Heidi Chronicles - Just Hanging Out Until Spring

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Ummmm, I was thinking chain link. So no, that wouldn't help at all. My thoughts were to just put her and the kittens somewhere that the male cat couldn't get into. Most cats that I've known don't climb a chain link. i suppose they could, but most don't. Their toenails don't hold on to it very well.

Good to know they'll spay her even if pregnant. She probably won't mind a bit.

We cross posted, but yes...those were my thoughts.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm don't mind paying to have Kitty 'fixed'. I was just hoping she would give me a little time to work that into my schedule. I'm pretty stress right now, time wise. And I still have problems with energy, or a lack thereof some days. That doesn't help at all. Some days like today, I can go all day and get things done. Other days, I'm lucky if I can make it through an 8hr work day. Some days I'm totally, physically exhausted after about 4hrs and can barely hold my eyes open. Occasionally, it gets so bad that I absolutely cannot work even after drinking several cups of coffee. On those days, I have to go home early and take a nap.

I need to find time to get myself back to the Dr to get my thyroid level and liver enzymes checked among other things - to be sure I'm not running on a lean mixture of some kind. But I had to reschedule my apt because of work. It's just a bad time right now. I can't afford to loose a multi-million dollar contract. Companies don't like that sort of thing - even in a good economy.

Anyhow, I think right now I probably need to get some rest. I'm sure this problem will look much better in the morning with the benefit of a little sleep.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow, Cheryl, not a good time for Kitty to go into heat; but unfortunately it's not unusual for cats in the wild (or semi-) to go into heat again as soon as the previous kittens are weaned. Most vets will spay a cat in heat, especially if the situation is explained; cats in heat don't have a discharge as do dogs in heat, and it is nowhere near as traumatic to spay them at this time. And most vets will spay through the first trimester of pregnancy, which is three weeks; the gestation period for cats being basically identical to that of raccoons.

You probably know this, but you'd want the vet to test her for feline leukemia (FeLV) and FIV prior to the surgery, and then have her given the combination feline vaccine and rabies while she's anesthetized and cooperative. In terms of the housing problem with Widget, I think you've said that you rarely use your upstairs; could you keep her in a bathroom upstairs for short-term housing? I have disposable litter boxes I could send you if you dmail me your address.

Catching mom for the surgery would be simple since she'll allow you to pick her up. She could stay overnight in the carrier/crate, since she'd need to fast before surgery, anyway. While the sudden disappearance of mom would certainly be upsetting to the kittens, it would make it much easier to catch them; they will be hungry and a bit anxious, and could be easily caught in the wire cage trap with some of that salmon food. Of course you then need a plan in place for where you'll take them once they're captured.

Yes, it's troublesome and extra stress/stuff you don't need with all the pressure at work just now; but it's manageable if you plan ahead and take it one step at a time. And getting it dealt with now is much better than adding another litter into the mix. Know that's not a great consolation, and wish I had more to offer.

I've never seen purring as one of the options on those nature sounds/white noise machines, but the marketers are missing a really good one; something about that sound just exudes peace and contentment, and you can't help relaxing when a kitty is purring nearby. I must have a machine similar to yours, by the way, since mine also offers the waves with occasional loons. Though I love the waves, I avoid that option since I'm invariably just about asleep when the darn loons wake me up again. I usually fall asleep to the summer rainstorm, though honestly Mister Impossible's purr by my side is at least as relaxing, if not more so. We've found that some of the sounds seem to relax animals also. When it's been raining for days and the dogs are antsy since they can't have fun playing in the yard, I'll turn on the train sounds for them; it really settles them down, which is funny since they can't know what a train is. I'll admit that as a kid I could barely stay awake on train rides; the motion and the sound of the wheels would put me right out.

Had to laugh at the image of Widget jumping on your head while you're asleep, though I'm sure it wasn't amusing at the time. When my Mister first came here, he'd wait until I was almost asleep, then come up and sprawl full-length across my head. Since he's a big boy, breathing would instantly become an issue, and I'm not the most cheerful when suddenly awakened by suffocation; but thankfully I kept my cool and worked with him nightly to teach him that beside me was wonderful, on my face simply not acceptable. The kitten and puppy months are charming and funny and adorable, but it's really a relief when they're over, lol.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm feeling much less 'tragic' about things now that I've had a few hours of sleep. Just wanted to let everyone know. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your efforts to deal with me earlier - back when I really needed to turn it all off and just take a nap. (Next time, someone, someone brave, might want to suggest a little 'nappie nap' when I start sounding like a 3yr old in need of a timeout.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

In the morning - ok, technically it is morning - but when I wake up again, I'm going to call my vet to see what they suggest under the circumstances. I had forgotten that for Widget (not sure about cats), they will let me drop him off on the way to work and pick him up again on the way home. They handle his appointment in between and call me at work to discuss things. Maybe they can do that for Kitty. If so, I could get her fixed as early as tomorrow - depending on their schedule, of course.

I wish I had asked this before. Does anyone know...will I need to take care of her, like in a crate or something, for some period of time post surgery? It has been a few decades since I last had a cat. I'm struggling now with the logistics. Widget's small crate should be the perfect size to house a cat, but how does one get food, water, and litter in there - and still leave space for a nap?

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

No food or water for at least 12 hours before surgery. The litter would be the problem. Do you think that you could put a harness and leash on her and take her for potty breaks before bedtime and before driving her to the vets?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok. I have an appointment to have Kitty tested for 'the works' and then spayed at the vet hospital near my house. The apt is for Thursday. They understand the full circumstances including that she is semi-feral and is in heat. They actually advise spaying her ASAP. There is, however, a higher price associated with spaying while in heat. The uterus is swollen, etc, such that they expect greater blood loss and other issues. They say it is safe for her, just that it requires extra work and care on their part and so there are additional costs.

The vet hospital is accustomed to working with strays. They say they have people who are very good at handling cats like this one. They will test for things like feline leukemia and call me (before surgery) to discuss if any tests are positive. Otherwise, they will perform the surgery and treat her for parasites. I will drop her off before work, and they will keep her all day. If possible they will use sutures that don't need removal. It would be best (for her) if she can be on pain meds for 3 days post op and can wear one of those cone head things to keep her away from the stitches. This isn't a necessity, just preferred.

They understand that she is semi-feral but that I can handle her somewhat. They can keep her in their hospital for the 3 days post op (at extra cost, of course). If I take her home for those days, they suggest keeping her in the garage with a litter box. I can do that as long as she doesn't have to come/go because I can't leave the garage open. On a related note, I will try to catch her the night before surgery and keep her in the garage so that she will not have access to food. If this isn't possible, they said they will still be able to do the surgery.

Once she is 'gone', I will use the cage trap to try to catch the kittens. I will take them to the SPCA where I am told that they will work with them to try to tame them for adoption. Since I have been able to get close to the kittens now, I'm optimistic that knowledgeable staff will be successful in taming them.

The price tag for all of this is quite a bit more than I had anticipated. They gave me a quote based on pricing everything at the high end of the range to be on the safe side. The price includes medication and follow up care. $650. Ouch! Does that sound high? Remember that she is in heat and possibly pregnant.

Anyhow, it's on for Thursday.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

Thanks. I don't think a leash would be an option. Even extremely tame cats often balk at the idea of a leash. Remember, even though Kitty tolerates being picked up and held briefly, she is still semi-feral. She doesn't seem to like being confined since even holding her for a few minutes makes her nervous.

Anyhow, I think I'm going to try to keep her in the garage overnight with a litter box. Previously, I had only considered the garage in terms of her being able to enter/exit on her own (i.e., leaving a door open). While that isn't feasible, leaving her closed up in the garage will work - assuming she doesn't try to tear the house down to get out in which case I guess she will have to stay in a crate. It's a 2 car garage. Hopefully the space will be sufficient so as to avoid making her too anxious. I guess we will see what happens.

Sadly, and much as I feared, so far today I have gotten nothing done except eating lunch and talking to vets. Argh! And now my $$$ client has called to schedule the much anticipated meating. (sigh)

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Gee, that does seem high $. I was thinking it would be (worst case scenario) $550, though I didn't factor in the follow-on care and meds.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

A great companion pet is the one that picks us. I heard that(or something close to it)somewhere and although the ones I had picked out were great,there is something really special about being chosen to be a caregiver and friend. I know you are going to be a great friend(you already are)to this cat and she will return the love tenfold. I think Widget will enjoy having a buddy to hang with...eventually,while you are at work.

Any name yet? She really should have one before Thursday I would think. Maybe even a temporary one.

Judy

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

I thought it sounded pretty ouchy (high), but I don't know how much more trouble is involved in dealing with the heat issue and possible pregnancy. Also, note that the number I gave was intended to represent the sum of the top of the range for each test/proceedure. It includes surgery, aftercare, meds including those to take home for pain, etc along with test for feline leukemia and such (which is a separate charge from surgery), treatment for parasites, rabies shot, general annual wellness exam, full profile of pre-surgical tests to insure she is well enough for surgery and so forth, everything to get her spayed, treated for parasites, and current on all recommended tests, shots, treatments, and, exams.

It may be that it looks especially high because we are thinking "this is the price for the surgery" when it is actually the cost surgery plus the cost of annual tests, shots, etc (with Widget that runs maybe $150 or so, don't recall exactly esp since I usually pay for heart worm meds and such at same time)

I called another hospital I deal with. They are farther out of my way and their hours aren't as good. They were supposed to call me back with the info. Unfortunately, the didn't call all day. I think they called during my late afternoon nap (in prep for my evening marathon working on my project and docs to show client tomorrow). As a result, I didn't get the info yet. Will check if they left message with $$ amount. Would be interesting to compare.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

My vet had said that the average cost of owning a small pet was 1K per year. Some years would be less and occasionally there would be a very expensive year. This must be the Pretty Kitty's expensive year!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Judy,

I've been chosen. I like that sentiment.

No name yet although I have started thinking in that direction lately. Too late to worry about name now as they already took her name and made her chart when I made the appointment. Sassy was seen there for 9yrs and Widget has also been seen there, so I already have an account with them. Anyhow, as I had already explained the whole semi-feral thing, I just told them I'm still using Kitty since it has only been a week or so and in the beginning I wasn't planning to keep her - but she wore me down. I don't think the name is as big a deal anymore because now they take a picture on the 1st visit and put that on the animals records. After that, every document printed by the computer has the animals picture on it for ID purposes. I'm very glad they are doing that now as it is much better for ID than a name. This way if they are heading into surgery - or worse - with a white dog and the paper in their hand has a picture of a black cat, they will hopefully notice that something is wrong.

Oh, forgot to mention that I have been using the wrong color designation. I probably told you I don't know about these things. I've been calling her brindled. They say she is a grey tabby.

The only name I've considered so far is Lady Godiva, and I would call her Lady, but I'm still considering the options. I had another idea, joking to myself, about what to call her for short if I were to go with Lady Godiva. The other nick name, again a joke only, seemed humorous in light the basic cat attitude, but I won't go there here because I don't want to risk offending or upsetting anyone.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTF, June,

I hope so!

On a related note, on my way out to retrieve the trash can from the curb a few minutes ago, I was thinking to myself, "$650 for a fairly homely looking stray! I could have a cute, lovable, totally tame Persian or Himalayan kitten for that price, one that doesn't mind being hugged." which led to the following sigh, "There had sure better be an afterlife!"

Edited to add that I was, of course, kidding.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 8:45 PM

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I like PK (pretty kitty). I am so glad that they are using photo ID's for the animals! I was unworried about it until I went in to pick MY male, mini-dachshund and they brought me a tan one!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

On a happier note, last night at the grocery store, you know, before the bottom fell out of my little kitty story, I picked up 2 toys. While feeding them, I gave them one. It was one of those little furry mice with the chip inside that squeaks and squeals when batted about. At 1st they, even Kitty, seemed alarmed by it. I left it on the porch when I came back inside. Later when I went outside it was about 1/2 way down the walkway, maybe 15ft or so away from where I had left it. Today when I came home from work it was over on the driveway. It is moving around at a pretty fast clip, faster than would seem normal on its own, so I gather they must be playing with it.

Oh, I also forgot to tell you that I really don't think that black male cat is a stray. I'm pretty sure he is someone's pet who just happens to be allowed outside sometimes - and apparently hasn't been fixed. I don't see him very often, and he just looks to pretty and well fed to be a stray. I meant to tell you that so you wouldn't think I was being inundated with strays. We really don't have strays around here as a rule. I've been concerned that someone might call the authorities to come for Kitty, esp now that she is running around town with her new boyfriend and making so much noise. (I went to sleep to cat sounds last night - and not purring either.)

And that brings me to yet another thing I forgot to mention earlier. That quote from the vet includes a HomeAgain chip - even though I didn't ask for one and have mixed feelings about getting one under the circumstances. On the one hand they will be coming for me if Kitty gets into any trouble. On the other hand, if she gets picked up as a stray (i.e., if someone calls the authorities since she is outside) the chip will help her prove that she is actually a legitimate cat citizen wrongly accused and will be her ticket out of the slammer.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, my, June,

That would be disconcerting. I heard a while back that a woman went back to pick up her dog who had been left for spaying and learned that the dog had been euthanized in error. That is heart-breaking even to think about however briefly. It was shortly after I heard about that mix-up (they had mixed the dog up with another that was there to be put down) that the area vets started using the photo ID system which I find very comforting.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

OMG, what a horror story! That poor dog and poor owner, I hope they sued!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

The microchip ran me $45 with a military discount. Just a checkup (by an intern) with blood work & feces culture and one or two shots was $143, so I guess that $650 (worse case) would be an OK price for all that she will have done to her.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

OMG, Ruth,

Your experience with Mister brings back such memories for me. I can't believe there were 2 of them! My last cat, several decades ago, came into my life in much the same way as Kitty when you get right down to it, except that he was a kitten. Muffin, yes, I named him Muffin, was an absolutely gorgeous Himalayan with soft grey points and THE most beautiful azure eyes I've ever, ever seen. Somehow, as a tiny, helpless, little kitten, he got loose from his owner and got lost at the now defunct Charleston Naval Shipyard, in the industrial area, no less.

There he was surrounded by all manner of dangerous and terrifying things like welding, and grinding of metals, and high pressure steam, and you name it, a very noisy environment. The guys found him wandering around all helpless. No one knew where he belonged. That was in the days before the luxuries of internet and email, so there really wasn't much hope of findingi his owner - and he was far to beautiful to be a stray. I always figured someone probably took him there to give or sell him to someone else, and the kitten got frightened and ran away. Anyhow, when no one claimed him, the guys decided I should have him, so I that's how he came to live with me.

The 1st few weeks after I brought Muffin home, we had the same problem you just described. I always figured it was because he had been so traumatized by being lost at the shipyard. As soon as I went to sleep, he would lay himself over my face just below my nose, on my upper lip area. I guess my breath comforted him, but as you mentioned, this sleeping arrangement made it difficult for me to breath. I would wake up suffocating, peel the kitten off my upper lip, put him on the other side of the bed, and go back to sleep.

We did this over and over and over every night, and Muffin was every bit as determined to sleep on my upper lip as I was to breath. Eventually, we got to the rather hilarious point where I would wake partially, crack my eyes a bit in the darkness, and see a tiny, baby kitten coming toward me across the bed in that stalking position. Obviously, he had figured out that I didn't want him to sleep on my upper lip, but he was still determined to do it.

LOL. I can commiserate on that one. Thankfully, Muffin eventually grew out of it. With time he grew to be a very self-assured cat who could sleep elsewhere on the bed, but it was touch and go there for a while.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

Yes, and I don't get a military discount either. Your assessment does make the numbers look better. Anyhow, a few minutes ago it occurred to me that $650 is a heck of a deal when compared with the cost of human surgery.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

I heard about that incident just a few months after the death of my dog Sassy. Somehow, having just lost Sassy made the story all the more traumatic to think about. I don't know anything about what happened after that though.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Back to work.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh! Yes it is cheap when you look at it like that!

"just as determined to sleep across my upper lip as I was determined to breathe..."

Now that just about made me roll in the floor. Such an image!

I had a gorgeous Siamese, seal point, who was determined to try something similar, but he wanted to sleep across my neck. I would wake thinking someone was trying to snuff the life right out of me and pop up out of bed fighting to breathe. Eventually he got so big he didn't fit there well, but always slept as close to my neck as he could. Long time ago, I hadn't thought of that in years.

Now Flucy cat nibbled my ear....I was single at the time and you can imagine waking in the wee hours to having your ear lobe nibbled.

Strange things are cats...but life would be so empty without them.

LOL, I thought that line was funny, too! But that must be why they tell new parents to keep cats out of the baby's room.
Makes me laugh to imagine a cat nibbling your earlobe while you sleep, too, Shar!

Cheryl, so glad to hear that things seemed better in the light of day: and congrats on the vet appointment and the new addition to your family! I'm sure Widget will be much less thrilled, but I do have faith that he'll come around in time.

The projected vet bill does seem high until you add in all the extra stuff being done, like testing, deworming, vaccinating and microchipping. With all that included, it's in the right ballpark for an urban area. And the good news is that for the most part it's a one-time expense.

And BTW, you do want her microchipped since she's been an outdoor cat. Should she ever get loose and wind up at a shelter acting semi-wild, the chip is her safety net to keep her from being euthanized and get you the phone call telling you where she is. It is the best possible proof of ownership, since it's the only kind the pet can't lose.

A baby Himmy at a naval shipyard??? Now there's a real nightmare; so glad he found a safe home with you.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

'Free' cats/kittens rarely end up free. My son rescued 4 kittens that had gotten themselves into a bad spot, mother counldn't get to them and left. They were maybe 4 weeks old, weak when he rescued them, he fed them with a dropper for a day or 2, then they got the hang of formula from a bowl (not the neatest eaters but eventually they would not climb into the bowl). When Scrambles was about 6-7 weeks old he broke his hind leg, how we still don't know. Took him to the vet, had him tested and his leg set and a cast put on it. The cast was almost as big as he was. He would still try to use the litter box but there were a few times he thought he was in but was hanging out.Had to have the cast changed every 2 weeks.I think that ran over $500.00.
We ended up keeping 2 of the kittens- Scrambles and Benny. I had them declawed and neutered-that was about $700. I love them both but it goes to show that 'free' cats aren't.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Cheryl, glad to hear you're giving a needy cat a new home. I have not doubt she and Widget will make friends in time. As for the Cat Purr CD, some one already has one out. http://chetday.com/catspurrcd.php I got it a few years ago, but did not find it very good for sleeping. Maybe because I already get purred to sleep every night by my Samson. He's a great purrer. Alway used to sleep with his head and paws resting on my head, but a few years ago when I had a ruptured disc in my neck, he started sleeping on my neck. I think he knew something was seriously wrong even before I did. I read where this is something healing about a cat's purr, all I know is that it is very comforting. Thankfully, after I ended up having a cervical spinal fusion, Samson started laying pressed against my neck instead of draped over it. I think your vet bill sounds high, but I go to a very reasonable vet. When I take all 3 of my cats and my dog for their yearly exam and shots, plus heartworm tablets, it only comes to around $100. The good thing as someone said is that it will be a one time big cost thing. I do wonder if you will find it a problem getting outside to feed the racoons this summer without Kitty trying to get out too. My little Pedro usually sleep in the same bed as Samson, but this day there just didn't seem to be enough room for him.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>'Free' cats/kittens rarely end up free.

we too have spent a small fortune on charlie.

though i do believe that when jsweld had him... some of hte good folks on her, chipped in and paid for the first vet visit so he could be tested for the Feline Leukemia.. .and the vet knocked down her bill to equal the donation... so sheri wasn't out any more cash on the little guy.

But of course, as soon as little man became a part of this family... we were only supposed to kitty sit for one day ..... he became spoiled like Buddy.

Wow, Susan, you had a 'therapy cat'! That's wonderful!
My sister's maltese likes cats, and so does my lhasa apso...sure wish I wasn't allergic to cats, as I love them.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

KY -- i have had cat allergies since i was about 8 .. for some reason - i am either NOT allergic to Charlie, or my allergies went away... though the first 2 weeks we had him, about 3 times i had 'eye itchies' but that was it. a few eye drops and no more issues. we've had him about 14 months now.

I have read that if you have one cat around you all the time, you can develop a tolerance. I'm happy for you and Charlie, that's great!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

Sometimes I recognize a good idea right away, and sometimes it has to percolate for awhile. That's how it was with the idea you presented. When you suggested that an animal society might be able to handle the job for a fraction of the price, I didn't want to go that way initially mainly because I felt the animal group would have to make up the difference out of their working budget. I felt that if I could pay, I should do so rather than take much needed money from a group with so much important work to do.

That was my main reason, but in addition I also figured (1) they probably wouldn't be able to do it while she was in heat and (2), I might have to wait a while to get an appointment when, of course, there is no time to waist now, etc, etc. But that was when I, frankly, expected a bill about 1/2 the size of the estimate I ended up with.

After a period of time looking down the barrel of that $650, your idea began to look more and more attractive. Finally, one of the guys at work said, "well if it's a stray, why don't you get the SPCA to do it. when you adopt from them the $125 or so bill includes spaying". To which I responded, "but I'm not adopting from them. I already have the cat." And he said, "But it's a stray, right? Well, call them to come and get it - and then go adopt it."

Another day or so went by and then the light started to come on. With "S" day scheduled for tomorrow and no time to waist, today I called the local SPCA just to compare notes. In a nutshell, they said they could do it Monday for $45 plus another $20 or so for rabies shots and such. The procedure they described was pretty much identical to the one at the vet right down to stitches that don't require removal and pain meds that squirt in the corner of the mouth for aftercare. I can even drop her off on my way to work and pick her up either on my way back or the following morning.

When I inquired about the difference in price vs the vet, they said they are a non-profit and thus are not trying to make money on the deal. They are just there to help the animals. It still seems like a big difference. (However, the vets with whom I had the appointment built a really nice, big, well equipped hospital about 2yrs ago. When they moved to the new building, I noticed a huge jump in their prices which went from very reasonable to "ouch" overnight. Even at the time I was thinking I was surely paying for that new building along with my pet's procedures.) I don't know for sure if the SPCA deal includes the microchip, but I can always get that done later if they can't add it in.

Anyhow, the difference was just too big to overlook, so I took that Mon morning slot and canceled my apt with the vet. Thanks. You saved me some $550+. (Yes, I know that doesn't add up mathematically, but I'm allowing for some incidentals. On Monday I'll compare notes on the extras on the vet's list, and add in any additional stuff if they can do it all at once.)

Then I came up with a compromise of sorts, a win-win hopefully. I have great respect for the SPCA and the great work that they do. I have donated money and supplies in the past. I figure when I'll donate an additional $100 to the organization, and everyone will come out ahead. I will, hopefully, have helped them rather than cutting into their budget, and they will certainly have helped me. And I will still have saved a bundle over the vet's price.

So, that is the current plan. Tomorrow is off. Monday is on. Kitty didn't seem too upset about the changes. Thanks again for the idea, even if it did take me a while to recognize it. : )

Glad to hear it! Yes, the nonprofits are not just for low-income, but for strays, too. A lot of them here do the TNR (trap, neuter, release) for strays to keep the population down. You're lucky you got a tame one that you don't have to trap!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

And there is even MORE good news. Tonight, Kitty and I celebrated over a bowl of Iams topped with one of those itty bitty thimble sized cans of Fancy Feast (which seems to be fish, probably tuna). Kitty loves that Fancy Feast. She gobbles that right up. And nothing brings those kittens out of hiding faster than the smell of a freshly opened can of the stuff.

Tonight, as soon as the aroma of the Fancy Feast reached around the shrubs, that little black kitten came jogging up the walkway and jumped right up onto the bench between his mom and me . He didn't hesitate for a second, just jumped right up there like a big fella, and here's the awesome part...
he nestled into a small spot between me and the bowl such that his hind quarters were against my leg. I was so amazed! He sat right there against my leg and ate every bit of that tuna and then ate a belly full of cat food including anything that had ever touched anything that had touched the tuna. About 1/2 way through this his mom hopped down and went around the porch column to sit and clean her paws and he just went right on eating! After his mom left, the kitten looked up and back at me a time or two, stared deep into my eyes long and hard, not just a quick glance. Each time he looked at me and I looked back; our eyes met; he studied me for a moment and then went back to eating. I can't begin to tell you how difficult it was not to touch him, but I didn't. He touched me, and that's a big step, but it's still not quite time for me to touch him - yet. But that one, he and I, we are well on the way I believe.

The other kitten is still afraid to get that close to me. She's getting closer, but despite seeing her sibling so close to me - and eating all the good stuff - she still can't quite bring herself to risk it. She is coming around slowly though. A time or two she sat a few feet away wanting that cat food so much but afraid to come to it; she sat there, looked up at me, and cried (meowed). It was a request type meow, a very clear "I want". That has to be a good sign. Meowing that way is something a cat does with someone who might be sympathetic to her needs. It's not something a cat does around a predator. She's confused, but it seems like a sign she might be starting to think more positively of me. At one point while the other kitten was up there beside me and scarfing down food, she summoned all of her nerve, marched right up to the corner of bench, and gathered herself. She was clearly a micro-second short of the jump when she stopped herself. She stayed there for a few minutes trying to get up the nerve again but finally walked away - crying. I put a small dab of the Fancy Feast in the bowl by my feet for her, and she came to my feet to eat it. She's just not quite ready to get up there on the bench beside me - yet.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

Yes, it was clear that the lady I spoke with at the SPCA was just thrilled that I was going to give the cat a home and was more than happy to take care of the spaying.

That's great news, Cheryl; and a great way to both save you a bundle and help the SPCA. They may well be able to microchip her, also; many shelters now chip their adopted animals, so have them on hand. And if Kitty is currently mating (as the nocturnal sound effects suggest), the new date is actually better since she'll probably be out of heat by Monday. A few days' pregnant is actually easier/safer surgically than in heat, I believe.

Susan, thanks for the info on the purring CD, though I'd prefer pure purring without the classical music. [Nothing against the classics, I just find purring alone more relaxing.] I'll definitely check out your link, at least as potential gifts.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Catbird,

Your $850 cat is adorable. (I figured that for Scrambles at $500 + 1/2 * $700.) I guess you have a point.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.