Omelet and the Hat (i.e. Hattus Horribillis)

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Bon courage vraiment, Claire!

I don't know whether cohabiting with a male not one's spouse alleviates the spinster spectre; I do think that virginity is assumed with that label, so only you (and perchance Kelly) would know whether it still applies (evil chuckle...)

Kyttyn, my mother actually attended Finishing School, and oft did she attempt to dissuade me (as did my optometrist uncle) from resorting to spectacles unless no potential mates were in the vicinity. Since I'm blind as a bat (no aspersions intended, O Batflower) without visual aids I early resisted their blandishments and went about bespectacled and able to navigate - to say nothing of being able to read the blackboard. It was she as well who warned me against appearing to have an IQ above 95.... We also had live-in help who did all the cooking when I was a mite. No tea parties, though. My sainted mother preferred bridge.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I have heard from D-Nut, she is about an 1/2 hour from me... WHOOO HOOOOO

Oh, how cool, Roseanne! Keep us posted! We await further news!

ROFLLLL Jonathon Winters ROFLLLLL i love it. Nanu Nanu
i didn't marry until i was 35 !
Have fun MissJester
I have heard of them women .... the ones that are always clean,parfume smelling and puuurdy , full of ruffles and shiny shoes . ...... they scare me ..... :0
i had a grandmother like that ..... i always ran when i saw her coming with a brush in hand .LOL

Clarkson, KY

LOL!! My grandmother was a tomboy -born in 1903 to a Victorian "lady" My mother was a tomboy with Victorian "lady" wannabe sisters and Victorian "lady" "Aunties" Ugh. No finishing schools, just respectable women's colleges. All of them tried to fix me as I looked the part. And I'm actually the throwback who gets in trouble for being too girly. Then I get in trouble again because while I may look all peaches and cream and commendably low IQ. Well. I tend to disappoint there too. Wild and not at ALL easy to control, lol. Heh...

Where's the poop about Dahls and MsJ??

any pics yet on them two ? what is their ETA ?
grownut LOL you wild ??? i would never guess that *wink* :)

Clarkson, KY

lol. that's the funny...to look at me you wouldn't. 5'2" blonde, blue eyed. Absolutely innocent looking. Nobody but nobody expects wit or grit or anything out of that. Shoulda heard me take down the Union Man when he started telling me what I had to do and what he could do for me...shoulda seen his face too!! too funny.

Clarkson, KY

should say I WAS...

Grownut, that is definitely funny. Don't you love it when you violate the idiots' expectations that way? When we were building our house, DH used to sic me on tradespeople who were trying to get away with not following the plans, messing up in general, or not using the quality of fixtures agreed upon. One day I was speaking to the owner of the company and standing my ground about something they'd done wrong, and he said, "Mrs. F, I can see why my men are afraid to talk to you. You're a hard woman to deal with!"

I was SO proud! Got my way, too. And yeah, I'm 5'4" with light brown hair and blue eyes - or at least I was then. And I look innocent, too....

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Still nobody has told me about this Mr. Winters.

G_G, with regard to "assumptions" about "labels" we all know what happens when we assume....LOL....

I think Dahlianut has abducted MissJ.

Lodi, United States

It is so hard to acculturate a Canadian....

Jonathan Winters was a brilliant improvisational comedian who first appeared in the 50s. He was so original that no one knew what to make of him....He has also had a profound influence on modern improve comedy...Robin Williams took much of his approach to humour from JW--Williams was so in awe of Winters that when Robin Williams was in the 70s comedy "Mork and Mindy" he arranged to have Jonathan Winters play the role of his son, hatched as a full grown older man from an enormous egg.

Here is an example of Jonathan Winters' improv on an early Jack Paar show: It was at a time when every other comedian just stood on stage and delivered a series of pre-written jokes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwWDa1xPTPA&feature=related

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Goodness, he's quite funny! I don't usually like comedians either. And I especially don't like things in black and white. But he made me laugh out loud. That's rather good!

It's especially hard to acculturate a Canadian who was allowed to watch television for 2 hours a WEEK, yes, WEEK. My parents did not believe in television for things other than the news or science programmes. Ergo, no TV unless pre-approved and educational in nature. I also wasn't allowed a radio until I was 12. And we only listened to classical music in our house, for which I still have a preference, although I also listen to some rather eclectic electronic dance music which confounds my mother to no end. And some cool jazz of course. Mostly I read books and did arts and crafts with my mother, or played on my swingset and imagined things while sitting in trees.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Oh what a lovely Visit with Dalianut and her husband. She is a wonderful woman. They aer looking for somewhere to be snowbirds, and are checking out New Mexico and Arizona. We had coffee and Billy and I had supper they had pie. She is a delightful woman. She loves the sport of Rodeo, YEA... we talked about the Calgary Stampede, which now I want to get my passport and go there. I have pix and upload them tomorrow. She brought Billy some chocolate, and although Billy was full of vinegar, (it was his school party and I am sure plenty of sugar) he was all ears when she made him a deal to eat his carrots and he would get some chocolate. It was really good since he is sharing... I hope to see her again, and she asked Billy to teach her to ride, and he said he would... It is nice to put a name with a face... I wish them godspeed in their journey.

Clarkson, KY

Thanks, Catsy! And apologies to Claire for not doing that sooner...

g_g -another thing the ladies in my family always said was that a "lady" always managed to accomplish what was required. Don't let those boys gt away with stuff! lol.

Sample -lotta commercial start at about 1:40 maybe??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHH3czLcQ1Y&feature=related

Clarkson, KY

Claire - I should add here...I was also threatening you with the hatch of a fully grown adult human child...;~)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh MissJ I am so, so envious of you having the delight of meeting another DG friend. I have met ZZ's daughter and she is a firecracker. I loved having dinner with her. Other than that I haven't met any of the "usual folks" and would love to have the opportunity. One day I will show up on Grow or Catsy's doorstep and they will be all kerfluffled.

The Calgary Stampede is AWESOME and I am not even usually a rodeo type of person but I loved it, and especially the blacksmithing speed competition. Boy are those guys built....ahemm.....excuse me, my mind was wandering for but a moment...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Grownut, that would be fine. IN fact, that would be the ONLY circumstance under which I would ever even remotely consider having a child. They would have to come out fully grown and competent of handling all their own needs. I would love to go shopping with them or have dinner out or have them help on the farm and whatnot, but as for all that baby and infant care business.....bleuch....don't EVEN go there! NO wiping of butts, no wiping of noses, no pitiful crying episodes, no unnecessary noise (that includes laughter for no identifiable reason), no tummy aches, no grammatically incomprehensible sentences, no requirement for pureed food items, no requirement for laundry, taxi service, dinner service, or any other sort of service unless it suits my schedule. And NO bothering Mommy when she is studying, reading, spinning, computering, or otherwise busy. See....see why I don't have children?

Clarkson, KY

;~)

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Well no Claire, Billy is past the puree'd stage, aw heck a few of them stages, and he is good at helping around the farm... Sure you dont want him for a few???

Bridgewater, ME

cmoxon how are the sizzles doing?Still in the hat?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The sizzles are doing well. I made coats for them and blogged about it here:

http://chooksiniowa.blogspot.com

Pepper keeps on pulling her coat off. They found out yesterday that they really like spaghetti.

I also had 2 new chicks hatch yesterday. The eggs were in the incubator but I had intended to throw them out. They were FOUR days overdue. I have never, ever had a chick hatch so late, and they both hatched that late. How strange. Two cute little black barnyard mixes. Looks like 1 hen and 1 roo.

Bridgewater, ME

I love there coats!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I see she does not want to comment on my sending Billy, you know he is really a big help around the house... or the barn....

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

TADAAAA DNut or Auntie Dahlia as Billy calls her, and her husband Len
In Sunny Kingman Arizona

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

The two of us

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Sitting on the front porch of cracker barrel

This message was edited Dec 16, 2009 11:21 AM

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

MissJ - I would be delighted to host Billy when is around 15 or so. I think we would get along much better then. :-) So I will take a "rain check" on it! Tee hee!

LOVE the pics of you and the DahliaDiva. You all look fabulous. What a great day it looks to have been for you also, in terms of the weather. I'm very very envious but I still haven't managed to lay the egg. I wonder if Dahlia laid hers. She was getting close I think. My coworker's daughter is named Dahlia, and my Dad is named Len. How funny is that. Anyway, back to work...

Clarkson, KY

Love it!! Thanks so much!!

Watch out, Claire! Lashley's dying to get to your place and likely before 15!! ooops!!

What great pictures, and how nice to see what Dahlia, her DH, and MissJestr really look like. Thanks for posting those!

great pics of you all. Billy is a cute kid :)
I have a brother with no children he is the same way . He likes them in the older years. He just isn't a baby person. I get that . baby barf running down my chest with no towel around to grab is not for the timid LOL *just kidding *
Do you all remember the Carol Burnett show ? i love Harvey Corman. i would pee in my pants, he was so funny !
Cmoxon were you a PBS kid ? i was . You only got 2 hrs a week ? wow . my kids would die ! sheesh. I could do with out tv. Not much good on it anyway. I love movies.
glad to hear the chicks are doing good.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yes, Taynors, I watched a science program on PBS called "3-2-1 Contact" that was science for young people, and sometimes I was allowed to watch a special on Nova or a National Geographic special. I used to love those. I just hear that National Geographic theme song and I get all excited.

never saw Carol Burnett. Heard of her though. Same with lots of these shows people talk about. I never saw "I Love Lucy," never saw the thing with Beaver whatever that was called, never watched Sesame Street, never watched cartoons at all (not educational don't you know!), never saw the Beverly Hillbillies or Gilligan's Island or any of that stuff. After I was in my teens, if I went for a sleepover at a friend's house, we would watch a little TV sometimes and I got to see some sitcoms that way, and music videos.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Hummm Billy gets to watch PBS, Ruff Ruffman is his favorite, and some Spongebob, and what he watches at school, but not alot of sitcoms... We watch alot of animal programs, I love the cloud series...
If he turns out to be a great person like you Claire, then I know it was the TV.
I miss National Geographic, my grandparents gave me a subscription when I was young up into my teens.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Go to the National Geographic web site. Very good site.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

i'm around here somewhere.. but idk how much. I just found my favorite cat drowned in the pool. so... i'm kinda.. not in the posting mood much. I'll sulk here alone.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh Grey, I'm so so sorry to hear about your cat. That's the last thing you needed right now. Why is it that our favourites always die? This always happens when I pick a favourite chicken so I try not to pick favourites any more because it feels like they are doomed if I pick them. Cats don't even like pools....why would it go in there? It must have been spooked by something. Hugs to you.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Grey, that's terrible, I'm sooo sorry.... I lost my fav. cat a few weeks ago, I can relate :-( sending you lots of hugs

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

He probably fell in when we got a sudden freeze. ITs an above ground & the metal edge would get slick with ice. He liked to perch on the edge & watch teh chickens. I couldn't find anyone to help me put the cover on so I'd just be praying I'd not lose a cat or chicken to the water. he was my dad's cat. One of the kids & I found him, we tried to break enough ice to get him out, i didn't want to leave him in there over night but its a 24 ft pool & I could only reach so far in to break ice. I looked till my hands were numb & the sun went down but after finding him the first time we had lost him. I brought all the cats inside tonight much to my mothers dismay. She's very upset they are in here but i can't risk another one tonight. He's the best cat ever. I've never seen another cat as good as he was & I've had a lot of cats in my life time.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

sorry to hear grey...

Clarkson, KY

awful...

Lodi, United States

I am so very sorry....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.