Some pictures of new paintings, etc.

Santa Fe, NM

Took some pictures of the 2 new paintings today. Also some pictures of the studio. I had to edit the lighting on some of the photos and decided I need a class in lighting for small flat pieces, etc. Lo and Behold, the catalog for the non-credit classes at the community college came today and my favorite photography teacher is teaching a class in exactly that! starting April 6. I would have to get home from Florida sooner than I'd like but it might be worth it.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

This is the other one. They are "Blanket Flowers".

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Hmm. Here is a studio photo. This might say something about my process. I think you might see some of my photos that I used to work from. Sort of. I think of them as reference material. Plus, I was listening to Latin jazz and African music!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Here are some of my friends!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

A detail. So, that's what I've been doing to start the new year!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Oh, I have to throw this in.

Thumbnail by roybird

beautiful!

Santa Fe, NM

Thank you!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Most exquisite RB!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oooooo OUTSTANDING and very cheerful which is the essence of Blanket Flowers IMPO.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I like them very much, roybird. And aren't palettes wonderful?
And I'm glad to see that some of your friends are rocks. What are the long brown things?

I used to use ice cube trays for mixing my silk dyes. It was a wondrous thing to rinse them out. I'd tip them and some of the colors would leak into the next ice cube slot.

Santa Fe, NM

You all are very encouraging. The long brown things are pods but I have forgotten of what. They rattle when shaken, so are fun to dance with! An important part of art making.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ah dancing is so important, just don't carry the paint jar like Jackson Pollock when you do. Or you will have to buy a lot of paint.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Very fun.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

actually, no, DO carry the paint jar while dancing.... that would be most fun. but reminds me of a time when I was taking home an "important" piece of graphic artwork from a studio to my home to do some work on it. On the bus. Sitting in front of me were two rather large and very giggly highschool girls who had a project they were also taking home. each of them had a paper cup, uncovered, filled with tempera paint.

i was a teeny bit nervous that some of the tempera paint might splatter on the everso important piece of advertising I was carrying in a not fully protective container....... on this crowded bus with the giggling and large and tempera-bearing Devas.

Fortunately, the god of advertising won the tussle of control with the goddess of spontaneous art effects (one of the Masques worn by Coyote, you understand) -- in this instance, fortunate because my livlihood at that time had something to do with the fate of this important ad campaign....... fortunately, the giggling tempera remained in its cups.

Roybird, lovely paintings and my, what a very classy group of friends, too! thanks!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Pretty! I love your paintbox, too... it just speaks of possibility! I envy those of you who can paint...

Santa Fe, NM

Kyla, I like to flick drops of paint on to my paintings sometimes! It is a controlled flick but leaves room for "happy accidents". Good story about the open paint on the bus. Thank-you! And Brenda, thanks. I think everyone can paint, tho, if they want to. Just need to let go of any set idea about results for awhile.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

my first attempts at watercolor were so unpleasant to look at I could not bear to keep trying! I highly respect anyone who has any skill with that medium.

thank you for sharing your paintings.........

I one time worked for a rather crazy man who created an "art form" he named "Squart" which consisted of filling plastic squirt guns with watercolor and firing them off wherever the mood struck one to aim them.

His kitchen became total spatterware rather quickly.

bizarre old dude he was but it was a fun job mostly.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I have a harder time seeing that as art. It is certainly expressive, but I see art as creating something. Art isn't just random.

Santa Fe, NM

I would say there is a random factor, though. There are many kinds of painters and paintings. My friend I visited today has done some very large paintings and sculptures using all manner of materials. She is fearless! Her art has a great deal of randomness. She has never been constrained by lack of space, lack of money or lack of imagination! Her career has really taken off over the last 10 - 15 years and she is just a force of nature. Her work makes my stuff look very restrained and conventional. She is prolific, too. There are plenty of people who have called her art bizarre and crazy but she has just gone right ahead doing whatever she wants to. It has taken a long time for her to get positive recognition as an artist. Another friend, a landscape painter, does a completely different sort of art. He does meticulous oils and is known as a plein air painter and teaches workshops all over the west. He uses photographs and a projector in his studio paintings. He is very concerned with marketing his work and how his work is shown in the various galleries. Yet another painter friend does many detailed drawings before she starts to paint and makes only two dozen paintings in an average year. Many are sold before she finishes them. She also does commissioned paintings and works very closely with the clients to please them. I could go on and on. Art has a huge range of styles, methods, possibilities! Techniques can be taught and learned but otherwise there are no restrictions!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Dave, I hear ya. This guy was very "dada" in approach, they don't respect much. think Marcel Duchamp or even more, Ray Johnson (whom you may not even have heard of, check out movie How To Draw A Bunny)

anyway, yeah that was just the FORM -- the art was in how it showed up. Or, was supposed to be.

Indeed it does range widely, folks who labor for years and years and never share anything, think emily Dickinson (tho she was not visual artist same principle applies IMO.)

Ah well...... I just like lookin at pretty things, me.

;-)

Santa Fe, NM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have another artist friend who paints landscapes that are very brown and I would say not pretty. He feels his work captures a realism that "pretty" landscapes do not. He opines that Cezanne was "not really an artist". I have heard many opinions from artists and viewers. There is no absolute. I like lots of styles of art in lots of art forms, theater, music, film, painting, photography, writing, etc.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Roybird, thanks for posting your work. It looks different than some of your previous work I have seen. Fun to evolve, hey?

The "long brown things" look like monkey pods. I got some in Mexico a few years back and they make great rattles. But I don't know a latin name for the tree they grow on.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I do agree that "randomness" can be used in creating art. A forest is a prime example to my eyes. The placing of various plants has a degree of randomness to it, but there are also patterns and correlations, and something is created in the growing of a forest.

I'll bet your friend who paints the brown landscapes is not fond of pastel howling coyotes either, roybird.

Santa Fe, NM

He is not! Good guess, Dave. He is not a fan of any abstract or abstract expressionism, either. He has a rather strict and limited view of art from having studied too much art history and not making his own enough, yet! Ha! That's IMHO, goes without saying. Interesting that my new stuff looks different to you, Mulch. It may be the influence of all the photography. We'll see where that leads.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

roybird, Thanks for letting us see what you are painting now, very pretty colorful Blanket Flowers. Just keep showing us what you are painting. Your watercolor palette looks well used.

Many years ago when i was much younger I did a few watercolors, not very good but i did enjoy trying. Here are a couple , The cow skull is typical of what one might see out in the hills around here.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

And here is a church.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Santa Fe, NM

Nice, Donna. Thanks for showing us!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Those are nice. You both have more skill than I do.

Santa Fe, NM

Here is another picture! A recent painting and a poorly taken picture.

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am really behind. I just discovered this wonderful thread. Thanks, roybird for sharing the beautiful blanket flower pictures. It is a wonderful painting and quite different from what I have seen of your work, previously. I bet you are right about the photography affecting it. I like the bee and flower painting, too.
Sorry, it took me so long to find this!

Santa Fe, NM

Thank you. Sometimes it takes awhile when you're busy with the non-virtual world. No problema!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, the non-virtual world has definitely been too much with me lately.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I never considered keeping up with every thread an obligation requiring an apology if you were a day late! ;)

Santa Fe, NM

I think Pajarito is just being careful considering how volatile some threads have gotten recently. There was quite an upset for a few hours on the "Cornbread" thread in Recipes, for example. I think it all started with honey butter! No, I'm Not kidding. It is January and winter will not be over for awhile yet.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Quote from roybird :
There was quite an upset for a few hours on the "Cornbread" thread in Recipes, for example. I think it all started with honey butter!

Methinks people should switch to herbie butter. Very mellowing in the time of the cold and the dark and smells like summer ^_^

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

well honey butter IS delicious, and possibly worth fighting for....

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Butter choice is such a volatile subject. So if someone likes honey-herbie butter, would they be accepted or ostacized by each of the butter groups?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ostracized by the purests for sure. and I wouldn't even think about saying 'margarine' out loud :O

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

my honey IS a herbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.