Anyone for Longwood Gardens?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Holly!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes Catbird--I'd love to ride together. I can drive or ride, either is perfectly fine. I'll dmail you

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just wanted to bump up the thread. Check the first posting to see if your name is on the list. Don't want to miss anyone. I'll send a D-mail later in the week to everyone on the list with my Cell phone#. You are all welcome to bring friends.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

So are we meeting at the Visitor's Center/Garden Shop? Around 11:20-25?

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Holly,

My daughter, son in law and grandson want to join us also. I am reluctant to tell them that we cannot wait for them and drive in the same car. We would need to wait for them until early afternoon. If there is a way to get the tickets waiting for us when we come, we could help get the number we need for the discount. If not, we might not be part of the group as we had intended, and that is a little disappointing.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

R_R_R, I am not sure about the group buy tickets. But I will send you my Cel phone# and you can call me when you get there. That way there will be a good chance we can meet up somewhere inside.
Stormy, I would think about 11:15 to get the 11:30 tickets.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

*bumping up* just because I'm excited and happy to see a clear day forecast for Sunday! (windy & cold, but no big storms on the horizon)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Everyone ready for a day at LongWood? I saw an advertisement the other day, boy did it look wonderful. Can't wait to go! I sent a D-mail to everyone on the list, let me know if I missed you or you didn't receive it for some reason. It's not too late for anyone else that would like to join the group.

somewhere, PA

Have a great time you guys! I've decided I need to spend the weekend
cleaning my greenhouse. I'm sure you'll have a lot more fun than me.

Tam

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Critter, I'm getting all excited, That commercial I saw the other day made me want to jump up and get in the car. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I understand Tam can't wait till I have a GH. Just think of the great ideas you could pick up at LW and take home.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

please take lots of photos!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Guys, sorry that I had to cancel on you. I'm still nursing this migraine that I woke up with. Hope you all had a wonderful time despite this ungodly wind chill. Can't wait to see your photos.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy you were really missed. Boy we did have fun and it was just beautiful. We ended up with a nice small group of 6. It wasn't crowed so we took our time. Ric and Critter took a ton of pictures so everyone will get to see the beautiful display.
Stormy you have D-mail.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

can't wait to see the pictures!!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I really enjoyed the day, it was wonderful to spend the day with friends who share your interests. I can't decide what was my favorite part (other than getting out of the wind).
Thank you Sally for driving, Holly & Ric for getting it together, Jill- that was a good chocolate croissant, thanks for sharing, was great to meet you Terry.
Here's to the next trip.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you poor babies must have been beaten up by the wind walking around there

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

This trip just wasn't meant to be for us. We were supposed to be a party of five. My DH wasn't feeling well so we knew that he wasn't coming. My son in law was called to work, so he dropped out. My daughter, grandson and I were on our way when little James upchucked in the car. We turned around and came home to play some new computer learning games and put some puzzles together.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Teri

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh R_R_R, We were wondering about you. Thinking you were enjoying a nice family outing. We have had a lot of canceled functions due to health this holiday season. Well turns out that Critter has never been to Longwood before and I have never been there in the Spring for the bulb or azalea show. So I think there may be another get together in a few months.
It was bitter cold with a snatch your breath away wind. We didn't see much outside but the Conservatories where just beautiful. We did spend a good bit of time outside after dark as the light display was just so beautiful. Ended up back inside the Conservatory to see the lights inside what a big difference between day and night in the conservatory. Ric and Critter have a ton of pics. We will start a new thread with all the pictures and post a link here when we get it started.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Holly, what a tease you are.LOL
Beautiful picture, Amaryllis and poinsettia standards, and it looks like it is raining in the next room.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I have seen the Christmas display at Longwood before. Mainly I wanted to go to see all of you. With the bulb displays, there are several, as different bulbs are in bloom at different times. Depending on everyone's interest, it might be best to call them to see which weeks would be best to see daffs versus tulips, etc.

I've never seen Longwood in June or July, mostly because by then it's starting to get really hot to be hiking all around those large grounds. Maybe this year, I'll go, or perhaps call them and see if they have a big lily display in July.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They are running the Christmas lights/display thru the 10th so I may get to go yet.

Would love a chance to see it every season.

somewhere, PA

There's never a bad time to visit Longwood! I went in late April
last year and the bulb displays were magnificent. I really want to
see the waterlily display. They've had it out of commission last
few times I visited.

Tam

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Tammy, it's been out of order for almost 4 or 5 years now. The last I heard, about 18 months ago was there was some squabble going on about who to use and what to do about overhauling the aged system.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We missed you Jen, If you don't get there we can do it again next year.
Tam did you get your greenhouse ready?
Lady G those are icicle lights in the next room and we have apic of them all lit up.
Ric is out running errands not sure if I will start posting before he gets back. Critter if you are ready you can start a thread with Pics.
Stormy, We took Jamie several times when he was young and to the Phila Flower Show, too. One of my favorite memories was talking him and a friend and watching them run wild by the fountains. Neither of them had seen fountains like that before. We took him to the fall Mum show and they had a whole program on Native Americans that lived in the area. Costume dancers and storytellers. Boy did he love that.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, Yes, I've seen the mum show and it was wonderful. I've just never gone to Longwood in the heat of summer. The outside fountains must seem like a magic fairy land to children. I know they do to me, if I don't focus on the mechanics of it all.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I had such a wonderful day! Enjoyed riding up with Terri, too -- thank you! -- gave us a chance to catch up with stuff. I think we talked the whole way up & back, pretty much nonstop. Do you know, she considers herself an introvert? LOL

OK, I know somebody -- maybe Catbird? -- commented about wanting to find unusual colors of Christmas Cactus. Doc just posted an offer on this forum. :-)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Wow! Holly nice picture. They really know how to roll out the Christmas Carpet, Love it!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Did they have all of the different Christmas trees decorated by children from local schools?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes stormyla- in one of the small greenhouses was trees done by local schools. we were chuckling over one with musical notes and instruments the kids modeled out of lightweight clay--some of them were pretty skillful and some were, well, only a mother could love- ugly LOL, they were cute in their pitiful way!

But boy oh boy--when we first exited the entry building, we all admired a magnificent weeping beech==for about two seconds!== then BRRRRRRRRRRR. No way we could have lingered outside for any length of time, or stood to wait going inside. As somebody said, we almost had the place to ourselves compared to the crowds they must have had earlier, and everything looked just as fresh as ever.

Sorry we missed those who couldn't make it after all!!!

somewhere, PA

Holly - YES! I got my greenhouse all scrubbed and organized. Its just
so much nicer to go in there now. I even made room for seed starting.

Stormyla - I thought it was a long time but didn't realize it'd been that long.
I saw it years ago. I sure hope they get it together and running again. That
lilypond display was one of my favorites. (I love the treehouses now).

I'm going to be working at the Phila Flower Show (as a greeter or baby
sitter for the Rock Garden Society display). If any of you guys are going to
that, I'll be there Fri 10am to 2pm.

Tam

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy, I'll post a few of those here. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

2 of 3! Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ya'll can figure out which is supposed to be jellyfish.LOL
Tammy we may see you there, we often go on Wednesdays. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I always thought they were so cute and how thrilling for the children who made them. It is also a nice part of the exhibit if you bring kids along. Wow, they really look nice above those cyclamen. What's that white or silver plant further back?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I believe that was dusty miller or something like it. Ric

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I get the Jellyfish!! One year they had one of the trees all decorated with sailboats. I figured their teacher must have been a fan of sailing. Maybe we'll see you at the flower show, Tammy.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Ric, I can see it better in the later photo. I'd love to be there when they break down and get rid of it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I see an ID tag in the corner of the one bed. I'll see if I can blow it up and read it. Ric

Sorry, becomes too blurred to read. Ric

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 8:08 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Trying a link to a Kodak Gallery, if this works I'll start a new thread. Ric
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=869389897211%3A157013260&cm_mmc=site_email-_-new_site_share-_-core-_-View_photos_button

This moves to a new thread with a photo link:http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1066947/

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 10:27 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.