Wierd Weather of 2010 #1

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Sally, this winter is NOT long! It's so very short by Midwest or Montana standards.

Is your river like mine? In the summer it slows to a shallow trickle among beautiful boulders & I can walk for a mile in either direction by hopping among the rocks & grottoes ... (grottos?)

Eugene, OR

I realize it isn't long by midwest standards, but come March......I want to plant and have to wait for the last freeze that we always seem to get. That's what makes it seem long.

The Coast Fork of the Willamette is behind our property, which is a community owned by 99 units. It goes way down in summer and right now is running high. You can walk across in one spot in summer but the rest is too deep and runs to fast. We have people coming by on inner tubes in summer. I can walk the rocks (in winter they're covered) along side the river but not too far.

If you'd like to see part of it go here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986949/

(Judi)Portland, OR

I am in love with oregon as well. I took my dog up to Mt Hood the other day to go snowshoeing and it was so beautiful. Breathtaking, whether you are in a deep forest or on top of a mountain. There is a certain vibe here in the PNW that accepts and respects the natural world. Summerkid, I can't sleep without my window open at least a little bit.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I lived in Kelso and often traveled along the Columbia to do large animal in Oregon. I remember many rainy days, kind of, but each fog filled sunny morning along the river is a picture with a million memories.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I can see what you mean about winter stretching on even if it's not particularly cold. I was sorting photos on the computer last night & looked in wonder at the ones of the garden last summer -- seems like YEARS ago that I could sit on the front steps in the sun & plant containers.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I take it back! Today was lovely, and there are some daffodils & perhaps scilla sprouting, and look! Something besides the hellebores is blooming! It's fragrant, too. Weigela? Some sort of viburnum? The bush is about 9 feet high & leafless.

Thumbnail by summerkid
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Summer - it's Viburnum bodnantense, or Dawn Viburnum, whose flowers have been descibed as having the colour of cold pink flesh.
I've been unsuccessful in shaking that description from my brain.
Nice fragrance, too.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2010 8:59 PM

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oooooh, katye, I love that description! Since it's blooming right near where I took a header into the river, seems appropriate.

Viburnum ... so cool. Never had one of those. Could I prune the blooming branches & bring them into the house?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Yup. Cold flesh - that's my problem with the Twilight series. I love the story, but can't get past the cold flesh. Maybe if I picture Edward's flesh like Viburnum bodnantense it will help . . .

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Yes you may do this Summer. I think they like it on the chillier side, but if you're keeping your house cool it should not be a problem.
The fragrance reminds me of a particular bubble bath from very early chidhood.
My - that was so very long ago.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Hey, how do you guys know with such certainty what variety of viburnum is blooming in my meadow? I was thinking that there would be hundreds of hybrids.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, Summer, you will find that these guys are AWESOME in their identyfying abilities.

Olympia, WA

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64304/

Here is the DG info!!!!!!!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

You'll note that most often people give you the genus and species name.

If they give you the cultivar name, it's usually because there is a popular cultivar or because the differences in cultivars is pretty noticeable. And often people will suggest a cultivar or tell you that "they think" that's what it is.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

In some ways, I wish the Plant Finder was organized a bit more generically - with the genus and species showing up first and all cultivars somehow subbed below. I do try to locate the generic genus and species first to check the general growing conditions, problems, etc., and then look further for specific cultivars to admire the diversity and see if I can actually identify one of my own.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Summer - i am truly geekish about plants, and I happen to have a love-affair with shrubs. They are good for sitting under or next to because the birds often congregate there safely. Easier to identify what you grow. Particularly those that are classified as "smell-goods"...

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Yeah, this is great, since I haven't ever lived in one place long enough to mess around with shrubs. Except for the Physocarpus 'Diabolo' that grew beautifully in Illinois -- very truly one of the best plants around.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Oh yes! i have Summer Wine & Coppertina. Looking for more places to plant another one. Fun stuff!!!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Beware of 'Diabolo' -- the tags misstate its mature height as 8-10'.

More like 12-15', and it grows quickly, so it makes a nice seasonal privacy hedge.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The mixing of shrubs in the planning of the garden gives so much creativity with shape, bloom time, defining borders, and color of berries.
"The glory of the garden it abideth not in words" Kipling

This message was edited Jan 15, 2010 9:17 PM

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

People who aren't looking for the beauty of the Physocarpus bark can chop Ninebark down every season and keep it smaller . . .

Funny, SK, I read a review a couple of years ago that said that the P. opulifolius 'Diablo' had an octopus like shape and that it didn't grow with anywhere as nice the form as 'Dart's Gold' or the species plant. Mine's only about 3 years old and the jury's still out for me - at least on the shape. I love the plant as I have it in a problematic area that represents PNW well (clay - dry in summer, sometimes standing in water for periods in winter). Since it's a native, I figured I'd put it smack dab in the middle and it's done gret so far.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

My Diablo is about 7' though it is only about 8 years old. I quit pruning because it flowers so much more without.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

OK, geeks, I truly think it's spelled 'Diabolo,' because that's how I find it trademarked & listed at university sites. Though most nurseries go with 'Diablo.'

Here's a site that purports to explain it:

http://landscaping.about.com/od/shrubsbushes/p/diablo_ninebark.htm

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You are always right but it's parent is : " 'Monlo' is the cultivar". So mom and dad want their kid to carry the same spelling. LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I am NOT always right, my darling, but I AM a former state spelling champ of the state in which you reside. Must uphold the legacy.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Ok. Noted. Thank you for setting us straight.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I knew that all intellegent people are born or move the the "Last greatest (people) place" Summer.
I have to let the 'Diablololo" grow because I have it interspaced with 'Arthritic Willow' to have the color and texture vary in a border that I want to screen the neighbors. I have to prune my willow to 3' each year and it grows to over 9' each summer with the fountain effect while the ninebark is more upright with a little fountain at the tips.
This is an unpruned 'Artic Willow' that I use to round out an exposed corner to the road.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I resemble that "Arthritic Willow" LOL

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

That's so funny, Willow! Same here, as I get used to chopping wood every day.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

You definatly have an interesting life style. You will have lots of muscles upon which to get bruises. ^_^

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Yeah, Jack is always asking me things like, "Did you know you have a huge purple bruise on your butt?"

(No, I did not.)

One of the reasons for moving here was to change up that frozen-winter-nowhere-to-hike-in-the-cornfields-no-beaches-for-running lifestyle, which was threatening to make me pudgy, sedentary & sick.

That's why I don't mind the rain. Osita & I just got back from a run in the drizzle -- we went up a mountain trail where the trees provide some protection -- we both are out of breath but quite pleased with ourselves. Now off to chop wood, make ceviche & settle in front of my latest jigsaw puzzle with a beer & watch college basketball.

Life is good. Simply good!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Simple is good.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Yesterday was beautiful! It was chilly but the sun was out and it felt good. Today we are back to rain. Mother Nature is a tease.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I have grasped every opportunity to be outside when it has been dry. Still remembering how horribly wet last spring was and am enjoying temps that don't involve numb fingers!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I took advantage of the gloomy wet day to order some daylilies from the Snowpeak sale. I am kindly sharing this with all of you, so you too can spend more money while envisioning future sunshine and beauty.

Yesterday, I managed to finish weeding the blueberries, which had become overrun with stealth buttercup, seemingly in the blink of an eye while I wasn't looking last Fall.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Any good tips on pruning blueberries? Our very best crop was the year we had a bull in and he 'pruned' the bushes for us. For some reason, I tend to battle crabgrass in my blueberries. The buttercups prefer the raspberries and some years I just convince myself the canes appreciate a bit of color at their feet and let them be.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have always used 'bull shears' when I could.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

It got up to 60 today with morning rain and fierce winds.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

BH - prune them soon - over the next month or so, depending on the weather. Sooner, if it seems to be staying in this warmish pattern. You want to open the bush up somewhat for sun & circulation. I shape mine - sort of, & cut off anything that is crossing. Pruning will stimulate new growth from the base.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I feel glum.
It is pouring rain & dreary out there. The house feels dark.
There is a leak in my roof.
I am declaring a snow day & from here on out will only drink beer & watch basketball.
The dishes will remain undone & the rug unvacuumed.
Perhaps the sheets will remain unchanged & I will just sleep in my sweats.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.