done on your Dh's shoulder? I am having some done on my shoulder to if I can plan it around plant trips.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I am thinking about what to bring still. I need something that travels well. I have a two hour drive. What time is it starting btw?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

hellnzn, Indian time or normal time? Indian time is when everyone is here and the time is right.
Does noonish work out for everyone? We can go as late as we want to.
Please let me know if that will work out for those of you who are driving the distance. I didn't want to start too early.
Cookies travel well. I'm awfully fond of cookies, especially if they have chocolate chips in them. You could make them the day before or even buy them, then you could sleep in a bit before leaving home. LOL!
Do take a look at the food thread and see what works for you. I get silly when I get tired.
KC suggested that I remind people who have their favorite chairs to bring them. I have several chairs, as well as the Picnic tables for seating.
WIB!
SW

SW, forgot to ask, there are coffee drinkers among us, so either JD or I will bring a coffee, c- maker, and thermos - can you make a plug available? If we can make it in the house, the thermos can go outside. Or we can bring an extension and hook it up outside. I can bring a water kettle, too, if anyone wants tea.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Checking with DH about the coffee pot, will make sure it works, but we have a dedicated hot coffee pot, and a dedicated hot water pot for those of us who don't drink coffee.
Someone else (not me, I make horrible coffee,) needs to make the coffee, but don't worry about bringing the pots. Plugs are available no matter where we choose to hold the RU. (It depends on the weather, mostly.)
Good of you to think of it Kathleen, someone might want to bring condiments, sugar, creamer, and maybe coffee, or your favorite brand of tea. I have the standard teas, and will provide Honey for the tea and cornbread. : - )
WIB!
SW

Crossville, TN

Honey on cornbread? Not on MY cornbread!! LOL Jo...a Tea Drinker.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

A coffee drinker myself and I'll volunteer to bring the coffee. I have some very nice Rwandan beans. I'll bring my grinder too.

We have the coffee covered. I know JD and my DH make good coffee, and I'm sure between us all, we'll do fine. Thanks, Jules.

Oops, we cross-posted, DP. I already spoke to JD about bringing the coffee, but he *might* not be able to make it. I'd love to taste your specialty, though!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

We can always make a couple of different ones. I'm sure variety will be fine.

Always! :-)

Will have to wait another month to see doctor about DH's shoulder. Dr. said it is probably a tear in the rotator cuff. I've heard a lot of people have this problem. MRI is scheduled for this Friday, then the long wait.

Still pondering why food to bring, guess I should jump over to the food thread and see what everyone is bringing.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Coffee!....*tongue hanging out of mouth*

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

We have lots of green and amber wine bottles. Would anyone coming to the RU like some to make a border or whatever with?

Sylvia

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I started a border with some wine bottles too, this year, but am not sure if I like the look of it, and so I stopped with a few more to go but I like the look of them in other people's yards. I need to rethink my plan.

I am fine with 12 but would rather do it at 11:00 in case I don't stay late, then I can drive home before it is too late, but what is an hour. It may be warmer then at 12:00 and that could be good or bad depending on the weather. What ever works for you girl. You are the one kind enough to do it for all of us.

Cookies ha? I may be able to do that, but think I would be able to contribute something besides cookies. Food is always an issue with me at the RU's.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Your company works for me, hellnzn11. Don't worry, if you come at 11:00 you can always contribute by helping me get set up.
My big thing now, is where do you all want to meet and eat. I like the Grandmother Oak Picnic area, but we can move those tables up by the house, 'cause I know some of you would like to see the gh too. If anyone has a preference you should let me know.
I'm flexible, but DH needs a little notice so he can move the tables.
Should I twist his arm and have him hook up the hay ride to the tractor so we can all go for a ride? He loves driving that tractor, and probably wouldn't mind. Let me know what you all are thinking.
I know that for some of us, mobility can be an issue, and want everyone to have a good time and enjoy themselves and our home farm.
WIB!
SW

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Dear singwolf,

Whatever, whenever.....;....It will be so good just to get together and enjoy each others company.

Sylvia

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Too true, Sylvia. I just want everyone to be comfortable and happy enjoying the day, the food and the company!
WIB,
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Sylvia - I would like those wine bottles if no one else has claimed them. Think I have a place for them that may keep cars out of an area I want to plant. With it all being dirt out here, it is hard to define areas and DH thinks he should b e able to drive vehicles anywhere. About how many are there?

Thanks, Lynda

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Lydna

How many do you want? We have a pile of them. Just tell me, we got whatever you need. We'd be very happy to give them to you and whoever. Hate to just toss them.
Sylvia

My only problem with under the oaks is will they be pollinating? I'm allergic to live oaks and end up with migraine. :-( Otherwise, whatever you think is best.
We have lots of cold packs I can freeze and bring to keep things cool if nec.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Sylvia, How many is 'a pile'? I was thinking of doing about a 24 ft +/- border.

Lynda

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Kathleen will be all in a Benadryl coma there, maybe someone needs to bring full wine bottles. (&^%$$$#?!

I am thinking where it is going to be the easiest for you and the shadiest if it is warm so the plants can take it.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

So Kathleen will be entertainment if she is on Benadryl AND wine. At least if consider watching a sleeping person entertainment.

Shade, what a novel concept out here, but Jules has more of that there since they have been there longer and having natural trees. Us? Not so much. Seems I recall last year at the Spring RU, we were hoping for some sun for warmth. But that was early March and by April we had our first 100 degree day here.

Pffft! Benadryl doesn't come near to handling my allergies, kiddies. We're talking head exploding, non-stop sneezing, eyes swollen, put me in a dark room and knock me out stuff. Doesn't mean it WILL happen, just has in the past. I'll be fine, I hope. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.