Omelet and the Hat (i.e. Hattus Horribillis)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

((HUGS)))) so sorry for your loss

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O greykyttyn that is so very sad. {{{{greykyttyn}}} Beaming up from Albequerque. Wonderful visit with MissJestr and Billy and beautiful drive across northern AZ and NM. Saw a good buddy's garden when we got in last night and now up to Santa Fe today to spend a couple of days with my dear friend roybird. Alas I was advised my customsgal that laying an egg in the US customs clearing area would cause an international incident :O She was very nice about it though as I was bringing chocolate into the country ^_^ I am shocked and appalled that you 'ladies' have not mentioned thusfar the essentiallness of crinolins. I do believe they are mandatory attire. Pink crinolins are preferred. Please note dear Claire that 'crinolin' is spelled 'crinolin' everywhere except in the luvly states of NC & SC where it is spelled crinoline.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I used to wear crinolins.....when I was a year or two old.....lol! I didn't have a choice then. Wish I could wear my corset everyday, it makes my back feel so good. You have such nice posture too. The only downside is when you drop something, you have to have someone else pick it up.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oooh, I do have a crinoline (that is how it is spelled in the province of Claire) and it came from Laura Ashley many years ago. I don't wear it often but occasionally under a full long gown. I have a corset of sorts that I bought from a Rennaissance Festival and it's quite....wenchful....but at the moment my law school weight gain prevents me from wearing it. Boo hiss.

Clarkson, KY

Crinoline every time. Corset?! Hmmm...

Richmond, TX

I thought corsets were designed to combat weight gain - or its appearance at least. Some corset!

And crinolines need to be worn under something longish, otherwise, if the wearer sits, the back squashes and the front rises with unattractive results.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2009 2:18 PM

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Corsets, or at least the type I have, define your shape; for other people they redefine your shape.

Clarkson, KY

I want one to keep my shape from constantly redefining itself...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yes the problem with the current corset is that it laces up the sides and with added "fluffiness" to my present shape, it results in some unsightly bulging. Very bad.

greykttn i m so sorry to hear the news of your kitty .
Cmoxon , i envy you for not having watched tv . It rots the brain ! believe me , you should see mine ! rotted to the bone it is i tell ya's
bulging is bad . i have a lot of that too :( i feel your pain.

Clarkson, KY

Well...we had poor enough signal it almost counted as not watching tv.

We did get to watch cartoons during the day in the summer though. No one was allowed outside between 12 and 3 in the direct sun...

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

When I was a kid television was rather primitive: I Love Lucy, Willie the Worm, Ramar of the Jungle, Ed Sullivan. We strictly moderated boob-tube watching with our kids, though; in fact we didn't even have a television set until my FIL insisted on giving us an old B&W model so "the baby" could watch some shows. He clearly felt the child was being deprived. Even then, we didn't allow Sesame Street but he (and subsequently they) were permitted to watch Mr. Rogers and Once Upon a Classic, and the requisite holiday cartoons with Charlie Brown. The kids were always busy doing things, and they had farm chores, too; I think it was a good way to grow up.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

I wasn't aloud to watch any tv at all when I was a kid....didn't see a show until I was 10 or 11 at a friends house....With my kids, we have a tv but no channels. I give them 1 hour or so on school nights after homework and before supper (the amount of time varies depending on how long it takes them to do their homework) To watch some pre-approved cartoons...I'm very strict about what those can be.

How old are your kids, Batflower? I found you could only do that for so long, and then they were over at friends' houses watching whatever!

during winter i think my kids watch more than i would prefer , but its better than video games ? ! and winter doesn't last long soon spring and summer will be here and we will be more busy in the garden and outside . They would rather be outside then inside .
they are good students and get their stuff done so they can watch tv. Not to picky on what they watch thought i guess i should be ? they do love Hanna Montana.

We have lots of stuff for our granddaughter to do in the house - games, toy sets, Legos, puzzles, dolls. One of her favorite presents a few years ago was an electronic snap circuits set; you could make lots of different devices on a board. She played with it for hours and took it out repeatedly. At this point, though, she's twelve, and now she'd rather read or go on the computer. I tried teaching her to knit and should make another stab at it ... (!) My DIL wants to learn, too, but GD picked it up more quickly, interestingly enough. We've also done some sewing. And she loves to cook or bake with me; I have a number of kid cookbooks.

Unless she's sick or has just had a tooth pulled we don't turn the tv on. It's in the upstairs den, anyway, so it's not really a central object in our house.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

My kids are still young, 5 and 7. I know it can't last for ever, but at least I know I did my best not to expose them to violence or commercials (yes my kids have never seen a commercial) for as long as I could...and yes they do get 30 min to an hour of homework a night....which I think is too much but its not my call....

For me Video games are much less monitored than tv. They don't have video game time during the week but on the weekend, in the winter, they can play as long as they want. (again I'm picky about what games are aloud tho..) We have a wii so playing video games means lots of activity.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

My kids also love to cook, play outside over doing almost anything else, and love their lego, dolls and love crafts of all kinds...I love doing those things with them. No better way to pass the time :-)

Sounds like you're giving your kids the gift of being able to amuse themselves without needing electronic babysitters. That's so great! It takes a lot more time for the parent but I'm sure it's well worth it in the end.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I agree Greenhouse, It does take alot more time, but in the end it is worth it. Billy is so much farther than his older brother and sister, and they get bored when they come to my house since there is no video games or cable. I send them outside...

Brookville, PA(Zone 5a)

I guess i'm going to date my self when i say i watched Rin Tin Tin, Sky King, Roy Rogers, Lone Ranger and alot of other good shows when i was young..those were teh shows that werent violent and just good stuff..most always was a happy ending..some shows now i cant even decide whats going on..love the discovery channel..always something good on there
cindy

i love the national Geographic channel

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Cindy I am dated to. We only have a tv off and on during my child hood and I read a lot. I also remember Robin hood, the Crisco Kit. Now I whatch the History Channels, National Geographic, and the Discovery channels. Most of the "modern" shows stink, and the so called funny shows are not. Loved Red Shelton and Bob Hope.

Clarkson, KY

Cindy -I saw those. And Mom would reminisce about 'em. lol...

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

:) i just introduced the kids to the old fashioned Nintendo. Its a great stress relief to play Mario Bros or Mario Kart. But we NEVER were allowed to play constantly as children. an hour here or there. We watched tv.. but i normally watched tv, read a book & carried on a conversation with my parents at the same time. I preferred to be outside.. summertime i never saw the tv.. it was mostly winter when there wasn't much to do. I always loved ice storms & snow when the power went off bc i could still entertain myself & my friends never could.

isn't it funny how children adapt to their enviornment s . My kids can entertain them selves too and when their friends come over its like . deer in the headlight look , kinda sad. But after some time they kick in to gear and find other things we do at our house fun ! like playing with an imagination . sad some kids are so lacking in that area. What happened ?
My dd loves to read and color

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I still love to color. :) My friends were the same way. Part of them would come over & they wouldn't want to go outside, never rode a bicycle, wouldn't swim in a creek, hated dirt, hated bugs, didn't know how to cook (still don't).

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

funny story, we went over to one of my daughter's school friends houses last week. The girls got on fine, played, had fun. When snack time came around, my daughter's friend's dad asks me what to give her. "she'll eat anything" I say. He proceeds to make sandwiches with white bread, processed cheese, and some sort of meat. My Daughter takes one look at the food, starts laughing hysterically, and says, "I want real food, not plastic play food" after much prompting, she took one bite of the cheese, spit it out and said it tasted like play food too. She also saw a can of soup in their kitchen and was sooo fascinated by it.....She asked me 100 times how they could make something as big as soup (which we keep in ice cream containers in the deep freeze and I make, in bulk in a huge pot) in something as small as a can..... I think next time we go to the grocery store, we'll walk down all the isles and I'll tell her what everything is. However, I was proud that she'll eat any vegi you put in front of her, sheep cheese, goat cheese, rye bread....but she drew the line at processed food :-)

How old did you say your daughter was? How lovely that she's never had to deal with soup in a can before. But how did her friend's dad react to her opinion of his snack?

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

she's 5 , and friend's dad told me that if he wasn't a single dad he would like to live in the country and take the time to do all those extra little things for his family. Reminds me how grateful I am for what me and my husband are able to provide. .... and daughter's friend and her Dad are coming out to the farm to sled on our big hill and skate on our home made rink next week. :-)

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

:) i found ZZ... she's coming to JOPLIN!!!!!

it use to embarrass me to take the kids I babysit to someone's house & have them state they would prefer more meat & more fresh veggies, fewer junk foods. They were like 4 & 5. They eat lots of veggies & very few things like chips & such. I bought a can of Easy Cheese bc they wanted to know what it was. It was hilarious (they are 11 & 13 now) bc they were fascinated by it. it was a special treat to get easy cheese when i was a kid.. but that's bc you could take it on the truck with you & it didn't spoil.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OK I'm trying to remain cool and as collected as one can be when one has happy feet but there be cows (some of which are sporting the longed horn look) and horses all around and birds about so I'm sure there are ducks QUACK! There be a place we found of 3.5 acres with a barn and a view of the valley and a modular with 2 bedrooms so all Cousins can visit. Did I mention that I'm trying to be cool and casual?!?!?!?! Did I mention there's a barn?!?!?!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is WAY TOO EXCITING that ZZ is coming to Joplin Greykyttyn ^_^

Clarkson, KY

That is indeed very cool. But Dahls must also tell about the barn...

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

oo.. missed that.. I want to hear all about the barn & the land & the view... pictures maybe of the barn? happy feet are good!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is all I know so far Cousin Nut. "30X50 Barn, may convert to shop. Electric and water at barn. Has tack room, metal corrals" I'm thinking that 'tack room' and 'corrals' = horse fabby ^_^ I have not seen it yet. I will pictify it when I do. I am breathing deeply to remain cool and calm. I spose I must look at the peoplehouse before the barn? I think that might be expected. Perchance DH could look at the peoplehouse while I went straight to the barn? Would that have the potential to be a good barn Cousin Grow do you think?

Richmond, TX

Look at the barn and the land first. That's how we bought our property. Any house would do, I felt, if the rest of the property was suitable.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

you have a very good point porkpal....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am SO there porkpal. Thanks everso! I actually have no interest in the peoplehouse part at all. Methinks it's realitively easypeasy to change the peoplehouse part if need be. Also there is just 2 of us healthypeoples so we don't need anything much for a peoplehouse.

Clarkson, KY

Just as song as it is theoretically liveable...barn and site firstest of all. porkpal had it. most definitely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.