Fungus or algea? Either way, its disgusting and has to go!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Merrymath, that is a good site listing a lot of potentially useful products. The site did not give any "scientific" explanations or disclosures of the products except to claim that those for outdoor use were not harmful to humans or plants.

I looked further for some information on one they'd recommended for outdoor use. This information is supplied by the manufacturer:

http://www.shieldindustries.com/F_MBRmsds.htm

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

So, tell us, how is Sponge Blob doing? Is he still there? (Are YOU still there, or did he finally slime you to death?) :-)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Sponge Blob is a crispy critter right now dehydrated due to the dry summer, waiting to reserect its ugly self on the first rain as it always does. UGH!

Be a good time to break out the flame weeder though.. wish I had one!
Guess I wil have to take a [pic of it to show it off

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, here is Sponge Blob on a starvation diet....he is a crispy critter due to dehydration.

Its the black stuff in the rocks... its like flakes...

No sooner will it rain and he will be back to his black slippery oozee onry self again.

I do not seem to have as much as last year. The stuff never goes away.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I swear it has to be a collapsible landing pad for a spaceship, or food for the little green guys. It is just tooo weird! It does look like a candidate for a weed burner right now, though. How can you resist?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Last I checked on the cost of a flame thrower, it was still out of our budget.. sooo donations are sure whole heartedly welcome!

This thing is insane! Annd now I got rain and the blow up doll will be baaaack!

Watch yer step! Im not so sure my insurance will cover you, but the SPONGE BLOB will!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah one never knows where one will learn the truth.

A while back my hubby bought a flame 'thrower' for he driveway weeds. Long driveway of gravel and was taking forever to take care of weeds and not doing a great job of it with sprays etc.) I asked "How much?" and he said 'Not a lot." Then last week the darn thing stopped working (I bet it was used less than 10 times since last year) and I told him to just tinker with it..there didn't seem much to it and so not too much to break...maybe clogged (?)

Sunday I saw a brand new one sitting on the porch. I offered my opinion that he should have tinkered with the old before he went and got a new one. He said 'Pennies" (SUCH A LIAR!)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, thats why theres a gate and a lock on the lane..

Boys and their toys..!

spank him!

You know when a man says "not a lot" just remember when they go fishing and tell you how big the "whale" was!

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I wonder what effect boiling water woul have.

Bark River, MI

Just came across this thread -- we have the same thing, mainly in our gravel driveway as well, although now that I think about it, I don't think I've actually seen any of it yet this year. It really is nasty, although somewhat interesting, the way it changes from dried-up harmless-looking black flakes to its Dr. Jekyll form of slimy stuff!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Any moisture makes the blob the BLOB! I have wondering about maybe trying barn lyme! Next time its wet.. powder its sorry self!

Well, thats why theres a gate and a lock on the lane..

Love it - I haven't heard that one yet. (I'll even let him take BOTH flame throwers) One to remind him of his transgression ....and the other in case life just ain't any fun without me!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The next insurance policy is a mean dog and a shotgun! LOL!

Yup, Smith and Wesson Insurance! LOL!

Course, SlimeBob is a silent killer! Sa-lip!

Had not thought of that A Slime Bob Bog! "I don't know Officer, ...he was walking down the trail carrying that new flame thrower and he stepped into a huge patch of that wierd fungus stuff that we have growing...next thing I knew...the only thing left was his huntin' cap." "Then, I swear it sounded like The Bog gave a big burp...like it had indigestion!"

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, I keep meaning to ask RCN how hers is doing. With the draught that we've had in the Mid Atlantic, I'll bet that hers is black flakes too. I just found the first mushroom all year in my yard on Saturday.

Blossum, Lyme might be worth a try. The boiling water might be too, although the runoff might wake some parts of it up. I'll ask Deb and see if hers is still alive.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

ROTF!!! Look Officer, really, it slipped! As his hunting cap sits out in the middle of the bog witj a burrrp! LOL! I say, lets hire Rothchilds Sewage sucking. Its either the flame thrower, a vacuum or that or we get on our hands and knees and remove the flakes like lint with duct tape. Hmmm maybe I could take the leaf blower and blow it off, but then where would it go?

Um, the gravel its growing on is lyme.....right now it is dry, but its just waiting again to juice up with any moisture.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I've got it! Package it and sell it as a kid's stocking-stuffer for Christmas "Everyone can own their own Blob... Just Add Water..."
You'll make a fortune and can afford to MOVE!

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Now that's a creative idea! Could add .... a terrific science project.

Mary

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Or or or or..how about a new additive for the BLOB SLIP AND SLIDE! For speedier travel. whooosh!

BLOB WRESTLING! Just like JE-low but butter!

Or or or....

I wonder if ole SlimeBob would be a good mulch...water retention and all that....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

you mean like them gell pellets you put in containers for retaining water? I guess that depends on if it is a nostic. Other than wanting to kill anyone that walks on it, it seems otherwise harmless... I wish I had a way to "diagnose" what it really is. Maybe I got a cure for cancer and dont know it!

Blossom - maybe YOU GOT A WRINKLE REMOVER. Send me some and I will try it out. I got some wrinkles no creme can get out.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I got wrinkles too and would not put this on a butt crack!

Id really like however to send it to someone who can give me a positive ID and tell us what it is! If you are out there listening to this crisis, please D-mail me your addie and I will pack ya some up if you have a valid scientifical way to say hey BLOSSOM, its this beast or that! Put the slimey thing under a microscope and say EUREKA!

I would hate to send this curse to someone who is really not gonna be helpful in that department or one that cant help ID it. I want a positive ID because there is a diference between it being a nostic and the other!

So ok, yooooohoooo! drop me a line!

I have run it by my health department,that was useless, and well, the DOA had no clue...and Im still no further along with this monstor than I was when it first appeared to me in this nightmare!

Can you imagine, if this thing is some weird cure for cancer how many lives we
could save by getting it to the right department!

Ok, guys, lets hope someone is there for us! Its past time to battle SLIME BOB!

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Maybe send it to your nearest State University? I have used the Pathology Lab at ours ($20. fee) several times to good result!
Frustrating, though!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

yeah gads! $20? There goes my subscription to DG!

Bark River, MI

Maybe we could just enter our slime in the DG county fair ? (send your slime in directly, no photos...)

;-)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, Ima tempted to box it up and make purdy lil Christmas pressies for all my friends! I think every one needs a SLIME BOB WATCH DOG.

Those wanting in to spread the "joy", well you know where Im at! LOL! Send your lil box to me in a SASE in 30 days and win the prize! LOL!

I mean really this thing is like a rubber booger, but worse! It keeps coming back. I would like to send it back to sender address UNKNOWN!

We got a problem though... The postmaster might not allow for it to go in the mail .. you know how they get about mailing dangerous substances! HLS is getting stinky!

That's it!!! Halloween is coming !!! Kids LOVE boogers. Package it up and when you hear their sweet 'Trick or Treat" ..give them a chunk of booger - just label it so no ingesting!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh ya'll are too funny!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Well, spring is right around the corner, so just curious as to what the progress is on SlimeBob? Did you kill him? Give him away for Halloween? Is he under snow and just waiting for spring?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, we have not seen it yet.. been under snow.. no one would take him at Halloween, so I think he islying in wait to ambush us agani this spring. Time will tell...

Anyone else but lil OLD me got this monstor?

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

I actually think that we have something very similar. But fortunately, not the huge area of it that you have. Ours is smaller, and grows on a rocky hillside instead of in our gravel driveway. I would love to know what works on yours, for elimination, so when ours starts spreading, I can eliminate it! Right now it grows between 2 of my beds, where there is supposed to be grass, but the lawn is not good there, so am working on improving it. And I really don't think I want this SlimeBob interfering with my lawn this spring. Ours is still under 2-3 ft of snow.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, it does not appear to be a lawn problem.. just trhives on the rocks!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

So, if I can get grass to grow good there, maybe it will disappear?! LOL! But, because that area of the yard is so rocky, and the dirt is clay, and really crappy, it's also why I can't get grass to grow there, either. ;-) Wonder what would happen if I brought in a few inches of top soil and just tilled it in, or would that slimy stuff just grow right up through it? That would be my luck, and the stuff would probably thrive, lol!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Mine must be something different tho, cuz there is no trees around mine and the neighbors are a long way off. Wonder how close the trees need to be?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Got a picture of it?

I dont want grass on our driveway and certainly done need SLIMEBOB!

Olympia, WA

Another newcomer to the thread - and in the middle of all the terror, I learn that Nostoc grows symbiotically with Gunnera. OMG!!!!! I mean - Nostoc exists (for me) only as a memory of a filamentous algae from my earliest bio labs in college. Gunnera grows magnificently in my yard today. Symbionts? Incredible!!!!!!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

come and get it.. all you can lap up for free! hehehehe! I DONT WANT IT be it nostic, casutic, blostic or otherwise. It is a menace to the driveway society.

Dahlonega, GA

Blossum , whut hoppon wid yore slime ? Still gut it ? I seen thet stuff an jest nore it . It gone in a few days.Shore glad it be yourn sted ob mine . Digger

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, presently, we are not skating on it. We graded the driveway.. maybe we buried it for now?

(edited fer spellin'!!!)

This message was edited Mar 14, 2011 5:18 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.