Compassion for handicapped gardeners #9

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm here - I'm not totally frozen! It's a combination of the tendinitis and PCA trouble (you would not believe - I'll tell you some day) and WE ARE DOING MY PIECE IN CHURCH TOMORROW!! Needed lots of political maneuvering and copying and calling in favors etc. and I don't know how good of a job we'll do, but it is on the schedule for tomorrow!!!

Midland City, AL

Okay, Vickie. I wom't put myself down. I think I would make EXCELLENT compost. I'm beginning to realize how lucky I was that both the MILs I had liked me.
Leaf, I will make sure to look for seeds this summer.
Carrie, I hope all goes well tomorrow!
Katie, you will have to tell me how you did it, if you succeed with Jenny. I let Fenny-dog sleep on the couch when the weather was so cold. Now, she seems to believe the couch belongs to her and doesn't want anyone sitting on her bed.
Scraps, I probably have more sympathy for SILs because I was a SIL. But, I find being a FIL gives me a different prespective. I gave thought to making a former SIL worthy of his name. (Kay calls them ALL "sharkbait.") That SILs replacement has an interesting relationship with Kay. She calls him sharkbait from time to time and he always brings her a mother-in-laws tongue when he visits. And, smiles sweetly when he gives the plant to her. LOL. It is hard to tell, but I think they like (or, at least, understand) each other.
BTW--We have LOTS of mother-in-laws tongues. Does anyone know if the can tolerate outdoor temps? (Jim)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

MIL Tongues are indoor plants, Jim. Temps below 50 usually spell death to a plant. If the strap leaves get mushy and limp the tuber will nearly always rot.

Carrie, I do hope your piece was done well. To GOD be the glory.

Jim, we have had dogs like that. Right now it is Darcy Beagle who has taken over Jack's recliner. It has a nice thick foam pad in the seat because of a broken spring in the seat. If I sit in the chair she starts whining and bouncing on her feet. I have to get pretty nasty with her to make her leave me alone. She started jumping up there because it was farther off the cold floor, then just decided it is HER chair now. Our MinPin/Peke Nita likes the laundry basket in the bathroom because it usually has lots of laundry in it.

I need to get to bed. I have a day of work tomorrow plus some shopping to do.

I will be so glad when the warmer temps get here to stay. I hear that Feb. is going to be much like the end of Dec. & first of Jan. I wish I could believe it would affect the bad insect problem.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hey Ya'll, This is your very lazy buddy who sat in a recliner all day watching several "Sarah Plain and Tall" movies in a row, then watched " Space Cowboys with the hubs. I still have no energy. I did eat a little roast that the hubs cut up like steak and cooked, he was hungry and saw he was going to starve waiting on me to cook so he manned up and cooked us some good grub. A bake potato and some meat and he thinks he deserves some praise. So I bragged big time like a good wife. My composte pile is still free of the little maggot in question but he is asking for it. I think he is a good person most of the time but he is being such a jerk about this diet. It is bad enough when you are overweight but when you are pregnant with his child and a diabetic having to take shots(and you hate needles) it just is not funny. I hope Katy is right and warm weather is on the way maybe that will get me up and outside. Playing in the dirt usually cheers me right up. I need some seeds that are easy to grow in shade and drought tolerant for I have no waterhose near certain area, if anyone has something like that.

Carrie, I am glad to hear from you. I hope things went well for you. Have a good week.

Kay and Jim, You two are so much fun. I love the gatorbait idea very much because I live very close to the Pearl River and we do have gators. Do you think they like bitter things like SILs? hehehe I love it. I told him very early in the marriage that I would take him out to the woodshed and spank his behind if he hit her and he is not big as my fist so he has not made that mistake. Not to mention my big ole' spouse. You know The word spouse looks like it is mispelled but have you ever noticed that it is similar to louse. Hmmmm! Goodnight all!Love and Prayers, scraps

mulege, Mexico

It is late winter/ spring here. I've got my propane heater on and am glad I was able to buy several small tanks of propane from the man I got my new refrigerator from. The old frig is empty and waiting for Tony to get a friend with a truck to come and get it.

I am still dragging. My ankle is still stiff and slightly painful as well as swollen. I feel guity about complaining as it isn't horrible, more like chronically annoying. Makes for bad dreams and disrupted sleep and low energy days. Hard to focus or get much done. I am often back in bed by early afternoon.

In spite of feeling useless and pathetic, we are making progress. As always, Tony is a huge help both for the work he does and for arriving here six mornings a week in a good mood, happy to be here. He apprecdiates me as a boss and that does make me feel good. The east wall of the kitchen is almost all painted - a french blue - a great improvement over the dirty white it was. I have lots of cobalt blue glass accents. The south wall is plywood which I will brown bag some day. The north wall is one wide indow on top and shelves underneath. It has a great view of the arroyo behind my house. I love that my nearest eeighbor is Dana, whom I like a lot and whose house, though close, is not visible from mine.

As I look around I do see that I'm making progress. The work on the kitchen has involved washing almost all the dishes and pots and pans, a task which seems endless.

Yesterday I fixed a sewing machine and I can now do some sewing while seated by my computer. With my legs so sore my ability to work standing or walking around is limited. Seems that just when I have adapted to my limitations, more develop.

Sorry to be so grumpy. I really hate feeling like this. There is so much work to be done, a lot of it things I enjoy. I need to take a lesson from the dogs who have no problem loafing around all day.

Noticed yesterday that one of my orange trees is starting its spring growth. Trees are funny here in the subtropics. The new leaves push the old ones off so we have a kind of combined fall and spring.

Sending thoughts of warm weather and clear blue skies to all my friends farther north.

hugs, katie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Katie, I'm so sorry to hear that your legs aren't doing well. Have the bites acutally healed yet? I'm sure you have tried warm moist packs. And topical rubs.

I'm thrilled to hear the kitchen project is coming along well. There is a lot of work ahead but much has been done already.

Every time I sit down at the computer I start getting sleepy so I only do a little bit at a time.

Everyone be sure to go to the Dave's Garden forum and read up on the latest news about the sale to InternetBrands(?). This is really improtant for everyone to learn about.

EvaMae

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I truly understand what you are feeling Katie. You need not apoligize for feeling grumpy because we all have days like that. When we feel yuck it makes us feel better to share it with someone who understands and will not see it as just complaining but will understand. I think we need our moms to hug and comfort us like when we were kids and say it is going to be ok. However, when mom is not available a friend can fill the void. I always feel better when I vent my frustrations on here and you guys comfort me. However, I must admit online hugs just are not enough sometimes but it is better than no hugs.LOL. So I am sending you hugs(((())) and kissesXXXXXXX in hopes you feel better soon. I also have alot of things that still need to be done here at the new house such as we still lack door knobs on interior doors, cabinets etc. I still have a guest room full of storage tubs because we have not been able to move our storage shed because the ground is too wet. Our driveway is too muddy now in one place to drive our cars all the way to the house. I think we are just so happy to be finished with building the house that we have taken an unspoken leave of absence of sorts and we just avoid the subject of chores. We had a couple of spring like days and I worked out in the yard and loved being out in the sunshine so much. I raked some leaves and cleaned out a flower bed and filled it with fresh pine straw. I found some green things emerging from the ground too. A daylilly or two and some buttercups. Then I woke up to some snow flurries this morning. Crazy weather, I always say only in Mississippi, but I know it is happening in other places too. I saw on the news where it is bad in alot of places. We did not get any ice but I saw where others did. So I hope you are all safe and warm. The hubs has kept the fire in the wood heater hopping all day. I think he is getting colder natured than he was when we married. I will not say old age because I am a few months older.LOL. Goodnight and stay warm. Love and Prayers, Scraps

mulege, Mexico

Thanks, Scraps. I felt better today and it's been a georgeous spring day here. I made it outside to work for several hours. Transplanted a lot of seedling adeniums into little pots. Played with the compost and worked on the western yard - I'm building up part of the arroyo amending the soil, building rock paths and engineering it so when we get our occasional torrential rains they will soak in instead of running off taking any top soil they can. Neighbor Dana teases me but she has to admit how well the system is working so I don't mind.

I'm also working on the stairs which are tire-filled rocks. I did a lot of work on them last year.but they refused to come out the way I wanted. Now that they've had time to settle and I've had time to rethink what I'm doing they seem to be going OK.

This is the time of year to get outside work done here. In a couple of months it will be too hot to do much outside. I am very ahppy that my ankle is finally healed enough for me to be able to be on my feet for awhile. My left knee is what usually limits my time on my feet and that was true today. I'm also being careful because I don't want to tire out and fall down my rock stairs.

I have a freshly charged battery in the drill and my other tools all organized so if I'm feelng OK tomorrow I can get more done.

Dinner for the dogs is almost ready. We are a happy group today.

katie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

BirdieBlue(Sheri) was in a bad accident a couple or so weeks ago and isn't in good condition for being on the computer at this time. I got an dmail from her and then permission to report this. I know she would love dmails and well wishes and covets the prayers of all of us.

This thread is getting long so I'm going to start a new one. See everyone there.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073246/

go there!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.