Fungus or algea? Either way, its disgusting and has to go!

Dahlonega, GA

Good for you . That stuff shows up each year at the base of a cut tree stump in my front yard .

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

What kind of tree?

Dahlonega, GA

Red oak stump. I will see it again when the weather warms up. It's only about the size of a saucer and haven't noticed it anywhere else .

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

According to what little I could find on it.. seems to be attracted to river birch.. we dont have any but the neighb does... curses!

Got oaks though, but not near wehre the stuff likes to thrive.

Ima thinking that hte stuff likes decay from that bitrtch. They got pine needles in my lane too...so perhaps that is what is feeding it...but it acts liek an algea of sorts dontcha think!

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Now that the snow is melting, the brown slimy algae stuff is plumping up on my gravel driveway. It got worse after my DH sprayed Roundup on the driveway weeds, so I think it feeds on decayed vegetable material. Of course, being sprayed with Roundup had no effect on the slime creature. Re-grading sounds like a good idea. I guess it's time to order a truck-load of slime-free gravel from the local pit.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

aG LIME...???

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Although I've never tested it, I'm guessing there's a high limestone content to the local gravel and sand, as I live near the limestone Niagara Escarpment, my well water is "limey", and I can't grow rhododendrons and other acid-loving plants for the life of me. Alkaline gravel is what the Slime likes, yes? I was thinking of callling it Lime Slime, but I like the name Slime Bob better.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Blimey! Slimey! LOL!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I wonder if something like vinegar would kill it.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dont know, but so far this spring "SLIME BOB" has not reared his ugly head. Praise GOD!

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Blossom, y'all are just dreaming! He's there lurking...
Muoohahaha :-)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I know... then I wakes up to a monstor storm just groaning to plum and pump him up..

well if he rears up I will let ya'll know the continuing soggy of the "Beast"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.