Fungus or algea? Either way, its disgusting and has to go!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, I thought it would have dried up over the winter.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, it dries alright, it freeze dries only to plump up when the rains come like jello.. its soooooo gross! So arent I lucky, the winter drive is slick as snot from ice and snow and then the summer its slick as snot from this slime!

Well we have pretty much determined it is feeding on wood decay that has to be in the gravel from the trees that drop their limbs and decay there...byt geez, the slime like expands mega bucks over its consumtion in size!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, sounds like the old Steve McQueen movie, The Blob!!

This message was edited Feb 9, 2010 2:08 AM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

You got it!!! Hmmm I wonder if that isnt wher they got the idea! Can anyone remember how they beat that thing to a pulp????

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

They froze it!! Sorry, Blossum.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Well.. choot! Been going through a couple winters here and it aint frozed its slimey keester yet! We now have the Steve McQueen version of SUPER BLOB!

Im dreading the spring rains! Right about then its JELLO time! Ima thinking the flameweeder is gonna be the only hope.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

You may be right. There probably is some kind of nasty chemical that would work too, or maybe rock salt.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well dont like the idea of rock salt, getting enough of the road salt fromthe highway...I think the BLOB likes it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I wonder how it would respond to lime? Ric

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I beleive it loves lime, since the driveway here is an ag lime type gravel!

I say kill the tree thats feeding it, that would maybe take away its primary food source.

It would probably be on any rock form.

We have kindof determined that that is its primary cause is the decay from the birch tree droppings. But still not getting the spread of the jello away from the tree... it is just weird.

We are going to try several things in the spring. do patches on it and see what woooorks best. If anything........ugh!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Very strange. The Dept of Ag wasn't able to help?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for a call back.. Grrrrrr!

Bout ready to try another county.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here it is in all its slimey OZEEE gory!

We have just begun to get rain here and so my "blob" is not as inflated looking as the one above.. but just a couple weeks ago it was freeze dried. Now it is coming back to jello. UGH!

If you have a weak tummy... DONT LOOK!

yek!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Was scouting around again on the internet and came across this page....

I tell ya, its soooo gross even the dog will not eat it! (Not that I would feed it to her, but she has been known to consume the most disgusting of things....)

http://healing-mushrooms.net/archives/exidia-glandulosa.html#comment-1849

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That sounds like what you've been describing.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have found nothing else closer to it. NOW, for the elimination of it.....

I got spring rains and snow off and on for a bit. so cannot do anything until the snow at least has gone and I get some dry days.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Spoke to soon, the guy at the USDA said it could be a NOSTIC....

Im like what the (blank blank blank)!

Gotta mess with our minds and toss in another ickcuss among us.

He sez go here.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostoc

His thoughts.. bleach might take it dow or the dragon weeder was a good idea... I said yeah right, until I get the blanking LP bill for that one...so ok, there we have it....

The ickcuss among us!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Excuse me, thats n-o-s-t-o-c

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Blossum, Send it to Asia!

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Huh?!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

C'mon over, will load it up.. any volunteers for shipping?

So far this spring the d*** crap is not as bad, but then we have not had the rains to activate it. I swear though its from across the fence. Its a pigpen.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Just read this thread. FYI. at least where I live you can rent those flamethrower thingies pretty reasonably...

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yeah, the rental is cheap.. its the fuel for it thats a killer.. danged if I do danged f I dont, however, this year so far its not as bad as the previous year.. so maybe it will go away too on its own? I figure though what ever it it, kill its food source then ya got it made.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I see a budding business here......... my sister's stew will kill it for sure........now how to make a big enough batch and get it shipped. .......

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Funny thing going on here.. short while back the hub graded the driveway.. we aint seen the SLIME BLOB since.

Been wondering if the derned thing does not have a life cycle that just up and runs out now?!

Dang, I sooo wnated to try the DRAGON WEEDER....

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Or.. it is quietly lurking underground waiting for an unsuspecting human to walk by so it can reach up and GRAB him, and use him for Slimefood!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LIke a cancer aint it!? Call the gaurds.. set those laser beams on Chemo or radiation.. that oughta blast it? LOL!

Well, seriously now, I dont need Chemo, Im pulling my hairs our naturally!

Ima still thinking, starve the thing, then it dies...course then there just might be plenty of dung for that creature to feed on.. as it quietly lurks....

Quietly lurks and

and

and

then WHAAAAM!

Well tune in next time for old BLOSSOMS' adventure with SLIME BLOB!

HAH! Ole BLOSSOM's gonna getcha! Come hell or high water, I'm gunning for ya son of a gun BLOB!

Sounds like a job for Captain Kirk and Spock.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Calling Dr Spock, Calling Dr Spock.. maybe we ought to call Dr Bumbay too! Hehehehe!!

Its funny, some of the research I have found on this thing.. I have been reading how some fungus among us are medicinal and makes ya wonder if fungus stew woudl not be the cure for cancer.. but kids, dont eat this thing we are not sure if this particular one is one of those!

Maybe we should call SPONGE BLOB and let him sponge up on the notion! LOL!

Well, were watching it...hoping its breathed or slimed its last, but I seriously doubt it..

I just have that oooOooo-some feeling, like the Terminator the thing will be screaming .. I ll be baaaack!

give it a try...start small....like on a mosquito bite.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! I am gonna have to wait until it reserrects itself.. personally, I dont want the thing near me!

We have had some rain, but no reserection yet.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Awwww dang.. its baaaaaaack.. Im about ready to send this slime to apathologist.. maybe they can help! Be my luck the thing causes cancer.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh No... The Return of Sponge Blob!!! Wish you could send that Creature to a Black Lagoon.

Have you had a lot of rain? RCN's area has been dry and she hasn't mentioned it coming back.

Watch your step. Don't want you squishing and splatting.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Rain... rain.. did you say RRRain!? LOL! OMG its monsoon-toadtwister-huricane wind season here! Been getting 2-4 plus inches EVERY few days, the water table is very high and we are saturated! Its been one wild start to summer. I live in tornado alley.

So far have not seen any cows or tractors flying through the air, but did see some wreckage in a town whre I used to live where 30 some plus homes were demolished by the twisters there. Not a pretty site!

This pic was a couple days ago... there are several pre-tornados in that pic and they were right over our ranch!

Im serious, I think I am gonna ask a pathologist about Sponge Blob here..! what do I have to lose.. but I best ask for his bill first before diving in! I hate to see someone fall on it.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Blossum, On DG, we have the deluged vs the parched. We too are getting high winds, lightning, thunder & twisters, even earthquakes just no darned water!! It's been around 95 here for over three weeks and we've had the hottest windiest driest spring in memory. No shrooms to be had anywhere around here, which is the Mushroom capital of the US. In late March, i scrubbed last fall's Algae off of the shady side of the house. Usually I have to do it again by the end of May. It's as clear today as when I first cleaned it. The moss has been retreating and my ground has even been cracking open, yes, in the areas that are usually moss covered. We went from being under 4 & 5 feet of snow in late March to 95 degree weather in early April.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Sounds like it is time to go to war! The Blob evidently likes limestone, so maybe splash it with something acidic, like strong vinegar. Or, I use powdered sulfer to lower the ph of our soil, maybe that would work? You can probably pick that up at any Nursery. Or... maybe bleach? Of course, do be careful not to combine anything if you don't know what might happen... Of course, a mild explosion might be just the ticket...
:-)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

FLAME killing! Well I think I know what will get rid of it, but that means something really drastic.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

It would seem that the thing to do, other than flame throwing, would be to read up on what not to do when attempting to raise funghi and then do just those things. I know that soil toxicity and chemical runoff are prime among your concerns. I think Avianut has pointed you down the right path.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I suggest you visit this web site

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page1621.html#1623

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, since there is two possible ID's onthe "critter" and no way to make a positive ID, we have backed off of it.. Right now its all crispy.. which would be a good time to flame it, but....im hoping I can talk to someone else to get a positive ID on it... It truly is both amazing and annoying!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.