Anyone for Longwood Gardens?

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Ric, the K Gallery is wonderful ! Thanks for sharing. I be looking at them again for sure.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Awesome! I love the touches in the house also, esp where they decorated the inside of the fireplaces.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

The lily ponds were running last summer when I was there. The whole place is magical. Did they keep the treehouses up? I thought it was just a temporary exhibit. They were really cool. I could live very happily in a couple of them.

somewhere, PA

They had the treehouses up when I was there last summer. I believe
they decided to keep them up.

Tam

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Great! they were awesome!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, Were the fountains all along the wall across the lawn from the conservatory working this summer?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yes, for the fountain show do you mean? I remember we had two wheelchairs that we arranged for the fountain/music show. Other than that, I don't remember. sigh I've slept a few times since then.
One of the treehouses was wheelchair accessible with a ramp, but to get to the ramp was absolute torture - trying to maneuver through wood chips. Poor mom got bounced around a bit.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Maybe they are now only running those fountains and filling the ponds in summer then. They haven't been operational for some time now in the spring, fall and winter. But it can't just be a change of schedule. There were signs over the ponds about their maintenance issues. One of the workers spoke with me about the status of the overhaul, but that was at least 2 to 3 years ago.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from Tammy :
They had the treehouses up when I was there last summer. I believe
they decided to keep them up.

Tam

Treehouses, plural? Wow - where were they? The only treehouse I recall seeing when we visited in late May last year was that big 2-story one past the pond with the frogs in it... (I think). It would be to the far right as you walked into the grounds? If there are more, I'd love to see them the next time I visit.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think there are 3 of them I only saw the one that was in a grove of trees between the restaurant and the house. This link will take you to some info on them.
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/NaturesCastles.html

Thanks, Holly - the only one we saw is the one pictured at the top of the article you linked to. Now I'll have more to hunt on my next visit!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is Shirley's pic of one of them with some of the MA crew last May

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh and what a crew they are!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Another one

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Details on the last one

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

A pic of ladygardener's

edited for spelling.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2010 8:33 PM

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

and another from her

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowerjen,

Are these different photos of the same tree house? The last 2 shots look like the one I'm talking about. Here's a shot I took later in the day on our visit in May, when it wasn't crawling with entranced and enthused people. Now I just have to find out where the others might be.

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Remember this, he was on the stairs going up to the tree house, and there might be a picture of Gita hugging him some where in the archives.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Yep, I have a profile shot of him too, so we're definitely talking about the same tree house in at least one case. That house was so impressive - I don't know who liked it more, the kids or the adults!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The 2nd one is of the the treehouse you have the pic of.

Here's the map of the gardens
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/docs/MapOutdoor2009.pdf

Thanks, flowerjen, I thought we walked along all the paths, but we must have missed the one where the other two treehouses were located. Hope they are still there - we'll make it a point to check them out on our next visit - in milder weather!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.