Anyone for Longwood Gardens?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

If we don't overly dawdle, we might be able to do the conservatory in 3 hours. We'd have to find out how late they keep the house open to see if we could do a late lunch plus still tour the house. In any event, I don't think we should buy tickets for much later than Noon. I think that to try to have lunch anywhere near the lunch hour might be too crowded and take longer than normal. Eating dinner might be more workable, but we'd have to do it outside of Longwood.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Do you think the cafe will be too crowded in any case? I was thinking we could start at 11:30 or noon, then take a lunch break at 3 or 4 (3, since the cafe closes at 4).

I don't have a burning desire to see the ice skating show.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, I could pass on the ice skating too. I'm not sure how busy the cafe will be. They have several different rooms to it. There is also a choice of serve yourself, or be seated and waited upon.

There is also a performance on their 1929 organ in the ballroom at 6. It appears to be free of charge and is an hour long.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

11:30 or 12:00 sounds good to me. I don't have a burning desire to see the ice skating show either. I could go either way with the house as I've seen it before. But I think the best time to see the house is at Christmas as they decorate it beautifully. The cafe will be crowded and busy but I was thinking the same thing eat there around 3 - 4. Dinner after sounds nice we could see how tired everyone is and how late we are running. Make sure you wear layers you can get pretty warm walking around those conservatories.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, and bring water bottles. It gets very warm and the traffic all goes in one direction, with few places to stop outside for air. You need to bring a coat because it can be quite cold in the evening watching the light and water shows. 11:30 or 12:00 is fine with me. Let the VA/MD folks pick the time as they have the farthest to travel.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

11:30 means leaving Frederick by about 9 (I think we can go via Baltimore & Wilmington without any trouble on a Sunday morning)... that's quite do-able for me, so if it works for Terri & anybody else, that sounds good. We'll all have cell phones, I'm sure, so we can let you know if we're running late.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, Maybe you can edit your first post to show a list of people who are definitely going, so we know who all to look for when we get there.

Maybe we should set a ticket purchase timeframe, so that we are assured of all getting the same admission time.

We'll need a rondevous spot.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Critter, I can be up to Frederick by 9. I'm looking forward to this! Terri

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Forgot to mention the kiddies would be coming with us as well.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I put up the list not sure about R_R_R
Critter are you bringing Hubby and Little Bit?
When we get a full list I will send D-mails with cell phone numbers for those that have them. That will help us keep in touch.
Critter, What do you think about the time. I was thinking we would all buy the tickets at the same time. We can wait by the entrance and there is (or was) a gift shop right there to poke around in while we are waiting.
Stormy you have been there since I have (I think) where would you suggest we meet?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Jen they will love it. How old are your children, I can't remember? I was thinking about bringing JR if my parents don't come.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My son 7 and daughter is 3

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

The Gift shop is really nice, and the lobby area there is pretty good sized too.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Googlemaps says it's 2 hrs 15 min to 2 hrs. 25 min depending on which route we take. So if we're pulling out of here by/before 9 (and don't worry about Terri, she's always prompt!), 11:30 should be no problem. Do we need to worry that if we hit some sort of delay they wouldn't let us in at noon with an 11:30 ticket? I wouldn't think so.

Jim & Joyanna will most likely stay home (this year).

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Since I am thinking about having the seed swap the second, third or last weekend of January, I was wondering if the January 3rd date which was mentioned by a few people, would be the preferred date. I see the date in the first post to be January 23rd. Please clear this up for me.

Thanks

Teri

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

There's another DG event happening Sunday Jan 3... we're getting a trip together to go to Longwood Gardens.

somewhere, PA

I'm tentatively in! I didn't read the whole way thru the thread.
Does everyone know you need to buy a pass for a particular
time?

Tam

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Ya all have a nice trip. Sorry but I just could not see myself able to easily handle the masses of people and a bunch of unknowns. I will put a solo trip on Hershey Gardens next spring where there are seldom to many people smelling the roses or tip toeing through the tulips. LOL

somewhere, PA

Hershey Gardens really are lovely. Enjoy!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Over the years I have likely done Hershey Gardens a dozen times or more. They accomodate electric scooters with few restrictions.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Tammy, we have to buy tickets for a particular time slot. We're leaning towards 11:30 and trying to catch a late lunch in the cafe at 3. We plan to tour the atriums and house and then see the light & water shows after dark.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2009 9:51 PM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, the gift shop would be OK to meet, but I don't think anyone should buy things then as they'd have to be carried around all day. It's also pretty far from the conservatory, it's actually down by the parking lot. Over by the cafe might be better. Here's the map.

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/docs/MapOutdoor2009.pdf

We go to Longwood on New Years Eve - it's a family tradition. Have fun on the third!

Joseph

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Bob and I will make it. I will ask my daughter and her husband who live in Audubon, NJ if they would like to join us.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think we should meet near the entrance we are getting close to having the 15 we need for a group purchase. Roses sorry for the confusion glad you will be able to join us.
Tammy welcome to the group.
Gerris that is a great tradition.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I'm going to have to bow out. You all have a great time! It really is a wonderful place.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear that Jan, Maybe another trip in the spring or summer.
Have you looked that the dates for the tentative seed swaps in Feb?

Thanks, Holly. It would be great to meet you all in person someday. Do you get together at Longwood Gardens at other times of the year, too?

Joseph

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd love to go there again during an outdoor blooming season! There was a DG trip there last spring. Read Sally's article about it, and you'll want to go there asap! http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1255/

According to their site, Longwood accommodates (and rents) electric scooters the rest of the year, maybe the scooters are just restricted during the busy holiday display season. I'd be happy to provide "power" for nonelectric transportation (eg, push a regular chair) for anybody who might need it, since I won't have Little Bit in a stroller. I've been there done that, so I know it's a bit awkward, but I just hate to see anybody miss out if there might be a way.

I haven't been to Hershey park since I was a Girl Scout Cadette. I'll bet those gardens are lovely... maybe that's another future DG expedition!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Joseph, I saw that Longwood has a New Year's celebration, I've heard that some of their evening events are quite lovely, but have never attended any.

We have get togethers where we meet and would love to have you join the fun. Right now we are planning seeds swaps in January & February. Some people don't have any seeds to swap and are planning to attend just for the fun. Here's the thread on those.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061784/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, If you come down to Hershey Gardens this spring give us a shout, maybe we can meet up. If you get down to Baltimore check on Rawlings Conservatory. It's just off i83 and I believe even the restrooms can accommodate a scooter. That may be a long trip on it's own but if you are near it is definitely worth the time. I posted a thread for their Christmas show in the Mid-Atlantic, you can check it out. Ric
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1063223/

This message was edited Dec 17, 2009 11:36 AM

somewhere, PA

I bought a season pass to Longwood last summer so I don't think I count
for the group discount.

Tam

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You also don't have to have a timed entry ticket...

Oh! I think I remember reading on their pass information that you can get some discounted tickets (max. of 6 maybe?), so that may be a help (if you're willing) if we don't get 15 people.

Is anybody else holding a season pass? I thought about it, but doubt we'd get back up there enough to make it worthwhile. Hmm, I wonder if there's a PHS discount (I joined for last year's Philly flower show).

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Does anybody think we should buy these tickets soon?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking about that Stormy, We usually just get tickets when we get there. I wonder if that would be a problem or if we should get them ahead. But then if the weather isn't good enough to travel??? If I get a chance I'll call tomorrow and ask if they think we would need to purchase tickets ahead of time.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Holly.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I am coming! I need a day away and can't think of a better one!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yay!!! WE need your humor for this trip!!!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I want to come too. Sally would you like to carpool?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally Great!!!!
You too Cat we will be very glad to have you.
I called Longwood today and they said wait to get the tickets until we get there. That way we won't have to worry about the weather and if we get enough for the group buy we can take advantage of that. We won't have any trouble getting in. I'll send out a D-mail next week to everyone with my cell phone # so you can contact me if you need. Have a great Christmas. Holly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.