Compassion for handicapped gardeners #9

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OUCH! My kids have been bitten badly.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katie, I'm a bossy ole lady. Keep that wound cleaned out and disinfected.Dogs mouths are as dirty as human mouths.Keep those antibiotics coming for at least 10 days.
Hope you get to feeling better and take care of yourself.
Vickie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I realize you live in another country and their laws are probably different from U.S. ones, but can you make sure that dog has current rabies shots? I didn't think of that until just now. Can you make them put the dog down as being dangerous or are they doing that voluntarily? May the healing hand of JESUS continue to be upon you.

mulege, Mexico

Thank you both. I don't know about rabies; I doubt it but maybe Dana will ask them for me. I haven't seen the dog since the bite but I think they are keeping it tied up. I'd forgotten that my newest dog hadn't bee spayed and tht's what brought the other dog around. Dana told me of a local vet that will do the spaying since Lorraine, our American vet, lost her house in the hurricane and won't be back.

I am feeling better today, though not all recovered. The worst puncture is still festering but it's not all bright red or swollen. I'm keeping it clean with antibiotic cream and taking antibiotics.

Tony is here. He has a cold/flu. Insists he's OK to work. He'll go home soon!!!

kb

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The last thing you need right now is exposure to a viral infection!! Please send him home quickly. Maybe he feels up to helping you, but you do not need his help that badly(I hope).

A female dog in heat or even coming into heat will certainly attract male dogs who will get quite agressive if they think someone is trying to get in between them. Like many men, they don't take "NO" for an answer very well.

GOD bless and keep you , Katie.

mulege, Mexico

Tony would have worked outside but I sent him hoome. Told him if his wife wouldn't let him go to bed to come back and sleep in my spare room!!

Dana is planning to take my dog to an out-of-town clinic in a couple of weeks.

I'm feeling much better today and gt some of my kitchen cleaned up.

Now I'm taking it easy. The rest of the housework can wait.

kb

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thats the best or worst of living alone. That ole housework will still be there tomorrow, next week or next month. LOL
I've got some waiting for me too. inside and out.
Thats sweet of you to look out for Tony.
I'm ready to look thru catalogs for summer flowers esp since we may get more snow tomorrow nite.

mulege, Mexico

My recovery continues. My leg is still sore - I think the bone is bruised. It's sometimes hard to remember that recovery has its own pace and I'm just along for the ride.

My kitchen looks significantly better today. A pleasant surprise as I was feeling that "one step forward, two back" thing about getting anywhere on it.

It's quite chily this morning and I'm out of propane and my electric heater seems to have disappeared. It is nice to be in a climate where this is slightly annoying, not life-threatening.

Tony isn't here; I told him to stay home until he's better. We take care of each other. He's probably been working long hours six days a week since he was a teen-ager (he's probably in his early forties now) and I think I'm the first boss who has given him time off when he's sick or had a family crisis. He returns the consideration - during the last hurricane he knew his family was as safe as possible, he stayed overnight at my house with my dogs to take care of things here as I was in Ca.

Thank you all for being here. Knowing I have your company and your prayers has really helped me to stay sane and feeling OK while my ankle heals.

hugs, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katie, Glad your leg is better. Also glad you and Tony can look after each other some.
My craft room is still screaming at me to come clean it up. Maybe a path thru the center would get me started.
There is a light snow falling right now but no accumalation is expected.
Good, Think i may go to town tomorrow. I'm out of dry catfood.
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Doing better again todqay. Had a dream that I gave a dinner prty at Marlon Brando's home (he was still alive). Very long and strange but not a nightmare. Dom DeLuise was there, too. I actually did meet him many years ago and we he was very nice. We traded massages (but nothing else). A nice memory to ponder while my foot still throbs a bit.

My foot is now seriously bruised looking - deep purple splotches and some swelling. However, the biggest wound is almost all scabbed over and ther's no more oozing.

On the home front the housework continues a chunk at a time. Like Vickie with her path through the craft room, I pick a piece of work as my day's goal. Then I can praise myself for what I got done and hush the voice that would criticize all that is undone and etc and etc and etc.

Still catching up on washing dishes. I could swear the dogs open the cupboards and take them out and get them dirty; the cats probably help with the upper shelves.

Also got a lot of wash done in my wringer washer. It need to be hung up on my solar dryer but it's cold enough that I can do it at my own pace.

Tony is not here today. He must be really sick.

Yesterday I made lemon sherbet with my own organic lemons and agave nectar. It's pretty good. Not too sweet, it has a real bite to it.

Dana talked to someone who knows about such things and he said that if an animal has rabies it will die within a week of biting someone. The dog that bit me is still alive. We were afraid the owner might have killed it to avoid a problem with me but he's keeping it tied up at his home and it still looks healthy.

I also got out and watered my baby adeniums and othe plants yesterday so everything is good here.

Hope all is going well with all of you. I'm thinking good thought for everyone.

hugs to all, katie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hmmmm, I don't know if that's true about rabies, I just hope you're OK!!! Rabies is 100% fatal and 100% avoidable with painful shots - if you were in the US it would be very different.

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi all of you and Katiebear,
You remind me of why I don't live out of country at my age. I don't know how long
it takes for a bite wound to scab over but I would think that this is plenty of time.
I would get to a doctor and get it looked at, especially if you are feeling dizzy and
disoriented.
I wouldn't shed too many tears if the dog was put down. If it bites you it might
kill someone else. A dog that bites is worthless. Sooner or later he will strike
again. There seems to be a macho thing about owning dogs that can attack
with such strength. I guess it gives the owner the power he thinks he lacks.
I once met a couple going in to Haiti who were on their way to sell their house
in Port-O-Prince and move back to the States. He was having too many
health problems to live comfortably in Haiti.
Paul.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Paul, Katie saw a doctor and was put on antibiotics immediately. I think rabies would have showed up by now if she has it. I agree the dog may bite again, especially when he thinks someone is coming between him and a female in heat. I think that was the case here.

Do any of you fibro sufferers use Ribose? Or know anyone who does? The local health food store says that is what I need. I did some online research and it appears the store owner is correct. It seems fibro sufferers can't make enough ATP(I can begin to pronounce what that stands for)& this Ribose helps our bodies make more of it and in a better form. It is a simple sugar so a warning was given on one site to diabetics and hypoglycemics. I suppose that is why so many of us are also carb addicts? We need the sugar which our cells aren't getting enough of for energy. I also read that we need magnesium supplement. I've tried those. I already have chronic diarrhea from IBS so I don't need anymore laxative affects. Think- Milk of Mag. I took just a mag. supplement for a while and decided that was not for me. Just asking.

GOD bless and keep each and all of you.
EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

When my DD was a child she was bitten by a dog. The dog was watched for 10 days before he was declared rabies free.Must be the time limit.
Paul, You did know that the US healthcare system is ranked #37th by the World Health Organization. Because health care is not available to everyone,preventable mistakes are the norm.we die at a younger age,birth deaths are high, and we pay more than any other country in the world. Mexico is on a level with the US,and Haiti is even below the US ranking. France has the #1 ranking with the rest of europe close behind. Cuba is ranked#38.
There are good things about our health care system especially if you have the money to pay for it.
I'll get off my bandstand now.LOL Just had to rant a little. Nothing personal.
Eva is'nt Ribose a sugar? The name rings a bell but i can't place it.
Katie, i beleive the purple bruising is normal. It'll turn yellow next.I don't know why but animal bites seem to bruise the heck out of a body.
Tomorrow, my goal is to work in the kitchen for 2 hours. and be proud of any thing i get done.
Have a great day everyone.
Vickie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yes, it is a simple sugar but the body seems to be able to convert it into this ATP which the cells can use. I stated that there is a warning on one site for diabetics and hypoglycemics. I do plan to try it even tho I do have some hypoglycemic problems. It seems that the body cannot use the foods we eat properly to give cellular and muscle energy.

mulege, Mexico

Hi - Thanks for all your concern. Vickie, thanks for the time information; it's reassuriong.

I accidently kicked the sore spot as I was getting out of bed this morning. Ouch. I changed the bandage and It's still not scarred over but it's only a little red around the edges - no werious corors or streaks or oozing. It's a punture where the dog's canine toooth went deepest and I'd rather have a puncture wound take time and heal properly than seal up and then have to be opened surgrically to drain it.

All in all, I thiink I'm on the mend. The probalby is more recovering sfrom shock; I just feel withdrawn, la-energy and detached. About ten years ago I had to have six surgeries in the space of about two years. They were all minor but the cumulative effect was very similar to what I'm feeling now so I'm not wrroied, more annoyed. It's me taking care of myself and I have to be patient with myself. I am better each day and I'm not too worried about long-term problems or rabies. I will be happy when I'm all better.

I called Tony's house yesterday and told his son who wnswered to tell Tony not to try to come to work today or Saturday. To come back Monday. That will give him a god rest and recuperation period and time with his oldest son who is home from the university in La Paz. I am so proud of Tony for having his first child in college and plans for the others to go. I'm really happy to be a part of this.

Dana is making an appointment to have my dog spayed on Ja 9 when she is going to Loretto. That will be a big help as her being in heat for the first time was what brought the male dog around.

It's another beautiful day here and I'm doing my best to enjoy it and not berate myself about anything.

hugs to all, katie

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Glad you're on the mend.
Ya know....I'm proud of Tony too. Giving your kids a boost up when they want to do good is so-o-o-o important.
Wish it was a beautiful day here. It's C-O-L-D.
DD and i went grocery shopping at a different store in a nearby town today. Had a lot of fun. My knees and wrist are hurting pretty bad now. Took some pain meds. Will probably get pretty loopy anytime now.LOL
I did'nt get my kitchen work done but i got my bills made out and sent off and my craft room worked on.
Yeah! progress is happening.
Happy New Year!
Vickie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Vickie, I'm glad to hear you had a good day.

I have serious vehicle problems. Rear brakes froze from moisture in them, I had a tow truck come get me & it, the garage tried to take one break apart and it fell into pieces. I had no money but they know me and put it together enough to be safe to drive for a while So Mon. morning I need to get to the bank, extend the existing loan for enough to finish the fix, take the van back to the garage. My foster dd will pick me up and take me back to work and pick me up in the afternoon to go get the van. It's a 2000 with 119,000 miles on it so I'm not too surprised. I missed a day of work but I can make it up during the next work period. I thought about maybe working tomorrow but don't feel safe driving on this ice with one brake that may not be good.

GOD bless and keep each of you.
EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Eva Mae, So sorry about your brakes.This cold weather is hurting all of us thats not used to this much, and it's supposed to be worse next week.
Please stay off the roads till the brakes are fixed.Nothing is worth risking life and limb for. I know you have plenty to eat and know how to keep warm. None of us need anything more on a tempory basis. Anyway i don't want to lose you and neither does your famly, so please stay put.
HUGS AND PRAYERS for Eva Mae
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Car trouble and money trouble seem to go together often, So sorry to hear about yours, Eva Marie.

I echo what Vickie said - take care of yourself first. Don't risk your saffly (and life) with bad brakes. Nothing is worth what could happen to you.

My ankle continues to heal. And My mind is, too, I think.

I did manage to drive to Tony's home on New Year's Eve with some of the Christmas presents I had for them. A tribe of children and relatives came over when they saw my van. Everyone was very nice aout "oohing" over my bruised ankle and not minding that there weren't as many presents as other years and those I had weren't wrapped. They are all very nice and accepting. Two very good things happened. First, Tony's wife and I reconnected as friends. Her working for me had ended badly about two years ago. It was clear we really care for each other and are willing to let byegones be byegones. Tony is so important to me that being somewhat on the out's with his wife has been difficult.

The second good things was that I had a special present for Barbara, Tony's daughter. Several years ago I'd gotten her a bright pink cowboy hat. She left it at my house one day and my dogs destroyed it. I knew she had really liked it and on my last trip to Ca. I went to Gooddwill and spotted a pink cowboy hat. I snatched it up, not sure if, at nine, she was still interested in such things. I fashioned a band for it and took it over with me. Her expression when she saw it was priceless. She immediately put it one, looking like she'd been reunited with an old friend.

No one minded that I wasn't in my Santa Clause costume. Tony had told them I wouldn't be coming over at all because of the dog bite so it was all good.

I'm still plodding away on the kitchen, making gradual progress. I also did a little work outside yesterday. Again, making some progress on a path which I haven't worked on in months. I know I'll get more done if I wait for my energy to return than if I push myself.

My second reason for going over to Tony's was to leave his week's pay and tell him not to come back to work until Monday and not to come then if he's not feeling better. He was at the clinic getting a shot for his illness as he had been really sick.

It's cold here but clear and beautiful. I'm bundled up in a flannel nightgown and heavy sweatshirt.

Happy New Year to everyone and hugs all around,
katie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much, Vickie & Katie, for your concerns for me. Rest assured I am going nowhere until Monday when I will very carefully drive to the store where I work about 8 a.m., work until the bank opens at 9, call and see how quickly I can go extend the loan, do that then drive very carefully to the garage to have it fixed totally. I know they didn't send me out in a dangerous state but there are still things that need to be done. My foster DD will pick me up, take me back to the store to work, pick my up after work and take me back to the van. Hopefully it will be fixed by then. If not I'll go to her house and stay until it is fixed. That way I'll be in town when it is ready to be picked up. I'll take an overnight bag just in case I have to stay with her overnight. I think they can do everything in one day tho. I called my pastor & talked to his wife yesterday explaining the situation so they would know why I was missing church again. Last week my van was covered in a sheet of ice and no doors could be opened until late Sunday afternoon. Then Monday I discovered the windsheild wipers were in a 1" thick cake of ice and the driver door was still frozen shut. I used most of a pint of deicer + some rubbing alcohol to get that open and the windsheild wipers somewhat cleaned. The sun took care of the rest of the ice on the wipers so I was able to work Tues. and Wednesday. The brakes were frozen on Thur. so I missed work that day. I now have a day or more of work to make up during the next pay period.

Katie, I'm so glad you and Tony's wife made up. I can imagine how hard it was for both of you with his wife and you on the outs. I'm glad you found that hat for his DD. Somehow I find it hard to think of Mexico as being cold. I always think of it as being so hot and dry.

I retried an old old treatment for achy joints and it seems to be working immediately. Just rub some good oil into them. I use to hear of WD40 but thought, incorrectly that it was made from petroleum products. Now I know it is based on fish oil. Then I heard of Castor oil and used it for a long time. Don't know why I stopped. I just now used olive oil because that is what I have on hand. It has stopped the stiffness that lead to the pain already.

I have pretty well cleaned off one kitchen cabinet top, cooked 2 pumpkins that I had left in the garage too long so they started freezing. I lost one but saved these 2. I have another very large one to get worked up too. The poultry and wild birds will get what cannot be saved as well all but a couple dozen seeds. I do hope these little ones aren't hybrid pumpkins tho I know they probably are and what I grow from the seed may bear little resemblence to what I bought at the farmer's market. I still need to sterilize the jars and flats, puree the pumpkin, then pressure can it. I should have enough to last me for a year. I eat pumpkin as a main veggie. Sometimes I add sweetener and spices, sometimes just the Parkey butter spray.

Must get going. GOD bless and keep each of you.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Katiebear, it is good to hear you are recovering. Jim shakes his head over the fact that I will wade in and put a stop to conflicts between my rather large dogs. By contrast, I cringe when I hear a little dog close by. That may seem backwards to some, but it makes perfect sense in my experience. I’ve never been bitten by a large breed dog. I have been nipped a number of times by dogs from the aggressive small breeds. (Never as badly as you were bitten.) It seems sometimes the little ones can sense my fear of them and puff up into little Napoleons whenever I approach.

It is hard for me to imagine day-to-day life for those of you living in truly cold climates.. I've only visited points north and rarely in winter.. My home has always been somewhere along the gulf coast.

EvaMarie, I feel better knowing WD40 isn’t a petroleum product. I didn’t know that. Jim keeps a can in with the cleaning supplies, in addition to the one in his toolbox. He uses it to remove labels, decals and the like. I feel better about his using it inside the house, knowing that.
I pray this is a healthy, happy year for all of you. *Kay*

mulege, Mexico

The biggest puncture is still festering so I thinnk I'll go to our local doctor tomorrow. There's not much pain but it's still a little swollen.

I've been nipped before but never really bitten. This was a medium sized dog and I had my back to him because I was moving to break up a fight between two of my dogs. (I, too, will wade in with mine.) With me distracted and thinking the kid who owns the dog had hold of him, I was very vulnerable - and I paid the price.

I'm hoping Tony will be well enough to come to work tomorrow. Partly just for the company. I'm getting the isolation blues. Not really sick enough to be wiped out, but not well enough to get much done.

This, too, shall pass.

Happy New Year, all.

katie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Katie, I understand that wiped out felling. Not really sick, but not really well either.

It sounds as tho a visit to the local doctor is in order, Katie. I'm certain tho that the healing is progressing as usually.

I'v e had my sleeping pill and itsn't a pretty picture.Must go get into bed.

EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katie,glad the healing is coming along.Please don't get the lonely blues.You could get a sadistic pleasure from telling us in detail the beautiful weather down there while we suffer thru this very very cold spell for the next week.Looks like Kay is going to get some of this too.It's going to be warmer at Carries house.When i hear the temps are going to top out at 9 and bottom out at -3 i get serious.I have plenty of heat and food for a month.and in a medical emergency there is a helicopter available.but what do i do when i panic and go into a bluefunk depression.
I'll probably stay on line and post to every forum on DG.HMMMM Wonder if thats ever been done before. How many people will complain and ask for me to be deleted from DG? SEMI LOL! DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY FORUMS THERE ARE? Beforehand i plead insanity!
Lets all get some sleep i wont feel so threatened tomorrow.
Vickie

Midland City, AL

Katiebear, it sounds like some more antibiotics from the doctor might be a good idea. Getting puncture wounds to heal right can be a problem.
Post on EVERY forum. Vickie, I think that would make you a DG legend.
An hour ago, Kay learned a lesson the hard way about the day-to-day problems of very cold weather. She slipped on a patch of ice and fell. The left temple is very swollen and she has a few scrapes, but otherwise okay. Considering she fell against a concrete wall head first, her injuries are amazingly minor. Never thought I would be thanking God for giving me such a hard-headed wife.
Since it is so cold, she went ahead and gave me the electric blanket with dual controls that she was planning to give me on Russian Christmas. She is informing me in great detail what an ogre I am for not letting her crawl into bed and test out the controls on her side. But, I always heard you were supposed to keep someone with a head injury awake for two or three hours afterwards. So, this is Jim, the Ogre wishing you all a warm and SAFE night.

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi seacanepain,
I hope the Ogre didn't have to make an emergency run for medical help.
It is so scary the things that can happen. I know these forums are supposed to
be neutral and secular, but it is sure a comfort to know that We are protected
in these times.
25 August, 2008, I went into the hospital and spent the next 20 days fighting for my life
because of a rare strep infection, The Skin Eating Disease. I am still recovering,
but with Our Lords help I am here to tell my story.
All of us might not have such dramatic stories but we still can tell of the times where
He has stepped in and rescued us.
Paul.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'll keep Kay and you in my prayers. There are 2 patients here, you know. Her with the physical injuries and you with the emotional support issues. I'm thankful you are there to help her and take care of her. Not all of us have that.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Leaf is right. Not all of us have someone to care.I'm so glad you two do.
You may not beleive it but the swelling on the outside of the head was a good thing.
When the head gets banged there is always trauma and if the swelling is inside the head it means serious trouble.Jim is so right to keep Kay up and going.Glad you are ok. You all be careful during this next batch of nasty weather.My pets don't like this cold and stay right under my feet all the time.Kitty Kat is learning it's not a good place to be when i step on her tail.
I did start on other forums. Went on the appliance forum and the farm forum. Got some good people over there too.
Now thinking about googling any topics that comes to mind.
Kay you intrested in any Native American sites. Your puter does voice on any site does'nt it?
Paul that strep is nasty stuff to contend with. Did you get it thru medical sources? Dr.s office, hospital?
Have a good night all,
Vickie

mulege, Mexico

Today was a little warmer but yesterday it was so cold that Tony had ice on the winshield of his car!!! I didn't because I'm closer to the sea.

To add to that, I've just arranged to get an inflatable kayak when I go to San Diego in February. I need to spend more time on the water.

Now that you are all green with envy, I'll tell you that my worst puncture wound is still open and a little painful. I went back to the clinic today. They cleaned it up again, put antibiotic ointment on it and rebandaged it. They assurred me that it's healing well.0 I'm frustrated that it's not healing faster but it's my left ankle and my left knee is also not very good so I know this is not something that I should try to push.

Tony is back and we are both taking it fairly easy. There's lot of cleaning, sorting and organizing to do so we do a lot of that and a little heavy work if we feel up to it

Tony finished the compost bin the other day. It's wood, about four feet high and eight feet wide and deep. I can put my tire composters there - they work well but are not very pretty to look at.

Went to town this morning and paid bills, and did shopping as well as going to the clinic.

I'm quite worn out now and ready to lie down for awhile.

Having been raised in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, I am basking in the fact that I can lie around with the doors and windows open and enjoy the fresh air.

For those of you in the snowy north - anyone who's willing to rough it is welcome to come on down. I have lots of space and great weather but few amenities.

katie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

For any one who is watching the weather blanketing most of the U.S I have this question - where is the global warming we are suppose to be so terrified of now? I remember the Ice Age scare of the 70s or 80s, then it faded away and global warming took its place. I think the ice age is back in fashion again. lol

I just got water back!! Pipes in the well house frozen on Monday & it took until just a few minutes ago for Kyle to restore it. Drats, now I have no excuse for not washing the dirty dishes. I can get some laundry done tho. All I have to do for that is gather up the dirty clothes and put them in the washing machine. Later I take them out, put them into the dryer. After that I carry them to the bedroom and dump them on the unused bed. When I need something I know just where to find it.

It's too cold here for animals to be outside too. 3 of my dogs are pretty hardy souls and venture out for a bit a few times a day. Today has been the worst since Dec. 24th & 25th. Lots of high winds swirling the snow around. I pray it slows down by tomorrow because I am out of sunflower seeds and dog food. I also have many hours to make up at work. I thought about working the 3 hours I missed yesterday tomorrow and maybe a whole day on Sat. I need to have it all made up before next Friday. I'm not up to working every day of a week. Especially 7 hr. days. If I work the 3 hrs tomorrow and all day on Sat. I'll have nearly all of the hours made up.

I'm glad to hear you and Tony are on the mend, Katie.

I've had a few head blows( accidentally of course)and know the importance of staying awake if possible. One when I was a teenager left me with spells of fainting for a few weeks. Fortunately I nearly always felt a faint coming on so I could lie down or be taken to a safe place to rest.

Vickie, there are some wonderful people on the Farm Forum. I use to go there until Jack went to be with JESUS and I was no longer involved in the farm in any way. Then I just felt out of place. Try the Central Midwest Gardening forum. Some great people there too.

Must get busy. GOD bless and keep each and all of you.
EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Katie, i did'nt know that the cold had gone as far south as you are. Hope it's over for you. Glad you and Tony are better.
Do you injoy grocery shopping there.Guess you can get plenty of fresh veggies and fruits. The vanilla from Mexico is to die for.I buy the mango and other canned juices from Mexico.and the jars of chicken and beef and tomato buillion.I think all our jello is made in Mexico.
The lack of amenities sounds pretty good to me cause i love to camp out.But guess i'd better stay home awhile.And like leaf keep an eye on my pipes. Tonight is supposed to be the coldest temps. My pets only went out on a have to basis.
My grandson is spending the night. Bless his heart he's trying to decide between two ladies.I'm glad not to have those decisions to make anymore.My biggest decision seems to be Do i put the hotpad on my arthritic knee or hip.LOL
Eva, i have the same laundry system you do. Being single does have it's advantages.I have just recently started eating out of the pan i warm the food in. Well........i'm the only one who will eat it.
The central midwest forum is the first place i went to when i joined DG. Than went to mid south and here. I like it here the best. Just feel at home.And the pets forum of course.Nights i can't sleep i go just about anywhere.
As to global warming or ice age. I love to read scientific papers. One of my favorites is the weather and climate. The people in the know are split down the middle what the climate is going to do. The wisest prediction is "There are too many variables to predict longterm weather. After all a butterfly flapping it's wings in South America can cause a thunder storm in Kansas."
Vickie

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow, that must be a BiG butterfly!
(hehehehe ^_^)
Sheri

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Think so?!!!
LOL

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Those who oppose the global warming theory are blocked from attending the meetings and summits on the subject. They only want to hear their side of the story. Scientists who publish articles or talk about not believing it in are shunned, degraded, disgraced,etc. to try to shut them up. The global warming people are so afraid they may be wrong they can't stand to have opposition.

I like the modern conveinences. I grew up without most of them and don't really want to got back to that way of life on a permanent basis.

Some of my dogs only go out for the basics too. Some tho are more hardy and will stay out quite a while playing in the snow. It is the frostbite temps that concern me.

I've talked to a neighbor or 2 and the n/s road have 4' or so of snow in them. E/w ones are better but need to be cleaned. So I will stay home until I hear the big country machines go thru and hear roads are clear both ways. It's the birds I am most concerned about. I can make stew -venison with barley - for the dogs and cats to get us thru the weekend. I have to get my internet bill paid too or I'll lose it. I suppose I can call and have it taken out of my checking account this month. They don't open for another hour or so tho.

I think I'll call the country road department soon and see when they are going to clear the roads out here. I'll tell them there are people stuck in ditches, etc., people who need to get to work, etc. so these roads need to be cleaned. One neighbor use to clean the roads until someone complained that he didn't do something right and he was told to stop doing it.

GOD bless and keep each and all of you.
EvaMae

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I think the science community has a more friendly atmosphere now.
Am really tired of this extreme weather. did some kitchen rearrainging today.
Hope Carrie and scraps are ok.
Vickie

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

With all the rain we’ve had this year, I don’t know what we would do if our neighbor did not maintain our road. We do the hand work such as shoveling sand out of drainage pipes, but he has the big equipment. I think one of the reasons our neighbors support the idea of a community garden here is that it might get the county to pave the road sooner.
The one absolute I’ve heard about climate change is the world climate is slowly getting drier. Almost all scientists agree we are headed for desertification, but I even have my doubts about that this year.

I read a fascinating article in Analog a few months ago. A freelance writer did an inspection of the weather stations where the data the scientist use to create their theories is collected. Most of the data collection sites did not follow guidelines. There were mistakes so obvious anyone could see them. Jim cackled over what he saw in some of the photos the man took of the sites he visited. There were situations like thermometers located next to heat absorbing asphalt parking lots and placed where the outside exhaust fans of A.C. units were blowing on them. The scientist may come up with valid theories based on the data they have, but if the data itself isn’t a valid reflection of reality……. As they say in computer science, “Garbage in, garbage out.” A scientific theory is only as valid as the data it is based on this writer (whose name I can’t remember at the moment) has caused the scientific community some serious embarrassment. I do think the scientist believed what they wrote. They just never thought to question the data sources.
I may end up feeding my dogs some deer meat, as well. Deer must be EXTREMELY plentiful this year. Three people gave us venison over the holidays. I might also try making jerky with some of it. Two also gave baskets of oranges. (I think that is what the children are selling this year to make money for their schools.) I will have to try my hand at orange marmalade, as well.
I feel fine after the fall, but don’t think I will be going to church this Sunday. I still look scary. Like I went a round with Mike Tyson. No snow here, but plenty of ice that I have learned to be very wary of! Hope all are doing well. *Kay*

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

(((Hugs Kay))))

mulege, Mexico

My leg is finallly healing. Now comes the fun of struggling to get back from three weeks of being incapacitted. It's amazing how quickly my muscles deteriorate. On Saturday I brown bagged one small wall in my storage room and I've hardly been able to move since.

I am getting a lot of my craft stuff sorted and labeled and in boxes where they are more protected from the endless dust that comes from living in a desert.

I'm feeling irritable; I think that means I'm getting better.

katie the grump

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I have missed you all so much. My computer or it's owner stays out of order alot. Thankfully I have a cousin who eventually comes around and gets us back online until we mess it up again. I got a big surprise for the holidays. My oldest DD(jess age 28) is going to have a baby. She has two step children but has been married for 3 years and has not taken birthcontrol because she wanted a baby so badly. She had female problems all her adult life and thought she would not be able to have a baby. So it was a Christmas miracle she says. I knew it would happen when and if God saw it was time. It was very strange that she kept getting viruses or having migraines that caused nausea. Finally I said girl why don't you get a pregnancy test and just check it. She thought this old lady was crazy and told her friends she just did it to shut me up. Lol, that smart remark bit her in the backside. She drove to my house, an hour away, to take it just to shut me up and she wound up crying her sweet eyes out because she was so excited. Then she went to the health department and got them to do one just to be sure. However, she is a diabetic and had to go in the hospital today to be put on insulin. So please keep her in your prayers. Ok that is enough about me and mine. I tried to read and catch up on everyones news but may have missed something. I hope not but I wish you all a Happy New Year and hope you are well.

Katie, I am sorry about your dogbitebut happy to hear you are on the mend.

Evamay, Try to take care in this arctic weather we are having. It has been cold here also. We are not accustom to the temps being in the teens and snow flurries. So I have just stayed indoors and read or crocheted. I now have baby stuff to crochet. hehehe I am so excited.

Carrie, I am glad you liked the crochet scarf set. I wanted to share one with someone who would actually use it. I am curious to know if they are warm enough for you. We just use them as accessories here. They do not have to be warm just cute. I am also curious to know your daughter's opinion on them. Most teens like them around here.

Kay, I am sorry about your spill on the ice and hope you are ok by now.. Years ago during a rare icestorm, I stepped out of my back door to throw a few tablescraps to my kitty and took a spill down 2 levels of the deck and onto the icy ground in my underwear and a tshirt. I could not pull myself back up on the porch because I kept slipping back down and I was freezing. I called until I woke my daughter up, because it was 5 a.m. and she was asleep. She was 5 years old and could not figure out where I was and finally got brave enough to open the backdoor and found me. I told her to pull a quilt off of my bed and lay on the deck so I could get back up there and get inside. It took about 20 minutes to get her out there. I got bruises on my backside and elbows but recovered. I lived out in the country so there was nobody else to help. I am Thankful she even heard me calling out to her that early in the morning. We never forget hummiliation like that. Thank goodness you have Jim there to help you.

Gotta go to bed because I have to go to hospital tomorrow to see my DD. Love and Prayers to all, scraps

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.